Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Hello Best Anime 2015 thread,

you made me watch Shirobako these past few days.

I doubt anybody gives a poo poo, but I'd like to recast my vote to include Shirobako instead of Prison School. Sorry, Prison School.
Shirobako caused feels that were too powerful.

:qq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Torquemadras posted:

I doubt anybody gives a poo poo, but I'd like to recast my vote to include Shirobako instead of Prison School. Sorry, Prison School.

Good. Please edit your post accordingly. Shirobako shall be AOTY.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Torquemadras posted:

Torquemadras posted:

Oh boy, ranking time. :toot:

5. Prison School.
Love the manga, love the show. A really great prison break story with an entertainingly stupid premise, utterly unashamed of what it's trying to be. Also, I'm a sucker for comedy due to ASTOUNDINGLY stupid characters. :haw:

4. Owarimonogatari.
For me, the -monogatari shows pretty much succeed when they don't focus on garbage tier characters (of which there are too many, yeah). This season mostly did that, so good job! Ougi is fantastically creepy + manipulative, Kanbaru pretty much saves the second half of this season. Certainly doesn't come close to the unbeatable combination of Senjougahara + Kaiki, but I'll take it! I'm always amazed how great this show can be with nothing but talking.

3. Concrete Revolutio.
Didn't see this one coming. It's weird as hell, VERY political, almost Watchmen-like in its commentary, and pretty dang complex. The action isn't that great, but it has its moments. The true verdict comes when this show starts to resolve its conflicts - a lot could go wrong then. But for now, it's interesting, unusual, and strangely appealing!

2. JoJo Stardust Crusaders: Egypt Arc.
I'll be honest, I didn't like the first half of this show. Phantom Blood was okay and intriguing enough for me to continue; Battle Tendency was phenomenal; Stardust Crusaders was... hm. I didn't like the monster-of-the-week approach, and the action seemed to consist of nothing but stills with lip flaps added. If it weren't for the trademark JoJo weirdness, I would've dropped it pretty fast. It felt MUCH rougher around the edges than Battle Tendency.
Well, the second half was loving phenomenal, so all is forgiven! The villains are MUCH more interesting, on par with the great antagonists from earlier seasons, which also makes all the mid-battle talking that much greater. Hell, it pretty much becomes the point. Coupled with some pretty great action scenes (doubtlessly due to the iconic scenes they're in), it's great, tense, badass and totally weird. There's a couple animation issues later down the road, but eh. I'm basically a dinosaur, I only see motion anway. :v:

1. One Punch Man.
The moment this was announced, I knew there was no chance it wouldn't take first place in my personal list. It's funny and full of incredible action. One of the few anime shows I would recommend to non-anime viewers without hesitation.
And even though you'd think its main premise, a hero who's gotten so strong he always wins in one punch, would tire out very fast - it never does! And there's a great parody underneath: countless stereotypes get thrown against the unbeatable hero, only to get mercilessly exposed as the arrogant fuckups & idiots they are, because bullying through power just doesn't work with this guy. In the end, it's about what a hero really is. It's a loving parody of superhero action shows, and like all great parodies, an incredible superhero action show as well. And since I'm a sucker for good-looking action, this easily takes #1.
Plus, the opening theme is insanely stupid rock and it's great. I never skipped it.

...unfortunately, these are also the only five shows from 2015 I watched, so I couldn't even include any others if I had to :v: Guess I'll check out Shirobako, seeing how many put it in their top 5! Maybe Euphonium too? Dunno, I REALLY liked K-On, and Euphonium didn't seem nearly as whacky going by the first episode... Meh.

Get crackin', Torquemadras.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Good. Please edit your post accordingly. Shirobako shall be AOTY.

Torquemadras posted:

5.Honorable mention: Prison School.
(...)
2. Shirobako (shamelessly added in a later edit)
Holy poo poo it's good
I hadn't even seen this yet when making this post. Went through all of it in two days. It's educational, it's heartwarming, it's absurdly inspiring, and it's got this overpowering optimism that you just can't shake off. And honestly - THE FEELS WERE TOO STRONG. Episode 12 with the old animator's return seriously got me. Also, the finale with the insane Western showdown at the publisher's office and, of course, voice actress finally making her first step - "I'm one step closer to my dream now..." :qq: Yes you are, yes you really are...
This would easily be #1, but no-one's stronger than

1. One Punch Man.

Done. All glory to Shirobako.
I seriously can't think of anything wrong with this show. (...okay, new animator girl in the later half was annoying. Oh well.) It's not even a little bit spiteful, and even though the shows they're making look like run-of-the-mill standard fare (...are they? Still gotta check out the additional episodes), I've never been so invested in the fate of an, uh, anime's anime. May not beat One Punch Man for me personally, but oh well, ranking's meaningless in the top 5 anyway.

...my favorite character was Taro, because he's every annoying office dude you've ever known rolled into one, yet he grows on you :unsmith:

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!
#1 One-Punch Man

#2 SHIROBAKO

#3 Overlord

#4 Rokka: Braves of the Six Flowers

#5 Snow White with the Red Hair

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

1) Shirobako
2) Ore Monogatari!!
3) Hibike! Euphonium
4) One Punch Man
5) Maria the Virgin Witch

Other near top-5's:

Shimoneta
Prison School
JoJo Egypt Arc
Gatchaman CROWDS Insight
Gundam Reconguista in G

kinda regret dropping off on a bunch of shows this year, since they'd probably be good contenders/i'm seeing them on other posters' lists.

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!
#1 Shirobako
I had forgotten that Shirobako was this year, because all I remember is that it's been too long since Shirobako. Going into it I was afraid it would end up being a really boring show that just drowns the viewer in an experts wealth of knowledge about the industry, but it actually has some relate-able conflicts going on and mentions just enough about the actual processes involved to remain interesting.

And in no particular order:

One Punch Man
A loving parody that often manages to be a better fightmans than the material it makes fun of. Some good jokes and some pretty sweet animation too.

Ore Monogatari!!
Has an adorable couple and the best bro.

Snow White with the Red Hair
It was pretty chill.

Gatchaman Crowds Insight
Fun to watch and had some good music.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Determining my top five was way easier than bringing them into an order would be so here they are more or less ordered by how much I was looking forward to the next ep:

#5: Hibike! Euphonium (Sound! Euphonium) A good Kyoani show.
#4 Gundam Reconguista in G Weird. Fast-paced. Great.
#3: Gakkou Gurashi (School-Live) I wouldn't have expected to watch a cute school girl show with so much dread. It's also one of the few where I didn't skip the opening.
#2: Akagami no Shirayukihime (Snow White with the Red Hair) Sometimes you just want to watch a cool (and cute) girl getting together with a cute (and cool) guy.
#1: Shirobako. See basically all other posts.

Honourable mentions:
Arslan Senki (The Heroic Legend of Arslan): A sprawling epos, a bit too drawn out, but that's fantasy history for you.
Danna ga Nani wo Itteiru ka Wakaranai Ken s2: Not as cringe-inducing as S1 but cute.
Kekkai Sensen (Blood Blockade Battlefront): Super cool, but I think they could have removed most of the anime-original drama, and paced it a bit slower.
Rolling Girls: It's a pretty weird little anime and the side-characters tended to be cooler than the main characters, but it had heart.
Sore ga Seiyuu (Seiyu's Life): Do you want a drill down into the profession of that girl that was slipping into alcoholism and depression in Shirobako? Here's the anime for you.
Teekyuu s4+s5+s6: How do they manage to keep this up for so long? Oh, probably because the opening is longer than the episode, which is good because that's the perfect amount of insane jokes.
Wakakozake: Probably the best of the rest, and the one with the most impact on my daily life. :chef:

kickascii
Mar 30, 2010
1. One Punch Man
2. Fate Stay Night
3. Shirobako

I don't watch a whole lot of anime, but I always make sure to check in to the best-of thread to see what I might have missed on for the year. Shirobako is not an anime I would normally give a second glance to, but since so many goons said they'd like it, I decided to give it a chance. My eyes started rolling into the back of my head as soon as the high school girl main characters were introduced and I *almost* shut it off, but I'm really glad that I didn't. When Zuka stops the main character from introducing her to the bosses of the studio and then finally gets her role at the end, I got legit choked up.

I got some time off for the holidays so I went to check out one of the other popular choices, the Euphonium anime. :froggonk: Sorry, I can't do it, I'm allergic to this kind of stuff. And I even watched all of Haruhi. Maybe next year!

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

kickascii posted:

I don't watch a whole lot of anime, but I always make sure to check in to the best-of thread to see what I might have missed on for the year. Shirobako is not an anime I would normally give a second glance to, but since so many goons said they'd like it, I decided to give it a chance. My eyes started rolling into the back of my head as soon as the high school girl main characters were introduced and I *almost* shut it off, but I'm really glad that I didn't.

:same:

Julias fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Dec 26, 2015

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

kickascii posted:

I got some time off for the holidays so I went to check out one of the other popular choices, the Euphonium anime. :froggonk: Sorry, I can't do it, I'm allergic to this kind of stuff. And I even watched all of Haruhi. Maybe next year!

wait, what. what are you allergic to. i don't understand what you are saying

you could just say "i don't like this anime" instead

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

going by his dumb-rear end reaction to the part of shirobako where the protagonists are high schoolers for two minutes, he probably only watched two minutes of euphonium, and saw GIRLS so he turned it off

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Endorph posted:

going by his dumb-rear end reaction to the part of shirobako where the protagonists are high schoolers for two minutes, he probably only watched two minutes of euphonium, and saw GIRLS so he turned it off

To be fair, the beginning part with do-do-donuts almost turned me off of Shirobako, too.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

with that attitude i can't see him making it past Kumiko's daydream during health exams

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it didn't, for me, because my brain works and my parents loved me

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

The Colonel posted:

wait, what. what are you allergic to. i don't understand what you are saying

you could just say "i don't like this anime" instead

I think they're allergic to girly stuff, they almost shut off SB. While there's a lot of moe that's clearly a niche kind of thing, I think they probably would like a lot of it if given a chance considering they got through ShiroBako. It would be good for their soul get to over their prejudices.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Julias posted:

To be fair, the beginning part with do-do-donuts almost turned me off of Shirobako, too.

i dunno, it seems kinda cynical to swear off high school/high school girls in anime. i mean the Shirobako intro wasn't great because it was like...amateur anime production, and i'm glad it transcended to something more dramatic/heartwarming and with higher stakes. the doughnut chant is awesome though, as are doughnuts.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

dogsicle posted:

i dunno, it seems kinda cynical to swear off high school/high school girls in anime. i mean the Shirobako intro wasn't great because it was like...amateur anime production, and i'm glad it transcended to something more dramatic/heartwarming and with higher stakes. the doughnut chant is awesome though, as are doughnuts.

:same:

I'm gonna milk this :smilie: for all :30bux: it was worth.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

like 90% of good shows are made for girls

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Julias posted:

what the honest gently caress

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30mxBTpyLzw

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Davincie posted:

like 90% of good shows are made for girls

This is true.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

*show shows teenage girls happy, for two minutes*

'ugh... this is the worst... i hate this so much...'

kickascii
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, highschool-girl-centric anime is not my favorite genre. And without this thread I would have Nope'd right out of Shirobako after the do-do-donut cheer, but because of you goons, I stuck with it and ended up enjoying a wonderful series, so thanks!

BTW, the same thing happened in years past with Haruhi, Toradora, Madoka Magica, and Chihayafuru.

kickascii fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Dec 26, 2015

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it seems like you actually do like highschool girl centric anime, then.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

The moment Shirobako won me over was that smash cut from happy highschool amateur animation times to Aoi sitting in the car, staring at traffic lights tired as gently caress

And then car drifting

:cool:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Torquemadras posted:

The moment Shirobako won me over was that smash cut from happy highschool amateur animation times to Aoi sitting in the car, staring at traffic lights tired as gently caress

It was kind of a shame it didn't do more stuff like that but that smash cut was loving fantastic, yeah. I am glad Shirobako didn't end up all cynical, though.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

kickascii posted:

Yeah, highschool-girl-centric anime is not my favorite genre. And without this thread I would have Nope'd right out of Shirobako after the do-do-donut cheer, but because of you goons, I stuck with it and ended up enjoying a wonderful series, so thanks!

BTW, the same thing happened in years past with Haruhi, Toradora, Madoka Magica, and Chihayafuru.

lol, "the protagonist is a girl" isn't a genre

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

kickascii posted:

Haruhi, Toradora, Madoka Magica, and Chihayafuru.
When I think of shows that belong to the same genre I think of these four shows

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Lemon Curdistan posted:

It was kind of a shame it didn't do more stuff like that but that smash cut was loving fantastic, yeah. I am glad Shirobako didn't end up all cynical, though.

I think I read it somewhere in the resident Shirobako thread: "Shirobako is made by idealists trying to be realistic". Sounds true. They're not exactly sugarcoating it, especially when it comes to the damage a lack of professionalism can do, but the show is never bitter. I really liked that hopeful realism, or whatever you want to call it. Can't help but be swept up in it, very soothing. Go do your dumb doughnut anime pose, you've earned it. :unsmith:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Motto posted:

lol, "the protagonist is a girl" isn't a genre

Nope. But moe-centric poo poo is...well, poo poo.

There, I said it. :colbert:

I probably wouldn't have given Madoka a second thought if episode 3 didn't end the way it did. And I probably wouldn't have gotten past the first episode of Shirobako if it was just K-On! with anime instead of music.

K-On! failed the 3 episode test for me.

You may now bask in your hatred of me. :unsmigghh:

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
The 3 episode test is fail.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
is this just going to be another argument over whether or not moe anime is inherently bad

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Dec 27, 2015

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

it was going fine until everyone jumped down that guys throat for daring to not like a popular anime

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I think it's fine deciding you don't like something enough to keep watching after a few episodes, but not liking K-On should be a crime, IMO.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I think it's fine deciding you don't like something enough to keep watching after a few episodes, but not liking K-On should be a crime, IMO.

I don't care for K-On.

I don't hate it, but there isn't anything I like about it either.

It's just sorta there.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Admoon posted:

it was going fine until everyone jumped down that guys throat for daring to not like a popular anime

i mean, if his reason was presented as something other than "i quit watching the show because it was about high school girls," i'd agree. but in general that's a weirdly cynical stance to take, especially when Eupho isn't actually some sort of pandering moe thing.

but i think that thread of discussion has gone as far as it can.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

guys guys guys guys guys guys guys guys guys guys guys guys guys guys guys guys guys guys guys guys guys guys guys guys

AIDS

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Admoon posted:

that isnt the problem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

What exactly is the problem then? Seems like he doesn't want to watch shows about high school girls. Not enjoying the subject matter is like the most inoffensive reason

• Locked thread