Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
About to start Age of Decadence, anything I should know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

Anything for Killing Floor 2?

-Headshots are important. Not only do they do way more damage, once you've shot the head off an enemy you'll also disable their special abilities. Gorefasts won't be able to sprint, Sirens can't scream, Husk's can't shoot, etc. etc.

-The Siren's scream will destroy any grenades and other explosives within its area of effect, so they won't explode.

-The Berserker's EMP grenade doesn't do all that much damage, but temporarily keeps enemies from using their special abilities.

-If you use your healing shot on another player, it'll recharge much faster than when you use it on yourself. So try to heal each other whenever feasible.

-When dualwielding pistols, the secondary attack button allows you to switch between two different styles of ironsighting for them.

-When you die, you'll drop the weapon you're currently holding. Try to make sure it's your most expensive one, so that another player can pick it up and give it back to you once you respawn.

-If you're just a few bucks short of the next weapon, consider asking for a bit of money. People tend to be quite willing to help each other out. Conversely, help them out when you've some to spare.

-You're by no means limited to just the weapons associated with the class you're playing. Several classes can do qzuite well with another's weapons in addition to their own. Bringing a medic pistol is almost always a good idea, and the gunslinger's pistols can make for powerful yet lightweigt backup weapons.

-Consider moving up to Hard difficulty pretty early as soon as you've found your footing. It offers an actual challenge and gives way more XP, and if you're careful you don't really need any levels to be effective.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer
How about Hyperdimension Neptunia RE;Birth 1? I've heard these games are silly and a lot of fun, but haven't started yet.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

I got elite dangerous in the sale! Someone tell me what on earth I should do?

Gerblyn posted:

Also curious about this! I played for a few hours, I can land, take off and travel from system to system, but I have no idea what I'm actually supposed to be doing. I'm not very good at making my own fun :(

I'm sorry but no, do not ask about E:D in this thread. Do you understand what kind of game E:D even is? Its a flight sim. Answering your many questions and detailing how to play the various parts of the game are going to require pages of posts that nobody else cares about.

There's a loving huge E:D thread why don't you just go read the OP and post questions in it?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3741690

Look at what a wonderful OP that is :v:

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

I'm sorry but no, do not ask about E:D in this thread. Do you understand what kind of game E:D even is? Its a flight sim. Answering your many questions and detailing how to play the various parts of the game are going to require pages of posts that nobody else cares about.

There's a loving huge E:D thread why don't you just go read the OP and post questions in it?

Decent avvie/post combo.

ScratchAndSniff
Sep 28, 2008

This game stinks

Pierzak posted:

About to start Age of Decadence, anything I should know?

Seconding this. I've tried to play that game a few times, and each time I find that I am unable to talk or fight my way out of a paper bag. Just when I think I have the right skill requirement to win a dialogue, the game throws another skill check at me requiring a different skill I've never touched, and I end up in an unwinnable fight.

Short of save-scumming or using a guide, is there some strategy I'm missing?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
How about Metro 2033 Redux? :)

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

sean10mm posted:

How about Metro 2033 Redux? :)

Stealth killing in 2033 specifically is meant to soften up groups before the loud firefight; you can't really ghost 100% through most enemy groups.

Buy lots of air filters when you have the chance.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

After playing the game for a dozen hours or so, there is some transparently obvious stuff that new players should know that isn't in the OP of that thread, you massive fart.

Most of these are combat related tips, but combat is fun and profitable so

Buy a fuel scoop with your money first. Running out of fuel means you die. Don't run out of fuel.
If and when you can, buy an interdiction module. These will make it easy for you to do the assassination missions, so you don't spend an hour roaming around at 300*c confused as gently caress.
Don't be afraid of combat. Even using an Xbox360 controller and whatever the second cheapest gimbled multicannons are, I was able to take out any NPC I rolled up on that had a wanted level. I assume this will change soon but right now I'm rolling in cash. I've even taken on some players in PVP and won which for me is like some kind of celestial message from the gods of an impending visitation, or the people who play this are relatively bad at space shoots.
Don't bother doing emergency stops. You won't be anywhere near where you want to be, and you take damage.
Watch this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suYDjhdd7O4

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Anything that not on the wiki for Xenoblade Chronicles X that's not on the wiki?

Speaking of which, I did find one tip on another site: Make sure you bring Gwin on missions and get his affinity up to at least one heart, because it's a requirement for one of the endgame story missions.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Can I play E:D as an open space shooter or will there always be an hour of bumbling about trading spice at a 0.7% markup between fights

pizza valentine
Sep 19, 2007

DON'T FAKE THE FUNK
Grimey Drawer
Anything for FF0 HD? Thanks!

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Can I play E:D as an open space shooter or will there always be an hour of bumbling about trading spice at a 0.7% markup between fights

There should be plenty of combat missions to take and you can shoot pirates to get their bounties also.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Anything I should know about Assassin's Creed Unity before jumping in?

Besides not playing it.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
Before jumping in Assassins Creed make sure there's a haybale below you

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Zsinjeh posted:

Before jumping in Assassins Creed make sure there's a haybale below you

God drat it. :suicide:

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy
Quick one for Just Cause 3:

-Vehicles you haven't collected yet have a blue gear icon next to their respected name (bottom left side of the UI).

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Mayor McCheese posted:

Quick one for Just Cause 3:

-Vehicles you haven't collected yet have a blue gear icon next to their respected name (bottom left side of the UI).
Another quick one for Just Cause 3:

- On the Gear Mods menu, hovering over/ moving the selector over a gear mod at any depth in the tree will show you how many gears it'll take to unlock, both as a number (on the right and bottom) and as a percentage bar of the total gears in the game (bottom). This is helpful if you're agonizing over not 5-starring every wingsuit challenge right away, for example.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Evil Mastermind posted:

Anything that not on the wiki for Xenoblade Chronicles X that's not on the wiki?

Speaking of which, I did find one tip on another site: Make sure you bring Gwin on missions and get his affinity up to at least one heart, because it's a requirement for one of the endgame story missions.

It's very easy to raise affinity to one Heart, and there are a lot of side-missions in the game.

So, so very many side missions :shepface:.

As for advice;

The top line of classes is your basic tanky classline and a good starting point. It makes you very hard to kill with Defensive Stance (or a glass cannon with Offensive Stance) and does a pretty decent amount of damage. Winged Viper's much more situational in its damage, and can get tricky if you don't have someone else who can hold aggro in your party.

You get your first Skell with your Skell License after Chapter 6. You'll notice that it's a Level 20 Frame while the store-sold ones are Level 30. Ditch it the moment you clear that level threshold.

Your first purchased Skell should be the Amdusias. The E-Scythe it comes with does an obscene amount of damage from behind, and the Skell itself is a literal melee tank.

Skells come with a limited number of Skell Insurance tickets for when it's destroyed. First three times it happens, it's covered. After that, you pay out of pocket. However, if you can hit Perfect on the QTE when your Skell's destroyed, you won't have to pay. This only works so long as you still have at least one Skell Insurance ticket left, however, as the game code simply doesn't deduct an insurance ticket rather than anything smarter.

Your party members will always hit a Perfect on the Skell Eject QTE, so as long as their Skells have at least one insurance ticket you'll never have to cover their losses.

When the time comes to pick a BLADE Division, just pick Pathfinder. The gains outstrip any other division's by a wide margin, simply because the actions used to score points for them are much more common. It'll mean you can get a Skell Salvage Ticket each day, which lets you recover a destroyed Skell without coughing up 70% of the Skell's cost to restore it.

Don't pay to refuel your Skells if you're about to quit the game - it keeps passively refueling while you aren't playing, so if you quit for the night and come back in the morning you will have a full set of tanks across all your party's Skells.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
The steam sale kicked my rear end. Anything for Eldritch, Grim Fandango, Titan Souls, or Saint's Row 4?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Poison Mushroom posted:

The steam sale kicked my rear end. Anything for Eldritch, Grim Fandango, Titan Souls, or Saint's Row 4?

Dont get the last tier of the Sprint power in SR4. The cyclone effect is more trouble than helpful. Also, dont upgrade your stamina. You can get infinite sprint by doing Keith David's side-missions right at the start of the game.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
the sprint upgrade that sends poo poo flying makes mayhem missions a complete joke, though, so it's good for those. Too bad you can't toggle it.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Poison Mushroom posted:

Grim Fandango:
This is a really fun game and you'll enjoy it a lot if you like offbeat humor. Still, I recommend you play it with a solution guide open. Some, nay, a LOT of the puzzles do not have a common-sense path from the start to the finish.

Saint's Row 4
It's a lot of fun, but don't expect anything deep. You'll probably bang through it once and delete it.
Unless you grind grind grind, you won't be able to upgrade anywhere near all the weapons. Don't worry about it.
You can, however, unlock all the skills. Some blue orbs can't be gotten without some blasts.
Gliding is great, upgrade it first. Personally I thought the vehicles were blah and only used them when I had to.
The zappy powers are all fun, but all you really need is the fire blast.
IIRC, success in insurance fraud is based on the amount of time you spend ragdolling. Try to get knocked into the air.
When the game tells you to defend something, the AI is actually pretty lackadaisical about attacking it. Duck behind cover whenever you need a break.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Poison Mushroom posted:

Saint's Row 4?

The dubstep gun's explosion upgrade makes it an incredible killing machine that can get you out of a lot of binds.

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.
Anything for Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls? It's the console version if that matters.

Also Shadow of Mordor: GOTY? It kind of barfs a ton of DLC. Is some of it broken cheat items or garbage I should uninstall?

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Nohman posted:

Also Shadow of Mordor: GOTY? It kind of barfs a ton of DLC. Is some of it broken cheat items or garbage I should uninstall?
The important thing, just like the base game, is to not buy up your health too much or worry about dying, as that robs you of interacting with most of the fun parts of the Nemesis system.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Gynovore posted:

Saint's Row 4

Unless you grind grind grind, you won't be able to upgrade anywhere near all the weapons. Don't worry about it.

Stick to upgrading the Auto Shotgun, Dubstep Gun, and the Tommygun and you can ignore everything else if you want.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
Any advice to keep myself sane while I play System Shock: Enhanced Edition?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Nohman posted:

From my experience with it, if you have the DLC runes you can pretty much ignore any other rune the game throws at you.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Clicking on an interactable object forces you to walk to it, but holding down Shift allows you to run, which will save you quite a bit of time through the game.

If you want the tank controls achievement, you have to switch the control scheme before you start the game.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
I just picked up Jade Empire. Any tips and/or necessary mods?

bad boyfriend worse lay
Feb 18, 2011

And when they went,
I heard the noise of their wings,
like the noise of great waters.

Dyz posted:

Any advice to keep myself sane while I play System Shock: Enhanced Edition?
Security cameras get marked on the map with red dots as you explore, you need to destroy them all to progress and you'll probably walk by a couple without realising so check the map if you're missing any.

How far (and in what direction) items are thrown depends on how far and where you move the mouse while holding the item as you throw it. If you just click to throw a grenade and click again on the screen while holding it you'll limply throw it at your feet.

Try and find and shut down the cyborg conversion chambers as soon as possible, once you've done this dying only sets you back in terms of having to backtrack to where you got killed.

I always had energy weapons on the highest setting, you can take fewer shots but the higher damage always seemed worth it.

Using beserk patches is supposed to do that, don't worry.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Nohman posted:

I just bought the GOTY a few weeks ago and finished last week so it's all fresh to me.

One of the DLC runes for the sword unlocks its final ability (as long as it's actively equipped). It's a really good ability that might serve you well as an anti-frustration feature. Another is the DLC dagger rune that prevents poison.

None of the DLC runes are "broken" really but there are some better epic runes you may eventually come across. If anything they may spare you from grinding epic runes which is a good thing.

I'd wait until you're finished the main game to play either expansion. In particular the Bright Lord is both spoilery and also a fair bit more difficult than the base game.

Most importantly, mainline the main quest until you are about 11 or 12 missions (i.e. halfway through) because the story-unlocked powers make the game and sidequests much more fun.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Deltasquid posted:

There's an entry on the wiki with a lot of good tips. As far as I remember it's a quintessential BioWare RPG, so there won't be too many gotcha moments if you've played literally any other game in that family.

The only Jade Empire mod worth mentioning is Jade Empire in Style, which adds a bunch of techniques but also messes with some of the vanilla ones.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Poison Mushroom posted:

Saint's Row 4?
As soon as you can do the Vice President's missions, complete them all before you do anything else; the reward for his last mission is infinite sprint and you want that ASAP.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Kind of a specific question but does Fahrenheit: Indigo Prophecy Remastered fix the issue the original had where like 99% of controllers wouldn't recognize the second stick? That game was almost unplayable kb+m but my current PC game pads didn't seem to work with the original (which I had played in like 2005 with a really old Logitech dual stick that worked fine but has since died).

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Deltasquid posted:

Be 100% "good" or "evil". (they call it something different but like every Bioware game it boils down to being a goody two-shoes or kicking babies)
Talk to your companions. In particular, talk to the wacky inventor and don't finish the Imperial city until you've gone to the secret place.
Weapons are decent but skippable. You can get an awesome weapon by beating John Cleese.
Transformation styles are blah except for Jade Golem, which is hilariously overpowered. Support styles suck.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Kenny Logins posted:

I just bought the GOTY a few weeks ago and finished last week so it's all fresh to me.

One of the DLC runes for the sword unlocks its final ability (as long as it's actively equipped). It's a really good ability that might serve you well as an anti-frustration feature. Another is the DLC dagger rune that prevents poison.

None of the DLC runes are "broken" really but there are some better epic runes you may eventually come across. If anything they may spare you from grinding epic runes which is a good thing.

Poison is annoying as hell so I wouldn't blame anyone for wanting that rune on hand to deal with a particularly frustrating poisonous captain. My nemesis was a poison javelin dude who would jump into a fight I had already started, and he killed me probably 10-12 times before I used that rune.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Yeah, I thought I'd try and play the game as vanilla as possible and purposefully not equip any of the DLC runes. Then I met a poisonous captain and I was immediately like "gently caress that poo poo" and geared up.

Kenny Logins posted:

Most importantly, mainline the main quest until you are about 11 or 12 missions (i.e. halfway through) because the story-unlocked powers make the game and sidequests much more fun.
I think it's worth it to take your time with the first Warchief assignment. You'll eventually unlock an ability that dramatically expands your basic conception of how to approach things, and I feel like the payoff is bigger if you took your time through the first half.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's very easy to raise affinity to one Heart, and there are a lot of side-missions in the game.

So, so very many side missions :shepface:.

As for advice;

The top line of classes is your basic tanky classline and a good starting point. It makes you very hard to kill with Defensive Stance (or a glass cannon with Offensive Stance) and does a pretty decent amount of damage. Winged Viper's much more situational in its damage, and can get tricky if you don't have someone else who can hold aggro in your party.

You get your first Skell with your Skell License after Chapter 6. You'll notice that it's a Level 20 Frame while the store-sold ones are Level 30. Ditch it the moment you clear that level threshold.

Your first purchased Skell should be the Amdusias. The E-Scythe it comes with does an obscene amount of damage from behind, and the Skell itself is a literal melee tank.

Skells come with a limited number of Skell Insurance tickets for when it's destroyed. First three times it happens, it's covered. After that, you pay out of pocket. However, if you can hit Perfect on the QTE when your Skell's destroyed, you won't have to pay. This only works so long as you still have at least one Skell Insurance ticket left, however, as the game code simply doesn't deduct an insurance ticket rather than anything smarter.

Your party members will always hit a Perfect on the Skell Eject QTE, so as long as their Skells have at least one insurance ticket you'll never have to cover their losses.

When the time comes to pick a BLADE Division, just pick Pathfinder. The gains outstrip any other division's by a wide margin, simply because the actions used to score points for them are much more common. It'll mean you can get a Skell Salvage Ticket each day, which lets you recover a destroyed Skell without coughing up 70% of the Skell's cost to restore it.

Don't pay to refuel your Skells if you're about to quit the game - it keeps passively refueling while you aren't playing, so if you quit for the night and come back in the morning you will have a full set of tanks across all your party's Skells.

These are all good points. Especially the one about the Amdusias. I am still using it at level 53 while saving up for level 50 skells and the E-scythe can reliably take off 50 or so percent from a level 55 mid-sized indigen.

A few more:
Skells have different overdrives depending on model. The name of the overdrive is what pops up in the center bottomish of the screen when you activate it. The effects of the overdrive are visible as text to the left and right of the name for a very brief period of time. There is a whole system behind the overdrive that isn't really explained in-game. It might by in the manual but I looked it up on the web.

Take a lap around NLA every so often. Things to keep an eye out for as you kangaroo around the districts that change every so often.
New affinity mission markers (though most of these gets added to the map automatically).
New missions (orange question mark on minimap).
Yellow speech bubbles (points to new missions and points of interest in the world (gets added to map with a "new" tag on the relevant segment))
Off-duty party members (heart-to-hearts) if your affinity is high enough.

If an affinity mission has a party member cap below 4, it's something you should prioritize doing.

EDIT: I should've checked the wiki before I wrote this. I edited out the bits that was already covered on the wiki.

Foxhound fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Dec 28, 2015