Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.

e.pilot posted:

That was a poor attempt at a joke apparently, I am well aware of the headphone jack issue on the original phone.

Remove it as an alias, I'm surprised it let you add it as an alias if it's already associated with an Apple ID.

You still need to be able to access your old account login and password to add it to family sharing.

I logged in to both Apple ID's on appleid.apple.com and removed the other account's email from the "Reachable at" section and saved. What I am trying to do to accept the family invitation is to create a new user on my Macbook with the secondary Apple ID as its login, and every time I try to do this I get an error message that says "This Apple ID is already in use by another user."

I am sure there is an easier way to do this but I can't figure out how.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Endless Mike posted:

Regardless, no current iPhone has wireless charging, so charging requires plugging things into your phone.

prove it bitch

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Rubiks Pubes posted:

I logged in to both Apple ID's on appleid.apple.com and removed the other account's email from the "Reachable at" section and saved. What I am trying to do to accept the family invitation is to create a new user on my Macbook with the secondary Apple ID as its login, and every time I try to do this I get an error message that says "This Apple ID is already in use by another user."

I am sure there is an easier way to do this but I can't figure out how.

I'm not really sure where the disconnect is happening. I'd make an appointment at the Genius Bar. When I used to work there we would help people with stuff like this all the time.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Cheap $7 wired earbuds I picked up once from Best Buy sound a little better than my ~$100 JayBid BlueBuds BlueTooth earbuds, but the BlueTooth ones fit perfectly around the back of my head and no wire gets in the way of my jacket buttons, bag strap, shirt collar, hands, etc. This convenience makes the price and the slightly impacted sound quality absolutely worth it.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
Does anyone have sim cutters that they'd recommend? Looking for nano and micro.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

MrBond posted:

Does anyone have sim cutters that they'd recommend? Looking for nano and micro.

If you're not doing batches just download a template off the web and print it at 100% and use it as a guide.

I tape the sim to the template, use a ruler and a sharpie to mark where I want to cut then go to town with a pair of scissors.

Just err on the side of not cutting enough material off (if its too large you can always file it down but if you cut it too small it might sit too loosely in the tray

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
You could go to a cell phone repair shop and just ask them to do it for you real quick. Takes maybe 3 seconds if they have a cutter.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

When I brought mine in they just gave me a new one cos my original sim had a chip that was too big for the Teeeny nano sim.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Quantum of Phallus posted:

When I brought mine in they just gave me a new one cos my original sim had a chip that was too big for the Teeeny nano sim.

When I cut mine I just cut into the copper portion. The copper contact area is larger than the IC underneath

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
If I'm going to buy an iPhone to use on Cricket, can I just buy from Cricket? Or is there any benefit from buying it at an Apple store and then taking it to Cricket? Better support, etc.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Anyone got recommendations for cooking apps. Fit Men Cook is on sale. Ridiculous name but the app store reviews are good.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

TheAngryDrunk posted:

If I'm going to buy an iPhone to use on Cricket, can I just buy from Cricket? Or is there any benefit from buying it at an Apple store and then taking it to Cricket? Better support, etc.

Apple probably has a better return policy, and I'd bet the Apple Store is a vastly better experience than a Cricket Store. Once it's purchased it doesn't really matter since the Apple Store will service it regardless of where you bought it from.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Dugong posted:

Anyone got recommendations for cooking apps. Fit Men Cook is on sale. Ridiculous name but the app store reviews are good.

Paprika is the only cooking recipe app you'll need.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

What is the best way to extract a broken headphone cord tip from a 6s? My godmother just got a brand new phone and her niece broke a cheap aux cord off in it.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Rubiks Pubes posted:

What is the best way to extract a broken headphone cord tip from a 6s? My godmother just got a brand new phone and her niece broke a cheap aux cord off in it.

We used dental tools at the Apple Store, but it's next to impossible. I was the only one that ever had any luck getting them out.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I did that once with a portable TV. Even being able to strip it down and have access to the insides I still broke it trying to get it out. Good luck.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

I made a tool out of a metal poker tool and a compressed air straw. Gets them out every. single. time. My coworkers tell me I should patent it.

I have to replace the straw every so often, but it works great. If there's still plastic/rubber around the metal, I usually can just stick the poker into it and pull out, but if it's metal, the straw grabs it quite nicely.

empty baggie fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Dec 27, 2015

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

We ended up grinding down some needle nose pliers to a very fine tip and my dad was able to slowly work the piece of the plug out.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
that's a weird way to go about anal

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Nice. Glad you got it out. It always aggravated me that the usual solution to that problem was to charge the customer to swap devices. That's when i figured out that those duster straws fit around the tip of the broken headphone plugs. Occasionally, I have to use a razor blade to cut a small slice in the end of the straw so it will fit over bigger pieces, but even with tougher ones that may take 10-15 minutes of effort, my makeshift tool has never let me down. We finally started charging people $20 after about 3 years of doing it for free. 20 bucks is cheaper than replacing the device for sure and nobody has ever complained.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

couldn't you just dab a bit of superglue on the flat end of a bamboo skewer, stick it on the plug and pull it out when dry

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Sounds like a high stakes game of operation, touch the sides and get impossible to remove globs of dried superglue stuck in there.

I mean I might try it as a last resort if it means the phone is useless with the plug in there, but as a first try? Nah.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

couldn't you just dab a bit of superglue on the flat end of a bamboo skewer, stick it on the plug and pull it out when dry

This is at least the second post of yours that I've recently read that has really great synergy with your username.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

I've tried something similar in the past, but it's never worked very well for me. The duster straw never fails.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Perhaps this has been discussed but I couldn't find it. Has anyone had their iPhone tell them they missed calls at random times? Say my mother called at 6:53PM .. I answered the call but then around 10PM the same night the thing tells me I missed a call from her at that time. It didn't notify me at all during those ~4 hours and I used my phone a lot.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Do you have you iPhone connected to a Mac and FaceTime call forwarding enabled on it?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Do you have you iPhone connected to a Mac and FaceTime call forwarding enabled on it?

A different issue, but it bugs me that I take a phone call on my iPhone, then my iMac starts ringing. It's cool it syncs, it needs to just do a faster job with it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah it's way too slow to be useful. I've never used my Mac instead of my phone for calls or FaceTime.
For SMS it's great though.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

I do use the magical answer at any location stuff ... and yes, it seems that I did enable call forwarding to my iPad (that AT&T feature they just added) and completely forgot about it. Going to disable that as it's super annoying. It would make sense as to why I saw the call pop back up around 10 as that's the time I got home from the gym and my phone was in range of the iPad/WiFi again. However, that's a really irritating bug.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
it's not a bug, it's a feature

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

noirstronaut posted:

it's not a bug, it's a feature

Ah yes, indeed.

Spagghentleman
Jan 1, 2013
My work phone got a pretty big upgrade from a dumbphone to an iPhone 5S with a nice big 6GB data plan. I've always had work phones with basic corporate plans, and had my personal phone on the side with a typical stupid Canadian data plan (Currently pay $60/mo for 950MB data :canada: ), but a lot of people are ditching their personal phone and just using their work phone all the time (in a possible ploy from my employer to make us more reachable after hours)

I'm thinking of ditching my personal phone and dumping the number onto something stupid cheap (ie. Prepaid) just to keep the number. Only thing I'm a little iffy about is the MobileIron app we are forced to install, which disables iCloud, enforces strict password rules, gives access to our work exchange, etc.
How tinfoil-hatty am I for worrying that some IT manager can read my texts / see pictures and browsing history on my phone? Does MobileIron allow that stuff? Obviously corporate e-mail is going to be fully visible by IT, but I'm not sure what else they gain access to.

Also feel free to point me towards a better thread to post this, as this has more to do with corporate IT than iPhones.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I've been kind of frustrated this year with Android products for a large variety of reasons and I've started eyeballing an iPhone 6s Plus as a possible replacement, still just weighing options right now though. I've got a lot of stupid questions on my mind, but I was wondering if you guys had seen a good writeup or FAQ on making the switch from Android to iPhone that I could just read through instead. I know literally nothing about Apple products in general, other than they are scary and different.

I am on Verizon and due to a weirdity with my current plan, I will actually be paying negative money by getting a new phone through them. Will getting the phone through Verizon load it up with a bunch of unremoveable bloatware like they do with Android phones? Or is it removable at least?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

I've been kind of frustrated this year with Android products for a large variety of reasons and I've started eyeballing an iPhone 6s Plus as a possible replacement, still just weighing options right now though. I've got a lot of stupid questions on my mind, but I was wondering if you guys had seen a good writeup or FAQ on making the switch from Android to iPhone that I could just read through instead. I know literally nothing about Apple products in general, other than they are scary and different.

I am on Verizon and due to a weirdity with my current plan, I will actually be paying negative money by getting a new phone through them. Will getting the phone through Verizon load it up with a bunch of unremoveable bloatware like they do with Android phones? Or is it removable at least?

No carrier bloatware on apple devices (only Apple made bloatware apps which are undeleteable but can all be put in a folder you'll never go into again).

Apple recently put out an Android app to help you switch over your data to iOS. I haven't heard if using it is a seamless experience.

You'll generally find that Apple products are well made and intuitive but you may occasionally run into one of Apple's "garden walls" they artificially put up to keep people within their ecosystem. It doesn't happen often but it does happen.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

You should totally go to a store and play with an iPhone to see if there are any weird bits of functionality you immediately miss, then ask in the app thread or here if there's any way to fix it. The answer is probably Goodreader, though.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
iOS app thread: You're probably looking for Goodreader. (App does have a pretty ridiculous amount of functionality in it though). Documents by Reedle(?) is similar but prettier also if I remember right.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Alright, thanks guys. There shouldn't be any problems still using google's ecosystem for most stuff right? I use GMail, Google Calendar, and Google Drive specifically. The only other major things I'm worried about app-wise is finding a decent weather widget (I use Arcen on Android, which is very flexible and does exactly what I want), and something good for music (I use Rocketplayer current, not sure if there's better free options on iPhone) and podcasts (i use BeyondPod which is definitely not on iPhone). Everything else seems like it's there exactly as I would expect it.

I got my hands on an iPhone 6s briefly at the Verizon store already but I should see if they will let me sit down and try messing around with everything.

Two other small questions:
1) Having bad experience with iTunes in the past, is it doable to sync files/music/photos/etc with my PC without using Apple's software on my PC at all? Or do they have something that's not awful these days?
2) Any warranty plans worthwhile? I am very good about not damaging my phones usually but I seem to have absurdly bad luck with things just randomly going wrong with them.

Goodreader looks really good so I'll keep that in mind too.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Weather Underground for weather. Check it out.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Alright, thanks guys. There shouldn't be any problems still using google's ecosystem for most stuff right? I use GMail, Google Calendar, and Google Drive specifically. The only other major things I'm worried about app-wise is finding a decent weather widget (I use Arcen on Android, which is very flexible and does exactly what I want), and something good for music (I use Rocketplayer current, not sure if there's better free options on iPhone) and podcasts (i use BeyondPod which is definitely not on iPhone). Everything else seems like it's there exactly as I would expect it.

I got my hands on an iPhone 6s briefly at the Verizon store already but I should see if they will let me sit down and try messing around with everything.

1) Having bad experience with iTunes in the past, is it doable to sync files/music/photos/etc with my PC without using Apple's software on my PC at all? Or do they have something that's not awful these days?
2) Any warranty plans worthwhile? I am very good about not damaging my phones usually but I seem to have absurdly bad luck with things just randomly going wrong with them.

1) If you're already used to the Google ecosystem, then you can use Google Music for music, Google Photos for photos and whatever else you like. iTunes is still a pain (especially on Windows) but for myself it's more of a use once or twice a year kind of thing now.
2) Applecare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

What do you typically do on your Android--apps used, actions performed, etc? You can typically get the same things done between one and the other, but the methods you'll go about it and apps you'll use to do it change.
There are apps that you will not use that will be on your device, but they hide in a folder and for all intent and purposes can stop existing.
The only browsers people seem to use are Chrome and Safari, and while you can individually tell most apps to forward links to Chrome instead of Safari, you cannot set alternatives to the system defaults--that's going to be safari for safari, mail for email, etc. It sounds far more annoying than it actually is in practice for an alternative browser user, but between Chrome not being any better than Safari and not supporting extensions anyway, there isn't much reason not to just use Safari.
3rd Party Keyboards are available, but their implementation on iOS leaves them all unsatisfactory--they just don't have enough memory allocated. You might find them worth it once you're used to the phone, but they crash too often to be something I'd recommend while you're still getting the thing set up. The keyboards are great if you have a jailbroken device and alter that memory allocation, so it's really on Apple's end to get those working and it hasn't seemed to be a priority on their end.

Also, what are your annoyances WITH Android? There are enough similarities between the two that they could very well also be iOS annoyances. Don't get me wrong, I like iOS and prefer it to Android, but it's not without it's own share of drawbacks.

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

iTunes is still awful. That being said, goodreader works as a file manager fine. How much do you need to move from your PC to your phone and vice versa physically compared to how much can be handled invisibly (set google photos to backup all ios photos, no need to sync).

The three hottest topics in this thread are weather widgets, podcast clients, and password managers. My recommendations for each are Weather Underground, Overcast (but gently caress Marco), and 1Password.