Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot
i know what those minion things are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
i built a home server to play my terabytes of pirated media

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

I'm not a racist, I'd totally vote for Bobby Jindal

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

lo marf !!!!

craisins
May 17, 2004

A DRIIIIIIIIIIIIVE!

Dislike button posted:

i built a home server to play my terabytes of pirated media

ooc: this is everybody in yospos

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

craisins posted:

ic: this is everybody in yospos

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

craisins posted:

ooc: this is everybody in yospos

nah, too lazy to bother pirate poo poo now

either stream it legally or just don't watch it

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
*sighs deeply when there's no gift receipt on xmas gift*

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
some family members spent more than me on gifts and I'm REALLY pissed about it

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Bhodi posted:

some family members spent more than me on gifts and I'm REALLY pissed about it

ooc: i am pretty sure both my parents and in-laws each spent more on presents for my son than my wife(*~*~) and i did

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

mishaq posted:

nah, too lazy to bother pirate poo poo now

either stream it legally or just don't watch it

lol

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

I watch mma

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Im very specific about what comes on my food at chain fast food restaurants

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

cadenza posted:

i let my infant child play on a loving ipad all day because i live in a house that doesn't have any books in it because i haven't read a book since i was literally at school lol

Aleksa is so smart! She can work the iPad and she's only three.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
For Sale or Trade: Some electronics

Hi I am looking to sell some of my electronics, I have bills to pay and too much of this stuff.

- Computer part 1:

- Computer part 2:

- Computer part 3:

Non-cc paypal only

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Smythe posted:

*sighs deeply when there's no gift receipt on xmas gift*

Ooc: Never return a gift for cash or credit or "something you actually wanted", you loving slime bag. The only acceptable reason is to get a different size if the giver guessed wrong

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

worked six mornings now an I hate everyone and miss my friends but I still have four mornings left 😔

Antlerhill
Nov 6, 2012

Smellrose
i don't understand how my coworkers can complain about lack of benefits when there's free yogurt in the cafeteria

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

Ooc: Never return a gift for cash or credit or "something you actually wanted", you loving slime bag. The only acceptable reason is to get a different size if the giver guessed wrong

that's our sagebrush

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i want a bb-8, but i'm going to wait until it starts showing up on craigslist.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

i bought multiple Star Wars toys

i am in my thirties and have no kids

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

As a Millennial I posted:

i want a bb-8, but i'm going to wait until it starts showing up on craigslist.

i can't wait to get a knockoff bb8

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

I had or have kids in my twenties

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
#childfree

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Sagebrush posted:

lol

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Jet Ready Go posted:

Just bought in $20 worth of Nintendo Gift Cards at GameStop where the guy just seemed exhausted to have to explain to me how to have Android Pay activate. Whatever! Ill report in when my free $20 at Best Buy rolls in!

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i have visited the Coupons and Deals Forum.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

GobiasIndustries posted:

What are some of the best non-slate credit cards for balance transfers (730-ish FICO)? I'd been paying my slate balance off pretty well but was notified the Monday before Christmas that my department is getting shut down and I'll be jobless in January. I've got 0 APR until the end of June but want to be prepared if I've got a large balance still by that point in time.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Beefstorm posted:

My small IT shop wants everyone to get some Microsoft certifications. My boss wants to buy the $1000 yearly plan for CBT nuggets for each of us. But he wants each of us to sign a 2 year contract to do it. Thoughts? Worth it? I don't see myself leaving anytime soon.

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

As a Millennial I posted:

i was trapped in the Coupons and Deals Forum.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

larchesdanrew posted:

Sorry to beat a dead horse even more, but do you have any idea how loving fantastic it feels to know that he is sitting there stewing over me. Rotting away in the horrible little kingdom he built out of hate and jealousy. All the people he has trampled over, all the people he has belittled, all the people he has deliberately screwed over, all of my predecessors who left to work jobs at Best Buy and in production because of him... And then I come along, rock the boat slightly, and then leave to a position where they're putting out a loving press release over my hiring. My slight boat rock is sending out ripples that are turning into waves that will grow until they engulf him. All those people he has poo poo on all these years are now openly calling for his blood, and it's all because of some little computer janitor that had the gall to make a wreath out of obsolete RAM sticks his first week.

His ego is shattered.

It's poetry.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Illuminatus posted:

My collected favorites from my own experiences as an IT field tech (copied from my Facebook page). Longish but I think its funny.

NOC: Oh NO you are using 97% of the bandwidth at your location.
Me: Well interrupt my download and tell me to stop.
NOC: You aren't supposed to be downloading that big a file.
Me: Yes that's right are you telling me to stop?
NOC: Well no....

I stepped in POLITICS at work, this may result in unemployment.
Ended up in phone call by a VIP on behalf of another bigger VIP and my explaining what I said when asked a question. A question a large number of people this week approached and asked. The call involved me stating "I wont lie" and resulted in the following (paraphrased) dialog:
VIP: Don't use the word "indefinitely", tell them "its on hold for now but will resume in the future."
Me: Is that the truth or just what you want me to tell them?
VIP: Could you just respond "I don't know?"
Me: Yes...
end of call

Phone meeting with boss today regarding "Colleague Development Plan" form we were required to fill out:
Boss "you are the only one who left the strengths and weaknesses blank"
Me "yes, though if you have something you want me to put on there I can"
Longish silence
Boss "everyone else put down things like (he listed several examples of strengths from others)"
Me "those aren't strengths those are what's required to do the job"
Boss "well what would you list on a resume as strengths"
Me "I don't I only list facts"
The conversation ended inconclusively. I still appear to be employed.

End of an email at work today:
"If necessary, I will escalate. Thank you for your prompt attention in resolving this."
What does "escalate" mean exactly? The colleague is going to mobilize troops on my border? Roll tanks into my cities? Go Nuclear?
I, not liking military threats to my sovereign nation, responded with "Escalate if you need to". Also included was an explanation of why the situation was the way it was and what was being done. This fine bit of diplomacy immediately resulted in: “It’s unfortunate that you feel that way. I will need to escalate this so that it can be resolved sooner than later.”
Tomorrow will see if I must repel an invading force.

I have had a conversation over the last couple of days with my company's accounting department.
"No I am not the end user of hundreds computers and peripherals shipped to my name over the last few years. I am a field tech, the equipment comes to me then gets sent on to its eventual home. Why do you ask?" "Amortization / depreciation for tax purposes."
As it turns out accounting only has access to the vendor shipping summary and that has only my address. I would have thought someone might have questioned all the orders several YEARS ago.

I had to respond to a complaint about me sent to my boss today. I get a couple of these a year, with what I do its expected. The complaint was I didn't provide training on how to use the newly installed 2nd monitor and my response why was too blunt.
"Sorry we are not providing training, just doing the installation, you drag from screen to screen. Any special training will come from your new company <new company>."
While doing 40 of these upgrades an additional 5-10 minutes per for training would add 200-400 minutes to the overall project. There simply wasn't time for training in the time allotted nor were we contracted for it.
The boss's solution when I asked how he would handle it: "Escalate it to the transition coordinator from <new company>." Um OK so I should say "Please speak to <X> of <new company> regarding training."
Is this any less "blunt" somehow?
PS Who needs training on how to use a monitor??

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

i have a mortgage/car loan with a cosignee im not married to

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Dislike button posted:

My house has some combination of the following features:

-car port
-chain link fence
-gravel driveway
-above ground swimming pool
-pile of scrap metal

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

I just looove chinese food!

*gulps down another crab rangoon*

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Yeeeeap we gitwundem star trek fidges

craisins
May 17, 2004

A DRIIIIIIIIIIIIVE!
i have a 3dtv

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

craisins posted:

i have a 3dfx

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
hey wanna play a game? [hands u a madcatz controller] good fuckin luck connecting a hit, fucker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Barnyard Protein posted:

hey wanna play a game? [hands u a madcatz controller] good fuckin luck connecting a hit, fucker

• Locked thread