Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
This time of year I am thankful that I had the good sense to get married on NYE, making it a totally reasonable request that the one day per year I ask off is the best holiday.

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

I am drunk, assume I have everyone's best interest at heart.

heard, chef

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Thanks, bro.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mezzanon posted:

Everybody in the industry enjoy your one day off today!

Unless you work in a hospital and volunteer for the shift! Sweet sweet triple time (by spending a PLT day.)

e - and in the interest of sharing then, I'm making 13.98 an hour as a Senior Cook. Making that fun low sodium food for our patients.

Mercedes Colomar fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Dec 26, 2015

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe

e: I think its important to know how much other people make. If my employees don't know I make 15/hr, how can they possibly know now much their labor means to the company?

I know thats kinda abstract, but yearly income shouldn't be something you hide, especially among us. I made 47600ish this year, I want you all to know that. If someone trusts you to run their drat restaurant, that's what you;re worth. That is our strength, do not resent it, embrace it.

Agreed. I've noticed talking about pay is kind of a social faux pas in the industry especially, and I think it just makes it easier for employers to exploit their workers. I've wrestled my way up to $14/hr, up from $10/hr a year and two restaurants ago. At the year-ago resto, nobody really knew what anybody else made because when hired, chef would just ask what someone was looking for. In my case, and the one guy I talked to about it, he accepted the first offer (between $10 and $11 for us). Since then, I've done much easier jobs for more money, which leads me to believe I should have argued for higher pay.

Invisible Ted fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Dec 26, 2015

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

So my new manager was not allowed to go home and bury his father. What. The. gently caress.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Secret Spoon posted:

So my new manager was not allowed to go home and bury his father. What. The. gently caress.

That's the sort of poo poo you quit on the spot for

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Hauki posted:

For real. I wouldn't be surprised if I don't see him this week, I wouldn't blame him one drat bit.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Invisible Ted posted:

Agreed. I've noticed talking about pay is kind of a social faux pas in the industry especially, and I think it just makes it easier for employers to exploit their workers. I've wrestled my way up to $14/hr, up from $10/hr a year and two restaurants ago. At the year-ago resto, nobody really knew what anybody else made because when hired, chef would just ask what someone was looking for. In my case, and the one guy I talked to about it, he accepted the first offer (between $10 and $11 for us). Since then, I've done much easier jobs for more money, which leads me to believe I should have argued for higher pay.

This exactly. At my previous job I was making $12/hr after four years with the company, for nearly a year without a raise, despite doing literally 300% more work in the new store. My GM repeatedly told me that I was his highest paid kitchen employee, I found out that the new guy had been hired in at $12.50 an hour.

In retrospect, this information being divulged to me was very likely intentional and intended to garner a reaction that would provide a solid case for terminating me. And of course, I took the bait and called my GM out, though not as they had hoped. I'm rambling but in short knowing what was going on put into motion a chain of events that led to me being fired from a terrible job and finding a much better one where the income isn't quite what I want, but I'm not so miserable that it's affecting my physical and mental health.

Hauki posted:

I agree with the sentiment here. With both of my grandmothers' it was a very polite tone and "This is what's going on and this is the date I need my shift covered." The proper response to a refusal for bereavement leave is "Ok, that's fine. As I said, I won't be here on [dates]. Feel free to deal with that however you feel necessary." Then it becomes a case of termination, you maintain the moral high ground, and you can file unemployment while generally giving your boss a massive headache.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I'm not regretting not being in restaurants over the holidays.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Manuel Calavera posted:

Unless you work in a hospital and volunteer for the shift! Sweet sweet triple time (by spending a PLT day.)

e - and in the interest of sharing then, I'm making 13.98 an hour as a Senior Cook. Making that fun low sodium food for our patients.

Hahaha my girlfriend works at the hospital in the emergency room (not in the industry though, she has a grown-up job)

Anyways, she picked up a 3 hour shift today, and at double time and a half she made a sweet $91/hour.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dang, not bad. I made 41.94 an hour, and we had around 170 or so employees come through for their free holiday meal, not counting visitors or patients. (I was still up front in the bistro. After New Year's is when I shift back into my current position, since we still had to train the new people that're taking over my former position.)

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

Mezzanon posted:

Hahaha my girlfriend works at the hospital in the emergency room (not in the industry though, she has a grown-up job)

Anyways, she picked up a 3 hour shift today, and at double time and a half she made a sweet $91/hour.

I prefer to think of holiday pay shifts in terms of dollars per minute. $1.52/minute? Sign me up.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Man, I do not remember posting in this thread at all.

And I wasn't even hungover this morning!

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Clearly you didn't drink enough.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Leaving in 15 minutes for literally two weeks of paid leave to see my family for the first time in donkey's years.

Feels nice :unsmith:

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Manuel Calavera posted:

Dang, not bad. I made 41.94 an hour, and we had around 170 or so employees come through for their free holiday meal, not counting visitors or patients. (I was still up front in the bistro. After New Year's is when I shift back into my current position, since we still had to train the new people that're taking over my former position.)

Hi 5 dude. That's about what I make an hour as well.

I am thankful for all you restaurant people working the holidays. I'm glad I don't have to do it anymore.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Hi 5 dude. That's about what I make an hour as well.

I am thankful for all you restaurant people working the holidays. I'm glad I don't have to do it anymore.

Hey, I'mma be in SA for PAX again this year, going down a day early though, lets get lunch/dinner.

In other news, someone hit our other sous on his way into work today. Motorcycle's totaled, ALL of his ribs are cracked and his sternum is broken. Sounds like he's going to okay though, minus all the pain. Said he didn't know if they caught the guy, literally just ran him over from behind.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Hey, I'mma be in SA for PAX again this year, going down a day early though, lets get lunch/dinner.

In other news, someone hit our other sous on his way into work today. Motorcycle's totaled, ALL of his ribs are cracked and his sternum is broken. Sounds like he's going to okay though, minus all the pain. Said he didn't know if they caught the guy, literally just ran him over from behind.

Sorry for your dude. Also done, where do you want to go? I'm buying.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Sorry for your dude. Also done, where do you want to go? I'm buying.

No idea, what's good?

I do plan on getting absolutely poo poo faced every night we're there, a buddy at CIG can get me into all the after parties, woo!

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

No idea, what's good?

I do plan on getting absolutely poo poo faced every night we're there, a buddy at CIG can get me into all the after parties, woo!

Southerleigh is really good. Supper at the Hotel Emma is supposed to be really good, I haven't been yet. Those are fancy. If you aren't feeling fancy Smoke Shack, Dignowity Meats and Kimura are all really good.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Simoom posted:

As a guy who has made it his life goal this year to be one of those guys with his name on a menu, please dont tell the thread how much you make

If you're in this business for money, start sticking mice up your rear end for a dollar a time in a Tijuana dive bar. It'll come out more profitable.

Merry Christmas you filthy animals, and may god have mercy on your soul for NYE.

infiniteguest
May 14, 2009

oh god oh god

The Midniter posted:

Because it's not my problem? If someone has a serious issue with sodium, they should 1) know that regardless of the type, cheese is going to have salt in it, and 2) be vigilant about asking what does or does not have salt in it, which at a restaurant is going to be pretty much everything. In my experience, most food allergies or sensitivities are made up or psychosomatic bullshit anyway, so I'm not going to waste my breath for this special snowflake. See WroughtIrony's famous tale about this.

Anyway, she enjoyed the food, had a lovely time, and didn't keel over so all was well in the end. They even tipped well.

Just a couple things:

Salt isn't strictly a necessary component for cheesemaking. It's really commonly used for aging cheese but a high sodium content isn't like, a given for goat cheese. (Presumably the only common element in goat's cheese is goat's milk.)

That lady might have gone home and had panicky heart palpitations all night. This isn't your fault, but it still isn't cool.

Be nice. Hospitality is about offering people a nice space and treating them with respect. Nobody has to be a doormat for guests but bare minimum you should give the people in your care the same level of respect you would give to say, a friend of a friend. If you think someone ordered something that might hurt them, don't be a snarky dick about it, tell them. If you think someone is faking an allergy or a sensitivity, who cares?

TheSnowySoviet
May 12, 2004

It never got weird enough for me.

infiniteguest posted:

Be nice. Hospitality is about offering people a nice space and treating them with respect. Nobody has to be a doormat for guests but bare minimum you should give the people in your care the same level of respect you would give to say, a friend of a friend. If you think someone ordered something that might hurt them, don't be a snarky dick about it, tell them. If you think someone is faking an allergy or a sensitivity, who cares?

That first part is absolutely true -- respecting the experience of your guests is super-important. That being said, inane customer requests are absolutely A Thing that BOH has to deal with as well, especially ones as broad as "no salt," "no oil," or "ABSOLUTELY NO GLUTEN OKAY" in a kitchen that's no gluten-free. If I, as a cook, care about the guest experience, then I'm going to need to badger them with a ton of questions to make sure that their request ("cook with/without this ingredient/technique that's not normally something you do here") matches up with what my chef wants our food to come out like, food safety rules & regulations, and the breach of common sense inherent in going to a place that serves food one way and asking for it not just modified (totally acceptable), but made a completely different way. In my experience, most customers react one of two ways to these questions:

1) They back down immediately, and their serious dietary restriction or allergy becomes "okay this time," and only inconvenient when they want it to be. This is an okay response, but it does kinda inherently mean that they were initially exaggerating the severity of their predicament, or;

2) They become frustrated that a cook caring legitimately about their health would ask questions to better understand, in which case what they're really after is an allergic reaction or whatever because they're eating somewhere where the cooks don't care. This often leads to "just make it the way I'm telling you to make it"-type conversations, and since I'm Chef's cook and not Their Personal Cook, and we're in Chef's Restaurant and not Their Kitchen, we're at an impasse.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
No salt isn't something hard for us to do for proteins. We just don't salt them before tossing them on a grill or in a sauté pan.the only odd one was someone who must have been my grandmother since she insisted on Montreal steak seasoning but no salt in the rest of her meal. (tbf, Montreal steak seasoning has a weeks worth of salt in it)

We already have 600 on he books for NYE. And 7 for new years day. I really hope we post a sign or something since this is the first time we've been open on New years. 7. I don't want to have to clean poo poo for 6 hours.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

AA is for Quitters posted:

We already have 600 on he books for NYE. And 7 for new years day. I really hope we post a sign or something since this is the first time we've been open on New years. 7. I don't want to have to clean poo poo for 6 hours.

I've seen plenty of business on a new years day because we were the only ones open so it'll depend on what your local competition is doing.

infiniteguest
May 14, 2009

oh god oh god

TheSnowySoviet posted:

That first part is absolutely true -- respecting the experience of your guests is super-important. That being said, inane customer requests are absolutely A Thing that BOH has to deal with as well, especially ones as broad as "no salt," "no oil," or "ABSOLUTELY NO GLUTEN OKAY" in a kitchen that's no gluten-free. If I, as a cook, care about the guest experience, then I'm going to need to badger them with a ton of questions to make sure that their request ("cook with/without this ingredient/technique that's not normally something you do here") matches up with what my chef wants our food to come out like, food safety rules & regulations, and the breach of common sense inherent in going to a place that serves food one way and asking for it not just modified (totally acceptable), but made a completely different way. In my experience, most customers react one of two ways to these questions:

1) They back down immediately, and their serious dietary restriction or allergy becomes "okay this time," and only inconvenient when they want it to be. This is an okay response, but it does kinda inherently mean that they were initially exaggerating the severity of their predicament, or;

2) They become frustrated that a cook caring legitimately about their health would ask questions to better understand, in which case what they're really after is an allergic reaction or whatever because they're eating somewhere where the cooks don't care. This often leads to "just make it the way I'm telling you to make it"-type conversations, and since I'm Chef's cook and not Their Personal Cook, and we're in Chef's Restaurant and not Their Kitchen, we're at an impasse.

I don't think there's anything wrong with telling a guest that a request can't be accommodated. I've previously been employed by a company that was pretty notorious for saying no to a lot of requests - no substitutions, no ordering inappropriate items to take home, no modifications that would be an unnecessary burden on the kitchen during busy periods. I don't feel that good hospitality requires you to do whatever a gust wants, but it's absolutely crucial to be open and communicative about what they want vs. what they will be getting. A person ordering a well done quail would probably be better off ordering something else completely, and it's worth it in my mind to let them know that in a respectful way rather than just letting them order food they either won't enjoy or that won't fully comply with their own perceived needs.

The trend of people relaying their own preferences as allergies (garlic allergy when they just don't like garlicky food, parsley, whatever) is a failing on the restaurant industry in my mind. I've spoken to a lot of people who say they feel cagey and judged when they dine out because they are picky eaters or whatever, and that should absolutely not be the case. We are both the people who engage in food & beverage professionally, and the ones who are getting paid for this transaction, so I think it is fundamentally our responsibility to make these people feel comfortable and capable of expressing their desires. The better we can know what our guest wants, the better equipped we are to take all of their money give them a gracious, welcoming experience.

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

infiniteguest posted:

I don't think there's anything wrong with telling a guest that a request can't be accommodated. I've previously been employed by a company that was pretty notorious for saying no to a lot of requests - no substitutions, no ordering inappropriate items to take home, no modifications that would be an unnecessary burden on the kitchen during busy periods. I don't feel that good hospitality requires you to do whatever a gust wants, but it's absolutely crucial to be open and communicative about what they want vs. what they will be getting. A person ordering a well done quail would probably be better off ordering something else completely, and it's worth it in my mind to let them know that in a respectful way rather than just letting them order food they either won't enjoy or that won't fully comply with their own perceived needs.

The trend of people relaying their own preferences as allergies (garlic allergy when they just don't like garlicky food, parsley, whatever) is a failing on the restaurant industry in my mind. I've spoken to a lot of people who say they feel cagey and judged when they dine out because they are picky eaters or whatever, and that should absolutely not be the case. We are both the people who engage in food & beverage professionally, and the ones who are getting paid for this transaction, so I think it is fundamentally our responsibility to make these people feel comfortable and capable of expressing their desires. The better we can know what our guest wants, the better equipped we are to take all of their money give them a gracious, welcoming experience.

Like, good point, but people who insist on an allergy mod when they really just have a preference are terrible and just make life more difficult for the staff AND those with actual allergies.
Also, hi thread! I was a server for years and years, but I've been a cook for 6ish months or so and I LOVE IT. I plan on contributing more as things come up.
If you are in Chicagoland, :I guarantee we are <3 degrees from each other.

Bibliotechno Music fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Dec 28, 2015

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

The allergy/preference issue comes down to the fact that customers have effectively been trained to claim an allergy because asking for simple mods so frequently gets ignored.

As an example, I can't eat raw tomatoes, they make me very ill. If I simply ask for no tomatoes, more often than not it'll be fine, but it's common enough for the server or kitchen to forget my request, which may or may not make me send food back. If I claim an allergy, 90% of the time they get it right. And I actively try to order stuff that either doesn't come with raw tomatoes, or that it'll be easy to leave off (such as a burger).

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

It's the first Monday after Chrimbo and I have 0 covers booked for lunch. None of the management or chefs are in. It's me, AR, 2 line cooks and the 80 year old Irish lady that does breakfast.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

Shabadu posted:

It's the first Monday after Chrimbo and I have 0 covers booked for lunch. None of the management or chefs are in. It's me, AR, 2 line cooks and the 80 year old Irish lady that does breakfast.

Sounds like tonight here. I'm willing to bet that as we speak (ok, type) reservations we had are falling off the books. They keep revising the snow totals for tonight up higher and higher and higher.

I need money drat it, I don't want to close two hours early. I already lost two days last week because of Christmas. It's going to be dead, I'm going to be cleaning all night, and I can't even drink any more. gently caress.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Worked a private event last night, it was a surprise party for one of our regulars, and while I would have been content with a snifter of the 70 yr old Armagnac they insisted I taste, they also added another $1k on top of the included 20% gratuity. Merry Christmas to us.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The Midniter posted:

Because it's not my problem? If someone has a serious issue with sodium, they should 1) know that regardless of the type, cheese is going to have salt in it, and 2) be vigilant about asking what does or does not have salt in it, which at a restaurant is going to be pretty much everything. In my experience, most food allergies or sensitivities are made up or psychosomatic bullshit anyway, so I'm not going to waste my breath for this special snowflake. See WroughtIrony's famous tale about this.

Anyway, she enjoyed the food, had a lovely time, and didn't keel over so all was well in the end. They even tipped well.

You seem really defensive over this when in fact you think goat cheese and feta have an equivalent amount of sodium and based on that erroneous assumption you decided the lady was full of poo poo just sayin'.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Moridin920 posted:

You seem really defensive over this when in fact you think goat cheese and feta have an equivalent amount of sodium and based on that erroneous assumption you decided the lady was full of poo poo just sayin'.

This x10.

What's everyone's NYE theme?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

None, nobody wants to eat in the hotel restaurant on new years :(

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
"Get out before 11, we all have parties to go to" Its a good theme.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

This x10.

Get back home, currently 18 hours of flight delays from Chicago to houston. Should have just rented. Car and started driving.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

Shooting Blanks posted:

The allergy/preference issue comes down to the fact that customers have effectively been trained to claim an allergy because asking for simple mods so frequently gets ignored.

As an example, I can't eat raw tomatoes, they make me very ill. If I simply ask for no tomatoes, more often than not it'll be fine, but it's common enough for the server or kitchen to forget my request, which may or may not make me send food back. If I claim an allergy, 90% of the time they get it right. And I actively try to order stuff that either doesn't come with raw tomatoes, or that it'll be easy to leave off (such as a burger).

But if they make you very ill, then that in essence is an allergy right? Why do you have to "claim" an allergy if bottom line is they make you sick? Allergy doesn't have to mean instant death.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

This x10.

Being off the 1st through the 3rd. And working at 6am - 2:30 pm on the eve.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
We're doing 1929... Hoping the tech boom crashes! Should be fun though, the decorations and the menu look great and I'm excited for my cocktail menu. We limited res's to 400 so it should be more relaxed and for that I am thankful.

I hate being salaried. I probably only work 45-50hrs a week now, so it's not because of that, but the biweekly checks and tips are a hard transition. I took a pay cut to take this position which will be worth it in the long run, but makes me too tired to pick up shifts on my days off. I was hired at 65k so if I worked 40hrs a week that would be ~$32 an hour. I just hit my 90 days, so next week my benefits will kick in and I'm going to play hardball for 70k at my review. I miss being tipped.

I don't mean this as a humble brag, remember I live in Oakland and work in SF so here that's practically poverty level wages. I think transparency is super, super important in wages and helps the worker. I'm lucky in that my company is run almost exclusively by women and people in families who value families, so the work/life balance is good even if I do have to talk about people's *feelings* and energies a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

gently caress, I'd play hardball for 80k and settle for 75. Would not work in SF ever, though.

• Locked thread