Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

It's really tanks for its weight and pretty xl friendly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
The crab with arms so low slung they don't shield the torso at all is XL friendly?

I mastered that chassis and enjoyed the hell out of it. You can certainly get away with using XL in it (fit the biggest one you can get away with, go fast or die) but I'd strongly recommend you stick to STD engines for zombie purposes. The damage you can roll is amazing.

I mostly used 2 large pulses in the arms and small pulses in the torso/head, except on the 27SL chassis where I recommend nothing but medium pulses to take full advantage of the quirks.

Also I think people are too focused on quirks when it comes to choosing mechs. You want to know what really matters? Geometry and frontal profile. That's why the crab is hideously under rated.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007
http://mwomercs.com/news/2015/12/1444-boxing-day-sale-starts-tomorrow-get-20-extra-mc-buy

For those with MC sitting around.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Any of the C/H mechs actually worth it?

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
The C/H mechs are nice for the 30% CB boost, some have unique hardpoints like the stalker hero having a ballistic in the torso. Huginn used to have like 50% cd for srm4 which allowed it to vomit missiles at a comical rate.

Theres this metamech site with its tier lists I've seen around http://metamechs.com/mwo-tier-lists/is-list/ .

Drakes fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Dec 26, 2015

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Any of the C/H mechs actually worth it?

Fang, X-5, Pretty Baby, and Death's Knell are basically the best in class.

I can't...if someone accidentally bought one I'd feel bad.

I have an Ilya Muromets and Huginn I enjoy a lot.

I have an X-5 and a Heavy Metal I enjoy much less.

And I have a Flame that I bring out from time to time to remind myself not to give :pgi: money.

Devorum fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Dec 26, 2015

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Champions are just well built normal robots. Hero's, I've heard people say good things about the ember, which is a light so is also way cheaper.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

Devorum posted:

Fang, X-5, Pretty Baby, and Death's Knell are basically the best in class.

Uhhhh

TVDinna
Feb 17, 2013
Jesus, just spent 4.8mil to buy an XL180, DHS, ESS and weapons for my Urbanmech.
I've got tons of other mechs I need to work on. This better be as hilarious as I'm imagining it.

edit: IMO, instead of spending MC on hero mechs, might as well buy the bundles. The bundles are essentially all items in the bundle at 50% off.

TVDinna fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Dec 26, 2015

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Misery, Ember, Yen Lo Wang, and Sparky, are all either best or second best for their chassis and their chassis are pretty good. Ilya Muromets is probably the best cataphract but cataphracts arent so popular anymore for a number of reasons people with more :effort: than me can list off. The rest are firmly in "get them if you like the way they look" territory, with the exception of Pretty Baby, the Awesome hero. Dont get Pretty Baby, its the worst mech in the game by a wide margin.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Great Beer posted:

Misery, Ember, Yen Lo Wang, and Sparky, are all either best or second best for their chassis and their chassis are pretty good. Ilya Muromets is probably the best cataphract but cataphracts arent so popular anymore for a number of reasons people with more :effort: than me can list off. The rest are firmly in "get them if you like the way they look" territory, with the exception of Pretty Baby, the Awesome hero. Dont get Pretty Baby, its the worst mech in the game by a wide margin.

I learned to Medium Mech with the Griffin and using the Sparky or 2N with a massive oversized XL engine makes a hilarious light hunter running at 110kph :v:

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
I'm going to give PGI money, it's a Christmas Miracle!

I'm planning on getting a 30bux MC package and buy:
ACH-Prime(C) 3870 - 50% = 1935 MC
SCR-Prime(C) 5565 - 50% = 2782 MC
TBR-C(C) 7590 - 50% = 3795 MC
TOTAL: 8512 MC

With the MCs I have already, I'm going to be left with 1003 MCs.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

That Italian Guy posted:

You should invest in Star Citizen, you're really good with financial decisions

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

WebDO posted:

you would be better off concentrating on one mech so you can get the masteries. You're spreading yourself out a lot there.

That MC would be better spent on one or two mechs and a premium time to help with the grind.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

WebDO posted:

I value the 20 hours of my time necessary to raise the 37Mln C-bills to buy the same 3 mechs more than :20bux:. Especially because with the amount of time I'm able to play, it will probably take me almost 3 weeks to get there.

I can't wait 3 weeks to play with my new toys, I don't think I would make a good Star Citizen.

EDIT: ^^^^^^^^^^ That's a sound suggestion, and given an unlimited amount of playtime I would do that instead. The thing is, I like to move to different chassis to change my playstyle (or simply to accomodate for different weight/comp necessities) and I know I won't be able to master the mechs I play with. So far, I've only managed to master the Centurion, cause I've played it a lot during beta. Also I don't like spending money on premium (since my playtime is spread out, and premium runs even when you're not playing). I definitely want to play a Timber Wolf and Stormcrow, maybe I'll left the Cheetah out for now; it was more of an afterthough in case we'll start playing CW/Clans (since I only own IS mechs so far).

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Dec 26, 2015

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.
^ 30 bucks would get you the Hankyu package, which would give you the three arctic cheetahs you need to basic out the chassis. And you'd be getting the Invasion variant one with a 30% income boost.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
Help me remember:

If I build a CW drop deck with a single 30% boost mech, the boost applies across the whole match?

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Nope! Each hero mech in a CW game count as a 7.5% C-Bill bonus, for a grand total of 30% possible.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Thanks for getting me in WoL, sorry I couldn't PM Texas Merc since I was mostly busy with holiday stuff. I'll get on the mumble tomorrow.

TVDinna
Feb 17, 2013

That Italian Guy posted:

Don't get those, all the Champion variants do is give you extra exp.

WebDO posted:

To be fair though, as bad as MWO is, at least there's a product of some sort. Star Citizen is just straight vaporware (and that's being generous in describing it)

edit:

So I played some CW since I hadn't gotten rank 2 yet on Jade Falcon and I had to wait a little bit longer before that contract ended so I could join WoL.
It doesn't feel too bad in quick matches, but I don't know what it is, but CW as clan as easy as gently caress.
I was in a pure pug group but we still beat an 8 stack of some IS clan dropping together. It was a close game, but when it's pug vs pug, it just turns to a straight stomp.
Leaning towards clan are just op as hell, but probably a lot of new space poors just going IS route since those are cheaper to buy than clan mechs. IS trials are probably a lot worse than clan trials too?

TVDinna fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Dec 26, 2015

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
If you're going to spend cash money on a mech try and get something with a +30% c-bill bonus, like a hero, (R) or invasion mech.

Over 50 or 100 games that +30% really adds up.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
I'll probably bump for either a $15 or $30 MC pack, thinking of messing with some ballistic mechs and leaning towards cataphracts.

TVDinna posted:

So I played some CW since I hadn't gotten rank 2 yet on Jade Falcon and I had to wait a little bit longer before that contract ended so I could join WoL.
It doesn't feel too bad in quick matches, but I don't know what it is, but CW as clan as easy as gently caress.
I was in a pure pug group but we still beat an 8 stack of some IS clan dropping together. It was a close game, but when it's pug vs pug, it just turns to a straight stomp.
Leaning towards clan are just op as hell, but probably a lot of new space poors just going IS route since those are cheaper to buy than clan mechs. IS trials are probably a lot worse than clan trials too?

I'd say IS are probably stronger in organized play since they can run their stuff less hot, and specialize hard for their needs. But its harder to gently caress up with pubbie clans since everyones builds will be more uniform especially with how you can't put on a lovely engine.

Drakes fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Dec 26, 2015

Aeneas
Jun 27, 2005

Historia est vitae magistra
Added my self to the list for invite.

Quick question: I have two mechs from last time I played about a year and half ago, is there any reason to use a trial mech over something I already own?

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Aeneas posted:

Quick question: I have two mechs from last time I played about a year and half ago, is there any reason to use a trial mech over something I already own?

No. You will likely do better in mech you own and can customize.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Aeneas posted:

Posting a link to the list whenever you add yourself is probably the quickest way to get invited.

Use a trial mech if you want to see how that robot plays, if you already know b/c you own it you're not gonna get much new data.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Ok I can grab a second mech now and I think I want the Stormcrow. What are some popular ways to build them, Is a ton of SRMs an option? Also sort of considering the Timber Wolf because everyone says it's good but I did pretty bad in the trial version.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

So, I've come to the decision that in pub drops, if I'm driving an Assault, I'm no longer giving a single gently caress about firing lines. Set up around a corner firing AC20s in my King Crab and a medium runs in front of me and stands there to fire lasers? gently caress 'em, they're eating AC20s in the back. They'll learn eventually.

I was on voice comms with friends (who weren't playing MWO), so I wasn't using in game comms. Some British twat is playing field commander, including trying to get people to do comm checks at the start and all kinds of ridiculous poo poo. I tell people not run in front of me, as it might result in them getting shot (either by me or the two Dire Wolves and an Atlas around the corner), and the guy tells me that maybe if I used voice comms that wouldn't happen.

So yeah, gently caress pubbies. If you can't see a King Crab firing AC20s and SRM6s where you're getting ready to walk, summary execution might be the final solution to your problem.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

gently caress, fine. I'll admit I'm having fun with a lovely game I haven't played since back when we were doing boring Awesome death marches to cap.

Invite me so my waddling up and deleting someone has people to follow up. Spreadsheet

And also to save me from this guy who apparently saw me down in Tier 5, and is now sending me unit invites.

E: And won't stop sending me invites, I wonder how many times I can decline before he actually says something.

Unhappy Meal fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Dec 26, 2015

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Unhappy Meal posted:

gently caress, fine. I'll admit I'm having fun with a lovely game I haven't played since back when we were doing boring Awesome death marches to cap.

Invite me so my waddling up and deleting someone has people to follow up. Spreadsheet

And also to save me from this guy who apparently saw me down in Tier 5, and is now sending me unit invites.

E: And won't stop sending me invites, I wonder how many times I can decline before he actually says something.

Do you remember to both begin and end your transmissions when declining his invites?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Fil5000 posted:

Do you remember to both begin and end your transmissions when declining his invites?

AFF

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

TVDinna posted:

Don't get those, all the Champion variants do is give you extra exp.

Wait, what? I thought those 3 were +30%Cbill bonus...that was a significant part of my decision (get Cbill bonus, buy more mechs with Cbills). gently caress XP bonus.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

That Italian Guy posted:

Wait, what? I thought those 3 were +30%Cbill bonus...that was a significant part of my decision (get Cbill bonus, buy more mechs with Cbills). gently caress XP bonus.

nope. cbill mechs are inner sphere hero mechs, or any of a handful of gift mechs PGI has given for purchasing packs, or special variants acquired by purchasing mech packs

i think getting the IIC jenner pack for $20 gets you an ok moneymaker, the jenner IIC(0) mounts 6 srm launchers. kick the engine down to a 295, put on 4 srm 4's, and 2 srm2's and run around like an rear end in a top hat and drop hot loads on the backs of fatties.

The arctic cheeta pack is $30 for some reason, ommi mechs I guess, but there is only one true build you'd use across all of em, not really worth it if they are around 7 mil each to buy, I think the jenner II's are much more fun right now

Willfrey fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Dec 26, 2015

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Eh, I guess I won't give PGI money in the end. No C-Bill bonus is a deal breaker in my money/time evaluation. I'll just get a Streakcrow since I have 13mln Cbills; and I'll use the 1715MCs I have lying around to buy an Oxide (since I already have a Jenner with lasers with all the basics unlocked and several thousand extra mechxp). Is there a good build for it? Streaks? I don't think I can use the aforementioned build for the IIc as that uses Clantech?

Edit: also, as far as I know the 50% discount won't work on mastery packs, right?

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Dec 26, 2015

lwoodio
Apr 4, 2008

Axetrain posted:

Ok I can grab a second mech now and I think I want the Stormcrow. What are some popular ways to build them, Is a ton of SRMs an option? Also sort of considering the Timber Wolf because everyone says it's good but I did pretty bad in the trial version.

Here's the SRM build I have been using. I like the PPC since all the damage is front loaded, but it's probably better to use an lpl on it to run cooler.
http://i.imgur.com/ZdZ07MU.jpg

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Unhappy Meal posted:

If it makes you feel better, I just reported his recruitment thread for promoting piracy and copyright infringement since a benefit of being in their group is "free access to all Battletech novels and cartoons".

You know, because no one knows how to :filez: or use youtube.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
For those of you considering stormcrows, here are some effective builds:

StreakCrow
The TAG may be optional, but the Active probe is not. This is not a brawl mech, but instead a light hunter. If you try to brawl with a fresh mech, you will lose because you cannot focus damage. It kills those unhittable little shits dead. For the most part, you need to stay out of sight of the larger enemy mechs until late in the match because they will focus you down. Late in the match, when everyone has open armor sections, you become deadly to all mech types.

SRMCrow
This, however, IS a brawler, and a very nasty one at that. It's useless outside of SRM range, but Stormcrows close distance very quickly. Alpine is a bad look, but on most other maps you can make this beast to serious work. With the recent SRM buffs, they're much more reliable and accurate, meaning that you can even engage light mechs at close range with them. Maybe don't engage an atlas by yourself, but if you have help, go hog wild?????

We Meta Mechs Now
This is basically an all-purpose build. It runs hot as hell if you try to use both the large and the small pulses at the same time. When someone is talking about the Stormcrow and mentions the "godhand", they're talking about that SCR-B right hand. Unlike the SRM builds, this design lets you use your left side to shield your gear.

There you go. Three different stormcrows with three different roles. There's a ton of other builds, as the stormcrow can be built to snipe, slurm lurms (don't do this), pack a UAC/20, boat 13 lasers (maybe don't do this??), or whatever. It's easily the best medium, in part because it's such a flexible chassis. The only things it cannot do are boat ballistic (it only ever gets one slot), jump, or fit ECM.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Skoll posted:

"free access to all Battletech novels and cartoons".

lol.

Wait, no, gotta channel the cartoons.

"Is this some kind of joke?"

Catalyst makes the novels available through an e-publisher at no cost IIRC, you just have to do a little fishing on the Catalyst website to find the links.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

PoptartsNinja posted:

lol.

Wait, no, gotta channel the cartoons.

"Is this some kind of joke?"

Catalyst makes the novels available through an e-publisher at no cost IIRC, you just have to do a little fishing on the Catalyst website to find the links.

I thought they had stopped doing that since they're making new novels now. And the ones they did offer were the BattleCorps ones which usually have differences from the print editions.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Skoll posted:

I thought they had stopped doing that since they're making new novels now. And the ones they did offer were the BattleCorps ones which usually have differences from the print editions.

Holy poo poo. You grognard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

armchairyoda posted:

Holy poo poo. You grognard.

:spergin:

edit: Come on mumble and play with us Yoda, we got a lance going.

• Locked thread