Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

blk posted:

My Xmas gift this year was my wife's positive pregnancy test this morning. I don't feel ready and am scared out of my mind, but we're not getting any younger.

This of you who know me IRL, please keep this to yourselves.

Congratulations. And buckle up. Babies will kick your rear end physically for a few years, then change to a brutal mental game. it's a long ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

blk posted:

My Xmas gift this year was my wife's positive pregnancy test this morning. I don't feel ready and am scared out of my mind, but we're not getting any younger.

Congratulations! It's not as hard as you imagine it will be, and more rewarding than you might expect.

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Dec 26, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

This seems like appropriate weather for Christmas Day.

:stonklol:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

some texas redneck posted:

This seems like appropriate weather for Christmas Day.

:stonklol:

Took me a second.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Annnd a few minutes ago both my TV and stereo started going apeshit, which just creeped me out a bit after that.

Well.. turns out something evil was responsible, but it's evil I live with.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

BraveUlysses posted:

Congratulations! It's not as hard as you imagine it will be, and more rewarding than you might expect.

While I largely agree, it's a bit different for everyone, but if he's psyched, then I'm psyched for him! Congrats blk! And, I'm not sure on the stats, but generally, by the time of your first checkup (12 wks), you're pretty well set IIRC.

In a similar vein - nobody give up the sekrats - #3 is expected in Aug. HHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :suicide: (really, we're psyched - but man, two is already a lot of work. Switching to a zone defense? that's just a disaster waiting to happen. :v: )

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

blk posted:

Congrats dude! And don't worry you'll be fine. Just remember, people have kids all of the time!

Merry Christmas AI! I hope you're all having a nice, chill day. And maybe some pizza for dinner like I'm about to partake in!

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

blk posted:

Congrats! Like Mat said, people have kids all the time, and most of them are idiots!

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

IOwnCalculus posted:

Got some of those Wera laser screwdrivers, some Lego sets, a stack of Amazon GCs, some plane tickets for a family trip next May, and a Logitech G27 (that I bought for myself and stuck under the tree, lol). Oh, and a Raspi2 that I will probably use for my garage (webcam + relays = door opener and monitoring)

I haven't even used the Weras yet but they feel so goddamn nice that I might order some more.

Jealous of those drivers. I've had the Weras on my wishlist for a while. Did you get the green ones or the yellow ones?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Merry Christmas, you goony goons, you.

Had fun talking with part of the family (fairly small get-together, for my family) and a good friend of mine from high school that still lives in town. My mom, in a brilliant move of sheer kindness, invited him over. He's only got his (much) older brother and sister, and they have to work, so it was great having him over to shoot the poo poo with, and fly some drones around the pasture.

Hope you guys had a good time of it, or at least the day went a little better than usual.

edit: hah, just noticed that I posted one minute into 12/26, in my own time zone (Central US). Still Christmas Day west of me!

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

My brother got me a cordless drill, and I bought myself a new fishing rod and reel, but that's not important. This was the first time in many years where I had enough money to by everyone gifts instead of just the kids. And that's what's important about Christmas, what you give, and who you're with.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
My parents got me a set of Vessel JIS screwdrivers and GearWrench stud extractors. Suck it, Civic. You're going down.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Jealous of those drivers. I've had the Weras on my wishlist for a while. Did you get the green ones or the yellow ones?

This set in particular. Haven't put them through their paces solidly yet but the difference is very apparent the first time you get one into a screw.

I've demoted every other straight-blade screwdriver I own to "lovely prybar".

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I got cash (that will go to bills, yay adulthood), a tablet, and an electric impact. Now I'm going to start gathering impact sockets and more tools in earnest.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I just dug out my old Dreamcast. Figured I'd hook it up. I have a home theater receiver with a bajillion inputs, including HDMI, component, S-video, and composite, and my TV is hooked up via HDMI.

wait... why am I getting sound, but no video?

I finally downloaded the manual from Onkyo's website.

Wait what? The whole reason I got an AV receiver with a billion inputs was so I would only have to run one cable to the TV, and never switch inputs on it. :fuckoff: At least I had some long RCA cables sitting in a box. The picture quality is loving terrible when run through the A/V receiver too - I know it's not because I'm using an LCD TV, because I've had my Dreamcast hooked up to this TV before.

Oh well gently caress it. Time to get stoned as poo poo and play Rez. Then hook up my ancient Playstation and see if I still have my copy of Nitrous Oxide. :2bong:

e: found the Playstation and Nitrous Oxide, can't find a controller. :saddowns:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Dec 26, 2015

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
my wife got me a Steam Link and Steam Controller. It is probably the best gifty anyone has ever gotten me because it speaks to someone knowing me so well I didn't even have to explicitly say what I wanted.

On the other side, my mom got me 3 self-help books about being a better salesman. I am not a salesman by trade. These are a common gift from her.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

As predicted, holy gently caress am I sore today. I can barely stand up, much less walk.

Ouch.

quote:

I got... a massive pile of clothes, and a gift card for a restaurant.

The number one thing I always tell my family is "don't get me clothes", because they always buy poo poo I'll never wear. They actually got a couple of shirts I'll wear, and I would wear the pants if they weren't several sizes too large (38x30, I wear between 32 and 34 depending on brand, and should be down to 30 or 32 within another 6 months).

Don't mean to sound ungrateful, but that's been my request for 15 years in a row now. Usually wind up with a couple of shirts, this time it was literally a huge pile.

Only clothes I got this year was a pair of socks, but they're Doctor Who socks, and she brought them back from her trip to New Zealand, so that's A-OK.
Like I said, my fam is usually pretty good at guessing what I will wear. I don't have any unusual tastes or anything, so not that hard.

quote:

73 right now. Our normal high this time of year is in the 50s. :psyduck:

Then snow on Sunday. :psypop: Our HVAC thermostat is getting whiplash.

Nice board. I know nothing about them anymore though, I've only had Independent trucks on a regular board. Never even stepped on a long board.

Wasn't it snowing here in DFW last year?

My sister and brother did me pretty well - she got me a 2-pack of PB B'laster and GDL (Garage Door Lube), a vintage MPC model, MISB, of a convertible early Corvette, a cool Hot Wheels drink cup, one of those that looks like a cheap clear plastic soda cup and lid with straw, but is actually double-walled and the top screws on, and gave me her late fiancee''s copy of Blade Runner on Blu-Ray, which gave me a small case of the sniffles. Bro found me a Doctor Who coffee tumble and ID bage lanyard, and some nifty computer screen wipes he said impressed him on his own Mac. Digital calipers from dad - the cheap ones, but he's got a set just like them he use more often than his Mitutoyos. Works for me. A Kobalt precision screwdriver set (with little torx bits), a set of gift cards to Lowes and a couple restaurants, a nifty LED lantern, and some other misc small stocking-stuffer stuff from Mom or Mom and Dad. A nice card table and chairs from Mom for me and my wife together. Oh, a windshield snow-and-ice shield for the cars from my mom. Not sure if we'll get to use it this year. Maybe come Sunday. Grandmom gave all the grandkids (myself included) portraits of President Grant, in green etching. We've tried to tell her before that she doesn't need to give us anything, but that never seems to work with grandmoms.

Way too much good food, some fortified eggnog, and several hours of chatting family. Good year, over all.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Got some of those Wera laser screwdrivers, some Lego sets, a stack of Amazon GCs, some plane tickets for a family trip next May, and a Logitech G27 (that I bought for myself and stuck under the tree, lol). Oh, and a Raspi2 that I will probably use for my garage (webcam + relays = door opener and monitoring)

I haven't even used the Weras yet but they feel so goddamn nice that I might order some more.

I have to admit that I was mildly disappointed that I saw no actual lasers after Googling those.

blk posted:

Thanks - we're trying to decide if we should get a dog now or just wait until after we have the kid (if the kid sticks; my understanding is there's a 50% chance of miscarriage in the first trimester).

Congrats and good luck!
That sounds about right. Our first bump did that, just after I'd gotten used to the idea of having a kid, which sucked mightily. Very hard on the wife, when the doctor says something like "I don't hear a heartbeat." I hope you don't get the experience, but if you do, be supportive.

I just dug out my old Dreamcast. Figured I'd hook it up. I have a home theater receiver with a bajillion inputs, including HDMI, component, S-video, and composite, and my TV is hooked up via HDMI.

Wait what? The whole reason I got an AV receiver with a billion inputs was so I would only have to run one cable to the TV, and never switch inputs on it. :fuckoff: At least I had some long RCA cables sitting in a box. The picture quality is loving terrible when run through the A/V receiver too - I know it's not because I'm using an LCD TV, because I've had my Dreamcast hooked up to this TV before.

Oh well gently caress it. Time to get stoned as poo poo and play Rez. Then hook up my ancient Playstation and see if I still have my copy of Nitrous Oxide. :2bong:

I hate, hate, hate AV receivers that will not cross connect all the inputs to the HDMI output. Pisses me off something fierce. Here's a better one: I bought a used Pioneer AV receiver, with HDMI, cheap, for the bedroom. Hook everything up - no sound from the Xbox 360. Turns out the festering turd of lazy design and engineering DOESN'T USE THE loving SOUND CHANNELS ON THE HDMI. What the gently caress did you think the HDMI was FOR, Pioneer? I had to hook up the analog sound adapter as well as the HDMI on the Xbox. Good thing I already had that adapter to use with the wireless headphones. But it was like, why bother to put and HDMI in/out on you stupid damned receiver? What does it do, exactly? Because this one won't pass the analog ot composite from the PS2 to the HDMI, either. All it does is switch two HDMIs to the one output, and still require you to hook up separate audio, for maximum clutter and cables. Fortunately, in this case, I didn't care about surround, just stereo, so I could get away with analog, rather than trying to find a Toslink cable, if the stupide receiver would even accept that. Would have put me off of Pioneer, if I didn't already know that this was a model from early in HDMi, and I hadn't had a much different, much more positive experience installing my mother in law's new Pioneer networked receiver last year.

Sorry, you touched a nerve, there.
Think I'll go to bed now.
'Night!

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I Got a Trek DS 8.2 bike. I was busy doing stuff with the family and then the girlfriend's family so I haven't even had a chance to ride it yet, just been staring at it, hah.

It's my first bike since I was 13 so I'm pretty pumped. Can't wait to put some miles on the thing.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Darchangel posted:

Only clothes I got this year was a pair of socks, but they're Doctor Who socks, and she brought them back from her trip to New Zealand, so that's A-OK.
Like I said, my fam is usually pretty good at guessing what I will wear. I don't have any unusual tastes or anything, so not that hard.

Wasn't it snowing here in DFW last year?

My sister and brother did me pretty well - she got me a 2-pack of PB B'laster and GDL (Garage Door Lube), a vintage MPC model, MISB, of a convertible early Corvette, a cool Hot Wheels drink cup, one of those that looks like a cheap clear plastic soda cup and lid with straw, but is actually double-walled and the top screws on, and gave me her late fiancee''s copy of Blade Runner on Blu-Ray, which gave me a small case of the sniffles. Bro found me a Doctor Who coffee tumble and ID bage lanyard, and some nifty computer screen wipes he said impressed him on his own Mac. Digital calipers from dad - the cheap ones, but he's got a set just like them he use more often than his Mitutoyos. Works for me. A Kobalt precision screwdriver set (with little torx bits), a set of gift cards to Lowes and a couple restaurants, a nifty LED lantern, and some other misc small stocking-stuffer stuff from Mom or Mom and Dad. A nice card table and chairs from Mom for me and my wife together. Oh, a windshield snow-and-ice shield for the cars from my mom. Not sure if we'll get to use it this year. Maybe come Sunday. Grandmom gave all the grandkids (myself included) portraits of President Grant, in green etching. We've tried to tell her before that she doesn't need to give us anything, but that never seems to work with grandmoms.

I hate, hate, hate AV receivers that will not cross connect all the inputs to the HDMI output. Pisses me off something fierce. Here's a better one: I bought a used Pioneer AV receiver, with HDMI, cheap, for the bedroom. Hook everything up - no sound from the Xbox 360. Turns out the festering turd of lazy design and engineering DOESN'T USE THE loving SOUND CHANNELS ON THE HDMI. What the gently caress did you think the HDMI was FOR, Pioneer? I had to hook up the analog sound adapter as well as the HDMI on the Xbox. Good thing I already had that adapter to use with the wireless headphones. But it was like, why bother to put and HDMI in/out on you stupid damned receiver? What does it do, exactly? Because this one won't pass the analog ot composite from the PS2 to the HDMI, either. All it does is switch two HDMIs to the one output, and still require you to hook up separate audio, for maximum clutter and cables. Fortunately, in this case, I didn't care about surround, just stereo, so I could get away with analog, rather than trying to find a Toslink cable, if the stupide receiver would even accept that. Would have put me off of Pioneer, if I didn't already know that this was a model from early in HDMi, and I hadn't had a much different, much more positive experience installing my mother in law's new Pioneer networked receiver last year.

I tend to wear slim pants, and shirts that aren't plain - generally t-shirts, it's very rare you'll ever see me in a shirt with a collar, and you never see me in a button up shirt unless I'm going to an interview. And yeah, it was at least cold by now last year.

The GDL reminds me that I need to do some maintenance on this loud as hell screw-drive door opener we have, you can hear it through the entire house. The track and screw are dirty as poo poo - I really just need to spend an hour cleaning it up and re-lubing it. The door itself is silky smooth and silent. I keep hoping the door opener will take a poo poo so I have an excuse to replace it with something quieter, but it's 21 years old and still thinks it's invincible.

Kobalt makes surprisingly good tools, especially for the price. I've been bashing on the same set of Kobalt sockets/ratchet for 5+ years, often taking a sledge to the ratchet to break a bolt loose, and I've had zero issues.

This receiver is several years old, but supports HDMI 1.3a, according to the manual. This is my first time hooking up any video source to it that wasn't HDMI though, and it was a lower end home-theater-in-a-box setup that came with a complete set of (garbage) speakers (the only one I kept was the sub). At the time, it was the cheapest "good" brand 5.1 receiver Fry's had that had 4 HDMI inputs, and I needed a sub at the same time (my old powered Infinity sub crapped out). It's also bitchy about 5.1 playback from the PC - it'll do it over HDMI, but then I lose regular audio playback (it takes about a second to do the handshake when any sound plays, so no system sounds and a bit of annoyance in general). I finally ran an optical cable to it, but every now and then (once or twice a year) the receiver goes full retard and decides "you wanted me to pull the audio signal from HDMI right? :downs:", or decides it only wants to do 2 channel playback (which means I have to dive into the menus to fix it). It's kind of soured me on Onkyo in general, but it was on clearance and priced right. My TV has a reasonable number of inputs (2 HDMI, 2 components, 2 composite, 1 VGA), but it's wall mounted, and pretty high up on the wall (it's above my closet, since I generally watch it from bed), so running new cables is kind of a PITA. Plus the main reason I got the receiver was so I wouldn't have to gently caress with switching inputs on the TV, damnit.

I thought about a networked receiver for awhile, but I have a Chromecast plugged into mine - so I can always throw music on from either my web browser or my phone.

I need to track down a PS1 or PS2 controller. I know there's 1 or 2 somewhere in the house, but damned if I can remember where.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

I got my dad a pretty expensive tap and die set, and I was really excited for him to open it, because all of his are old and lovely.

He was SUPER happy when he opened it.

Except he had opened his gift from my sister and her fiance. They got him the same exact loving set. :suicide: Oh well, we both had gift receipts, so he can take one back and get something else he needs.

Then, I got my mom a "night time dog walking kit." She always walks her two dogs after dark, and she mentioned she's concerned about visibility for both her and the dogs and wanted something along those lines. I got an LED "harness" type thing for her, a really bright red LED collar for the oldest dog who won't be around for much longer. For the other dog, I got a super bitchin' NoxGear NightHound LED dog harness. I played with it for a bit before putting it in the box with the other stuff, and it had a million different awesome LED settings, and tons of different colors, and generally really solidly built. Was so excited to see her open it.

She didn't even take the harness out of the box to look at it. :effort:

On the other hand, my sister's fiance is a huge Bruins fan, so I got him a really nice Bruins winter hat, and a Bruins hockey stick, and he was so loving excited about it. He didn't stop fiddling with the hockey stick all night.

Also, I got a big rear end Chinese drone with an "HD" camera. It's totally going to get broken, but I flew it around in the dark in front of my parents house for a bit, and it's hilariously fun. Then cash for a set of car dollies, nice leather dress boots, a nice shave set, super fuckin' cozy looking socks made from Alpaca wool, an Amazon Firestick, and some shirts/sweatshirts. I'll always remember to be thankful for whatever I get. My sister and her fiance got me a bunch of nice stuff this year, they're awesome.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Well, color me surprised. I won the game, but only with like $6. Apparently the great mood we had from driving down thinking of all the dumb poo poo my Mom would say/do set the whole day off to a great start. Things went really well! We ended up making a massive filet thing called Chateu Briaunt. I ended up making it and that meat was so tender I could cut it with a butter knife.

We got the cats one of those present shaped scratchy things. Taco, my 30 pound Maine Coon, decided he needed to show the internet that if he fits, he indeed sits.

I finally finished building up my new bike, a specialized allez e5 smartweld, it's so hot. I love how it's raining and stormy in Houston today, just in time for me to have all the rides in town cancelled :negative:

there's like a treasure hunt of stuff in that picture, I'm sure Bahaha will recognize some things :v:

I got that Garmin edge all set up last night too, what a poo poo-hot piece of tech. I can't wait to even do trainer rides! The sensors for it are separate now. I thought it'd be a little box on the chainstay, but there's one that rubber bands onto the non-drive pedal, and one that goes around the rear wheel hub. Neat!

All in all, we had a great time yesterday. And my Mom won the game of cards agains humanity :psyduck:

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

For Christmas I got my dad a gps with lifetime maps, my sis some Bluetooth headphones, and my niece a Chromebook. For my Christmas I got a block of wood.

Coredump fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Dec 26, 2015

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Cakefool posted:

I can't drink, I'm driving tomorrow as the M6 is going to be loving mental and my wife is a little timid a driver versus my willingness to let some dipshit put my fender into his door if he wants my space and thinks I'll let him have it just because his bmw is worth more than every car I've ever owned well news for you fuckface I know you'll yield first so think again.

I'm sure this attitude will get me wrecked at some point but it's worked so far.

Rules of the road in the UK, the cheapest car always wins. My £1000, v8, 1800kg Toyota never has any trouble with ze Germans.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

e: found the Playstation and Nitrous Oxide, can't find a controller. :saddowns:

You can always hook up your Dreamcast to a computer monitor:

http://www.amazon.com/Tomee-Sega-VGA-Cable-Sound-Adapter/dp/B00HPU96FI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1451141782&sr=8-1&keywords=dreamcast+vga

Highest quality available without modding the system.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

My wife got me both of the little BB-8 droids, one of which is controlled with dedicated IR remote, the other fancier one that is app-controlled from my phone. They're super neat. :3: the dog disagrees

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

My son made out like a bandit again this christmas, he got a bunch of gifts under the tree, and today we're going to Orlando for the Magic vs. Heat game then spending the night and going to Disney World tomorrow :v:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

Rules of the road in the UK, the cheapest car always wins. My £1000, v8, 1800kg Toyota never has any trouble with ze Germans.

You own all of the uks soarers don't you? The M6 was surprisingly clear, only 2 major accidents.

E@ my parents, got more booze, more books.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
I'm cutting down to just one soarer! My thread hasn't caught up to current events yet. I used to have 3, lol.

Pomp and Circumcized fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Dec 26, 2015

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

The best Christmas present I got was hanging out with the best dog in the world. Hes blind, deaf, has no teeth and only 3 legs. I love him so much. I keep bugging my step mom to give him to me.

And my Christmas weekend vision quest continues. On to the Wild Turkey next.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

BloodBag posted:

All in all, we had a great time yesterday. And my Mom won the game of cards agains humanity :psyduck:
If you're playing CAH with parents... You've already lost.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

ilkhan posted:

If you're playing CAH with parents... You've already lost.

My dad is even more twisted than I am. I guess 23 years in the service will do that to you.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I tend to wear slim pants, and shirts that aren't plain - generally t-shirts, it's very rare you'll ever see me in a shirt with a collar, and you never see me in a button up shirt unless I'm going to an interview. And yeah, it was at least cold by now last year.

The GDL reminds me that I need to do some maintenance on this loud as hell screw-drive door opener we have, you can hear it through the entire house. The track and screw are dirty as poo poo - I really just need to spend an hour cleaning it up and re-lubing it. The door itself is silky smooth and silent. I keep hoping the door opener will take a poo poo so I have an excuse to replace it with something quieter, but it's 21 years old and still thinks it's invincible.

Kobalt makes surprisingly good tools, especially for the price. I've been bashing on the same set of Kobalt sockets/ratchet for 5+ years, often taking a sledge to the ratchet to break a bolt loose, and I've had zero issues.

This receiver is several years old, but supports HDMI 1.3a, according to the manual. This is my first time hooking up any video source to it that wasn't HDMI though, and it was a lower end home-theater-in-a-box setup that came with a complete set of (garbage) speakers (the only one I kept was the sub). At the time, it was the cheapest "good" brand 5.1 receiver Fry's had that had 4 HDMI inputs, and I needed a sub at the same time (my old powered Infinity sub crapped out). It's also bitchy about 5.1 playback from the PC - it'll do it over HDMI, but then I lose regular audio playback (it takes about a second to do the handshake when any sound plays, so no system sounds and a bit of annoyance in general). I finally ran an optical cable to it, but every now and then (once or twice a year) the receiver goes full retard and decides "you wanted me to pull the audio signal from HDMI right? :downs:", or decides it only wants to do 2 channel playback (which means I have to dive into the menus to fix it). It's kind of soured me on Onkyo in general, but it was on clearance and priced right. My TV has a reasonable number of inputs (2 HDMI, 2 components, 2 composite, 1 VGA), but it's wall mounted, and pretty high up on the wall (it's above my closet, since I generally watch it from bed), so running new cables is kind of a PITA. Plus the main reason I got the receiver was so I wouldn't have to gently caress with switching inputs on the TV, damnit.

I thought about a networked receiver for awhile, but I have a Chromecast plugged into mine - so I can always throw music on from either my web browser or my phone.

I need to track down a PS1 or PS2 controller. I know there's 1 or 2 somewhere in the house, but damned if I can remember where.

Kobalt is fine. I have had no trouble with either them or Husky, and HD and Lowes will actually have tools to buy unlike the barren aisles of Sears.

The Harman-Kardon receive I have in the living room is great - it will send any of the video sources through to the HDMI out. It's only problem is that I bought it (refurbished, from H-Ks official eBay outlet) over 7 years ago before it was all-HDMI all the time, so it's only got 2 HDMI inputs, but 3 components. That was fin when I was using an early Xbox 360, a PS2, the Uverse box (which has component, AV, and HDMI) and had a DVD player. Now I've got an XBONE, a PS3, and a later 360 slim, plus the Uverse. They all want HDMI, except the Uverse, so the analog inputs go unused on the Harman-Kardon. A newer model seems to be quite a bit more expensive than when I bought mine, so I'm looking at Pioneer, where you can get like 6 HDMI inputs, WiFi, iPod/iPhone connection and such for less than $300.

You can still get PS1/2 controllers at GameStop, I think.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Or you could just buy a remote controlled HDMI switch box :)

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Darchangel posted:

Kobalt is fine. I have had no trouble with either them or Husky, and HD and Lowes will actually have tools to buy unlike the barren aisles of Sears.

The Harman-Kardon receive I have in the living room is great - it will send any of the video sources through to the HDMI out. It's only problem is that I bought it (refurbished, from H-Ks official eBay outlet) over 7 years ago before it was all-HDMI all the time, so it's only got 2 HDMI inputs, but 3 components. That was fin when I was using an early Xbox 360, a PS2, the Uverse box (which has component, AV, and HDMI) and had a DVD player. Now I've got an XBONE, a PS3, and a later 360 slim, plus the Uverse. They all want HDMI, except the Uverse, so the analog inputs go unused on the Harman-Kardon. A newer model seems to be quite a bit more expensive than when I bought mine, so I'm looking at Pioneer, where you can get like 6 HDMI inputs, WiFi, iPod/iPhone connection and such for less than $300.

You can still get PS1/2 controllers at GameStop, I think.

I'm not a huge fan of Pioneer, I like Onkyo or Denon. At that price point (approximately) there are some really great A/V receivers - http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-NR636-7-2-Ch-Network-Receiver/dp/B00IQ0SE22/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1451159747&sr=8-2&keywords=tx-nr545

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

I would rather kill myself than play CAH with my parents.

Anyways, glad to see the MA DOT has a sense of humor...

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Late Merry Christmas everyone

SuperDucky posted:

e30 bros, this head has seen some poo poo like, its gotten super duper, sear meat hot. I really should send it off to be decked, right? Regardless, its not happening today, so pour up the Mount Gay and watch the loving world burn.
I'd send it off. Doing a head gasket then having the new one fail shortly after sucks.

BloodBag posted:

We play this every year at Christmas at least a few times. It's usually Mom or Grandma that wins

Played a ton of Fallout 4 (brother brought home PS4) and ate a ton of food. Got some clothes which is actually all I wanted this year. Has been a good week of lounging around the house and playing with their dogs. Head home tomorrow night and have the week off to work on stuff I've been neglecting.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Went to Lowes to get some bulbs and decided to try a LED and see what it was like. Turns out some Grade A Motherfucker swapped like 25 of them out for cheaper soft white horseshit. Ugh loving people.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Christmas Haul:

Cast iron pan

Enameled cast iron dutch oven

Fox-shaped bowls, like cereal bowls

Pretty good. I worked Christmas Eve and Christmas 1300-0100 (sweet, sweet holiday pay) so we opened gifts today. I gave my fiancee:

Six-pack of a hot sauce they don't make anymore but she loves. Individually wrapped.

16" Stitch doll (she loves Lilo and Stitch)

Case for her tablet

Another unnamed plush

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

At my parents being all gross and snotty and ill and my dad recommended whiskey so I started on his "gulping" whiskey then we moved into glenmorangie and gently caress me if whiskey and salted crisps and strong cheese aren't a more effective medicine than any of the thousand tablets I've stuffed down me recently. I may be converted. I'm definitely drunk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

whiskey can be hit or miss, but whisky (that is, scotch) is never not a good decision when available

• Locked thread