Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

ThaGhettoJew posted:

8: Am I? Doesn't sound like me. I don't knock much, as a rule. I'll come round again when I'm more myself. Oh dear, I seem to have let my "self" in. Now you can go outside, you knock and I'll guess.

Person: No no, you answer me, who is there?
8: ....I.... I don't remember!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

AndyElusive posted:

I think that helped make Kilgrave all the more creepy. I would almost start to like him because of his similarity to Ten and then he'd go and do something like lick a face or make someone slit their throat.

That reminds me slightly of the character Tennant played in the mini-series "Secret Smile" which aired the same year he started on Who(I think it was broadcast before his first season). I guess he's just really good at playing charming psychopaths.

Here's probably the most infamous (and probably NSFW) line from it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoUdPin-dhU

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.
No "Merry Xmas Everybody", minus five stars!

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

I really enjoyed the Christmas Special. Like Jerusalem said, it was goofy fun without being too goofy or on the nose with the Christmas stuff, and the stuff with River once she realized he was the Doctor was fantastic. It was a good final episode for her character.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Rhyno posted:

And that was probably the least insufferable River Song has ever been. Good way to cap off her story Moff.

She was downright likable in Silence in the Library. Wasn't a fan of her here but the episode was far from the worst this season had to offer. I give it a C, which isn't to bad for Who Christmas specials.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
I may be in the minority, but I absolutely love River Song (it helps that she is my wife's favorite character), and this was a great cap to her story. The end was tinged with a sadness as we know how her story ends, but was so sweet that they got to spend the next 24 years together.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
This was the second best River Song episode and I love that they absolutely nailed a vital truth of her character before she toned it down/matured by the time of Library

River Song is a massive tryhard when it comes to trying to be like or competing with the Doctor. And that's fantastic. They touch on their relationship wonderfully, that the Doctor can't love her like she can love him but that's OK and he does his best, and this was a great way to end her character.

If she comes back from this Moffat I swear to God I will lose any respect for you as a writer. I don't care if it happens Pre this, but anything after this? After the Library?

This is perfect. Do not disturb this.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I liked the fun capering with River not recognising the Doctor, I didn't like the overly mushy bit at the end. River's story didn't really need that bookend, especially with her outright realising this was her last time with the Doctor whereas in the Library episodes she was (iirc) realising it in retrospect. Moffat likes to reach back into his own continuity but isn't that great at making the past and future make sense together. He couldn't even make Heaven Sent/Hell Bent fully coherent and that was a two-parter! Good overall at least, Capaldi playing up being surprised at the Tardis being bigger on the inside was great.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Gordon Shumway posted:

I really enjoyed the Christmas Special. Like Jerusalem said, it was goofy fun without being too goofy or on the nose with the Christmas stuff, and the stuff with River once she realized he was the Doctor was fantastic. It was a good final episode for her character.

Best part, NO CHILDREN.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Not that Last Night was canon but I guess it's retconned now. Though I suppose the whole "keeps canceling" bit means Eleven might have bailed right after that short.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I've been a blubbering wreck for the past 10 minutes. don't

don't look at me.

...24 years.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Aw that was a sweet and fun episode of Doctor Who. I've really enjoyed both of Twelves Christmas Specials so far, which is more than I can say about Elevens or Tens.

My only negative comment is how I don't really understand where in Rivers continuity this episode comes in at. It's after Angels in Manhattan but before Silence in the Library, right? Isn't The Doctor supposed to know less about River when she meets him the closer to her death she gets?

The more I think about it the more confused I get but I supposed that's what I get for thinking about it more.

Castle Radium posted:

Here's probably the most infamous (and probably NSFW) line from it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoUdPin-dhU

:staredog:

Wow that line came out of nowhere.

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Dec 26, 2015

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
For a while there it looked like they were meeting in purely reverse order, but that was debunked a while back

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Mortanis posted:

Not that Last Night was canon but I guess it's retconned now. Though I suppose the whole "keeps canceling" bit means Eleven might have bailed right after that short.

She brought it up I think: "remember that time there was two of you?"

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Moffat is nerdy enough to reference that obscure short from 4 years ago but not nerdy enough to bear in mind that Capaldi Doctor shouldn't exist which is the entire reason river doesn't recognise him and therefore can't have been the one to give her the screwdriver! gently caress! rear end!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Of course he remembers. He just, ahem, doesn't care. Nor, to be honest, does he strictly need to care.

That's what the flowcharts are for.

n4
Jul 26, 2001

Poor Chu-Chu : (
I really enjoyed the Christmas special. I thought River and Doctor arguing about the Doctor changing things and giving her more time was especially great after what happened with Clara. But then the compromise of 24 years being one night, le sigh.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Loved the episode if just for the banter alone. A nice, caper like episode that asks you to reach for the hankies in the final five minutes.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I don't know if it was the writing, how Kingston played it, or just the chemistry between the two of them, but this is the best River has been since her first appearance. Really melancholy and sweet episode with great moments between her and Capaldi. I can handwave the whole bit about her trying to save him at Trenzalore with her force ghost Library avatar and not knowing he had at least one more regeneration on the strength of how good this was.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

2house2fly posted:

Moffat is nerdy enough to reference that obscure short from 4 years ago but not nerdy enough to bear in mind that Capaldi Doctor shouldn't exist which is the entire reason river doesn't recognise him and therefore can't have been the one to give her the screwdriver! gently caress! rear end!

Doctor Who is a show about time travel.

The screwdriver, however, is a pretty obscure thing to bring up. I just remembered that River's screwdriver was kind of funky looking and therefore that this funky looking one must be the same, but having watched it an hour ago I couldn't tell you a thing about what it looks like.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rochallor posted:

Doctor Who is a show about time travel.

The screwdriver, however, is a pretty obscure thing to bring up. I just remembered that River's screwdriver was kind of funky looking and therefore that this funky looking one must be the same, but having watched it an hour ago I couldn't tell you a thing about what it looks like.

I can tell you exactly what it looks like.

It might have something to do with the plastic replica sitting on my bookcase over there.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
Really liked that episode. Chronologically, Forest of the Dead wasn't her last appearance though, right? Wasn't it The Name of the Doctor? Not that it matters, but she's already appeared post-her death. So she could appear again without much trouble. This episode just finally filled in that final hole pre-death.

Teek fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Dec 26, 2015

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Carolers will be criticized. :xd: I also loved the sassy little noise from the TARDIS when he complained about the hat.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Astroman posted:

I don't know if it was the writing, how Kingston played it, or just the chemistry between the two of them, but this is the best River has been since her first appearance. Really melancholy and sweet episode with great moments between her and Capaldi. I can handwave the whole bit about her trying to save him at Trenzalore with her force ghost Library avatar and not knowing he had at least one more regeneration on the strength of how good this was.

I think it was because this time Moffat finally got the playful tone he tries for with River right. Usually it comes across as insufferable, but it worked here. Moving the Doctor to a more outsider view of her helped, I think, since we got him being annoyed with her behavior. And while she was unaware of the entire situation, she was still generally in control; that took away the infallibility she picked up while still not really undermining her.

When they got back to the TARDIS I smiled when I realized that the Doctor would get to do the "bigger on the inside!" reaction. Capaldi had way too much fun with that.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Random Stranger posted:

When they got back to the TARDIS I smiled when I realized that the Doctor would get to do the "bigger on the inside!" reaction. Capaldi had way too much fun with that.

I almost wish he hadn't overacted it an had gone with a more genuine how 'non-doctor base human Peter Capaldi' would react to being exposed for the first time. Instead of the acting like the doctor being a sarcastic rear end about it.

Overall enjoyed the episode despite its flaws. Payoff on 6 years of buildup was worth is as long as they leave it as closure.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

They also showed "Day of the Doctor" today. Still love the hell out of the scene where Smith meets the Curator.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Jet Jaguar posted:

They also showed "Day of the Doctor" today. Still love the hell out of the scene where Smith meets the Curator.

"No sir..... all Thirteen!"

:vince:

HardKase
Jul 15, 2007
TASTY
I have been hating on Dr Who a lot lately.

But I have to say the Xmas Special was very very good, and reminded me why I love this show.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

jivjov posted:

For a while there it looked like they were meeting in purely reverse order, but that was debunked a while back

It never looked like reverse order. If they met in reverse order then they would never need to sync diaries because there would never be events they both had been through

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

DoctorWhat posted:

I've been a blubbering wreck for the past 10 minutes. don't

don't look at me.

...24 years.

I am looking, and I don't like what I see.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Random Stranger posted:

I think it was because this time Moffat finally got the playful tone he tries for with River right. Usually it comes across as insufferable, but it worked here. Moving the Doctor to a more outsider view of her helped, I think, since we got him being annoyed with her behavior. And while she was unaware of the entire situation, she was still generally in control; that took away the infallibility she picked up while still not really undermining her.

I love how the Doctor gets visibly excited as it dawns on him what he's about to get to do :allears:.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
My girlfriend said: "Why is it that whenever I catch a glimpse of Doctor Who there's always a woman crying..."

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

That was some fun nonsense. River was the best she'd been in years, Matt Lucas and Greg Davies were great fun to watch. The villains costumes all looked great. Even the continuity stuff was good, and I normally don't like that stuff.

Some good comic moments too, like the part when The Doctor complained about monarchy to a stoney silence or the waiter alien discussing his children's mother-eating ceremony.

Capaldi's Doctor works well as a grump in a comic farce.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

BSam posted:

It does work quite well, the first couple of times I did go back to time track 1, but i couldn't be bothered eventually. Soon it breaks down and you really aren't meant to anyway. Was certainly fun.

Someone actually went back to the start? The narrator always heavily implies that you should have picked the correct answer x (Wink wink nudge nudge)

As a choose your own adventure, it is very disappointing.
Every choice is between continuing story or Resetting the story. No real branching out and the correct answer was always: "Do nothing" or "Do as villain says" and never anything interesting.

As a story it was mildly amusing. As interactive fiction it was really lacking.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Hahaha, this is fun. Must be the first time in any of these threads where I wasn't mad about the episode and everyone else liked it! :D

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Wheat Loaf posted:

Hahaha, this is fun. Must be the first time in any of these threads where I wasn't mad about the episode and everyone else liked it! :D

actually, it wasn't very good. sorry.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Teek posted:

Really liked that episode. Chronologically, Forest of the Dead wasn't her last appearance though, right? Wasn't it The Name of the Doctor? Not that it matters, but she's already appeared post-her death. So she could appear again without much trouble. This episode just finally filled in that final hole pre-death.

Name of the Doctor is her last appearance in her timeline, but it's a bit weird in that it's a holographic manifestation from the Library. Unlikely that it would happen much more often.

This was pretty good. An okay script elevated by some pretty fantastic performances; you could tell that basically every actor was having a lot of fun.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Attitude Indicator posted:

actually, it wasn't very good. sorry.

Actually it was very good, sorry.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

AndyElusive posted:

My only negative comment is how I don't really understand where in Rivers continuity this episode comes in at. It's after Angels in Manhattan but before Silence in the Library, right? Isn't The Doctor supposed to know less about River when she meets him the closer to her death she gets?

Right.

After “The Angels Take Manhattan” before “Silence In The Library”/“Forest Of The Dead.”

The sonic screwdriver that he gives her is the one that the 10th Doctor eventually uses to turn her into a 'backup save' at the Library. The next time they meet will be his first encounter with her, and her last with him. At least in physical form.

edit: Adding tags, even though they probably aren't necessary. I never know how far along or in what order people are watching this thing.

EricFate fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Dec 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

EricFate posted:

Right.

After “The Angels Take Manhattan” before “Silence In The Library”/“Forest Of The Dead.”

The sonic screwdriver that he gives her is the one that the 10th Doctor eventually uses to turn her into a 'backup save' at the Library. The next time they meet will be his first encounter with her, and her last with him. At least in physical form.

Maybe. There's always room for one more adventure with River. Or dozen adventures.

• Locked thread