Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what's the name for that thing people do when they try to go for a dive but they go all flat and are basically ultra slapped by gravity and water?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
A belly flop?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

AlphaKretin posted:

So do these things actually hover or are they mopeds without the handlebars?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDNgmdGMpuY

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

StarMinstrel posted:

Is the road slippery or is the car being pulled toward the Tornado by it?

yes

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

StarMinstrel posted:

Is the road slippery or is the car being pulled toward the Tornado by it?

it looks like they dont even apply his brakes until theyre right next to the tornado

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Birb Katter posted:

You should move to a backwater country like Australia where you'd get the poo poo kicked out of you for using one.

I've seen two, both in shopping centres at night :ughh:

One guy was crossing at the lights after presumably shopping and I had to stop and watch just to see if he fell head first into traffic so I could laugh at him. Sadly, he did not.

trickybiscuits posted:

Push them and then deny it.

Come up behind them and press down on the edge of the board causing it to fly out from under them - then yell at them for riding those stupid things in a public place.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Gorilla Salad posted:

Come up behind them and press down on the edge of the board causing it to fly out from under them - then yell at them for riding those stupid things in a public place.

Or leave them alone because you are not the focal point of existence and it doesn't have anything to do with you. You would know this were you not all filthy millennial bastards

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

titties posted:

Or leave them alone because you are not the focal point of existence and it doesn't have anything to do with you. You would know this were you not all filthy millennial bastards

We were laughing at skateboarders before you were born, whats a VHS

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Ozz81 posted:

Someone basically looked at a Segway and said "hey, let's make it worse by removing the handles and gyroscope, then sell it to boneheads"
??? The only way the thing works is with a gyroscope

This happens everytime, and it is painfully stupid. These things are like cell phones in how they will be perceived and accepted by the general public, they look incredibly stupid and useless from a far, but once you ride one around you realize "oh hey, neat!"

The vitriol from afar is so bizarre, but this is SA and pyf - the most curmudgeony subforum in the whole system.

http://i.imgur.com/BH1ZXo2.gifv

KoRMaK has a new favorite as of 08:00 on Dec 27, 2015

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
You don't ride a cell phone. That's dumb.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

KoRMaK posted:

This happens everytime, and it is painfully stupid. These things are like cell phones in how they will be perceived and accepted by the general public, they look incredibly stupid and useless from a far, but once you ride one around you realize "oh hey, neat!"

Oh man, that reminds me of some prime retrospect schaden.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

http://i.imgur.com/ahh4kOw.webm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWv_9BrwLik

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBofxHr8dms

quote:

This fun scooter turned out to be too hot to handle.

KoRMaK has a new favorite as of 08:05 on Dec 27, 2015

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

KoRMaK posted:

??? The only way the thing works is with a gyroscope

The vitriol from afar is so bizarre, but this is SA and pyf - the most curmudgeony subforum in the whole system.

http://i.imgur.com/BH1ZXo2.gifv

A cell phone offers several advantages over yelling real loud so your friend can hear you. What advantages do these dumb hover boards offer over walking kinda fast?

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Slime posted:

A cell phone offers several advantages over yelling real loud so your friend can hear you. What advantages do these dumb hover boards offer over walking kinda fast?

To not walk at all?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

To not walk at all?

If it's far enough that walking is impractical, get in your car. If you find there's middle ground either you're too worried about fuel efficiency (in which case you're probably accustomed to walking this distances anyway) or you're lazy. In any case, it's not even remotely comparable to mobile phones, especially since bikes, scooters, Segways and whatever the gently caress else already exist.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

"The Americans may have need of this 'telephone', but we do not. England has messenger boys enough."

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
We already know the future of personal short-distance transportation, and it's Rascal scooters.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
its a fine tradition that whenever something most people think is a cool/fun novelty gets popular, goons start pissing their pants at how much they hate it.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
1928 - The Some Such Thing is Patently Orful Letter Writing Group

23Skidoo - "I say old bean, have you heard of this bloody rot about Penicillin?"
Archpuke Franz Birdinthehand - "GHASTLY! Some sort of medicant, supposedly kills internal parasites!"
23Skidoo - "Bah, all these young whippersnappers! Thinking they can cure their bodily ailments with a simple injection. Why, as if leeches and a stiff upper lip weren't natures cure already!"

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

But I mean, again, these stupid things aren't the first, fastest, or easiest to use product of its kind. Even if people are so lazy that "replacement for walking" is a product on par with loving mobile phones, that niche has already been filled by plenty of products that don't result in a page of crash pictures in this thread. Please tell me that me reading posts here as advocating these things is a gross misreading. Or else that the posts saying so are trolling and I'm just a fool.

E:

Somfin posted:

Something Awful users choose to post in forums in the year 2015- we're mild luddites by nature.

This is exactly the sort of comment I mean, the tone of others sounds like "oh you just hate them because :rolleyes:goons:rolleyes:, hover boards are totally the next phone".

AlphaKretin has a new favorite as of 12:40 on Dec 27, 2015

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

AlphaKretin posted:

But I mean, again, these stupid things aren't the first, fastest, or easiest to use product of its kind. Even if people are so lazy that "replacement for walking" is a product on par with loving mobile phones, that niche has already been filled by plenty of products that don't result in a page of crash pictures in this thread. Please tell me that me reading posts here as advocating these things is a gross misreading. Or else that the posts saying so are trolling and I'm just a fool.

Something Awful users choose to post in forums in the year 2015- we're mild luddites by nature.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I'd say it's like a unicycle (a fail army favourite) vs a bike. It unnecessarily dangerous and just a gimmick.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Therefore it has no place in the world and must be eradicated, along with everyone who has less than absolute contempt for it!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

1928 - The Some Such Thing is Patently Orful Letter Writing Group

23Skidoo - "I say old bean, have you heard of this bloody rot about Penicillin?"
Archpuke Franz Birdinthehand - "GHASTLY! Some sort of medicant, supposedly kills internal parasites!"
23Skidoo - "Bah, all these young whippersnappers! Thinking they can cure their bodily ailments with a simple injection. Why, as if leeches and a stiff upper lip weren't natures cure already!"

People have made a habit of making GBS threads on newfangled contraptions which turned out to be revolutionary inventions which would change the world for several thousand years now and providing some tasty schadenfreude for us here in the future.

quote:

What can be more palpably absurd than the prospect held out of locomotives traveling twice as fast as stagecoaches?
- The Quarterly Review, England (March 1825)

quote:

The abolishment of pain in surgery is a chimera. It is absurd to go on seeking it... Knife and pain are two words in surgery that must forever be associated in the consciousness of the patient.
- Dr. Alfred Velpeau (1839), French surgeon

quote:

This `telephone' has too many shortcomings to be seriously considered as a practical form of communication. The device is inherently of no value to us.
- Western Union internal memo, 1878

quote:

There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in their home.
- Kenneth Olsen, president and founder of Digital Equipment Corp., 1977.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
I see hoverboards all the time in Korea. They're a fun way to get around that doesn't include dying in a moped/motorcycle accident or having to store a bike. They also allow people to travel farther to shop during short breaks during school or work. Some businesses put a pretty lady on one for advertising downtown, or for cheaper, quicker deliveries to near-by locations.

I derive schadenfreude watching people get angry at gadgets they don't have to buy.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Gonna go on a limb and say maybe the only thing revolutionary about a motorized skateboard would be the doors to the Hospital reception.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

People have made a habit of making GBS threads on newfangled contraptions which turned out to be revolutionary inventions which would change the world for several thousand years now and providing some tasty schadenfreude for us here in the future.

The best one, for me, is doctors who literally believed their hands didn't have germs on it since they were so much closer to God, therefor they didn't have to wash their hands. Or sterilize anything. Absolutely amazing that something as simple as having clean hands or gloves for a surgery was resisted for so many years because of some stupid belief.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

The best one, for me, is doctors who literally believed their hands didn't have germs on it since they were so much closer to God, therefor they didn't have to wash their hands. Or sterilize anything. Absolutely amazing that something as simple as having clean hands or gloves for a surgery was resisted for so many years because of some stupid belief.

Someone will be saying something similar someday about guns in america.

... someday. :smith:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

How the hell did you guys managed to create two pages of conversation over a silly entertainment toy? It has no purpose but to be fun, like most poo poo that people buy.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Someone will be saying something similar someday about guns in america.

... someday. :smith:

They'll only get rid of guns in America when they replace them with cooler, deadlier HyperGuns. Lightweight, concealable, smart ammunition that can snipe through slabs of concrete and pop a tango's brainmeat...hell fuckin yeah!!!!!

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease
lol that goons are treating a gimmick toy fad as some technological revolution. Wonder how many of you have stock in the company.

Hey guys, there's this new device out, called a Tamagotchi! They're pets without all the mess or medical bills, they're totally going to usher in a new era. Flesh-and-blood animal pets will be a thing of the past, in ten years everybody will own a Tamagotchi. The name Bandai will be spoken in the same breath as Edison and Pasteur. Anybody who thinks otherwise is just angry at technological advancement :smug:

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
You're all being loving pathetic about this and I hope you're all involved in a hoverboard battery explosion.

Some personal schadenfreude I thought I'd share. One of my "friends" (read, person I went to school with and only keep on Facebook for moments like this) proposed to his girlfriend on Christmas Day. Aww. Unfortunately, she didn't want to be proposed to on Christmas Day because she thought it was embarrassing - and had told him this to try and prevent him from proposing on Christmas Day - and after a very long fight they have apparently split up. Serves you right for not listening to her, fucker!

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
I'm going to start a company that makes an integrated hoverboard, cell phone, and sex toy. Checkmate, goons!

Grimble
Jul 7, 2002

He will build a castle with garden on an island called Cheshire, and he is permitted to breed.

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

I'm going to start a company that makes an integrated hoverboard, cell phone, and sex toy. Checkmate, goons!

So when you fall on it, it penetrates you and dials 911?

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

Roro posted:

You're all being loving pathetic about this and I hope you're all involved in a hoverboard battery explosion.

Some personal schadenfreude I thought I'd share. One of my "friends" (read, person I went to school with and only keep on Facebook for moments like this) proposed to his girlfriend on Christmas Day. Aww. Unfortunately, she didn't want to be proposed to on Christmas Day because she thought it was embarrassing - and had told him this to try and prevent him from proposing on Christmas Day - and after a very long fight they have apparently split up. Serves you right for not listening to her, fucker!

Being proposed to on Christmas/Christmas Eve just seems so stressful. You're already dealing with family and presents and travel and money and making everyone happy that you won't get time to bask in your engagement and instead you get to shuffle around telling everyone ten minutes before thanking grandma for getting you slippers that aren't your size. I said this to some friends of mine a few years ago and that Christmas Eve, my brother proposed to his now wife. Eeesh.

MutantBlue
Jun 8, 2001

I see we're all picking sides in The Hoverboard Wars. I'm hiding a stash of textbooks in the hope that civilization can be rebuilt from the ashes. May God forgive us all.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Good lord, you can think the hoverboards are stupid without being a luddite. Because seriously, they're loving stupid and dangerous.

If you want to get around easily and not constantly be at risk of falling and killing yourself, make one of these:

FistOfTacitus
Oct 21, 2009
I think hoverboards are good because they're a new way for people to fall and hurt themselves, and since they're given as gifts, they're more likely to result in videos that I can watch in this thread. I can appreciate them as an innovation in schadenfreude without declaring where they fall on the iPhone-custom falcon perch spectrum.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

Gorilla Salad posted:

Good lord, you can think the hoverboards are stupid without being a luddite. Because seriously, they're loving stupid and dangerous.

If you want to get around easily and not constantly be at risk of falling and killing yourself, make one of these:

Oh yeah, a motor slapped on teeny tiny wheels that were not made for motorized speeds on a child's toy looks really safe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Gorilla Salad posted:

The irony in this post is that, years ago, the Razor-style mini-scooters were also crazy-popular holiday gifts, and also caused shitloads of injuries and falls when people got out and used them for the first time:

Example:
http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2001-11-21/news/0111210139_1_riding-scooters-toys-toy-related-injuries

Obviously, scooters had been around forever but the razors were way more unstable as they were initially hyped for tricks and whatnot. Nowadays they seem pretty ubiquitous for kids.

fake edit: :corsair:

LogisticEarth has a new favorite as of 16:53 on Dec 27, 2015