Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.

DrProsek posted:

I like space flying games and noticed Elite Dangerous: Horizons in the steam store. The stuff in the OP looks pretty cool and it sounds like the game has a lot of what I'm looking for in a space flying game.

Problem is, I much rather prefer single player games. I heard while ED:H is more multiplayer focused, it does have solo play (I've heard you have to be online for it but that's fine by me). Is the game worth it for the single player alone?

You can pick the mode you play in Open, Private, or Solo - Private Mode means you'll only encounter other players who are in the same Private Group as you are (and we do have a Goon Group) - the other two are exactly what you'd expect. The difference in play between the three modes is extremely minimal - even in Open Mode, you will only rarely see other players (unless you arrange to gather together), once you get out of the core systems where new players all start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, the great thing about Elite is, I can play with real people if I want to, but also can just play alone if I'm not in the mood for multiplayer.

With most games, it's either this or that, neither both. I think this thing with the different game modes works quite well for Elite.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
:buddy: Thanks y'all for the help! Sounds like playing solo isn't a problem at all. Good bye :20bux::20bux::10bux:, you won't be missed!

alr
May 14, 2009
"Never played in open and never plan to" crew checking in

Lockmart Lawndart
Oct 12, 2005

alr posted:

"Never played in open and never plan to" crew checking in

It'd be nice if there was a reason to play open other than to be a shithead. Currently private does just fine for multiplayer.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Lockmart Lawndart posted:

It'd be nice if there was a reason to play open other than to be a shithead. Currently private does just fine.

Well, it's nice sometimes to meet with some strangers and shoot NPCs together. Speculating about what some weirdo does in the same rear end end of nowhere you ended up in is another reason for open.

A third reason: Pretending to live dangerous by playing in open 20k light years from the next living soul. :v:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
If the Cobra Mk IV was amazing the tears would never stop flowing.

I too would like a "large" deep space explorer.

Lockmart Lawndart
Oct 12, 2005

Libluini posted:

Well, it's nice sometimes to meet with some strangers and shoot NPCs together. Speculating about what some weirdo does in the same rear end end of nowhere you ended up in is another reason for open.

A third reason: Pretending to live dangerous by playing in open 20k light years from the next living soul. :v:

Yeah but theres always some assclown running around out there with heavy guns waiting to destroy your multi-million credits of exploration data for shits and giggles.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

If we ever get a real player-economy, this kind of balancing won't be neccessary anymore: If the exclusive ship turns out to be really good, everyone who still doesn't want it can just sell it for ludicrous prices to the people who want it but can't get it the normal way. :v:

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Only downside I can think of would be if you tried to land something like that on a high gravity planet. Like those dudes who got tricked into landing their huge ships on that 5x earth gravity planet

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Yeah but theres always some assclown running around out there with heavy guns waiting to destroy your multi-million credits of exploration data for shits and giggles.

W...

Awkward pause

Whats their FORUM NAME! :roflolmao:

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

DrProsek posted:

:buddy: Thanks y'all for the help! Sounds like playing solo isn't a problem at all. Good bye :20bux::20bux::10bux:, you won't be missed!

Even if you plan to play by yourself feel free to stop by #elite on synirc, it's usually pretty lively and we're all about getting new players started out right.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

No, there really aren't. The galaxy is like, really, really really large. Just remember to drop into solo or private before you travel to some well-known place like Sagittarius and you're fine.

Besides, if you meet people far away from home, you have still options, even in open:

Option 1: Just jump out as soon as you see another player. Danger level: -2
Option 2: Immediately deploy hard points. May the best prepared rear end in a top hat win! Danger level: 0
Option 3: Assume the other player is friendly. Be exploded into a million billion zillion pieces because you're a stupid rear end in a top hat. Danger level: -1
Option 4: Assume the other player is friendly. Jump out after you wrote down his name so you can chat with him later. From a safe distance. Danger level: -4

Only playing in a single game mode if you have three to choose from is a bit boring. Spice it up a bit! :v:

frank.club posted:

Only downside I can think of would be if you tried to land something like that on a high gravity planet. Like those dudes who got tricked into landing their huge ships on that 5x earth gravity planet

Come on, nothing will ever stop stupid people from being stupid. You can be sure as hell as soon as Frontier adds planets with atmospheres there will be burning wrecks left and right. There'll be people trying to land in molten lava seas by flying through an atmosphere of gaseous silicates and instead of taking their metal death like a man, will whine like little babies.

Edit:

My favourite are the dumb motherfuckers who can't wait to land on gas giants. It's just wishful thinking, but in my dreams Frontier adds gas giants as "landable" and just assumes that everyone playing a space game knows what happens if you actually try to land on one. Instead of just getting some cool screenshots from deep within the atmosphere. :getin:

Libluini fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Dec 26, 2015

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
I have a secret I've never told anyone before.

I never paid attention to gravity of anything I landed on till I crashed this morning!

Being able to enter the atmosphere of gas giants would be cool as hell. That sounds like more work on Frontier's part than it would be worth, though!

Lockmart Lawndart
Oct 12, 2005

Dandywalken posted:

W...

Awkward pause

Whats their FORUM NAME! :roflolmao:

To be fair...

theres a large group of explorers going out to beagle point 65000 light years away from sol. They're forming in the elite forums now. Someone camping there and slaughtering every last one of them at beagle point during their selfie time would be absolutely hilarious for the shitstorm it would cause.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=198085 for those interested parties.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

To be fair...

theres a large group of explorers going out to beagle point 65000 light years away from sol. They're forming in the elite forums now. Someone camping there and slaughtering every last one of them at beagle point during their selfie time would be absolutely hilarious for the shitstorm it would cause.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=198085 for those interested parties.

If I were them, I would just form a large private group with all of them and cockblock the campers.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
I needed to scratch the space itch, so I downloaded both this game (just the original expansion) and Homeworld Remastered. Gonna be a learning curve with this game.

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

stick your chest out, keep your head up, and handle it
I'm still figuring out some basics here; I managed to get an easy quest that paid okay (pretty much just "fly to three places"), but twice now the route that my map plots for me turns out not to work, because I get halfway through my series of jumps and then am not allowed to make one of them in the series ("Frame shift cancelled :Jump Exceeds drive fuel use limit of [whatever].")

I have upgraded my FSD and fuel capacity, and in fact those are the only things I've upgraded after this happened the first time because I'm still pretty poor. The first google result for this has a guy saying "Jump to a closer star, refuel, and skip your way to your destination," but I just did refuel and my "plot route" result remains the same as it was after I got that fuel use limit error. (It originally took me 7 jumps to go from Point A to Point B, now it takes me 8 jumps to get from where I am, which is the midpoint of A---B, to B. So the original 7 jumps is now like 12 or something)

I feel like I'm sounding retarded but you guys probably know what I mean. Did I do something wrong plotting the original route? Am I supposed to do something different to make sure I can just do these jumps in sequence and not have this happen?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

MoraleHazard posted:

I needed to scratch the space itch, so I downloaded both this game (just the original expansion) and Homeworld Remastered. Gonna be a learning curve with this game.

The tutorials are a good start for some of the basics (don't feel like you have to be particularly good at the combat ones), and there are good videos that go over some of the other basics. Beyond that, hop into the PGS thread for the IRC channel and feel free to direct all your newbie questions there.

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

anime tupac posted:

I'm still figuring out some basics here; I managed to get an easy quest that paid okay (pretty much just "fly to three places"), but twice now the route that my map plots for me turns out not to work, because I get halfway through my series of jumps and then am not allowed to make one of them in the series ("Frame shift cancelled :Jump Exceeds drive fuel use limit of [whatever].")

I have upgraded my FSD and fuel capacity, and in fact those are the only things I've upgraded after this happened the first time because I'm still pretty poor. The first google result for this has a guy saying "Jump to a closer star, refuel, and skip your way to your destination," but I just did refuel and my "plot route" result remains the same as it was after I got that fuel use limit error. (It originally took me 7 jumps to go from Point A to Point B, now it takes me 8 jumps to get from where I am, which is the midpoint of A---B, to B. So the original 7 jumps is now like 12 or something)

I feel like I'm sounding retarded but you guys probably know what I mean. Did I do something wrong plotting the original route? Am I supposed to do something different to make sure I can just do these jumps in sequence and not have this happen?

Did you plot your jumps then take on any cargo? That's my best guess because cargo (or any added weight) reduces your jump range. If a previously plotted route is now beyond jump range it really won't tell you until you try to jump it. You just need to replot your jump route to your destination.

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

stick your chest out, keep your head up, and handle it

Natsuumi posted:

Did you plot your jumps then take on any cargo? That's my best guess because cargo (or any added weight) reduces your jump range. If a previously plotted route is now beyond jump range it really won't tell you until you try to jump it. You just need to replot your jump route to your destination.

Ahhh that was it then, I keep trying to bring along stuff that the target destination would want

Lockmart Lawndart
Oct 12, 2005

Libluini posted:

If I were them, I would just form a large private group with all of them and cockblock the campers.

Exactly my point.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Anybody stream this on the reg?

Aka "Regularly"?

I'm becoming hip as my Christmas resolution, you see.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Xtanstic posted:

Do a rares circuit. It's linked in the OP. Or do the abridged version:

Getting to Altair is like 50 jumps w a sidewinder is this rly gonna be worth that journey?

Nanohahn
Jul 1, 2005

Why, I do believe I spy a president in that there dune.
Is there a setting somewhere to avoid bringing up the UI screens while you're in Headlook? The SRV deployment screen keeps popping up when I look down while trying to land on planets or at outposts/stations. I could have sworn you can turn it off somewhere but I might be imagining things.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Dandywalken posted:

Anybody stream this on the reg?

Aka "Regularly"?

I'm becoming hip as my Christmas resolution, you see.

I will be as soon as I can toss my ISPan extra 20 bucks and get a decent upload speed

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Nanohahn posted:

Is there a setting somewhere to avoid bringing up the UI screens while you're in Headlook? The SRV deployment screen keeps popping up when I look down while trying to land on planets or at outposts/stations. I could have sworn you can turn it off somewhere but I might be imagining things.

There is definately a way to do this because that kept happening to me and turned that off. I don't remember *where* I toggled it but I remember the crotch menu being listed as something that I didn't recognize.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Dec 26, 2015

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

black.lion posted:

Getting to Altair is like 50 jumps w a sidewinder is this rly gonna be worth that journey?

Not in a sidewinder. You'll want to dunk on stuff in RES/Nav Beacons enough to get you an alright Cobra 3 at least.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

You can do it! I started the game a couple of days ago, and I just made my first million, got a tricked out Eagle and I'm fixing up a Cobra III, keep trying new things, and take missions that introduce you to the different ways to make cash, and you'll find a route that clicks with you.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

black.lion posted:

You'll want a Type 6 or Cobra Mk III for this. They'll be pretty easy to get. Hop onto IRC and let us know you're new and wants to mooch in a RES. I suppose technically you could do it with a Hauler?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Greetings from 63 G. Capricorni 4!

It has a big ol' crater on it.

After tooling around here I did some system searching and found some icy body planets nearby in one of the Alarai sectors. Landed near a 7-11 with a Self-Serve Tea station (6 tons) and then roved around a bit before I came across a wayward gold canister. Scooped that up and sniffed out the rest of it's pals standing out in the open with nothing but a bunch of skimmers to protect them.
There really is gold in them thar hills (9 tons.)

All told I made about 69k (found a few data points though only one redeemable at Skvorts) and have enough materials for every basic synthesis except zinc and germandium for very little effort. Even managed to get some 3-4 pip elements too, although it seems to be fairly random per node. Bronze-ium nodes tend to have common/uncommon stuff, Outcrops have lots of common/uncommon stuff, Meso-rocks have common/uncommon/rare/very rare stuff and Metallic Meteorites seem to have common/uncommon/rare/very rare stuff. Haven't run into anything that gives 5 pip stuff (technium etc.) but as seen above there's quite a bit of rng involved. I got my Ruthenium from a Meso-rock and Vanadium from a Metallic Meteorite.

Next time I'll take more screenshots.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Dec 26, 2015

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry
I was gonna bother goons again and ask what ship I should buy next for ~fun times~ but I just realized I can sell them for almost all the spacemoney back if I hate one, and that is pretty cool.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011
I am just waiting for my Xmas present to be delivered before getting back into horizons.

I understand that only v 0.5 is supported by Elite at the moment, so can anyone point me to the Rift setup info so I can get it working as soon as the item arrives

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
Decided to stow my Asp while waiting for some Operation MistleToad volunteers, didn't have enough cash to fit out a Viper so I decided to A class an Eagle instead. Holy poo poo, so much fun to fly in asteroid fields :swoon:

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Nanohahn posted:

Yes. In your control settings, scroll down until you get to the Mode Switches section. Switch "Looking at role panel" to "Does nothing".

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

IrvingWashington posted:

I was gonna bother goons again and ask what ship I should buy next for ~fun times~ but I just realized I can sell them for almost all the spacemoney back if I hate one, and that is pretty cool.

That's one of the best things about this game, you're totally able to try things and you can always safely dump money into whatever you're flying and pull it out later. I wish more games would give you that freedom.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

anime tupac posted:

Ahhh that was it then, I keep trying to bring along stuff that the target destination would want
In that case open up the Galaxy Map every time you grab stuff: the course plotter should automatically update the route taking into account the added weight without you having to manually plot a new course to the destination.

Nanohahn
Jul 1, 2005

Why, I do believe I spy a president in that there dune.

Helter Skelter posted:

Yes. In your control settings, scroll down until you get to the Mode Switches section. Switch "Looking at role panel" to "Does nothing".

Thank you!

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

tofes posted:

Decided to stow my Asp while waiting for some Operation MistleToad volunteers, didn't have enough cash to fit out a Viper so I decided to A class an Eagle instead. Holy poo poo, so much fun to fly in asteroid fields :swoon:

I've been tempted to do this just to break up ftom only using my Vulture. Is the Imperial Eagle much better, it looks shiny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
I wouldn't say the iEagle is better than the Eagle - it's more of a rebalance.

Basically, the iEagle has a better straightline top speed and acceleration, along with a bigger armament (1x C2, 2x C1) over the Eagle's 3x C1. It also has a bigger power generator to handle the increased energy drain.

Meanwhile, the standard Eagle is much, much more agile (though they have similar thruster arrays, the iEagle is more optimized for speed over maneuverability, and to boot the iEagle is carrying more weight, too). The increased weight on the iEagle also gives the stock Eagle a slightly better frameshift range, as well.

Between the two of them, they have identical internal equipment, armor and shield profiles, but I want to say the iEagle makes a slightly more predictable target thanks to its increased mass and weaker jink ability.

Basically think of the iEagle as less of an Eagle+ (that's the Vulture) and more of something halfway between an Eagle and a Viper.

• Locked thread