Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dictionar.com
Jul 17, 2005

VERISIGN IS A BAD COMPANY

revmoo posted:

Are there any cameras out yet that can do 1080p/30 for four hours on a charge? I don't mind swapping batteries, but running a cable from my helmet to the bike is a non-starter.

From five months ago but the sony actioncam seems like it will run continuously for around four hours. I haven't left it running that long but I know it can get 3-4 days of on and off commute footage (2 hrs?) without a charge. Swappable dslr style battery.

It has a good shape for helmet mount like the Drift, unlike a Gopro. I've only used it as a dashcam so far but it has record looping and nice image stabilisation. Sony seems to be abandoning the market and nobody makes accessories for it, but it has a standard thread on the base so you can ebay an adapter to the gopro mounts sold basically everywhere. They also seem to be super cheap in Canada right now but make sure it's the latest models since the old ones didnt have the ability to change settings in the case and maybe some electronics differences.

These units also have a wireless dick tracy style live colour display watch that lets you control recording with mc gloves on and gives you a heads up on battery and recording time, whether there's bug guts on the lens, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Is 1080p @ 60 fps good enough for pretty much anything? I am eyeing that Hero+, I know the battery life isn't great buts its more than enough for 99% of my rides.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yes. In fact, 720p @ 30 is probably fine for 99% of people just farting around and not planning to use the footage professionally.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Sagebrush posted:

Yes. In fact, 720p @ 30 is probably fine for 99% of people just farting around and not planning to use the footage professionally.

Yeah I just want it for insurance purposes should anything happen and to document some of my cooler trips.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
e: Just realized I posed this in the complete wrong thread. wth...

CovfefeCatCafe fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Nov 23, 2015

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Does anyone have a recommendation for stabilizing footage, or making it somewhat less shaky when filmed?

I used to have my GoPro mounted on the side of my helmet, which made nice stable footage, but you could always see the side of my helmet in the frame.

I switched to a chin mount and the perspective is much better, but the footage is also a lot shakier. I think it has to do with the rotational axis of my head: when the gopro is on the side of the helmet, nodding my head means that the camera only rotates around its own axis. On the chin, nodding my head moves the camera up and down a couple of inches as well as rotating it. So every little bounce gets magnified into an annoying shake.

Any ideas on getting around this?

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Sagebrush posted:

I switched to a chin mount and the perspective is much better, but the footage is also a lot shakier. I think it has to do with the rotational axis of my head: when the gopro is on the side of the helmet, nodding my head means that the camera only rotates around its own axis. On the chin, nodding my head moves the camera up and down a couple of inches as well as rotating it. So every little bounce gets magnified into an annoying shake.

I have thought a lot about this myself, being a proponent of the chin mount. I thought about remote mounting a battery pack or something on the back of the camera to help act as a counterweight and cut down on on head bobble, but for me at least, it's not a huge problem in the footage I've captured so far so I haven't worried too much about it. What's your mount set up like?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for stabilizing footage, or making it somewhat less shaky when filmed?

I used to have my GoPro mounted on the side of my helmet, which made nice stable footage, but you could always see the side of my helmet in the frame.

Neck brace?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I don't think there's any way around it unless you manage to mount a feiyu gimbal on your chin.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Shoot in the widest angle resolution available, that will minimize it at least

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

There are many stabilization programs out there, although I haven't tried any. There's even a stabilization option in youtube, it might not be too bad for single, continuous shots. It works by cropping the picture and computer magic figuring out how to move the cropped picture to counteract shake, so a wider shot will help to give it something to crop. (Sorry if this came out too mansplainy)

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Just picked up a silver go pro. What is the go to mic that everyone uses? And is there anyway I can just link my Sena to it or something similar?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

There's a bluetooth accessory for the gopro that allows you to link to sena.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Say I have an initial budget of $200 and will eventually be able to add little farkles here and there.

I want to do a helmet mount for insurance/tattletailing but also occasionally be able to take higher-quality video so that I can make YouTube videos that have my lovely taste in music overlain.

I also want to do some underwater videography of little stream fish and such, so the highest possible quality for the basic camera, case, battery, and charging stuff is what I'm after.

Would that be the Hero 3?

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I don't know what they cost over there but I would say do not get anything lower than a 3+. The 3 was a dog in terms of battery usage and bugs. The bugs may be sorted now for all I know but I'd steer well clear. The 3+ should gain you around half an hour of extra battery compared to the 3 off the top of my head. The 4 Silver is more or less the same as the 3+ if I'm not mistaken*, with the addition of the built-in screen.

*dont take my word for it, it's been a while since I've compared them all!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I have a 3 Black (the one with the worst battery life there is) and it gets about 90 minutes to 2 hours of continuous recording. There were some annoying bugs at first, mostly having to do with the camera not starting up or shutting down correctly, but they're all sorted out now.

Really, all GoPros have poo poo battery life for any sort of continuous recording. 2 hours vs 2.5 hours is not a big deal. If you want to be doing all-day timelapses or something, you need a power supply.

HAMAS HATE BOAT
Jun 5, 2010
ReplayXD is selling the prime X camera for 199 free shipping, and 30% off accessories http://www.replayxd.com/

Form factor wise it's probably the best motorcycle cam on the market. It's light and slim and feels fairly rugged. It's also waterproof to a few feet, should be fine in rain. Although I tend to ride through more ludicrous quantities of rain than most riders.

Mine came with two flat mounts instead of a flat and a curved, so I wasn't able to mount it to the helmet. However when I called customer service they did send me a curved for free and it does look like it will perfectly mate up to a few spots on my helmet. I may play with it this weekend a bit to try and get it setup.

I also downloaded the android app but it doesnt run on my nexus 5x, if i can't get it working i'll again try their tech support. Once I get that working it should allow viewing the camera output over wifi.

edit: looks like the latest version of android breaks the replay XD app. It works fine on an older tablet. I assume and hope the app will be updated soon-ish so i can use it on my phone.

HAMAS HATE BOAT fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Dec 19, 2015

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
What is the smallest, simplest camera for recording commutes? Gopros are too expensive for what they do IMO. I just want to mount it to my helmet, press record, and not worry about it.

The Sony HDR-AS20 looks like a good size and is well priced ($189 Canadian on Amazon.ca). Any others similar that may be better?

VERTiG0 fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Dec 23, 2015

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Something like the möbius cam maybe? The 808 keychain cams can be had cheap too, I guess it comes down to striking a balance between quality and price.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Got a Hero 3 bundle on Boxing Day sale. First order of business will be New Year's fireworks so it'll be a while before I get any biek footage.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Who all has successfully chin-mounted a GoPro on here so I can read their post history?

I got a Hero4 for Christmas and am about to :homebrew: :shrek:

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Me. I have yet to mount it on my new helmet though, might be a bit more conplicated this time.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

How do you guys like to mount go pros on mx helmets?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Who all has successfully chin-mounted a GoPro on here so I can read their post history?

Use the J-shaped mount and the short, non-rotated extension arm. Put them together and tilt the camera backwards until it hits the mount. It'll look like it's mounted at an angle, but since your helmet points downwards in the front, this is the correct way.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

M42 posted:

Me. I have yet to mount it on my new helmet though, might be a bit more conplicated this time.

Sagebrush posted:

Use the J-shaped mount and the short, non-rotated extension arm. Put them together and tilt the camera backwards until it hits the mount. It'll look like it's mounted at an angle, but since your helmet points downwards in the front, this is the correct way.

Right on, thanks. I was thinking of Here4DaGangBang's rig, I think, after running through your post histories. Unfortunately, all his image links are broken. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm concerned about clearance around my mouth vent.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I took to putting mine under the visor, basically mounted right on my forehead. If you tuck it back as far as possible, upside down, it is easy to see if it's recording and such, and easy to turn on and off. Depending on the shape and design of your helmet, you might need to use something more than just the J hook, but I was able to mount it with just that.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Fuckit, took the 3 back and got the 4 Silver, which is the one I was actually after :v:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Sagebrush posted:

I think you're describing what I did and it works great. Chin mount really is the best pov. I removed the sticky tape on the mount plate and scuffed it and the helmet up and epoxied it. I was paranoid about it falling off.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

Right on, thanks. I was thinking of Here4DaGangBang's rig, I think, after running through your post histories. Unfortunately, all his image links are broken. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm concerned about clearance around my mouth vent.

Yeah, I forgot to renew my hosting, sorry about that. I changed my set up a bit after my initial iteration, IIRC using two of the straight arms and a longer bolt with washers as packers to offset the camera on the mount so the lens is on the helmet centreline. Camera is upright and tilted back so it's at the right angle when being worn, as already described.

As for the mount plate, I used epoxy putty on the back of it to conform to the helmet shape (with some holes drilled in the mount plate and some coarse sanding on the back of it so the putty could squeeze through and key in), and that is in turn connected to the helmet with 3M Command adhesive strips. Holds plenty solid with no need for scuffing the helmet in my experience.

I'll be home in a couple of days, can grab some pics then if you like.

Here4DaGangBang fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Dec 28, 2015

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Yeah, I forgot to renew my hosting, sorry about that. I changed my set up a bit after my initial iteration, IIRC using two of the straight arms and a longer bolt with washers as packers to offset the camera on the mount so the lens is on the helmet centreline. Camera is upright and tilted back so it's at the right angle when being worn, as already described.

As for the mount plate, I used epoxy putty on the back of it to conform to the helmet shape (with some holes drilled in the mount plate and some coarse sanding on the back of it so the putty could squeeze through and key in), and that is in turn connected to the helmet with 3M Command adhesive strips. Holds plenty solid with no need for scuffing the helmet in my experience.

I'll be home in a couple of days, can grab some pics then if you like.

This sounds good. I'll start experimenting. What kind of putty, just a two-part epoxy-type thing?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

This sounds good. I'll start experimenting. What kind of putty, just a two-part epoxy-type thing?

Just make sure it's compatible with the lacquer (and composite, if appropriate) on your lid. Most epoxies should be with most helmets, but it's not something you want to get wrong.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Got a hero 4 session for christmas and mounting it to my helmet was a snap. I am excited to get some footage with this tomorrow:

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

I have it on my chinbar. Curved piece, horizontal length wise. I cut out the middle 1/3 of the adhesive foam because of the shape of my helmet. The other two thirds on the sides are mounted firmly and it holds great. I used some bolts from Ace hardware to replace the screws so nothing was sticking out. I don't remember the arm configuration, but it sits in the middle with the top aligned to the bottom of my visor.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

Yep, that's the stuff. Oh, and I should add that I put a layer of glad wrap (Saran wrap) on the chin bar so the epoxy was never in contact with the helmet surface. The tricky part is trying to squeeze the mount in evenly so that the camera doesn't end up looking slightly left or right, as you don't get too long to work with it.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Yep, that's the stuff. Oh, and I should add that I put a layer of glad wrap (Saran wrap) on the chin bar so the epoxy was never in contact with the helmet surface.

Yeah, I saw that. No doubt that stuff would void any warranty. I'm sure a release agent would as well.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Those 3M adhesive squares that they give you with just about everything helmet-related are way more than strong enough for anyone's purposes though, and need a lot less loving around. Also you can take them off with a hairdryer and patience without loving up your helmet if you change your mind.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I just bought a roll of the same stuff that gopro uses, and build up the mounts as needed. The exact product is 3M VHB 4991:

http://www.amazon.com/3M-4991-VHB-Tape/dp/B00K4SK454

Not cheap, but it's awesome. The half inch roll seems the most versatile. I've used it to mount various farkles to my bike without screws or bolts, and it really does hold up to 3M's claims of a "cold weld." Great stuff.

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004
Now that the gopro session is $200 on amazon with a 32 gb card, is it a good option? The form factor looks good for helmet mounting.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Depends, do you intend to take long videos with it? Because the battery is nonremovable, so if you run out, you can't just swap in a fresh one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004
Mostly short videos of my 15-25 min ride to work and back.

• Locked thread