Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Narcissus1916 posted:

This might be it. I stress the "might" though. Its by the guy who later went on to do the birth of a mercenary levels. http://tacc.massassi.net/levels/walkthrough.php?id=27
Thanks for that. It's not as good as I remember, that's a shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Colon Semicolon posted:

A friend of mine found out that Quake 2 has very legitimate staticmesh support, and you could actually build entire levels using meshes and clipping plane BSPs. Since Quake and Quake 2 are interchangeable map format wise, you can make most of the BSP in TrenchBroom and then place down meshes in Quark or something.

How does this work? Was it always in the engine and no one figured it out until now?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Colon Semicolon posted:

A friend of mine found out that Quake 2 has very legitimate staticmesh support, and you could actually build entire levels using meshes and clipping plane BSPs. Since Quake and Quake 2 are interchangeable map format wise, you can make most of the BSP in TrenchBroom and then place down meshes in Quark or something.
Rehosting with a host that actually supports hotlinking:

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

BattleMaster posted:

How does this work? Was it always in the engine and no one figured it out until now?

It's stuff that's part of the engine, yeah. Alot of the more common-sense culling setups aren't in the engine, (that I know about anyway) since it was probably never designed to make major use of the models like this. That means it TECHNICALLY supports staticmeshes, despite that not being a thing back then. The most the game ever made use of was barrels, enemies, and animated props like the satellite dish that you couldn't reach or interact with. It's actually suprising how much stuff there is for using and affecting the meshes, honestly.

E: I didn't realize the image host didn't allow hotlinking. I just used the same link my friend sent me. My bad!

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Dec 24, 2015

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Speaking of Duke on the last couple of pages, the PS3/Vita Devolver release is half the price of a London pint right now: https://psprices.com/region-gb/game/53411/duke-nukem-3d-megaton-edition

I can confirm it plays pretty well on the Vita, despite the occasional crashes.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Reposted from Diehard Wolfers:

Woolie Wool posted:

Download (50.6 MB)
ModDB page coming soon!

Season's greetings! This is a rerelease of my expansion pack for the ECWolf Tech Demo, Return to Totenhaus, as a separate mod with enhancements to the graphics, music, and levels. It also features a virtual hitscan system similar to Operation Serpent's instead of the normal Wolf3D bullets. You don't have to worry about damage dropoff--but you do have to worry about spread. And actually pointing your gun at the Nazi instead of just in his general direction. It also has a new Read This manual with an expanded story and other nice features. Requires ECWolf 1.3.2 or better and Wolfenstein 3D 1.4 to play.

Story:
It is the spring of 1943. You're undercover in western Austria disguised as a German civilian, collecting intelligence on German and Italian forces for the OSS. One afternoon, during your usual routine of socializing at the bar, eavesdropping on German soldiers, and chatting up the young Frauen, someone in the bar hears your accent slip and yells, "Amerikanisches Spion!". You turn around just in time to see the butt of a soldier's rifle rushing towards your face. When you awaken, you find yourself in the basement of a large mansion--Totenhaus, the House of Death, a chateau in Bavaria run by the SS where Allied spies are interrogated and executed, and a training ground for an elite group of Fallschirmjaeger paratroopers. No one has ever escaped from Totenhaus alive. Will you be the first?

So this is my Christmas present to the oldschool FPS mod community! Hope you like it!

ytisomauq
Dec 15, 2000

Woolie Wool posted:

Reposted from Diehard Wolfers:

So this is my Christmas present to the oldschool FPS mod community! Hope you like it!

ECWolf is awesome and your mods are, too. Thank you for your efforts and this cool gift :D

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

On the talk of ranking or comparing stuff like Doom, Duke Nukem 3D, and Quake... (my fav is Duke 3D), those right there are the best ever! They all aged like fine wine and are easily the top three for user made SP content. (including Doom 2 of course)

Give me a new FPS with inventive level design like that, somebody. I do dig the Half-Life style of the more cinematic narrative adventure most go for, that's good too. Somebody make a new FPS with some levels that feel interesting and fun to check out. And preferably with a fast pace. And don't be afraid to go a bit abstract with it.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Kaiser's working on proper mod tools for Turok, he posted a screenshot with an estimate of "very soon".

Nokiaman
Mar 2, 2013

ytisomauq posted:

ECWolf is awesome and your mods are, too. Thank you for your efforts and this cool gift :D

Seconding this. Love your ECWolf mods!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Heavy Metal posted:

On the talk of ranking or comparing stuff like Doom, Duke Nukem 3D, and Quake... (my fav is Duke 3D), those right there are the best ever! They all aged like fine wine and are easily the top three for user made SP content. (including Doom 2 of course)

Give me a new FPS with inventive level design like that, somebody. I do dig the Half-Life style of the more cinematic narrative adventure most go for, that's good too. Somebody make a new FPS with some levels that feel interesting and fun to check out. And preferably with a fast pace. And don't be afraid to go a bit abstract with it.

Playing Wrack, your description is everything it isn't.

My god, is it ever lifeless and boring :negative:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

The thing I dislike the most in wrack is how boring enemies are.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Guillermus posted:

The thing I dislike the most in wrack is how boring enemies are.

Same for me, but also the weapons, music, and level design.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Anybody having difficulty launching Turok? I get the audio that I remember from the N64 (including that monkey!) but all I see is this, with the bar other colors sometimes:

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes
You're not running an Intel HD Graphics chipset by any chance? And are its drivers up to date?

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
OK I am super excited about this, but not in a place where I can play it at the moment.

Sock has released the Arcane Dimensions mod for Quake.

No website yet, just the DL link: http://www.simonoc.com/files/ad/ad_v1_42final.zip

It's also mirrored on Quaddicted: https://www.quaddicted.com/reviews/ad_v1_42final.html

This is: a mod and textures and maps from sock, as well as maps from mfx, FifthElephant, ionous, Scampie, and Lunaran. The readme also credits Lunaran with "Animation, Art, Code Support", Eric Wasylishen (has done a lot of work on Quakespasm and on level compiler tools) for "LD Compiler Support and Level Design", Corey Jones for "Animation and Code Support", Andrew Denner for "Art pipeline tools and Code Support". These guys are some of the best Quake-content-machines, several of them current or ex-pro developers, all of them great at producing inventive stuff that is still Quake-y.

The mod includes new weapons and many new monsters, including repurposing some models from other mods or Quake-era games. (End of the readme has a long list of credits for models, sounds, and textures.) It adds support for breakable environments, a new particle system, and a other new mapping toys. It's open source and has a lot of documentation for the purposes of supporting further maps (similar to the way Quoth has been used).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=entq9ZReftE

It's recommend to use with Quakespasm (version 0.90.1 or later), but it looks like it also includes some example settings tuned for use with DarkPlaces.

Unzip it into a new folder parallel with your id1 folder. By default this will be a folder named "ad_v1_42final" although you can rename it whatever, as long as you give the right folder name to the -game option on the command line. To make sure you have enough memory allocated, run your Quake engine with the command-line arguments "-heapsize 256000 -zone 4096 -game ad_v1_42final".

I'm assuming this is going to be awesome, y'all. Someone report back. :-)

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Rocket Pan posted:

You're not running an Intel HD Graphics chipset by any chance? And are its drivers up to date?

Nah, I've got Win 7 32-bit, 2-core 2.0GHz Intel chip, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4330 w/256 MB VRAM, and 3GB RAM.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Oh god Totenhaus actually requires a dev build and I said 1.3.2 and now I've probably royally hosed up this release, gg me. :eng99:

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Pope Guilty posted:

Nah, I've got Win 7 32-bit, 2-core 2.0GHz Intel chip, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4330 w/256 MB VRAM, and 3GB RAM.

Still check the drivers if you can. Looks like the initial driver release didn't support all extensions, so that's always a good start. However that is a fairly old ATI card (notable in that it's still called ATI, when all their GPUs are now called AMD), and older ATI cards & drivers really liked fudging GL 2 specifications.

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012

Woolie Wool posted:

Oh god Totenhaus actually requires a dev build and I said 1.3.2 and now I've probably royally hosed up this release, gg me. :eng99:

No worries, man. I can wait on murdering some nazis.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Johnny Law posted:

OK I am super excited about this, but not in a place where I can play it at the moment.

No website yet, just the DL link: http://www.simonoc.com/files/ad/ad_v1_42final.zip

It's also mirrored on Quaddicted: https://www.quaddicted.com/reviews/ad_v1_42final.html

This is: a mod and textures and maps from sock, as well as maps from mfx, FifthElephant, ionous, Scampie, and Lunaran. The readme also credits Lunaran with "Animation, Art, Code Support", Eric Wasylishen (has done a lot of work on Quakespasm and on level compiler tools) for "LD Compiler Support and Level Design", Corey Jones for "Animation and Code Support", Andrew Denner for "Art pipeline tools and Code Support". These guys are some of the best Quake-content-machines, several of them current or ex-pro developers, all of them great at producing inventive stuff that is still Quake-y.

The mod includes new weapons and many new monsters, including repurposing some models from other mods or Quake-era games. (End of the readme has a long list of credits for models, sounds, and textures.) It adds support for breakable environments, a new particle system, and a other new mapping toys. It's open source and has a lot of documentation for the purposes of supporting further maps (similar to the way Quoth has been used).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=entq9ZReftE

It's recommend to use with Quakespasm (version 0.90.1 or later), but it looks like it also includes some example settings tuned for use with DarkPlaces.

Unzip it into a new folder parallel with your id1 folder. By default this will be a folder named "ad_v1_42final" although you can rename it whatever, as long as you give the right folder name to the -game option on the command line. To make sure you have enough memory allocated, run your Quake engine with the command-line arguments "-heapsize 256000 -zone 4096 -game ad_v1_42final".

I'm assuming this is going to be awesome, y'all. Someone report back. :-)

That looks really nice. The new Death Knight and Ogre death animations that have their weapons fall out of their hands is pretty slick, the level design looks fantastic, and it looks like it's using the DoE's statue knights well. I'll try and play it soon.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

CowboyAndy posted:

No worries, man. I can wait on murdering some nazis.

You don't have to wait, just go to http://devbuilds.drdteam.org

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Johnny Law posted:

Bloody hell, it's 139mb zipped. Which is waaaaaay bigger than the previous largest Quake mod project - Rubicon Rumble - which weighed in at merely 85mb.

So, in terms of raw tonnage, this is the biggest and most ambitious Quake 1 mod ever. And it's a collab between a lot of very talented veterans. Sweet. I've only given it the briefest of looks, but it makes me really glad that while Quake may not have a huge mod scene, it has a ridiculously organized one. I downloaded and installed it with one click in Quake Injector and started playing with a second click.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Colon Semicolon posted:

It's stuff that's part of the engine, yeah. Alot of the more common-sense culling setups aren't in the engine, (that I know about anyway) since it was probably never designed to make major use of the models like this. That means it TECHNICALLY supports staticmeshes, despite that not being a thing back then. The most the game ever made use of was barrels, enemies, and animated props like the satellite dish that you couldn't reach or interact with. It's actually suprising how much stuff there is for using and affecting the meshes, honestly.

E: I didn't realize the image host didn't allow hotlinking. I just used the same link my friend sent me. My bad!

I'd be curious to learn more of the technical stuff. Is there an entity in the base game that can take a model path/filename as one of its attributes and it displays that model? I know a bunch of the decorative stuff like the black hole and satellite dish and the fighter craft each had their own hardcoded single-purpose entities.

The game also had an entity called target_actor that was supposed to be a friendly soldier with a machine gun for a weapon. However even though it's still in the game as of the latest official patch it's balls to the wall broken. I never actually tried using one in the editor but all of the frame numbers are wrong for the male grunt model that it uses. I found this out because I made a mecha mod (for a learning experience and unreleased) using various robot player models I found on the internet plus a scaled down male grunt for an infantryman. I thought it would be a great idea to use the target_actor code as a base but when I got it working the animations were hosed until I fixed it with the proper numbers.

I think it's a shame that id never bothered to fix it because friendly or neutral "NPCs" other than the insane marines would have been a fun feature to have for maps without needing custom code.

Edit: I have weird nostalgia for Quake 2's setting, look, gameplay, and such so maybe I should make a mod for real one day when the nostalgia train catches up to the early 3D era

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Dec 26, 2015

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Rocket Pan posted:

Still check the drivers if you can. Looks like the initial driver release didn't support all extensions, so that's always a good start. However that is a fairly old ATI card (notable in that it's still called ATI, when all their GPUs are now called AMD), and older ATI cards & drivers really liked fudging GL 2 specifications.

I installed the latest driver only to have the computer abruptly completely power down during installation. When I turned it back on, the screen wouldn't turn on, which kept happening, so I plugged it in via VGA cable to my TV... which didn't work, but did somehow cause the screen to start working again. Now I get an error message when I boot but Turok works, so... call it a wash, I guess.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Pope Guilty posted:

I installed the latest driver only to have the computer abruptly completely power down during installation. When I turned it back on, the screen wouldn't turn on, which kept happening, so I plugged it in via VGA cable to my TV... which didn't work, but did somehow cause the screen to start working again. Now I get an error message when I boot but Turok works, so... call it a wash, I guess.

What's your specific CPU? You said "2 core 2 ghz intel" earlier but that's not really clear enough and knowing the actual model could help solve things.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
Arcane Dimensions note: folks on func_msgboard are recommending this developer build of Quakespasm: http://quakespasm.ericwa.com/job/quakespasm-sdl2/lastStableBuild/artifact/quakespasm-r1268.zip

=====

Couple of other things...

Some new console commands you can use after loading a map:

quote:

ver // Display version information for MOD
autoaim // Toggle player weapon Auto Aim (default = OFF)
zaware // Toggle Z Aware monsters (default = ON)
feet // Toggle monster / player footstep sounds (default = ON)
liqdmg // Toggle monster liquid damage (default = ON)
ritems // Toggle randomly rotated items (default = ON)
upgproj // Toggle Shotgun Projectiles/Casing (default = ON)
pixels // Toggle texture pixel mode (linear = blurry, nearest = crispy)

There's also a commented quake.rc that comes with the mod. Might want to poke around there, for example to permanently set some configuration so that you don't have to keep using one of the above commands.

JLaw fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Dec 26, 2015

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Johnny Law posted:

Arcane Dimensions note: folks on func_msgboard are recommending this developer build of Quakespasm: http://quakespasm.ericwa.com/job/quakespasm-sdl2/lastStableBuild/artifact/quakespasm-r1268.zip

I never would have known there were dev-builds of Quakespasm if not for this. They're not listed on the official site at all.

Here's the feed for more builds.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
What's different in the devbuild? I booted it up in regular Quakespasm for a couple minutes last night and got an error on startup, but the menu and game worked fine apart from that.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
The dev build supports more sound effects in a map.

In any case, be sure to launch with a command line that specifies the recommended increased values for zone and heapsize.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Johnny Law posted:

The dev build supports more sound effects in a map.

In any case, be sure to launch with a command line that specifies the recommended increased values for zone and heapsize.

You could also make a batch file that does it. I launch all of my Q1 mods with .bats, partially in case I need to add extra command line parameters.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

closeted republican posted:

You could also make a batch file that does it. I launch all of my Q1 mods with .bats, partially in case I need to add extra command line parameters.

If you're using Quake Injector (why shouldn't you?) you can just add those commands in the config panel. Anything for a specific mod you can put in an autoexec.cfg

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Dec 27, 2015

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Daikatana 1.3 has received a huge update that redoes the online protocol to make it smoother and to add things like map voting, spectator mode, and HTTP map voting. It also has lots of bug fixes and improvements, like much better Superfly and Mikiko pathing and map fixes, that have been worked on since the last 1.3 release.

Grab it over at https://bitbucket.org/DGibson/daikatana-1.3/wiki/Downloads

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Because I know the love of this thread to Brutal Doom, SgtMarkIV just released another BD v20b trailer, with 31st Dec as release date for the update:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NW8AHt5dgpw

:wink:

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

BattleMaster posted:

I'd be curious to learn more of the technical stuff. Is there an entity in the base game that can take a model path/filename as one of its attributes and it displays that model? I know a bunch of the decorative stuff like the black hole and satellite dish and the fighter craft each had their own hardcoded single-purpose entities.

The game also had an entity called target_actor that was supposed to be a friendly soldier with a machine gun for a weapon. However even though it's still in the game as of the latest official patch it's balls to the wall broken. I never actually tried using one in the editor but all of the frame numbers are wrong for the male grunt model that it uses. I found this out because I made a mecha mod (for a learning experience and unreleased) using various robot player models I found on the internet plus a scaled down male grunt for an infantryman. I thought it would be a great idea to use the target_actor code as a base but when I got it working the animations were hosed until I fixed it with the proper numbers.

I think it's a shame that id never bothered to fix it because friendly or neutral "NPCs" other than the insane marines would have been a fun feature to have for maps without needing custom code.

Edit: I have weird nostalgia for Quake 2's setting, look, gameplay, and such so maybe I should make a mod for real one day when the nostalgia train catches up to the early 3D era

Truth be told, I think my friend is just straight up adding new entries in his mod's code. There's not really an easy way to do it beyond the scripting setup. I already know he's been making new textures and such for the brushes, but he's also been looking at the way the game handles stuff. Basically though, meshes have a set of various properties that can be attributed to them. Making them interactable is apparently very easy, but the only collision box types you can apply are cube and cylinder. These are easily set by just defining two corners (lower left and upper right if I remember right) and the game will figure out the rest. I think 'pushable' is also in those properties but I can't remember. Otherwise, you can go hog wild with them because the engine just doesn't care.

Though, since he got Trenchbroom working with Quake 2, he abandoned the fully modelled hallway setup since Trenchbroom allows for much easier creation of such complex spaces. he's instead opted to use meshes for decorative purposes since that's less work. (and yet he's making meshes to bake out looping textures, I don't get it it's quake 2 but whatever) You can still totally do that IF YOU WANT, but it's certainly a more complicated setup than what you need.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Aww, I was kind of hoping that the game had an entity for that that went overlooked. Making such an entity would be pretty easy though.

Edit: I'm actually going to have a go at it right now

Edit: I made an entity that lets you assign a model file to it in the editor

Disadvantages other than the ones already discussed include that in the original Quake 2 engine (I don't know about source ports) the lighting on models is uniform, so it wouldn't work well as a substitute for pieces of the level like hallways. It should work fine for details and decorations and other things that are on a similar scale to an item or player though.

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Dec 27, 2015

Shayu
Feb 9, 2014
Five dollars for five words.
Today in my heart I feel such great happiness, as I have completed THE ULTIMATE DOOM and it's successors. They are great game to play, but, I feel that the first game is the greatest, the others feel not so exciting. However, I felt the game a little simple, the levels not very complex, but in some way it is much better. I do not become distracted and can focus on my quest, to kill the aliens and demons, to venture to hell and return. In other game, like Shadow Warrior, I become distracted by Rabbit or by driving the boat. I become lost looking for key. But Doom is not so superfluous... I had only one goal.

loga mira
Feb 16, 2011

WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE NAZIS?
Warms my heart to see so much Quake-related discussion itt.

BattleMaster posted:

Disadvantages other than the ones already discussed include that in the original Quake 2 engine (I don't know about source ports) the lighting on models is uniform, so it wouldn't work well as a substitute for pieces of the level like hallways. It should work fine for details and decorations and other things that are on a similar scale to an item or player though.

I assumed the big deal was that it was somehow possible to inlude those models in lightmap calculation, otherwise they'll stick out pretty bad. There was an article on Gamasutra? by one of Quake's programmers decribing how they went from trying to do stuff like spotlights with Gouraud shading by adding extra vertices everywhere, to light maps.

I've been loving around with Quakes models and anims including adding Doom-like gun models and sounds. Looks like this currently

Reive
May 21, 2009

loga mira posted:

I've been loving around with Quakes models and anims including adding Doom-like gun models and sounds. Looks like this currently

That looks pretty drat good, one of my few gripes with Quake is how lifeless the weapons appear when firing, if you made animations like that for each weapon and released it I'd be so happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loga mira
Feb 16, 2011

WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE NAZIS?

Reive posted:

one of my few gripes with Quake is how lifeless the weapons appear when firing

Same, Quake's guns "feel" much better to me than Doom's but the models are mostly made of primitives, just boxes stuck together, and the animations are super simple. Maybe they ran out of time because monsters' models are much more complex and their animations still hold up imo. Quake's guns are much faster though so the animations can't be frame perfect, and I'm editing the sounds as well.

Probably gonna take me around a month with holidays and all. Editing Quake's models is surprisingly straightforward, import/export from Blender, put inside pak and it just works, no fussing.