Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Chickenwalker posted:

I think I'm kinda done with the game. The wait between the expansion and the subsequent chapters has been too long and I feel like they're probably not going to have much substance to them because they have to keep milking this thing.

I saw someone post somewhere what I think is perfect. There is no better time for new players to get into this game, there's a ton of story content that will last you for a long time and the KOTFE storyline is really good so far.

However, there really hasn't been a worse time for long time players in a while. There's not a ton of motivation to raid - Story Mode raiding means gear doesn't matter, so it's relatively easy to gear up to Hard Mode level. But with Nightmare Mode not dropping 224 gear, the only reason to do NiM is to get achievements and decorations. And while it's cool that EV and KP are significant again, the fact that you can get almost every 220 piece running the HM version of those makes it tough to get people to commit to running something harder unless they want a challenge or achievements (which is why I want to run harder content.)

Game is in a weird place right now. They really need to announce some of their multiplayer plans soon. Even if it's just "We are hoping to have a new warzone in August" or "A new raid will be ready in September". Something to give a breadcrumb for those people who have all the alts they want and are a bit tired of the commendation grind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I can very easily see why veteran players are getting a bit fed up with the state of the game. For a new player like me though, this game is outstanding. Doubly so for a guy like me who likes to run solo. 4 days of playing and I have a level 60 Bounty Hunter and can run through the flash points at my own pace by myself. That means much more to me than I am able to express.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

The game has basically been relaunched, and the timing is good with Star Wars mania sweeping the globe. I think it was the right move to make.

I do hope that, having made the game so much more solo-friendly, they start revisiting certain multiplayer aspects. I think one of the worst "leftover" things in the game right now is the fact that so many quest objectives still involve waiting around for NPC/object spawns that can be stolen by other players. It's a mechanic that makes the game less fun the more people are playing it, and the effect is totally antisocial.

Speaking of social, it's high time they made social points legacy-wide, or otherwise overhauled that system. I've been playing this game since forever, with the same group of friends, and most of my characters are sitting at around social rank 2. Maybe it doesn't matter as much as it used to, but there's still some cool stuff walled off behind high social ranks.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Nerd Of Prey posted:

The game has basically been relaunched, and the timing is good with Star Wars mania sweeping the globe. I think it was the right move to make.

I do hope that, having made the game so much more solo-friendly, they start revisiting certain multiplayer aspects. I think one of the worst "leftover" things in the game right now is the fact that so many quest objectives still involve waiting around for NPC/object spawns that can be stolen by other players. It's a mechanic that makes the game less fun the more people are playing it, and the effect is totally antisocial.

Speaking of social, it's high time they made social points legacy-wide, or otherwise overhauled that system. I've been playing this game since forever, with the same group of friends, and most of my characters are sitting at around social rank 2. Maybe it doesn't matter as much as it used to, but there's still some cool stuff walled off behind high social ranks.

Heavily agreed on that first one. FF14, by contrast, has few objectives that aren't player-exclusive, and when it does have them, the system generously allows players attacking the same enemy to share credit, even if they aren't grouped. It makes it so that you're actually happy to see people in your zone, which is exactly the attitude an MMO ought to inspire.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Nerd Of Prey posted:

Some of the spawn times on certain needed mobs is ridiculous. Every time I've run the Dromond Kass one with that possessed mandalorian, it's either someone is smart and starts grouping or it's a near feeding frenzy of everyone trying to get in first hit. Making social points legacy wide and/or opening up different avenues to earn them would help out a lot too since for the most part I've given up on working towards that because it takes so long to grind as it currently is.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
Ouch 1500cc for a one time use dye? I'll all for blowing some CC on some pretty princess poo poo but that is a tad ridiculous.

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
Real men just make and delete characters for about four hours straight until they get black/black in a cantina crate anyway.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Medullah posted:

I saw someone post somewhere what I think is perfect. There is no better time for new players to get into this game, there's a ton of story content that will last you for a long time and the KOTFE storyline is really good so far.

However, there really hasn't been a worse time for long time players in a while. There's not a ton of motivation to raid - Story Mode raiding means gear doesn't matter, so it's relatively easy to gear up to Hard Mode level. But with Nightmare Mode not dropping 224 gear, the only reason to do NiM is to get achievements and decorations. And while it's cool that EV and KP are significant again, the fact that you can get almost every 220 piece running the HM version of those makes it tough to get people to commit to running something harder unless they want a challenge or achievements (which is why I want to run harder content.)

Game is in a weird place right now. They really need to announce some of their multiplayer plans soon. Even if it's just "We are hoping to have a new warzone in August" or "A new raid will be ready in September". Something to give a breadcrumb for those people who have all the alts they want and are a bit tired of the commendation grind.

I completely agree. I am one chapter away from finishing all the stories and having a shiny logo, I think the smuggler story is incredibly boring and I'm at the point just before you hit corellia. After farming the alliance packs on four empire characters for like three weeks, i'm spent.

I'm just going to wait until the February update hits, and I'm not giving them cash for HK-51. I already did that for all of Niko Ocarr's gear and i'm not using any of it.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

B-Mac posted:

Ouch 1500cc for a one time use dye? I'll all for blowing some CC on some pretty princess poo poo but that is a tad ridiculous.

Maybe they'll put some of the money people spend on them towards making up for loving up over half the events scheduled for this month? Maybe?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Crindee posted:

Real men just make and delete characters for about four hours straight until they get black/black in a cantina crate anyway.

Sure, but what if I want black/black on an existing character? Cantina-crate dyes are character-bound. :argh:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

B-Mac posted:

I wish the cartel market lighsabers didn't have such lovely sounds to them. IMO they look cool butmost of them have terrible sounds, the starter sabers sound the best.

Get one of the Exposed sabers where you can see the crystal. They also look awesome, to boot.

prefect posted:

Sure, but what if I want black/black on an existing character? Cantina-crate dyes are character-bound. :argh:

You can dye something that's unbound and it won't bind. Toss the piece in legacy storage, dye it with random alt, toss it back, use it on important character. Profit!

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Dec 26, 2015

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

prefect posted:

I used mine to dye legacy gear.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Fuzz posted:

You can dye something that's unbound and it won't bind. Toss the piece in legacy storage, dye it with random alt, toss it back, use it on important character. Profit!

I think I've figured out why I didn't believe you -- when you get gear from a collection, it's automatically bound to your character. I had assumed collected gear was bound to legacy, not to character. :downs:

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

prefect posted:

I think I've figured out why I didn't believe you -- when you get gear from a collection, it's automatically bound to your character. I had assumed collected gear was bound to legacy, not to character. :downs:

If collection gear was per-legacy I'd care a lot more about collecting everything.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Verranicus posted:

If collection gear was per-legacy I'd care a lot more about collecting everything.

Yeah, but then they couldn't charge you to unlock each set across your legacy.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Fuzz posted:

Yeah, but then they couldn't charge you to unlock each set across your legacy.

Their loss, now I just won't buy any of the armor at all.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Merry late Christmas, TNG. I hope that Darth Santa brought you all the good drops.

vosk
Jul 28, 2005

THE PRODIGOON SON
So what's with having to enter a second valid email address to unlock characters above level 20?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

vosk posted:

So what's with having to enter a second valid email address to unlock characters above level 20?

Gold seller spam protection. Which obviously works well because I never see spam in fleet or get emails from Tthh offering me deals.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Medullah posted:

However, there really hasn't been a worse time for long time players in a while.

This is true and it makes me sad. I find myself having to work up the urge to log in recently. Having two events in row go tits up with their explanation being "Oops - sorry. Nope, we're not fixing it" has also added to my lack of motivation.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I just got my first character to level 65. Sith Warrior is a lot of fun; I guess I'm the target audience for those WOW SO EVIL characters.

Can anyone recommend a good guide for DPS Juggernauts? I'm not having any particular trouble, but I'd like to make sure I'm playing well before I take on any difficult content.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

GlitchThief posted:

I just got my first character to level 65. Sith Warrior is a lot of fun; I guess I'm the target audience for those WOW SO EVIL characters.

Can anyone recommend a good guide for DPS Juggernauts? I'm not having any particular trouble, but I'd like to make sure I'm playing well before I take on any difficult content.

Dufly.net

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Jedi posted:

This is true and it makes me sad. I find myself having to work up the urge to log in recently. Having two events in row go tits up with their explanation being "Oops - sorry. Nope, we're not fixing it" has also added to my lack of motivation.

For me it's still a good "Got nothing else to do and want to multi task watching a movie or just got home from a drunken bar night so I'll see what's going on" game.

I still have a desire to do some hard mode, challenging content...but the last few weeks of trying to get 8 people interested in raiding on a regular basis has been a bit depressing. Unfortunately I think I have to accept that if I want to do endgame content I'd have to take a toon or two and look for an active guild because TNG is pretty much just a social guild with no real aspirations of doing endgame PvE/PvP. Not sure if I really feel like doing that so I'll probably just log on for HM raid nights and hopefully we can get a group of people interested regularly.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Medullah posted:

For me it's still a good "Got nothing else to do and want to multi task watching a movie or just got home from a drunken bar night so I'll see what's going on" game.

I still have a desire to do some hard mode, challenging content...but the last few weeks of trying to get 8 people interested in raiding on a regular basis has been a bit depressing. Unfortunately I think I have to accept that if I want to do endgame content I'd have to take a toon or two and look for an active guild because TNG is pretty much just a social guild with no real aspirations of doing endgame PvE/PvP. Not sure if I really feel like doing that so I'll probably just log on for HM raid nights and hopefully we can get a group of people interested regularly.

I'd love to join you guys but I probably don't have the gear for it, plus my connection is too wonky for me to be part of something where I'd have to be on my a game. Sorry.

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

I think, therefore I am inevitable.
Taking a moment from the bittervet hour if we can, can anyone clarify if companion gear matters, or if it's purely influence/presence that determines their stats?

I was pretty sure companion gear is just cosmetic, but I'm having trouble chasing down any sources.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
with the companion overhaul, gear is merely cosmetic for them. Which is why dudes like Khem'val and droids only have weapon slots, if that.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Is your server dead? I looked at server populations before starting a couple days ago and Harbinger was staggeringly more populated than all of the other servers. I tried a couple other servers and while the ping was better, they were all noticeably more empty. As a new player, though, all I was seeing was the starter planet and I know that the website that shows you server populations in graphs is not totally accurate.

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

rio posted:

Is your server dead? I looked at server populations before starting a couple days ago and Harbinger was staggeringly more populated than all of the other servers. I tried a couple other servers and while the ping was better, they were all noticeably more empty. As a new player, though, all I was seeing was the starter planet and I know that the website that shows you server populations in graphs is not totally accurate.

Harbinger is indeed the most populous server. We tend to be the most progressed in PvE, have a strong PvP scene, and are the unofficial APAC server so it rolls all day.

If you care about the muliplayer part of MMO and don't mind PST time it's hard to beat.

Sylvyfish
Feb 16, 2012

We can't get hung up on real world morality.
Is that 12x experience for subscribers thing still going on now that the expansion is released? I only ever finished the Inquisitor story. I never managed to get through any of the others because of the non-unique content I had to repeat.

OzCavalier
Jun 6, 2006

SON OF BITCH!
[LEFT HOOK]
Ok I may have missed an announcement on this (because I really only sporadically read this thread :effort: ) so excuse me for asking this if it's already answered somewhere in the last 194 pages, but...

Did companion storyline quests disappear with 4.0?

I got all the storylines completed for my Imp characters, but now that I'm (finally) working on my Pub side ones I'm not seeing any companion quests at all, despite having most of my companions at 'level' 15 Influence...

Now I know they removed the achievements for affection when they rolled it over to Influence, but what about the bonuses you used to get (extra Presence, bonus to Max Health/Accuracy/Crit/Healing) for having completed the companion storylines... did those get removed too? Or do you now need insanely high Influence 'levels' to complete those things?

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Sylvyfish posted:

Is that 12x experience for subscribers thing still going on now that the expansion is released? I only ever finished the Inquisitor story. I never managed to get through any of the others because of the non-unique content I had to repeat.
They've made it permanently 6x for your class quest and 6x for the planetary story quest for everyone. They also added 'level sync' which reduces your level/stats down to the area you're in which has had the flow on effect of making everything give shitloads of experience because you're always at the right level for the incidental stuff you do while you're doing your class/planetary quest or heroics. Heroics have also been overhauled so they're all doable with just you and your companion (although they're better with another actual person as the rewards scale if you're in a group) and are a stupid good source of money, gear and experience.

There's also currently a double exp event running until the 1st of January which is making this even more stupid but I'm not sure if that's subscriber only.

OzCavalier posted:

Ok I may have missed an announcement on this (because I really only sporadically read this thread :effort: ) so excuse me for asking this if it's already answered somewhere in the last 194 pages, but...

Did companion storyline quests disappear with 4.0?

I got all the storylines completed for my Imp characters, but now that I'm (finally) working on my Pub side ones I'm not seeing any companion quests at all, despite having most of my companions at 'level' 15 Influence...

Now I know they removed the achievements for affection when they rolled it over to Influence, but what about the bonuses you used to get (extra Presence, bonus to Max Health/Accuracy/Crit/Healing) for having completed the companion storylines... did those get removed too? Or do you now need insanely high Influence 'levels' to complete those things?
No, they've changed it so that they appear when you hit triggers in your personal story regardless of companion influence. Flows a lot better with the story now.

Sylvyfish
Feb 16, 2012

We can't get hung up on real world morality.
Sounds good. After I quit I was hoping they'd shut the game down and repackage it into a single player game because the storylines were so good. Looks like this is close to what I was waiting for.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

rio posted:

Most goons play on Jedi Covenant, and from what I've seen the server isn't dead.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Verranicus posted:

Most goons play on Jedi Covenant, and from what I've seen the server isn't dead.

It's not dead, but Harbinger is much more populated.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Ugh, hey all, with the new film out I'm getting sucked backed into Star Wars Hell[tm] and am probably gonna get back into this game.

Quick question: if I subscribe, I get "everything," right? All the expansions and QOL and whatnot. No need to unlock anything separately?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

BrianWilly posted:

Ugh, hey all, with the new film out I'm getting sucked backed into Star Wars Hell[tm] and am probably gonna get back into this game.

Quick question: if I subscribe, I get "everything," right? All the expansions and QOL and whatnot. No need to unlock anything separately?

Correct. The only unlocks you'd need to buy in game are things like extra inventory slots, cargo bays, etc. All expansions are free with sub, and there are no limits on war zones and operations as a sub. There are other perks that are QOL that are legacy based like quick travel cool down reduction and other things that are character based like field respec but those can all be bought with credits.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Medullah posted:

It's not dead, but Harbinger is much more populated.

Well yeah, but I figure playing with a good number of goons is better than playing with a larger and laggier population of pubbies.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.

Verranicus posted:

Well yeah, but I figure playing with a good number of goons is better than playing with a larger and laggier population of pubbies.

Maybe it's just the holidays but I haven't seen more than ~15, maybe 20 people on during peak hours in the goon guild, to be honest.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Jinnigan posted:

Maybe it's just the holidays but I haven't seen more than ~15, maybe 20 people on during peak hours in the goon guild, to be honest.

That doesn't seem like that small a number to me, honestly. It's not as if you do a huge amount of group content in SWTOR as it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dominoeffect
Oct 1, 2013

How is PvP in this game? I played first at launch and haven't played since. Is this an ok game to mostly PvP?

• Locked thread