Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
I know it won't happen but if he announced a Trump/Trump ticket in the midst of the election that decides the fate of the Bush and Clinton dynasties, then I think we all have to vote for him out of sheer respect for his chutzpah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Are there really 12 women alleging Bill Clinton raped them? I thought it was just like one or two.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I'm laughing my loving rear end off at everyone in this thread who actually believes that Bill's dick is actually going to be a defining issue in the 2016 election.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I don't think the Republicans are going to be able to make much political hay out of these Bill-related allegations because they would boomerang on them.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

The Kingfish posted:

They are distinct qualities and a good leader needs to have both.

Why does a leader need good character? Note: this argument comes from a professor of mine who made the claim that character is irrelevant to a presidential candidate's competency, which I initially balked at. But for lack of better things to discuss, let's break it down.

If a candidate has clear policy positions, the competency to see those policies through to the best abilities of the office, and the judgment to know what to do when unexpected events occur during her term, then why does she need character? What does character add to the mix?

Yeah, I'd like to vote for someone who has good character, too, but should we make that a significant factor in our decision-making?

Sai
Sep 20, 2004

Jewel Repetition posted:

Are there really 12 women alleging Bill Clinton raped them? I thought it was just like one or two.
It's not all rapes but if you just take all allegations of sexual misconduct it's more than twelve and some are def rape.

Sai
Sep 20, 2004

maybe hillary can do obamas speech after the jeremiah wright tapes but instead of race do it about rape

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Sai posted:

maybe hillary can do obamas speech after the jeremiah wright tapes but instead of race do it about rape

That speech is a treasure.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

god gently caress america

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

Jewel Repetition posted:

Kathleen Willey
Carolyn Moffet
Juanita Broaddrick
Eileen Wellstone
Sandra Allen
Christy Zercher
Elizabeth Ward
Paula Corbin
Paula Jones
Sandra Allen James
Christy Zercher

That's 11 that we know of.

radical meme posted:

I'm laughing my loving rear end off at everyone in this thread who actually believes that Bill's dick is actually going to be a defining issue in the 2016 election.

Sexual assault is really funny!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

blue squares posted:

If a candidate has clear policy positions, the competency to see those policies through to the best abilities of the office, and the judgment to know what to do when unexpected events occur during her term, then why does she need character? What does character add to the mix?

Yeah, I'd like to vote for someone who has good character, too, but should we make that a significant factor in our decision-making?
I think it depends what you mean by good character. On the one hand there are traits like "does not actively steal or rob," "is not actually an active agent of a foreign power," etc. None of these really apply to Hillary, who I think even if looked at cynically, is not cashing in harder than other Democrats. Indeed, the Democrats in general can be argued to be somewhat cleaner than the Republicans, totally independently of their policies, just because there is little or no "wingnut welfare" giving Democrats incentive to say crazy poo poo in order to push out hateful books.

There are also questions of energy, enthusiasm, dedication and so forth. Not so much Trump's "low energy" poo poo as "Will this person actually fight for things and make political efforts, instead of just warming the seat?" I think this is the big root of disappointment from Democrats for Obama; he came off significantly more fiery than he actually is. Similarly, Bernie Sanders definitely comes off as super passionate, even if you might question how effective he would be at pushing his policies. A historical bad example here is Buchanan, who could have probably either averted the Civil War or put the Union in a better position to win it, but had no real desire to do so.

Thirdly: Do they more or less mean what they say? This is probably where Hillary is weak in a sense. Strangely enough it is actually where Trump is weakest, because he's said all kinds of garbage to the point where people who were attracted to his style and bluster can point to various policy pronouncements he's made and say "Look, he'll do what I hope!" By contrast, we can take most of the Republicans at their word, but what they are claiming to do is generally awful.

Finally, do they look like me and does their behavior flatter my social, cultural, economic and political preconceptions? If so, they are "characterful," even if they are literal maniacs. Look at all the people who keep hollering about how politicians just all need to shut up and work together and so on, independently of any actual policy they would be furthering.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

radical meme posted:

I do believe that Hillary made 'schlongs' an issue in this campaign and opened up that can of words alreasy.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I looked it up and, like I thought, there was only one woman who claimed Bill Clinton raped her, but she also swore under oath that he didn't. Their affair happened while she was married, and shortly before she had a different affair. So... I'm not personally convinced Bill Clinton is a rapist.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Montasque posted:

There will be a certain dark ironic comedy in Fox News and the Republican Party discovering with great concern the question of workplace sexual harassment/assault for exactly and specifically as long as it takes them to yell at Bill Clinton, and by extension, his wife.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Montasque posted:

Kathleen Willey
Carolyn Moffet
Juanita Broaddrick
Eileen Wellstone
Sandra Allen
Christy Zercher
Elizabeth Ward
Paula Corbin
Paula Jones
Sandra Allen James
Christy Zercher

That's 11 that we know of.

You forgot Monica Lewinsky.

When a man in a position of power such as POTUS makes sexual advances on an office intern, you cannot tell me that wasn't sexual assault.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

memy posted:

This is the only candidate who managed to surpass trump nationwide and he's running a fake campaign

We live in the silliest timeline

I actually won a spot on the board of my local housing authority by running a fake campaign on Facebook. People are stupid.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Nessus posted:

There will be a certain dark ironic comedy in Fox News and the Republican Party discovering with great concern the question of workplace sexual harassment/assault for exactly and specifically as long as it takes them to yell at Bill Clinton, and by extension, his wife.

If there's one man I trust to speak with authority on workplace sexual harassment and assaults, its FoxNews contributor and host Bill O'Reiley.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I'm excited for Clinton's schlong to result in the Trump schlonging of Clinton.

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

How many of those 12 claim rape? Only 1?

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

blue squares posted:

Why does a leader need good character? Note: this argument comes from a professor of mine who made the claim that character is irrelevant to a presidential candidate's competency, which I initially balked at. But for lack of better things to discuss, let's break it down.

Character is important because policy positions that a President campaigns on might not be the policies that they pursue- if they don't have character. Additionally, the President will be called on to act spontaneously and secretly; only a person of good character can be trusted to do what is right when they aren't playing political theater.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Sancho posted:

How many women did JFK rape?

The Democratic party has a history of issues with male national candidates acting inappropriately towards women.

The Republican party does not have nearly as much an issue; their politicians have a tendancy to engage in inappropriate sexual conduct with underaged boys, not women.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
pretty funny that people expect attacks that didn't work for like 8 years straight in the 90s to magically work this time

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

fishmech posted:

pretty funny that people expect attacks that didn't work for like 8 years straight in the 90s to magically work this time

despite what you may hear in Portland, America does not live with the culture of the 90s. We have moved beyond, and are willing to accept that we have issues with sexual power dynamics.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Don't bust your nut yet guys. Wait for the FOX expose on Women Bill Fondled followed by the WND Wowen Schlonged by Bill swimsuit issue.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

The Kingfish posted:

Additionally, the President will be called on to act spontaneously and secretly; only a person of good character can be trusted to do what is right when they aren't playing political theater.

But "what is right" is too subjective to be evaluated based on some loose definition of what good character is. In secret acts that are independent of political theater, we can expect a person to act generally along with the principles that have guided their past political actions (e.g., how they have voted in Congress, acts taken as a Cabinet member). So it has nothing to do with character, because everyone acts in the way they think is right (at least if you agree with Plato/Socrates's statement that any time a person does a thing, the person believes that to be the right thing, which I do*), character doesn't play into it. Rather, we should vote for someone whose principles reflect our own, so that in unexpected situations, that person will do as we would do.

*Plato says that if a person does an action, the person believes that action to be the right one, at least for them in that particular moment. A person cannot behave in a way that the person thinks is wrong, because if the person believed it was wrong, the person would not do that thing. A person may do an action that they think they believe is wrong, but some essential part of them, subconsciously, believes it is the right thing to do.

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

radical meme posted:

it had to happen sometime

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

Worked on Cosby in 2015.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Over 80% of the electorate have a favorable position towards Bills dick.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Evil Fluffy posted:

I wonder how many people unironically defend the Clintons and Bill's sexual assault history while screaming for Cosby's blood.

Many, it would seem, judging by the posts made since this one.

The way people and the country respond to questions of sexual misconduct have changed a great deal since Bill Clinton was in office. If the issue does come up, he absolutely should face the same scrutiny that Cosby has.

But yeah, the default response is going to be like:

quote:

there's such a political cloud around the Clintons that it just seems really hard to say what's really going on

Because when the guy facing the accusations is on your team; who knows for sure what happened? These 11 people are totally likely to have made it all up about a guy who was demonstrably abusing his position and power to screw interns.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

Sancho posted:

Eileen Wellstone, Juanita Broaddrick, and Elizabeth Ward have accused Bill of rape.

The rest are either gropings or Clinton pulling out his schlong and demanding oral.

wid
Sep 7, 2005
Living in paradise (only bombed once)

Sancho posted:

Worked on Cosby in 2015.

Cosby is black.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Y'all are talking way more like this is revenge for Bill Cosby than anything actually related to women's rights or the presidential election

Lake Jucas
Feb 20, 2011

WHAT OF OUR BARGAIN?
The sexual assault allegations will be a non-issue. Anyone who would put stock in them is already voting against Hilary. Besides, the GOP this cycle seems particularly bad at dredging up scandals. Every candidate that has risen and then fallen hasn't been felled to skeletons in their closet but rather by the idiotic things that have come out of their mouth. If the GOP hasn't been able to come up with a scandal to knock out Donald Trump, who in a presidential debate implied he's bribes politicians before, they won't manage it for Hilary. The GOP has been trying to get something that will stick against them for 20+ years, what makes you think they'd suddenly get lucky now?

Besides, it's not like the Clinton campaign isn't ready for something like this. If Hilary actually thought Bill's indiscretions were a threat to her political ambitions she would have divorced him back in her days as a Senator.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Nessus posted:

Y'all are talking way more like this is revenge for Bill Cosby than anything actually related to women's rights or the presidential election

Or, you know, it's just people being consistent about believing victims of sexual assault.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Lake Jucas posted:

If Hilary actually thought Bill's indiscretions were a threat to her political ambitions she would have divorced him back in her days as a Senator.

There's the possibility that a divorce would also have made her seem like damaged goods, who backstabbed her husband when he needed her most.

Sai
Sep 20, 2004

Lake Jucas posted:

The sexual assault allegations will be a non-issue. Anyone who would put stock in them is already voting against Hilary. Besides, the GOP this cycle seems particularly bad at dredging up scandals. Every candidate that has risen and then fallen hasn't been felled to skeletons in their closet but rather by the idiotic things that have come out of their mouth. If the GOP hasn't been able to come up with a scandal to knock out Donald Trump, who in a presidential debate implied he's bribes politicians before, they won't manage it for Hilary. The GOP has been trying to get something that will stick against them for 20+ years, what makes you think they'd suddenly get lucky now?

Besides, it's not like the Clinton campaign isn't ready for something like this. If Hilary actually thought Bill's indiscretions were a threat to her political ambitions she would have divorced him back in her days as a Senator.
lol if you dont think the discourse around rape has changed since the 90s

im european so i wont but id vote for hillary over any republican but it makes me like her even less that her husband raped (personal guesstimate:) 2.31 women

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

etalian posted:

There's the possibility that a divorce would also have made her seem like damaged goods, who backstabbed her husband when he needed her most.

yeah come on if you don't think staying married wasn't a political move

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Powercrazy posted:

I'm excited for Clinton's schlong to result in the Trump schlonging of Clinton.

You may be waiting a while, friend!

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Montasque posted:

Eileen Wellstone, Juanita Broaddrick, and Elizabeth Ward have accused Bill of rape.

The rest are either gropings or Clinton pulling out his schlong and demanding oral.

Elizabeth Ward didn't accuse him of rape, she specifically said he didn't rape her after other people said he did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

InsanityIsCrazy posted:

it had to happen sometime

after he's dead

• Locked thread