Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

I'd use the vampiric scimitar. A scimitar is a decent enough base type and vampiric is a really good brand. I don't know where you are in the game at this point, but I assume you're too early for antimagic to be all that useful. The venom branded randart is not bad either; that +6 to dex could give you a nice chunk of EV if you have decent dodging, but venom is not nearly as useful as vampiric especially if you've found a lot of enchant weapon scrolls and don't mind dumping a few into the scimitar. You'll want to upgrade to a demonblade or double sword eventually, but the vampiric scimitar could carry you through the whole game, even if you'd feel a little weak in Zot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Unimpressed posted:

Question for you experts, which of these weapons should my MiFi^Oka shield bearer be wielding? If you can tell me why that would be even better. Cheers and merry christmas.

code:
 y - the +2 scimitar "Gileu" (weapon) {venom, +Rage +Fly Str+2 Dex+6}
   (You found it in an ice cave)   

It poisons the flesh of those it strikes.

It affects your strength (+2).
   It affects your dexterity (+6).
   It lets you fly.
   It lets you go berserk.
 J - the +3 scimitar "Wixkawne" {antimagic, Int+2 Dex+2}
   (Okawaru gifted it to you on level 6 of the Lair of Beasts)   

It disrupts the flow of magical energy around spellcasters and certain
   magical creatures (including the wielder).

It affects your intelligence (+2).
   It affects your dexterity (+2).
 N - a +3 vampiric scimitar
 Z - a +5 falchion of protection

You can erase the falchion from consideration right now. It's too weak a base type. Scimitar is much better. Where are you at present? If you still have spider to go, the venom scimitar will chew through a lot of it, since many of the enemies there are vulnerable to poison. After that, I'd probably take the antimagic scimitar for the rest of the normal three-rune game. Vampiric is a very strong brand, and it's on a decent enough weapon.

Eventually the floor, an enemy, or Okawaru will give you a demon blade or double sword, though, and those are even better yet, and if they're not vampiric you might hold onto the antimagic scimitar as a swap for things like high-tier deep elves and liches. I'd probably swap if one came available, but a +9 vampiric scimitar could certainly take you to a win on its lonesome if you want to commit your enchant weapon scrolls to it and keep at it.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

i think they meant temmielang

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Tollymain posted:

i think they meant temmielang
The language stacking alone is terrifying to imagine if that existed.

hOI!!!!!!!!! im bUtts!!!!!!!!! :tem:

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Floodkiller posted:

The language stacking alone is terrifying to imagine if that existed.

hOI!!!!!!!!! im bUtts!!!!!!!!! :tem:

Oh, it's an Undertale thing.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
I'd personally go with Gileu so you can berserk on demand

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Thanks for the advice! Unfortunately I ended up dying in Shoals (I bloody hate that place) even though I dived to L4. I only had one mapping scroll, guess I should've used it.

So why is vampiric so good? Does the HP you get trump other brands that much?

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Unimpressed posted:

Thanks for the advice! Unfortunately I ended up dying in Shoals (I bloody hate that place) even though I dived to L4. I only had one mapping scroll, guess I should've used it.

Kinda depends on your race and build i suppose, other brands do a ton more damage, but if you'r a deep dwarf or vampire or a mahklebite and stacking leech or regen it's pretty noice.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Humans Among Us posted:

Kinda depends on your race and build i suppose, other brands do a ton more damage, but if you'r a deep dwarf or vampire or a mahklebite and stacking leech or regen it's pretty noice.

Vamp is extremely strong for all races. The difference it makes in (pre-extended) combat is night and day. The ability to just vamp away all the damage your opponents do to you is really good!

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Any suggestions for an Earth Elementalist? I've never really succeeded with a caster before.

EDIT: Ah nuts, I thought I got to choose my Dragon guy's color but it gave me mottled :(

fadam fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Dec 26, 2015

Superterranean
May 3, 2005

after we lit this one, nothing was ever the same

Unimpressed posted:

the Lair branches only have 4 levels now. You were on the gently caress Everything level of Shoals.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
earth elementalist suggestions? Well, rather general topic but a few ideas to throw out

Earth Elementalist Races, with commentary occasionally.
Formicid. Awesome race, and passwall still works. Combined with your racial digging you can do some silly stuff. Transmutation aptitudes are... interesting and worth exploring, albeit optional.
Gargoyle.
Draconian - inherent health and armor goes a long way towards survivability
Hill Orc - Vehumet + Armor = LRD, and probably Iron Shot. A more brawling oriented earth elementalist.
Deep Elf- Fragile as hell, I don't like elves, but they're still potent.

Gods:
Cheibriados - Tempting, but not worth it, imo. It's much easier to start as a fighter then branch into magic with chei than the other way around, since you have the xp and mp to make good use out of step from time and the like without spreading yourself thin early game.
Fedhas - really good if you're having trouble getting off the ground, wandering mushrooms take down individual monsters like hydras easily enough and are fairly inexpensive, sunlight boosts the accuracy of all attacks in addition to protecting you from invisible assholes, and iirc LRd can be used next to your plants without any reprecussions. I can't remember anything about Shatter & Plants though.
Sif Muna - Okay, be sure to take advantage of petrify in corridors if you need to channel.
Vehumet - Nothing need be said, but you get a relatively huge range boost to earth spells, and some much longer ranged attack spells so you aren't forced to idle.

Spell notes:
Passwall can eventually work on deeper walls, but it takes longer as well. I love this spell, but it is also the least important spell in the book. You can skip memorizing it without regret, depending on your race and build. If you have easy access to swiftness, haste, blink, teleport, etc you'll got all sorts of superior escape options. If however you're a formicid, using armor/shield, have a shortage of experience or just plain bad RNG loot, then it can really shine once you get in the mindset to use it. With a wand of digging you can set up an ambush, use up a huge portion of magic, and then safely retreat to rest. Used properly the monster AI will have no way to track you down except general luck. It's harder to pull off in the general dungeon since earth spells have such short range, however. I've also once or twice ruined this plan by accidentally LRD'ing or Shattering some of the necessary walls to secure a safe retreat.
Stoneskin: works with armor.
sandblast: wield a stone for a range/damage upgrade.
Petrify: When successfully cast, the enemy will be a valid target for LRD during BOTH the petrifying and petrified stages, this is essential to making it through the Orcish Mines if you lack proper AoE or tankiness. it's also a fairly decent escape spell, letting you block a corridor. Finally, petrified monsters are valid targets for a stab. They have additional AC, but if you have halfway decent skills in shortblades/stealth you can easily overpower that bonus. Unlike hibernation, you can have multiple successful stabs so a speed brand dagger isn't bad. However, you just can't support a proper stabbing style like an enchanter could. I just sometimes use it to save MP, or because I don't feel like waking up everything with a giant explosion. Not ideal, but something that sort of works.
Statueform - A double-edged sword. Statueform and stoneskin stack, but it slows everything down. I occasionally use it to deal with a ghost camping out a staircase, but it can and will backfire on you if you're not good at stopping to analyze the situation or playing up past midnight. It does work rather well with the passwall ambush i mentioned earlier, especially on formicids. IIRC, passwall takes a fixed amount of absolute time, not player turns.

Builds:
Blaster - more magic damage, everything needs to die.
Staves- earth staves and lajatangs do pretty good damage. Crosstrains with maces if nothing respectable drops, good for saving MP.
Armor- works pretty well, letting you do point-blank LRD without worrying about hurting yourself. Iron shot is still rather viable, but the level 7+ spells will be quite a challenge unless you find the right kind of dragon armor. Still quite a lot of potential, Iron Shot is no pushover.
Robes- nothing wrong with an old classic, you just need to actually pay attention to LRD's AoE, lets you branch out quite a bit more.
Petrify stabs- don't. Works pretty well until it doesn't - it's a dead end. Better to play an enchanter, only go this route if you need a change of pace after dying in vaults:5 for the nth time in a row.

TL; DR?
Almost all colors of dracs are good EE. The extra AC and health are great. Gargoyles are a good second choice, but I prefer more health. Formicids are great, but the lack of teleportation and haste doesn't make them a great 'learning' race.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
If you're going to play EE and use statue form, don't roll a draconian. They lost all the AC from their scales upon casting it. This makes the AC gains from casting it very minimal for them.

And yeah you can't choose draconian colour. The good news is your colour doesn't really matter and should be viewed as a bonus. It sucks when you get one of the garbage colours but you can still do just fine with them.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle
Hm, DsMo that has antennae and nightstalker. I was going to go Yred (better Yred then dead :v: ) but maybe I'll go Dithmenos and be a lovely stabber. I haven't ever followed either god before so I have no preference, though I have some experience splatting lots of SpEns so in theory I might be less bad as a different kind of stabber.

EDIT: I also drank purple right off the bat and gained Int+2 and ER-2, and have a ring of magical power already, so I definitely have the start to a nice little hybrid character.

Dee Ehm
Apr 10, 2014

Internet Kraken posted:

If you're going to play EE and use statue form, don't roll a draconian. They lost all the AC from their scales upon casting it. This makes the AC gains from casting it very minimal for them.

And yeah you can't choose draconian colour. The good news is your colour doesn't really matter and should be viewed as a bonus. It sucks when you get one of the garbage colours but you can still do just fine with them.

I just wish rSticky meant anything. Since the removal of item destruction, sticky flame is pretty much completely irrelevant when you're not the one slinging it.

rSteam is also literally a worse rF+.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

PleasingFungus posted:

Vamp is extremely strong for all races. The difference it makes in (pre-extended) combat is night and day. The ability to just vamp away all the damage your opponents do to you is really good!

I kinda feel the same with poison. It supplements a tactic and if you feel comfortable playing that way it's an incredible boon.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

Huh really

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Steam breath is the best though. If you have any kind of channeling or a ranged weapon you can find ways to turn the LoS block into useful free turns. For some reason it actually does some serious damage once in a while, too.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Pale draconians are fine. Their resist is useless but their breath has an incredibly powerful tactical application; the steam clouds block LOS. This means you can use it to manage fights in a way other draconians can't. This stays useful for the entire game so I'd never be upset about getting pale.

Really the only colours I hate getting are yellow and mottled. Yellow isn't as bad as it used to be since more and more enemies are picking up corrosion attacks, but the lack of literally any apts is pretty lame. Mottled is garbage though. They get +1 fire and...nothing else. Their resist is worthless and they don't have the amazing breath attack that pale draconians do to make up for it. There's no advantage to getting mottled over red unless you're using ice magic, but in that case literally any other colour would still be better than mottled.

Though again, a draconian of any colour can win the game so don't get too hung up on not getting the colour you wanted. Some colours are just superior to the others.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

The mottled dragonbreath is my favorite. Aoe sticky flame dude!! its amaze

Dee Ehm
Apr 10, 2014

resistentialism posted:

Steam breath is the best though. If you have any kind of channeling or a ranged weapon you can find ways to turn the LoS block into useful free turns. For some reason it actually does some serious damage once in a while, too.

I'm kinda surprised Pale Draconians get +1 Evocations and not like, Stealth.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Yellow dracs get a strong breath and acid bite, so they're pretty decent imo. The best colour is purple though, you get a strong resist, decent breath and great apt bonus.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
Time for yet another "what do I do next" post.
code:
 Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.18-a0-917-g8a3da5b (console) character file.

Spoggerific618 the Thaumaturge (OpFE)              Turns: 32037, Time: 02:08:24

Health: 115/115    AC:  4    Str: 12    XL:     15   Next: 49%
Magic:  46/46      EV: 17    Int: 23    God:    Vehumet [******]
Gold:   2150       SH:  0    Dex: 13    Spells: 7 memorised, 12 levels left

rFire  + . .      SeeInvis .    r - staff of power
rCold  x . .      Gourm    .    (no shield)
rNeg   + + .      Faith    .    (helmet restricted)
rPois  .          Spirit   .    Y - amulet of the Four Winds {rN+ MR+++ Clar}
rElec  .          Dismiss  .    o - ring of fire
rCorr  .          Reflect  .    z - +4 ring of strength
SustAt .          Harm     .    I - +3 ring of protection
MR     +++++      Clarity  +    J - ring of positive energy
Stlth  ++++++....               V - ring of protection from magic
                                (no ring)
                                (no ring)
                                (no ring)

Skills:
 - Level 10.4 Fighting
 - Level 10.0 Dodging
 - Level 10.0 Stealth
 - Level 12.2 Spellcasting
 + Level 12.0 Conjurations
 + Level 12.1 Fire Magic
 + Level 6.8 Earth Magic

You have 12 spell levels left.
You know the following spells:

Your Spells              Type           Power        Failure   Level  Hunger
a - Flame Tongue          Conj/Fire      #####        1%          1    None
b - Throw Flame           Conj/Fire      ######       1%          2    None
c - Sticky Flame          Conj/Fire      #######.     1%          4    None
d - Fireball              Conj/Fire      #######...   1%          5    ###....
e - Conjure Flame         Conj/Fire      #######.     1%          3    None
f - Bolt of Fire          Conj/Fire      #######...   1%          6    #####..
g - Bolt of Magma         Conj/Fire/Erth #######...   1%          5    ###....

Full chardump.

I've cleared lair and orc 1. I can probably handle orc 2, and I was lucky enough to get shoals as an octopode, so those are likely where I'm going next.

At this point, my defenses are my biggest worry. I've been putting a decent amount of points into dodging and fighting to get my EV and HP up, but with only 4 AC and no defensive spells, I know it's a matter of time until I get oneshotted when I turn the corner into a juggernaut or something. Stealth has been quite useful, though, giving me the chance to back up and put an autoexplore exception on some pretty nasty monsters that I'm not ready for yet. I'm wondering if wearing a ring of fire all the time is a good idea - the wizardry bonus is quite nice, and the resist fire has helped against fire drakes in lair, but just like my low AC, it's probably going to come back to bite my rear end before very long. Fire resistant monsters are also a bit of a worry - bolt of magma is fine for weak to medium stuff, but when I start running into 2s and 1s that are immune to fire, I don't think it's going to be enough.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Get delayed fireball. You'll probably only use it 5 times in the entire game, but those five times may be when it saves your life. Having a pocket fireball that costs no mana and is instant (it takes 0 time to throw) is a great emergency button, and it only costs you 2 spell levels; the other 5 are free if you know fireball.

The ring of fire is fine, you'll eventually find rings of rC, just take it off if you find something with high cold damage like frost giants before that point.

The solution to your extended fire immune enemy woes is firestorm. Firestorm firestorm firestorm. Besides that, I would say probably don't get too much more earth and instead look at air for deflect missiles, or ice for oz armour, plus their respective good damage spells.

Dee Ehm
Apr 10, 2014

Darox posted:

The solution to your extended fire immune enemy woes is firestorm. Firestorm firestorm firestorm. Besides that, I would say probably don't get too much more earth and instead look at air for deflect missiles, or ice for oz armour, plus their respective good damage spells.

Fire Storm is also an acceptable solution for fire vulnerable enemies, fire ambivalent enemies, and really just about any problem you will ever encounter. Even Orbs of Fire can be anihillated with just an application or two of raw inferno.

You have been offered it already right? Or found Anihillations? If you have the latter, Poison Arrow will also win a 3-rune game near singlehandedly.

Spells like Ozo's / RMisl / C. Shield / DMisl / Phase Shift will help you not die, which is important to winning as well, as dying makes it a lot more difficult to win.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Why does Yred disapprove of Statue Form? Is it because granting rN+ makes it count as a "holy spell"? If so, that's hilarious.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

He hates animated non-undead.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle

cheetah7071 posted:

Why does Yred disapprove of Statue Form? Is it because granting rN+ makes it count as a "holy spell"? If so, that's hilarious.

Because statues are neither living nor dead. If Yred were a grandma, Statue Form would be showing up for Christmas with a bunch of face piercings. It's unnatural.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Are gargoyles banned from worshiping him?

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
why does one of the trog shrines contain a wizard who farts himself to death

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

why does one of the trog shrines contain a wizard who farts himself to death

because it's funny and it's a magic user dying. what's NOT to like.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

cheetah7071 posted:

Are gargoyles banned from worshiping him?

Yes.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

quote:

The Serpent of Hell stares, then turns away, jangling a coin purse.

:laffo:

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Yred also gives large amounts of piety for killing nonliving enemies (statues, golems, etc); he's the only god to give any piety at all for killing them.

lmao

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

Update thread title

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Wow new elf 3 is super lethal

Superterranean
May 3, 2005

after we lit this one, nothing was ever the same

cheetah7071 posted:

Wow new elf 3 is super lethal

I autoexplored into a teleport trap, then while tiptoeing back to the upstair I hit an alarm trap. The new elf3 is Fun when the dickheads swarm out of their vault like ants

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

:shepicide:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Are there 42 "good" mutations in 0.17? was that literally like a 0.0005669% chance of happening

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Wild magic is the best mut, it makes the caster elite better and keeps the unfashionable plebs from reaching above their station in their gaudy gold or crystal.

• Locked thread