Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
i know it's not sardines but i figured the thread might like it anyway cause its delicious fishyness

made two of those fuckers today and they're delicious

smoked salmon btw

look at dat oily goodness just glistening on there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lathespin.gif
May 19, 2005
Pillbug
^^ oh man, gimmie dat fish. GIMMIE. ^^

I made fishman eggs with a side of skillet taters for my dad this christmas, turkey's in the oven so I had to improvise. I'm normally an omelet guy so I used crimini shrooms, spinach, green onions, sun-dried tomatoes, fresh garlic, and these:

The extra-smokey fishes were a good match for breakfast cookin'

Probably wanted about two minutes less heat, the yolks were just slightly firmer than ideal, imo

Final results- a happy 'dine dad :coolfish:

Lathespin.gif fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Dec 26, 2015

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
I had sardine for the first time at a sushi place in Japan. Holy crap, where has this fish been all my life? Its easily up there with the super expensive stuff like Fatty Tuna for me.

I recently got some canned sardines in the US, and while they obviously weren't as good they tasted really good on pizza and int his potato,dill sardine cake recipe I found.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Sardine tank at the Monterey Bay Aquarium from our trip earlier in the year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtEapETmlEk

My wife knows me well enough at this point not to ask why I was shooting a fish tank for almost a straight minute.

eat 'em.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I'm having panna cotta for desert it's not very dadly but I like it hm

wireframeskull
Dec 3, 2006

DiggityDoink posted:

i know it's not sardines but i figured the thread might like it anyway cause its delicious fishyness

smoked salmon btw

Let's be real this is really a sardine-focused dad thread so please post all of your dadly antics because I want to read that poo poo.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Tbh any fish rolls ITT if it's regularly canned I think. Mackerels salmons tunas and oysters (not a fish but still gets tinned) can all hang with the almighty dine :coolfish:

ShitheadDeluxe
May 14, 2007
I'm working on christmas, but I got a nice tin of 'dines and a family to piss off by eating them waiting on me at home. Merry Christmas 'dines thread.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
Against better judgement I bought some scrub tier sardines the other day, Pampa Sardines in Louisiana hot sauce. Opening the can revealed only 2 fish and a lot of red water, which was neither sauce nor hot. I checked the ingredients and it was water, no oil. Big fail there on my part for not looking before. I braved the China based fishes and made it two tiny bites. I bet it's what many people think dines taste like, fishy and tough in all the wrong ways. First unfinished tin I've ever chucked, luckily I had some King Oscars which brought me back to fishy goodness.

Learn from my mistakes.

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
I just fed my cats those horrible water soaked bumblebee 'dines. 2 out of 3 of them didn't even want anything to do with them, and now my house fuckin reeks.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Well now you know which cat is loyal to you for when the day comes

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I bought sprats in a black round can because on the can it said SPRATS in gold letters and I recognized those letters from a dream / my Something Awful sardine thread, that is the power of the internet.

I haven't eaten them yet because that is the power of self control, son.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I had caviar today. I thought it was pretty good. It came in a jar, so I figured it's fair game for this thread.

Dinner was salmon filets with rice covered in baby shrimp and bay scallops. Also stuffed clam shells and asparagus.

insulated staircase
Aug 21, 2014

gently caress this second incarnation of the nasty fish thread

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

a real jerk posted:

I'd gently caress it if I could, buddy.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

a real jerk posted:

gently caress you and merry christmas pal

Secks Cauldron
Aug 26, 2006

I thought they closed that place down!

DiggityDoink posted:

smoked salmon btw

I like a sliced bagel with smoked salmon on one side, Nova lox on the other, then a thick layer of raw onion in the middle. I usually eat two and a half bagels like that because they're drat good.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
My dad's wife looked at my Facebook page and saw that I'd liked King Oscars page.

Scored tonight!

lil bip
Mar 13, 2004

That ain't workin', that's the way you do it
Ohh yeah dine thread, you are like warm comforting socks on a cold winters eve.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Keith Atherton posted:

My dad's wife looked at my Facebook page and saw that I'd liked King Oscars page.

Scored tonight!

Pro Stepmom

insulated staircase
Aug 21, 2014

Keith Atherton posted:

Scored tonight!

oh good you got a bunch of nasty fish for christmas

nice

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010
Tonight I had some Clover Leaf brislings in olive oil, they weren't bad with hot sauce. Gonna get some KOs soon, dads.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0_EWr2GJ5A

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
A good sardine can make a caesar salad even better and provide just that extra pack of nutrition you won't find in other vegetables in your sensible salad!

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Keith Atherton posted:

Scored tonight!

:coolfish:

That's a good Christmas gift right there

givepatajob
Apr 8, 2003

One finds that this is the best of all possible worlds.
Chiming in that this thread encouraged me to buy my first sardines this morning. King Oscar Mediterranean. I ate the bones on some crackers and this poo poo is really tasty. Also, it made my dick grow three inches.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Sheep-Goats posted:

I bought sprats in a black round can because on the can it said SPRATS in gold letters and I recognized those letters from a dream / my Something Awful sardine thread, that is the power of the internet.

I haven't eaten them yet because that is the power of self control, son.

Sounds like rigas? Good choice, if so! If the tin were small enough to be single-serving they'd beat KO for my favorite. I usually share my rigas with a fellow 'dine-eater by having them for lunch at work.

Also, next to the sprats at my market, there is Riga sardine pâté. I am nervous about buying a can of fish paste. Maybe... too... dadly?

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
ever hear that nagging voice in the back of your head saying that sardines are gross? then you turn around and say QUITE WIFE!?

Szechuan
Mar 3, 2008

Sizone posted:

ever hear that nagging voice in the back of your head saying that sardines are gross? then you turn around and say QUITE WIFE!?

Yes, but only because my mouth is stuffed full of sardines and I can't speak clearly.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf

Went out to a more high end store today and saw these, they were a bit pricier than usual so I hope they're good.

I've only eaten rapeseed oil and tomato paste 'dines before! Exciting stuff

Will report back

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015

Number 1 Sexy Dad posted:

Sounds like rigas? Good choice, if so! If the tin were small enough to be single-serving they'd beat KO for my favorite. I usually share my rigas with a fellow 'dine-eater by having them for lunch at work.

Also, next to the sprats at my market, there is Riga sardine pâté. I am nervous about buying a can of fish paste. Maybe... too... dadly?

buy the pate you goddamn wuss

spread it on a thick cracker, like melba toast

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

the fam, among other things, put smoked oysters and hot sauce in my xmas stocking

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Made the fisherman's eggs from the OP at 500. Was drat good but not sure if the eternity to get the oven to 500 was worth it.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

LongDarkNight posted:

Made the fisherman's eggs from the OP at 500. Was drat good but not sure if the eternity to get the oven to 500 was worth it.

Lol

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
Update: these minerva 'dines are drat fine. Very large fishies, super firm with a light smoky yet rich umami 'dine flavor and a nice heat from the spices that lingers for a while without being overpowering. Eating them on crackers with some dijon mustard and alternating with hot sauce (i like to vary my sauces)

Portuguese 'dines are fine little fishes for sure, will buy again!!!!! Get these sardines if you see them

edit: holy gently caress there is a little chili pepper at the bottom of the tin! what!!!!

AEMINAL fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Dec 26, 2015

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

LongDarkNight posted:

Evidence is starting to stack up gentlemans

raton fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Dec 27, 2015

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Never had a problem just using the dang broiler.

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

Number 1 Sexy Dad posted:

cant be worse than taramasalata

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

i just bought 1 can of each type of KO my store had: regular in olive oil, boneless skinless in olive oil, mediterranean, and ... anchovies, which arent sardines but who cares? they loving rule

gonna try fishermans eggs soon, probably using the mediterranean dines

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Picked up a can of Brunswick kipper snacks at the store today - they didn't have a great selection, and I'm easing myself back into the world of canned fish products.

Keeping an eye out for King Oscar at the recommendation of this thread.