Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
just let players spend a healing surge to recover a daily between encounters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

That's an awful idea. Dailies are infinitely more valuable than a healing surge.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Wasn't there an item that let you convert surges into dailies that got nerfed super hard in errata?

EDIT: Yep. Salve of Power. Now it just restores encounter powers because it turns out "Form of Winter's Herald every single encounter" is a little bit much maybe?

The Crotch fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Dec 22, 2015

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
We'll, AP or whatever. I just think combat resources need to be balanced around encounters and not some nebulous 'day'

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

starkebn posted:

We'll, AP or whatever. I just think combat resources need to be balanced around encounters and not some nebulous 'day'

Likewise. I should be able to run a single-encounter "adventuring day" without having to worry that the encounter will be horrendously swingy as the players drop all their once-per-day abilities on it.

Strike doesn't use daily powers (though there are a few things like action points and injuries that carry over from encounter to encounter) and I think it's a better game for it. I don't think there's an easy fix for this problem in 4e, though - you'd have to completely rip the guts out of the game to remove daily powers from it.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Gort posted:

Likewise. I should be able to run a single-encounter "adventuring day" without having to worry that the encounter will be horrendously swingy as the players drop all their once-per-day abilities on it.

Strike doesn't use daily powers (though there are a few things like action points and injuries that carry over from encounter to encounter) and I think it's a better game for it. I don't think there's an easy fix for this problem in 4e, though - you'd have to completely rip the guts out of the game to remove daily powers from it.

You can, you just have to do it in waves.

(I agree though, that daily powers aren't particularly good)

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Really Pants posted:

Does XCOM count? :v:

Did anyone ever write up an Enemy Within/Unknown 4e conversion? I've been sorely tempted the last few days....

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Prison Warden posted:

Did anyone ever write up an Enemy Within/Unknown 4e conversion? I've been sorely tempted the last few days....

In that 4e hack contest thread Covok did way back when, there was an XCOM esque entry called Erebus. Was the best one of the bunch, too.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
This isn't for any game in particular, but I tried making a character and their sheet from scratch and I wanted to ask if anyone could go over it, if I'm missing something to capture the whole character, or if I made an especially boneheaded choice in allocating stats and race, selecting powers and feats, that sort of thing.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Pretty weak, due to some bad feat/build choices. The race and presence are okay, though; neither is optimal, but it will be perfectly playable at any but the most hardcore of tables.

I would do something more like this:

quote:

Longtooth Shifter, Warlord
Archer Warlord Optional Choice: Standard Warlord Armor Features
Warlord: Battlefront Leader
Commanding Presence: Skirmishing Presence
Background: Occupation - Military (+2 to Athletics)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 18, Con 10, Dex 8, Int 11, Wis 18, Cha 13.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 16, Con 10, Dex 8, Int 11, Wis 16, Cha 13.

AC: 17 Fort: 16 Reflex: 12 Will: 16
HP: 22 Surges: 7 Surge Value: 5

TRAINED SKILLS
History +5, Diplomacy +6, Athletics +12, Heal +9

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics -2, Arcana, Bluff +1, Dungeoneering +4, Endurance +1, Insight +4,
Intimidate +1, Nature +4, Perception +4, Religion, Stealth -2, Streetwise +1, Thievery -2

FEATS
Feat User Choice: Spear Expertise
Feat User Choice: Improved Defenses
Level 1: Battlewise

POWERS
Warlord at-will 1: Paint the Bulls-Eye
Warlord at-will 1: Direct the Strike
Warlord encounter 1: Race the Arrow
Warlord daily 1: Lamb to the Slaughter

ITEMS
Chainmail, Javelin, Light Shield

This build keeps the race and presence for flavor reasons and changes a few things. It takes Battlefront Leader instead of Combat Leader so it can use Armored Warlord to increase its AC, because it's not int-primary. It also switches out the bow for javelin so that it can also use melee powers, because Warlord has a lot of very strong melee options and a throwing weapon lets you switch between them.

This is how it would look at L5:

quote:

evel 5
Longtooth Shifter, Warlord
Archer Warlord Optional Choice: Standard Warlord Armor Features
Warlord: Battlefront Leader
Background: Occupation - Military (+2 to Athletics)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 19, Con 10, Dex 8, Int 11, Wis 19, Cha 13.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 16, Con 10, Dex 8, Int 11, Wis 16, Cha 13.

AC: 20 Fort: 20 Reflex: 15 Will: 20
HP: 42 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 10

TRAINED SKILLS
History +7, Diplomacy +8, Athletics +15, Heal +11

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +1, Arcana +2, Bluff +3, Dungeoneering +6, Endurance +5, Insight +6, Intimidate +3,
Nature +6, Perception +6, Religion +2, Stealth +1, Streetwise +3, Thievery +1

FEATS
Feat User Choice: Spear Expertise
Feat User Choice: Improved Defenses
Level 1: Battlewise
Level 2: Armored Warlord
Level 4: Weapon Proficiency (Greatspear)

POWERS
Warlord at-will 1: Direct the Strike
Warlord utility 2: Knight's Move
Warlord encounter 3: Vengeance is Mine
Warlord daily 5: Stand the Fallen

ITEMS
Dwarven Scale Armor +1, Hungry Spear Greatspear +2, Amulet of Protection +2

Same general principles apply. The big difference here is that the Greatspear is a 1d10 reach weapon with a +3 proficiency, and Hungry Spear makes it into a 10/20 Heavy Thrown weapon. So you can throw the spear a pretty long ways or you can stand in melee or you can attack over an ally's shoulder. Very strong weapon and very flavorful for a Skirmisher type.

And this is a more optimized skirmisher warlord that I actually played in a game, if you want to see how an int-based build would look.

quote:

Level 8
Genasi, Warlord
Archer Warlord Optional Choice: Archer Warlord
Warlord: Combat Leader
Elemental Manifestation: Voidsoul

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 20, Con 12, Dex 10, Int 20, Wis 8, Cha 12.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 16, Con 12, Dex 10, Int 16, Wis 8, Cha 12.

AC: 26 Fort: 22 Reflex: 22 Will: 19
HP: 59 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 15

TRAINED SKILLS
Diplomacy +10, Intimidate +10, Athletics +13, History +14, Arcana +14

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +4, Bluff +5, Dungeoneering +3, Endurance +6, Heal +3, Insight +3, Nature +5,
Perception +3, Religion +9, Stealth +3, Streetwise +5, Thievery +3

FEATS
Feat User Choice: Polearm Expertise
Feat User Choice: Weapon Focus (Spear)

Level 1: Weapon Proficiency (Greatspear)
Level 2: Hafted Defense
Level 4: Expert Combat Leader
Level 6: Improved Skirmishing
Level 8: Armor Proficiency: Ring Mail

POWERS
Warlord at-will 1: Commander's Strike
Warlord utility 2: Shake It Off
Warlord encounter 3: Vengeance is Mine
Warlord daily 5: Stand the Fallen
Warlord utility 6: Reorient the Axis
Warlord encounter 7: On My Mark

ITEMS
Elven Chain Shirt (heroic tier), Hungry Spear Greatspear +2, Tactician's Ring Mail +2, Steadfast Amulet +2

Everybody else: Sorry for the big spammy post about skirmish warlords. :(

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Khizan posted:

It's counterintuitive, but the first fight of the adventuring day will often be the hardest fight of the adventuring day, and the last fight will often be the easiest; this is because of how people view their limited resources. First fight of the day, nobody wants to blow their dailies until they're in big trouble, and by the time they're in big trouble they'll often go "the fight is half over anyways, if I use a daily now I'll just waste it". Last fight of the day, everybody knows they'll get their dailies back immediately so they'll unload them without hesitation and that wraps a fight up very quickly.

If you know your players, you can do a few things to gently caress with 'em, though. Some players bring a definite "Save the big guns for the boss" mentality to the table. Present them with an Obvious Boss Encounter and these people will drop the hammer, so you just make the boss encounter fall early in the adventuring day and these guys will blow their dailies immediately. You can't pull this fake all the time, but you can definitely sucker them with it at least once. Some players just absolutely despise any use of limited resources at all. If you just keep making it look like there's more encounters on the way, these players will sit on their dailies until hell freezes over because what if I need them for the next fight.

The game works better when you lay a ground rule like "you get 4/5/6 rests before your day turns over" (adjust by tier). That way players can play tactically and not worry if you're trying to metagame them to death with adversarial DMing. In turn, you can focus on worthwhile encounters that stick to the rules instead of torturing players with tomato can fights in a system where any combat is time-consuming and really only fun if it's challenging. Spoiler alert: You're the DM, you always have the power to kill or "fool" the players by withholding information that they could not otherwise know. Making them pace their resource usage based on known risk is just as challenging and more fair than metagame pranks.

This is better than exploiting the shittiness of the "adventuring day" sacred cow.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Khizan posted:

Pretty weak, due to some bad feat/build choices. The race and presence are okay, though; neither is optimal, but it will be perfectly playable at any but the most hardcore of tables.

I would do something more like this:

This build keeps the race and presence for flavor reasons and changes a few things. It takes Battlefront Leader instead of Combat Leader so it can use Armored Warlord to increase its AC, because it's not int-primary. It also switches out the bow for javelin so that it can also use melee powers, because Warlord has a lot of very strong melee options and a throwing weapon lets you switch between them.

Thanks for the advice! I went over it another time. I did find that I had omitted a place for Background and Themes on top of everything else.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

The game works better when you lay a ground rule like "you get 4/5/6 rests before your day turns over" (adjust by tier).
I agree. I also like the additional stipulation of "you can rest after 3 encounters, but things will move on behind the scenes, and something's gonna turn out bad". Or the reverse "if you manage to go 5, the plot gives you some breathing space".

Right now I'm setting up a thing where the party is being targetted by mental assassins through their dreams. I was thinking of having the first combat after each extended rest be a dreamworld encounter, so in the "waking world", they can effectively go only three encounters before needing to rest, until they find those assassins and show them who's boss. (Mostly it's a method for me to use monsters and encounter gimmicks that don't have a place in the main storyline.) But I also had an idea about benevolent spirits showing the party an important legend in their dreams, where each extended rest would mean revealing one important point in the legend, again through a combat encounter, but tracking resources for the parallel dreamworld adventure separately.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'll grant that I haven't been DMing for very long, but I've never actually had a situation where the players have wanted to take an Extended Rest yet.

Maybe I'm just really lowballing my encounters, but the Slaying Stone oneshot I ran went for 5 encounters straight without a rest, and the current Shadowfell Keep campaign I'm running has also seen the party go for 5 fights and the party's still going strong.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Uh, so I was going to make a 4th edition character, but now that the online character builder is no longer available for new folks, what's the best option? I see people referencing the old offline builder, but I at least can't find any easy guides on how to get it up to speed with the newer stuff. Are there other options?

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Cynic Jester posted:

Uh, so I was going to make a 4th edition character, but now that the online character builder is no longer available for new folks, what's the best option? I see people referencing the old offline builder, but I at least can't find any easy guides on how to get it up to speed with the newer stuff. Are there other options?

CBLoader is what people use to update the offline builder. You'll then need to track down a set of .part files to use with it.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

The game works better when you lay a ground rule like "you get 4/5/6 rests before your day turns over" (adjust by tier). That way players can play tactically and not worry if you're trying to metagame them to death with adversarial DMing.

This was something I toyed with mechanically when I was homebrewing a system largely inspired by 4e. Basically I expressly made Short Rests into a resource with a daily cap per character (based on an ability mod, essentially.)

So say, your character gets between 3 and 5 short rests per day; as per usual, when you use one, you get to refill your HP and you recover encounter powers. Then, when you're out of short rests, you have to take an extended rest to regain them and continue adventuring.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

My Lovely Horse posted:

I agree. I also like the additional stipulation of "you can rest after 3 encounters, but things will move on behind the scenes, and something's gonna turn out bad". Or the reverse "if you manage to go 5, the plot gives you some breathing space".

One of my DMs did exactly this. Basically if we went less than 5 without there being some clean obvious break, the bad guys steal a march on us somehow. And of course, he told us straight up about that, so it wasn't adversarial or anything.

ArkInBlack
Mar 22, 2013
Question about the Sidhe Lord theme, specifically Summon Sidhe Ally. The power has "The guard lasts until it drops below 1 hit point, at which point you lose a healing surge (or hit points equal to your surge value if you have no surges left). Otherwise the guard lasts until you dismiss it as a minor action or until you use this power again." Does this mean the Summoned Sidhe Ally doesn't leave at the end of the encounter like summons generically do?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

ArkInBlack posted:

Question about the Sidhe Lord theme, specifically Summon Sidhe Ally. The power has "The guard lasts until it drops below 1 hit point, at which point you lose a healing surge (or hit points equal to your surge value if you have no surges left). Otherwise the guard lasts until you dismiss it as a minor action or until you use this power again." Does this mean the Summoned Sidhe Ally doesn't leave at the end of the encounter like summons generically do?

Correct. The common tactic to use with that power (if at all) is to summon it at the end of the previous day, then when it dies you can summon it again.

But really, the best thing to do with it is not to bother summoning it at all. It dies to a stiff breeze as it has only a surge of HP, and usually does so to a burst or blast so it can't dive in front of an attack to protect you. I only really ever used it on my summoner Shaman|Cleric, and then only really as a proc for Tome Expertise CA. Its movement power is nice, but the cost in surges when it inevitably, ignominiously dies is too high.

You take Sidhe Lord for one thing and one thing only - Sidhe Bargain.

ArkInBlack
Mar 22, 2013

thespaceinvader posted:

Correct. The common tactic to use with that power (if at all) is to summon it at the end of the previous day, then when it dies you can summon it again.

But really, the best thing to do with it is not to bother summoning it at all. It dies to a stiff breeze as it has only a surge of HP, and usually does so to a burst or blast so it can't dive in front of an attack to protect you. I only really ever used it on my summoner Shaman|Cleric, and then only really as a proc for Tome Expertise CA. Its movement power is nice, but the cost in surges when it inevitably, ignominiously dies is too high.

You take Sidhe Lord for one thing and one thing only - Sidhe Bargain.

It does mean Embroidered Beast's benefit lasts until it dies so it can attack without having to spend actions, which is something.

ArkInBlack fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Dec 27, 2015

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
What's the half-orc feat where you can use your STR mod for Intimidate? And what article is it in?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Dragon Magazine 386, page 59

quote:

Strong-Arm Tactics
Heroic Tier Feat
Prerequisite: Half-orc
Benefit: You gain a +2 feat bonus to Intimidate checks and you can use your Strength modifier in place of your Charisma modifier for Intimidate checks.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Trying to work out an encounter idea. The enemies are minotaurs, so of course it's gonna take place in a maze. The gimmick I thought of is that the maze itself changes as the fight goes on, but I'm not sure how to make that work with the actual combat map. I usually use Masterplan and I thought of a map made of a few overlays, but it seems like shuffling them and all the tokens around mid-battle would be fiddly and time-consuming. At the same time, I don't really want to make a paper map. In theory I could just slide around the map parts with tokens on them, in practice I'm sure something's gonna fall apart, and anyway I need the Masterplan integration.

One idea I had was using a Labyrinth game board, but then it's just gonna be boring fixed width corridors.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
For a physical setup, here's an idea -

Print out between 5 and 10 alternate maze configurations. Put all of them in a stack, and put a (heavy, if possible) sheet of clear plastic on top. The figures all go on the clear plastic. Whenever you want the maze to change configuration (maybe roll initiative for the "maze change" step?) have somebody hold onto the plastic sheet so it stays in place, and slide out the top maze configuration to reveal the one beneath it.

Might be a bit fiddly, but I think it would work.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

To go one further, you could, with a sheet of plexiglass layered over another board, create a dry-erasable and transparent, layer to place minis on, which you can then slot maps in and out of. Using this with a set of rules seems to me to be the quickest way to do this during play.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Since I asked many questions relating to making him in this thread, I'd like to give a R.I.P. to the recently-deceased Alexei the ten-foot-tall 1300-pound crocodile man Slayer, dead from immolation at level 2. The stupidest character I've ever played as, and the first character that has ever died in our group. Praise the Raven Queen.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Plexiglass 10'' x 13'' + Toilet paper tube cut up so that it's not touching the paper, switch out pre-printed mazes every few rounds.

it's :10bux: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...2JP1VQGHF0782Z8

Bonus, attatch a little stand afterwards, and now you have a 3d thing for flying creatures!

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

My Lovely Horse posted:

One idea I had was using a Labyrinth game board, but then it's just gonna be boring fixed width corridors.

Oh man I've wanted to do a D&D/Labyrinth mashup for the longest time, I just can never think of a fun/interesting tie-in.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Turtlicious posted:

Plexiglass 10'' x 13'' + Toilet paper tube cut up so that it's not touching the paper, switch out pre-printed mazes every few rounds.

it's :10bux: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...2JP1VQGHF0782Z8

Bonus, attatch a little stand afterwards, and now you have a 3d thing for flying creatures!

:yeah:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

P.d0t posted:

Oh man I've wanted to do a D&D/Labyrinth mashup for the longest time, I just can never think of a fun/interesting tie-in.
I know, right? This is the best chance I'm gonna get, but look at the board. At best, I can make each card a 3x3 zone, and single-wide corridors just aren't much fun. (But for a different tie-in idea: assign a challenge to each of the icons, and the party has to do X challenges to solve the dungeon. Some are benevolent, some malicious, some are feuding with others so if you helped one you can expect the other to hate you. Combat challenges happen on the labyrinth map as it is then.)

The plexiglass thing is clever, but if the tokens stay in place and the map changes, someone's bound to end up inside a wall. Unless the walls are thin and run along the gridlines... hmmm. Hang on, if I do it this way, it totally works in Masterplan. Make some maze configurations, save them as map overlays, switch overlays every round from underneath the tokens, and that way the changes are even less randomized and more crafted to the experience.

How about Dungoneering checks to "predict" when the next shift occurs? Easy DC, make an initiative roll for the shift. Medium, add or subtract up to 5 from the roll. Hard, just tell me when. Something like it.

Here's something else I found: https://mindweaverpg.wordpress.com/the-rotating-labyrinth-building-and-running-your-own/

That right there is much too complicated but a physical map board with a (square) section or two that rotates might work. I wish Masterplan could rotate overlays (but again, I could make some and save each orientation as a different overlay... yeah, I think I at least have a promising approach to this thing now).

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
So now that D&D Insider is actually dead, does anyone know the exact features of the Sensate theme?

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

alcharagia posted:

So now that D&D Insider is actually dead, does anyone know the exact features of the Sensate theme?

Level 1: Whenever you use an encounter attack power or daily attack power, you gain THP equal to half your level.

Level 5: +2 Power bonus to Endurance checks and Perception checks.

Level 10: While you have THP, you gain a +3 Power bonus to all skill checks.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
That's pretty beast ngl

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

alcharagia posted:

That's pretty beast ngl

There are way better themes. Off the top of my head, any melee striker that doesn't have a minor action attack should pick up Sohei. Ironwrought is a good defender theme, fey beast master is a pet perk done right, and red wizard is a controller mage's wet dream.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Drewjitsu posted:

There are way better themes. Off the top of my head, any melee striker that doesn't have a minor action attack should pick up Sohei. Ironwrought is a good defender theme, fey beast master is a pet perk done right, and red wizard is a controller mage's wet dream.

Let me rephrase: That's pretty beast because next session for my group I'm busting out a rebreather

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Sensate is great for characters that make good use of temp HP (rebreathers are the (mostly bullshit) easy point to here, but plenty of other characters like a lot of warlocks damage themselves often too), but is also great for skill-heavy characters, as it's real easy to get temp HP between fights.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Does Dragon Soul (DOKKAN DOKKAN) ignore the resistance of Nusemnee's Atonement and a character's Robes of Resist [Element?] My GM and I are attempting to work out whether my character's dragon breath ignores 5 resistance and I resist 10 or ignores 15 resistance and I resist 0.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Drewjitsu posted:

There are way better themes. Off the top of my head, any melee striker that doesn't have a minor action attack should pick up Sohei.

No offense, but we can certainly trust TG 4E posters to roll the same poo poo over and over again on their characters, I guess. Next you're going to tell me about this cool frostcheese trick.

Not to say rebreather isn't abusive as hell at this point, though. It's generally as bad as the disconnected design issues of 3E.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

alcharagia posted:

Does Dragon Soul (DOKKAN DOKKAN) ignore the resistance of Nusemnee's Atonement and a character's Robes of Resist [Element?] My GM and I are attempting to work out whether my character's dragon breath ignores 5 resistance and I resist 10 or ignores 15 resistance and I resist 0.

You don't ignore Nusemnee's, it's not a typed resistance. Also resistances of different types also don't stack like that anyway; Resist All 5 and Resist Fire 10 wouldn't reduce the damage from a fire attack by 15, just 10.