Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
In Tragedy Looper, the protagonists have cards that say "once per loop" on them. Does this mean that each card they have can be played during a loop? or that, once one of the protagonists plays their copy, the other players set theirs aside for the rest of the loop?

edit: Also, I'm really nervous I'm not going to be a very good mastermind for my group. This kind of logical, analytical thinking is NOT my strong suit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Chancellor is much, much stronger than Scout.

Chancellor is weird and by the time you figure out it's even useful you probably have an expansion with way more exciting cards that are not boring. But it is still good.

Scout is decent if you get at least one victory action that is spammable and good if you get that plus another low cost kingdom victory that is worth buying, but that is a really rare scenario unless you game it yourself. It sucks because the idea behind it is decent but it is so terrible and there is nothing else like it (DXV hates repeating ideas unless he can put a new spin on them).

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe

mr sad posted:

In Tragedy Looper, the protagonists have cards that say "once per loop" on them. Does this mean that each card they have can be played during a loop? or that, once one of the protagonists plays their copy, the other players set theirs aside for the rest of the loop?

The former. Each "Once per loop" card can be played once per loop, regardless of whether anyone else has played their copy or not.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Malt posted:

Based on the reaction here I thought exploding kittens was going to be horrible. There isn't much there, but at least it's an actual game and it's over quick so imo it's harmless.

It is horrible, and it's not really much of a game at all. There's very little decision-making by players and a poo poo ton of RNG.

mr sad posted:

edit: Also, I'm really nervous I'm not going to be a very good mastermind for my group. This kind of logical, analytical thinking is NOT my strong suit.

All cards go back to your hand immediately upon being used, with the exception of Once Per Loop cards (the Mastermind has a couple, too). Those get set aside individually when used and return to their owner's hands at the end of the Time Spiral. Each is usable once per loop, which means for example that the Protagonists get +2 Goodwill a maximum of thrice in a given loop.

I got Skull for Christmas. Holy poo poo, this game is way loving better than I thought it would be! I seriously can't get enough of this poo poo!

We also played:
  • Codenames
  • Coup
  • Intrigue
  • Pictomania

And shockingly enough, Pictomania had people the angriest at each other. Skull had the most shouting and talking poo poo, though.

Am I the only person who gets in like 3-4 games of Codenames in a row and then gets super burned out on it for the night? Seems to happen every time it hits the table.

Heisenberg1276
Apr 13, 2007
My wife gave me Game Of Thrones, Mage Knight, and Food Chain Magnate is on the way (it didn't come in stock until too late).

Anything I should know about any of these before playing? I'm planning on playing through the introduction game of Mage Knight today - and trying to learn Game Of Thrones ahead of getting 6 people together on Monday. I'll figure out FCM when it arrives.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Broken Loose posted:

I got Skull for Christmas. Holy poo poo, this game is way loving better than I thought it would be! I seriously can't get enough of this poo poo!

Skull is great because it's pretty much Liar's Dice with coasters and a better endgame.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Skull is cool, I can get down with Skull. I wouldn't, say, put it higher than Coup or Resistance in a top 50 board games list, but it definitely fills the niche when you want something lighter than even either of those two games.

Played three games of Pandemic: Legacy today. Two practice games, which were both lost through entirely filling the board with yellow cubes and through horrible outbreaks, respectively, and then our starting January game with the Legacy stuff, which we won coming pretty close down to the wire. We started a game, went to see Star Wars right as our game was winding down, then got back and finished it up. Feels good, I'm on board. I think the family is too.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

silvergoose posted:

Welp, just played the first game of Pandemic Legacy. Cool stuff! Looking forward to more!

You're gonna get hosed. Enjoy.

In all seriousness, it's fantastic*. Best game of 2015. Legacy is the best thing ever.

*Not quite finished yet. I like to hope the ending doesn't suck.

Edit: Played a game of Pandemic on my phone, and lost on the first turn. Since I couldn't get to the middle east, I cleared up the problem in Asia. Followed by a middle east pull off an Epidemic card. Then the infections only hit 3 cube middle east cities, causing chain reactions, and more chain reactions, and it all ended horribly.

The General fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Dec 26, 2015

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mr sad posted:

I had some performance anxiety too just because the game is so different from anything else i've played, but I read someone's pbp thread of the first script (tragedy looper is the only game I know of that's totally reasonable to play-by-post), and read through the quite comprehensive Mastermind guide to playing the first script too. After that maybe one of the other players will be chomping at the bit to give mastermind a try, idk your group though.

Someone else posted an interesting observation about masterminding, if you play with multiple groups: once you run a script, you can never play it yourself as a protagonist. Obvious when you think about it right? So try to always play a scenario first if you can, in order to experience it, then you can mastermind it as many times as you want for others. Getting the protagonist perspective can only help hone your masterminding skills too.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Rutibex posted:

I have been cliping tokens and (hard) plastic space ships for the last hour and a half

Now you are truly ready to buy FIelds of Fire, Rutibex.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

sector_corrector posted:

So are there any good house rules that improve the last part of Mysterium?

Our group has come up with a version that we all like better. This is based.on the original version of the rules and so ignores the clairvoyance stuff, everything is fully co-op and we don't use timers or anything.

1. Players can go through the tiers multiple times, guessing weapon, place, person on successive rounds and starting over again at weapon if they complete their first set in under seven days.

2. Whatever correct answers the players make, those cards are removed from the game. Thematically, the investigators are eliminating as many possibilities as they can during the 7 days. In the final (8th) round, the investigators will have to pick the right answers from whatever options are left on the board.

3. Investigators need to collectively identify weapon, location, and person in the final round. The ghost gives them a clue set as well as their discards for each category, and can decide on the order. The investigators only get one guess for each category though.

We found these changes make the ending feel more climactic by giving a sense of progression throughout the game. Be warned though that it can increase the length of the game though.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Received Legion of Honor (a Napoleonic era Board game), and Trickerion (the magic based kickstarter game) from ole Saint Nic. In hindsight I should have known about Trickerion, as they kept trying to get me out of backing it, but Legion of Honor came out of nowhere.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Another Terra Mystica question:

I think someone here said that the expansion would fix some of the race balance issues. How is that achieved?

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I'm trying to introduce the concept of "actually fun" games to my family. It's not really taking. Explaining Sushi Go! took 20 minutes because they couldn't stop yelling about what an terribly complex unplayable game it was. Guess it's back to Trumpet and Bingo! :suicide:

This was my experience with trying to explain Dixit last Christmas. In an effort to make things easier I just stuck Jackbox on the TV when it was time for "Mojo to sort out of a game for us". It turns out that despite owning smartphones most people can't navigate to a website using them.

"What do I have to download?"

"Is this on facebook?"

"It wants me to buy something"

"What's my name?"

Finally we got everybody signed in and then it was a race against the clock to manage to type something in and blaming me for breaking things when their phone goes back to sleep.

And then the website crashed halfway through the third game (probably due to the festive load)

So all in all, probably much easier than Dixit but still makes me wonder how they manage in day to day life

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I'm so glad LED and Sushi Go have completely replaced Monopoly and Risk at home.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Selecta84 posted:

Another Terra Mystica question:

I think someone here said that the expansion would fix some of the race balance issues. How is that achieved?
One of the main unbalancing factors was the map, the new maps are much better balanced and don't favour black. You can also do race auctions at the start of the game with the expansion: you basically set up all the bonuses, then draw however many races randomly out of a bag and then bid points to have the chance to take a race first. It works extremely well

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Azran posted:

I'm so glad LED and Sushi Go have completely replaced Monopoly and Risk at home.

Led?

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...

Mojo Jojo posted:

So all in all, probably much easier than Dixit but still makes me wonder how they manage in day to day life

I think the easiest way to go about explaining games like that to people who start nagging about complicated rules is just don't. Dixit, Codenames, even Mysterium ... You can just set up the game and tell every player what to do once their turn comes up.

Example for Dixit, choose the most vocal crybaby out of the lot and tell him the following:

You have a hand of cards. Choose a card you like and describe it vaguely enough so about half of the people at the table could pick it out of a lineup. Then put it on the table face-down.

The player will probably say something way too literal, along the lines of: a woman in a multicolored dress.

You tell the other players: choose a card from your hand that matches that description as closely as possible. Don't worry if you don't have anything that matches, just dump a card you don't like.

After the hidden voting, just score the round. If the second player hasn't caught on yet, they probably will after your turn. That's it, you've successfully explained Dixit.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Tekopo posted:

One of the main unbalancing factors was the map, the new maps are much better balanced and don't favour black. You can also do race auctions at the start of the game with the expansion: you basically set up all the bonuses, then draw however many races randomly out of a bag and then bid points to have the chance to take a race first. It works extremely well

Awesome.

So should I take the new map and leave out the new factions for the first games? I don't think anyone of us has any knowledge about the factions to do a proper bidding

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Yep, use the new map and leave the fire/ice factions out. Select races however you wish :)

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

The General posted:

You're gonna get hosed. Enjoy.

In all seriousness, it's fantastic*. Best game of 2015. Legacy is the best thing ever.

*Not quite finished yet. I like to hope the ending doesn't suck.

Edit: Played a game of Pandemic on my phone, and lost on the first turn. Since I couldn't get to the middle east, I cleared up the problem in Asia. Followed by a middle east pull off an Epidemic card. Then the infections only hit 3 cube middle east cities, causing chain reactions, and more chain reactions, and it all ended horribly.

Yeah we won the first game, eradicated two diseases, and are looking forward to February loving us hardcore. Pox Romana and Big Fever in Little China!

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I'm trying to introduce the concept of "actually fun" games to my family. It's not really taking. Explaining Sushi Go! took 20 minutes because they couldn't stop yelling about what an terribly complex unplayable game it was. Guess it's back to Trumpet and Bingo! :suicide:

I feel your pain. Dixit and Codenames was as complicated as I dared to try, and fortunately it went well. I looked at Sushi Go and decided not to bring it out. It is so lame that nobody wants to even try to think one tiny bit when playing games, nope, roll and move please, that way I can be "playing a game" but never stop talking and drinking. Oh well...

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Tekopo posted:

Yep, use the new map and leave the fire/ice factions out. Select races however you wish :)

Gonna do just that. Thanks!

I really can't wait to play this game

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Ash: You sell rocks?
Flint: Pewter City souveneirs, you want to buy some?
My girlfriend's family rounded out some missing staples in my collection by getting me Ticket to Ride and Memoir '44! Hooray! They were always on my wishlist but whenever I had money burning a hole in my pocket there was always some new hotness I wanted more.

How is Pandemic: Legacy with two players?

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I would probably have each person play 2 characters for Legacy. And it should be fine.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Same with Avalon. One player kept forgetting the difference between team voting and mission voting, another thought that failing missions while loyal would be fun. And not a single mission vote went further than 3.

Games took less than 5 minutes :(

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Ralp posted:

I had some performance anxiety too just because the game is so different from anything else i've played, but I read someone's pbp thread of the first script (tragedy looper is the only game I know of that's totally reasonable to play-by-post), and read through the quite comprehensive Mastermind guide to playing the first script too. After that maybe one of the other players will be chomping at the bit to give mastermind a try, idk your group though.

Someone else posted an interesting observation about masterminding, if you play with multiple groups: once you run a script, you can never play it yourself as a protagonist. Obvious when you think about it right? So try to always play a scenario first if you can, in order to experience it, then you can mastermind it as many times as you want for others. Getting the protagonist perspective can only help hone your masterminding skills too.

Thanks! This is really helpful.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
So I tried Viticulture Essential Edition on the wife. She did OK, but found it a little too much brain work for a leisure activity :smith:

Ah well, there's always automa.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Selecta84 posted:

Awesome.

So should I take the new map and leave out the new factions for the first games? I don't think anyone of us has any knowledge about the factions to do a proper bidding

Don't play with the new factions but I don't think the new map is any more complex. I'd suggest making sure people have "easy" races for the first game: Witches, Mermaids, Nomads, Halflings, Engineers are all pretty straightforward and aren't especially over or underpowered.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Indolent Bastard posted:

What needs improvement in your opinion?

I liked the game a great deal up until the final phase, where it felt like it was much more at the mercy of RNG.

edit: To expand a little, RNG is present in the other phases, but having 7 ticks in order to get things straight helps you to mitigate that. Having only a single chance (while it seems unavoidable to still have the game be challenging) makes the RNG aspect of the early game stand out a lot more.

sector_corrector fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Dec 26, 2015

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
We tried out the first case of Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective.

We hosed up. We hosed up real bad.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Aston posted:

Don't play with the new factions but I don't think the new map is any more complex. I'd suggest making sure people have "easy" races for the first game: Witches, Mermaids, Nomads, Halflings, Engineers are all pretty straightforward and aren't especially over or underpowered.

Yeah, I was thinking about playing with the suggested races from the rulebook. And the new races seem to be a bit more complicated then the other ones.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Yeah I don't suggest using the new races in your first playthroughs at all.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Tekopo posted:

Yeah I don't suggest using the new races in your first playthroughs at all.

Got it

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

I highly recommend the rule book starting races for your first game. They're all powerful and straightforward. Also I wouldn't worry about balance too much until you've all gotten to a certain level - none of the base races are particularly unbalanced except for Fakirs being a little weak. The expansion races break the rules in a lot of ways, so you shouldn't add them for a bit. When you do, add the Ice races first - they're the most 'normal'. The Fire races are weird but powerful. The colorless races have the unusual and interesting Riverwalkers, and the incredibly overpowered Shapeshifters - play at your own risk. There's a few different revisions of these guys from the designers online, and they're STILL not very well balanced.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Yeah, I think we will get a feeling for balance after a few games. Hopefully my group enjoyes the game

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

L.E.D is an Argentinian tile-laying game I got a couple months ago. You have to place one of your five replenishing tiles in such a way as to close color-matching LED circuits, scoring as many points as LED lights there are in the circuit. The thing is that every player has a hidden colour that runs on a separate scoring track, and these gain points according to the color of the circuit. So if you close a 7-LED circuit that doesn't belong to your colour, both you and someone else on the table got 7 points. The trick is that if you close a circuit, you might play another tile, and that tile will only score points for you, not the colour. So you want to finish circuits belonging to your colour in your first move, then circuits belonging to someone else in the second move.

The game is simple and fast, and its minimalistic style is wonderful and looks great on the table after the game ends. It seats four, as well, and you can play with teams. Big issues are a) kinda crappy rulebook, mostly badly organized and b) :lol: if any of your friends suffer from daltonism, because they won't be able to tell what the gently caress is going on. I'm also concerned how important colour secrecy, if someone finds out your colour then you can easily get dumpstered into oblivion unless you have a really strong lead.

After the disappointment of Ave Cesar (Citadels + Puerto Rico, but the rulebook was lovely as hell and we had to houserule stuff as idiotic as "what happens when the deck runs out 30 minutes into the game" because it had nothing about it) and Días de Radio (cooperative storytelling, my group just isn't the right one for this. Great production values though), L.E.D was a really pleasant surprise.
Still wondering if Carcassone would be good for my group, can't wait to try Codenames though.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Has anyone tried M.U.LE.? I loved the video game when I was a kid, and the theme is certainly doable as a board game, but I'd rather not buy complete garbage.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Does Galaxy Trucker work well with two people?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Reason posted:

Does Galaxy Trucker work well with two people?
Yes. Yes it does.