Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Drake_263 posted:

I wouldn't say the iEagle is better than the Eagle - it's more of a rebalance.

Basically, the iEagle has a better straightline top speed and acceleration, along with a bigger armament (1x C2, 2x C1) over the Eagle's 3x C1. It also has a bigger power generator to handle the increased energy drain.

Meanwhile, the standard Eagle is much, much more agile (though they have similar thruster arrays, the iEagle is more optimized for speed over maneuverability, and to boot the iEagle is carrying more weight, too). The increased weight on the iEagle also gives the stock Eagle a slightly better frameshift range, as well.

Between the two of them, they have identical internal equipment, armor and shield profiles, but I want to say the iEagle makes a slightly more predictable target thanks to its increased mass and weaker jink ability.

Basically think of the iEagle as less of an Eagle+ (that's the Vulture) and more of something halfway between an Eagle and a Viper.

The Imperial Eagle is an Eagle with style. It's the S+ version of the Eagle. :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

To whoever told me that I should upgrade the frame shift device ASAP: THANK YOU.

I can go from 5 or 6 systems to DOZENS now. It is loving ridiculous. I may actually earn some money doing courier work, or whatever.

BTW, missions suck balls and you can earn initial money much faster by keeping your eye on the navigation tab and going for wreckages/weak signal sources.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Transmetropolitan posted:

To whoever told me that I should upgrade the frame shift device ASAP: THANK YOU.

I can go from 5 or 6 systems to DOZENS now. It is loving ridiculous. I may actually earn some money doing courier work, or whatever.

BTW, missions suck balls and you can earn initial money much faster by keeping your eye on the navigation tab and going for wreckages/weak signal sources.

The best thing about FSD upgrades is that your powerplant is basically not effected, since you have to stow hardpoints anyway to activate it. Regardless of ship power needs you should always have the biggest FSD you can afford.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

:allears: It really is a nice feeling when all of inhabited space just kind of opens up for you.

Pro-tip: you actually use much much less fuel making shorter jumps, so if you are running low and land at Non-scoop able star and can't make your next jump see if you can switch to an economical route - you'll be amazed how much you can stretch a tank of fuel out

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Literally Kermit posted:

Pro-tip: you actually use much much less fuel making shorter jumps, so if you are running low and land at Non-scoop able star and can't make your next jump see if you can switch to an economical route - you'll be amazed how much you can stretch a tank of fuel out

Really helpful. Thanks!

Also I managed to drop a clown that tried to interdict me, claimed my first bounty, what a lovely day. Should I upgrade the Sidewinder or save up for an Eagle?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Really helpful. Thanks!

Also I managed to drop a clown that tried to interdict me, claimed my first bounty, what a lovely day. Should I upgrade the Sidewinder or save up for an Eagle?

If you are scooping stuff and doing random smuggling type things then get an Adder or just save for a Cobra.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Nuclearmonkee posted:

If you are scooping stuff and doing random smuggling type things then get an Adder or just save for a Cobra.

This, the adder is a lovely starter ship unless you plan to do combat only. Even then with its medium hardpoint and good maneuverability it can hold its own until you can afford the Cobra.

I wouln't upgrade the sidewinder much except for the FSD, you're going to be out of it soon enough.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
So I wanna pick this up, but have no interest whatsoever in buying Horizons. Kind of seems like a very dodgy way of going about things and I don't like to even think about slapping down more than $20 on an Early Access game.

But I'm interested in the base game, and have just been keeping an eye on it until I feel comfortable giving it a shot. What's the word on content support for the base game beyond the update that'll come with Horizons?

Like I'd probably consider it if it were $30-$40 but it feels off trying to charge that much for an expansion, and also using Early Access on top of all of that.

Arthil fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Dec 26, 2015

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
It's a fun and well-supported game. Buy it.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

Arthil posted:

So I wanna pick this up, but have no interest whatsoever in buying Horizons. Kind of seems like a very dodgy way of going about things and I don't like to even think about slapping down more than $20 on an Early Access game.

But I'm interested in the base game, and have just been keeping an eye on it until I feel comfortable giving it a shot. What's the word on content support for the base game beyond the update that'll come with Horizons?

Like I'd probably consider it if it were $30-$40 but it feels off trying to charge that much for an expansion, and also using Early Access on top of all of that.

Careful now, you're going to trigger all the diehards who just don't understand why normies object to buying the Mako segments from ME1 for full-game price as an expansion to an unfinished game. :spergin:

The problem with determining what new content will be gated behind Horizons is that very little new content has been announced. Some of what we know:

-Looting and crafting is planned and 'some' elements of it will be available to non-Horizons players.

-Multiple crew for ships, possibly including AI in addition to players, is planned. Unknown at this time what will be gated.

-Character appearance customization is planned, also unknown what will be gated. Current speculation is that non-Horizons users will be able to choose from some limited options- kind of necessary if they get to take part in multi-crew, because people's faces are visible as long as the ship is pressurized- but that most options will be Horizons-only.

-Fighter bays for ships are planned, a Horizons-only feature.

However, any updates to the actual core gameplay, such as stat rebalances, the vast majority if not all new ships, updates to the mission system and to powerplay if they ever get around to it, will all be part of the main game. I don't think there's much worry about updates to the main game stopping. In some ways, a fortunate side-effect of Horizons having so little content is that it would be kinda hard to develop as its own thing, it's just some neat toys on top of the base game.

Cathair fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Dec 26, 2015

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
I think that I'll buy the base game on discount, there's not really a rush to buy Horizons and while I'm sure it's amazing going down into a planets atmosphere I'll have plenty to be in awe of cause it's space.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

If you like it you can always wait until Horizons is on sale too. It'll have more features by then anyway.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Arthil posted:

I think that I'll buy the base game on discount, there's not really a rush to buy Horizons and while I'm sure it's amazing going down into a planets atmosphere I'll have plenty to be in awe of cause it's space.

Same, just bought it. $15 seems like a reasonable enough price.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
Yeah you can probably wait on Horizons for a year if it doesn't sing to you now. Probably get it as a bundle.

For me the price of expansion (even without a discount) is like having a five dollar a month subscription, and I play more than five bux worth in a month.

The diehard is coming from inside this post :ohdear:

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Arthil posted:

Atmospheric landings aren't happening until the next expansion. Horizons only allows landing on airless rocks.

The good part is that it seems they will be rolling things into one price, so 3-4 years down the line you'll be able to get everything by buying one expansion set.

Naturally Selected fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Dec 26, 2015

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Naturally Selected posted:

Atmospheric landings aren't happening until the next expansion. Horizons only allows landing on airless rocks.

The good part is that it seems they will be rolling things into one price, so 3-4 years down the line you'll be able to get everything by buying one expansion set.

There has been no announcement of atmospheric landings or even any talk by Frontier about it besides "not on Horizons launch". The only thing they have said is "life" landable planets will be it's own expansion. They have not said anything about the next expansion at all.
That said I wouldn't count on Horizons/2.0/this season including it, although I'm mildly optimistic about it. Planetary landings up until they officially announced it were seen as a wildly optimistic thing so they might do that again and shove atmospheric out during Horizons.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

Literally Kermit posted:

The diehard is coming from inside this post :ohdear:

Value is relative, it's no big deal until you've become one of the people trying to justify themselves by insisting that it should be a foregone conclusion for everyone. I'm no stranger to spending money on games with lots of problems because I enjoyed them regardless. :shrug:

I go :byodood: about the squandered potential of this game, and Frontier being stuck in the stone age of game design factors heavily into how much money I'm willing to give them just on principle. But is the base game worth it for $15, just as it stands? Yeah, I'd say so. And I look forward to buying Horizons on deep discount a year or so from now, it will probably be worth it then.

Cathair fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Dec 26, 2015

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
I picked up a hostage rescue mission, got the hostage, went back to the station, but I can't turn in the cargo. Is this a known issue by chance? If so, I'm going to space the hostage and blow them up, so it is a win/win either way.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

KakerMix posted:

There has been no announcement of atmospheric landings or even any talk by Frontier about it besides "not on Horizons launch". The only thing they have said is "life" landable planets will be it's own expansion. They have not said anything about the next expansion at all.
That said I wouldn't count on Horizons/2.0/this season including it, although I'm mildly optimistic about it. Planetary landings up until they officially announced it were seen as a wildly optimistic thing so they might do that again and shove atmospheric out during Horizons.

my own stupid theory is that next season is going to be ambulation, with it launching with moving around in ships and EVA repairs, with FPS stuff to happen down the road later in the season, and then atmospheric landings in two years. I base this on nothing.

Bushiz fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Dec 26, 2015

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

TheDK posted:

I picked up a hostage rescue mission, got the hostage, went back to the station, but I can't turn in the cargo. Is this a known issue by chance? If so, I'm going to space the hostage and blow them up, so it is a win/win either way.

Yes, that's a known bug. Many of the new missions are buggy, general concensus is don't take any of the ones that require a specific NPC to spawn, in addition to hostage missions. I haven't had much trouble with them but apparently even assassinations can be broke now.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
i love peepin planets in this game, i found one that was clearly experiencing a ice age and i went "woah, they are having a ice age"

ice age on that planet bitches

i hope they don't go bankrupt and sell the game to the russian mafia before i can land on them and peep the ice age

ice age

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

TheDK posted:

It probably needs a specific hostage, so make sure you get all of them out of the kidnappers ship. It might also fail the mission if you blow up the kidnapper, but I'm not sure on that.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Cathair posted:

I go :byodood: about the squandered potential of this game
Squandered potential?

It's more potential full stop in my view, since it's hopefully nowhere near finished.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Dec 26, 2015

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Bushiz posted:

my own stupid theory is that next season is going to be ambulation, with it launching with moving around in ships and EVA repairs, with FPS stuff to happen down the road later in the season, and then atmospheric landings in two years. I base this on nothing.

Atmospheric planets would be 'easier' in the sense that they already have the ability to generate them (with Stellar Forge), ~all they need~ is atmospheric flight models, weather effects and sound design. There isn't anything inherently new with atmo planets since the hardest part is building on what they already have. They have never said anything about FPS elements besides Braben getting all starry-eyed about hunting alien animals on planets. The reason I'm hopeful about atmospheric landings happening this season is it isn't a big enough thing to be a whole other expansion (you can land on planets, IN THE RAIN!!!) vs something fundamental like space legs or earth-like world landings and all their cities or hunting alien buffalo.
Again, we'll see. There was lots of early talk when Horizons was first revealed about how they were working on it right after Elite: Dangerous launched in Dec. 2014 so it stands to reason that whatever the next expansion is already being worked on.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

If they want to do atmospheres properly they'll have to work out methods for procedurally modelling things like surface erosion, so it's not quite as simple as changing the flight model and sticking in some clouds. And I'd hope they'd want to do it properly, given the effort they've already put into planet generation.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Is there a way to tell if a mission is gonna be multipart? The description doesn't always (rarely) mention it. I just did a "deliver 2 superconductors to X hey that sounds neat to do before i log off for the night" mission, that turned into find 5 domestic appliances, into FIND MORE poo poo and i went "no i'm done for now lol". Wish there weren't timers cause it'll just be "failed" when i want to play again.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Dongattack posted:

Is there a way to tell if a mission is gonna be multipart? The description doesn't always (rarely) mention it. I just did a "deliver 2 superconductors to X hey that sounds neat to do before i log off for the night" mission, that turned into find 5 domestic appliances, into FIND MORE poo poo and i went "no i'm done for now lol". Wish there weren't timers cause it'll just be "failed" when i want to play again.

There's usually 4 dots under the icon for multipart missions.

KakerMix posted:

Atmospheric planets would be 'easier' in the sense that they already have the ability to generate them (with Stellar Forge), ~all they need~ is atmospheric flight models, weather effects and sound design. There isn't anything inherently new with atmo planets since the hardest part is building on what they already have. They have never said anything about FPS elements besides Braben getting all starry-eyed about hunting alien animals on planets. The reason I'm hopeful about atmospheric landings happening this season is it isn't a big enough thing to be a whole other expansion (you can land on planets, IN THE RAIN!!!) vs something fundamental like space legs or earth-like world landings and all their cities or hunting alien buffalo.
Again, we'll see. There was lots of early talk when Horizons was first revealed about how they were working on it right after Elite: Dangerous launched in Dec. 2014 so it stands to reason that whatever the next expansion is already being worked on.

I'd like to think we'd get Mars-like atmospheric planets as part of Horizons, but don't get inhabited/Earthlikes until another expansion

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

After about 20 hours I finally "got" the game. It's a pretty sweet game.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Does the game simulate gravity wells? It seems too.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Icedude posted:

There's usually 4 dots under the icon for multipart missions.

Ah, got it. Man, i gotta say there are A LOT of important little things that this game never even tries to learn you.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
Hey is there a way to switch out the SRV you're using? I have more SRVs than I strictly need but I only see one in the drop-down and it's starting to get low on fuel. I am NOT near a system to refuel.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Only way is to blow up and respawn in your ship. SRV's are more like ammo than they are separate vehicles.

Or you could scoop some sulfur and phosphorus and refuel yourself that way.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

EponymousMrYar posted:

Only way is to blow up and respawn in your ship. SRV's are more like ammo than they are separate vehicles.

Or you could scoop some sulfur and phosphorus and refuel yourself that way.

Yeah I figured I'd have to blow them up, because of course that makes sense. I haven't actually looked at the resource cost for making fuel but I tend to spend more time just driving around than collecting stuff.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Blow up your poo poo if you want, no one's stopping you.

Before you do, you might want to check out the "Select Vehicle" option in the SRV menu though. I mean, it's right there next to Deploy so you've definitely both seen it!

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Plek posted:

Hey is there a way to switch out the SRV you're using? I have more SRVs than I strictly need but I only see one in the drop-down and it's starting to get low on fuel. I am NOT near a system to refuel.
If you're in your ship, you can use your crotch panel to switch which SRV is the "active" one if you have multiple.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Plek posted:

Yeah I figured I'd have to blow them up, because of course that makes sense. I haven't actually looked at the resource cost for making fuel but I tend to spend more time just driving around than collecting stuff.

My Python has two SRVs and I can choose which one to deploy from the ship. So as long as you are willing to return to your ship/recall it every time you want to switch, you can change which one to use.

EFB

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

If we get atmospheric landings, fps is the last thing that I want. I want the ability to build a log cabin, claim a patch of land and play space farmer.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Xtanstic posted:

If we get atmospheric landings, fps is the last thing that I want. I want the ability to build a log cabin, claim a patch of land and play space farmer.

If we ever get that far, I'll start filling up my exploration-ship with plants and animals I collect from alien planets. Maybe I even toss strange alien artefacts into my private zoo if I feel like it.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Atmospheric landings is probably the #1 thing I'm excited for. I wish it were coming this season, but they probably would've announced it if so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

For the person asking about streaming, I have my own channel at http://hitbox.tv/angrymog and Elite is one of the games in my usual rotation, and we have just started up the Diamond Frogs channel at http://www.twitch.tv/elitediamondfrogs which will be either showing hosted Goons or native streams.

• Locked thread