Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

jivjov posted:

There was a hierarchy of canon:

G-Canon was the films and anything established by Lucas himself.

T-Canon was Clone Wars and other TV stuff that never actually materialized

C-Canon was the majority of books, novels, game plots, etc.

S-canon is a bunch of older stuff like the first run of Marvel comics, old RPG sourcebooks etc

N-canon was the only Non Canon stuff, including deliberately non canonical stuff like What If stories, as well as things that got de canonized.

Things were canonical until such time as something higher up the hierarchy invalidated it.

oh my god whoooooo caaaaaaaaaaaaaares

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Recoome posted:

oh my god whoooooo caaaaaaaaaaaaaares

A bunch of people? why do you ask?

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

jivjov posted:

There was a hierarchy of canon:

G-Canon was the films and anything established by Lucas himself.

T-Canon was Clone Wars and other TV stuff that never actually materialized

C-Canon was the majority of books, novels, game plots, etc.

S-canon is a bunch of older stuff like the first run of Marvel comics, old RPG sourcebooks etc

N-canon was the only Non Canon stuff, including deliberately non canonical stuff like What If stories, as well as things that got de canonized.

Things were canonical until such time as something higher up the hierarchy invalidated it.

Is there any reasoning behind the order of those letters?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Ugleb posted:

Is there any reasoning behind the order of those letters?

It's apparently

G-Canon = George
T-Canon = Television
C-Canon = Continuity (basically everything after Heir to the Empire, right?)
S-Canon = ... Secondary (basically everything before Heir to the Empire, right?)
N-Canon = Non-Canon

Basically it's all kinda bullshit anyway.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Am I the only one who remembers how dark the opening to the 2nd ewok movie was?

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

bunnyofdoom posted:

Am I the only one who remembers ... the 2nd ewok movie...?

yes

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

bunnyofdoom posted:

Am I the only one who remembers how dark the opening to the 2nd ewok movie was?

Considering I never even knew there was a first ewoks movie, I'm going to go with "yes".

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
It opens with the ewok village being massacred and the cute little girl protagonist watching her entire family gunned down in front of her....

It also features Wilford Brimley!

EDIT: This isn't the EU thing that makes you cringe thread.....

So, Armada, if I wanna start and not be super poor, after the starter set what should I get for the ole rebs?

bunnyofdoom fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Dec 27, 2015

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Pittsburgh is stored in the balls.

For rebels? Get an Assault Frigate. With just an Assault Frigate, and the core, you can put together a decent 300 point list.

Then just expand out until you have at least one of everything.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

bunnyofdoom posted:

So, Armada, if I wanna start and not be super poor, after the starter set what should I get for the ole rebs?

Depends on how many points you want to play at. Playing with just the core set is recommended at 180, with Core + Wave I is 300, Core + Waves I and II is now 400. To play at 180, you're already there. To get to 300, I'd get an Assault Frigate and the Rebel Fighters Pack. Making the Jump to 400 could be done with any one of an MC-80, another Assault Frigate, or a mix and match of any two of the Corvette, Nebulon-B, MC-30, or the Rogues & Bounty Hunters Pack, or another copy of the the Rebel Fighters Pack.

Also, to keep the drain down, compare the prices between Miniature Market, Amazon (especially if you get free shipping through Prime), and eBay. Depending on various sales, any one of them may be the cheapest at any given moment. My brother got a lot of ships way discounted during the Miniature Market Black Friday Sale, while I had a lot of luck with Amazon Prime right before Christmas. eBay is, of course, always a crap shoot, but can occasionally have a worthwhile deal on it.

EDIT:

Val Helmethead posted:

For rebels? Get an Assault Frigate. With just an Assault Frigate, and the core, you can put together a decent 300 point list.

Then just expand out until you have at least one of everything.

While this is true that you can get to 300 with just the Assault Frigate, adding the Rebel Fighters pack gives you a LOT of flexibility. Luke and some X-Wings are decent, but throwing in all the fighter types in the RFP gives you way more choices for only ~$15 (depending on where you shop).

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Dec 27, 2015

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Similarly I just got the Armada starter set for half off thanks to Amazon, what would be the Imperial recommendations to expand my collection of tiny, big spaceships.

Also I dunno if they still check this thread but I saw someone post earlier about how they are in the KC area, and if so, any good flgs shops? I'm a terrible goon and bad at meeting people but I'd like to actually play with my tiny big spaceships too. :ohdear:

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

With imperials the easiest way to expand is the same as the rebels - buy the wave one stuff you don't have. A gladiator and the imperial fighters pack will give you a good base, and even though gladiators aren't the be all and end all ships they were, they're still great and they contain a shed load of good upgrade cards. The fighters pack again adds loads of flexibility and is generally good fun too.

Getting to 400 from there could be as simple as just picking up the Imperial SD (because let's be honest who doesn't want it), or it could be using the rogues and raider to supplement your existing list.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Does the VGG list still hold up at all?

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

Kilo147 posted:

Does the VGG list still hold up at all?

Nope. In a 400 point environment, something like that will get clobbered easily. If you're only running three ships, and one isn't your faction's large ship, you're gonna get beaten down quite handily nowadays I think.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Reynold posted:

Nope. In a 400 point environment, something like that will get clobbered easily. If you're only running three ships, and one isn't your faction's large ship, you're gonna get beaten down quite handily nowadays I think.

Well that's poo poo. I don't want an ISD, I want my goddamn Victory and Gladiators. What about non 400 point environments?

susan
Jan 14, 2013

Kilo147 posted:

Well that's poo poo. I don't want an ISD, I want my goddamn Victory and Gladiators. What about non 400 point environments?

It's still fine at 300, and it will be fine as a core at 400, it just needs another 100pts of ship, like another VSD or something.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

VVGG is what I've been playing casually for a while and it still works, you just cannot let one of the big wave two ships get a bead on both gladiators (or both victories) at once.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

lenoon posted:

With imperials the easiest way to expand is the same as the rebels - buy the wave one stuff you don't have. A gladiator and the imperial fighters pack will give you a good base, and even though gladiators aren't the be all and end all ships they were, they're still great and they contain a shed load of good upgrade cards. The fighters pack again adds loads of flexibility and is generally good fun too.

Getting to 400 from there could be as simple as just picking up the Imperial SD (because let's be honest who doesn't want it), or it could be using the rogues and raider to supplement your existing list.

Ah so just grab one of every ship on my faction? That sounds reasonable enough. And why play Imp if you don't want the big ships? Someone posted a link to this site for a sale of Victory's http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/210100 would it be worth picking up another at that 25$ price tag?
E: oh my it seems they have a sale on everything, but glads and fighters are out of stock.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

I like my second victory but I don't think the cards and such are worth it to be honest now that wave 2 is out. Kind of think you're better off having one of each than two victories and missing out on some other ship.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

lenoon posted:

I like my second victory but I don't think the cards and such are worth it to be honest now that wave 2 is out. Kind of think you're better off having one of each than two victories and missing out on some other ship.

Ah, shame they are out of stock on the gladiator and fighters, though with being able to get a raider and an ISD for $50 I am very tempted.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Kilo147 posted:

I don't want an ISD

That does not compute. I'm considering getting a second ISD just so I can run a "double deuce" list because who doesn't love giant loving star destroyers I don't even understand

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Finster Dexter posted:

That does not compute. I'm considering getting a second ISD just so I can run a "double deuce" list because who doesn't love giant loving star destroyers I don't even understand

Other ships exist to give you more fitting-out options for your ISD.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Finster Dexter posted:

Due to a complete lack of restraint or understanding of how things work, I have 5 VSDs. And I want to run them together.

I can run them all as I's and have 25 points left over to put turbolasers on them all :v:

It was on sale. I'm actually saving money.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

You still need an admiral, so you can fit like 5 of them and motti and that leaves you with 11 points.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

What kind of storage solutions are you folks using for ISDs? I'm already eying options for storing the Core+Gladiator+Assault Frigate+squadrons+Hero/Villain that won't cost more than what I paid for the ships themselves. The Victory in particular has a lot of tiny breakable antennas to worry about.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

What kind of storage solutions are you folks using for ISDs? I'm already eying options for storing the Core+Gladiator+Assault Frigate+squadrons+Hero/Villain that won't cost more than what I paid for the ships themselves. The Victory in particular has a lot of tiny breakable antennas to worry about.

A friend of mine is very happy with his Feldherr products designed for it

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Due to a complete lack of restraint or understanding of how things work, I have 5 VSDs. And I want to run them together.

I can run them all as I's and have 25 points left over to put turbolasers on them all :v:

It was on sale. I'm actually saving money.

Drop that lot down on the table and watch your opponents face try to make sense of what his brain is going through.

5 vsd's is a lot of wedge shaped death to deal with.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

signalnoise posted:

A friend of mine is very happy with his Feldherr products designed for it

Awesome! I'd just been looking at Feldherr's stuff on Amazon, but it looks like I'll just buy direct from them now that they have free shipping to the US and Wave 2 foam on their site. I kind of wish that the foam wasn't always designed for 2x victory, 2x gladiator, 2x ISD since I'm not crazy enough (yet) to have multiples)

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
Pimping out this storage solution again: works like a dream for me, but a little more effort than the custom-molded foam.

FishFood posted:

That might have been me, I got a bunch of stuff like this and it was considerably cheaper than any of the battlefoam or whatever. Customizable, too!

FishFood posted:

I just got this bag which fits a good bunch of them nicely. Convenient if you play multiple minis games, so you can keep a bunch of the trays in a box at home and just take what you need to play. I'm very happy with the system.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Ugleb posted:

Drop that lot down on the table and watch your opponents face try to make sense of what his brain is going through.

5 vsd's is a lot of wedge shaped death to deal with.

I'm looking forward to wave 4 when I can field 8 of them, and then my options will really open up.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Keeping the shell cases for the ships works for me. Two VSDs carried to tourneys and I still have all my antennas.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Speaking of upcoming waves for Armada, have there even been any hints as to what they're going to release?

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

Eimi posted:

Similarly I just got the Armada starter set for half off thanks to Amazon, what would be the Imperial recommendations to expand my collection of tiny, big spaceships.

Also I dunno if they still check this thread but I saw someone post earlier about how they are in the KC area, and if so, any good flgs shops? I'm a terrible goon and bad at meeting people but I'd like to actually play with my tiny big spaceships too. :ohdear:

Probably was not me as I live in OKC now. But my old stomping grounds are as follows in KC. Tabletop games(OP), 31st century(olethe), And Game Cafe(Independence).

Man I miss KC.

Okc sucks for shops. So I just bought a geek chic table and play on that with my armada group.

Pics of a game on said table.

https://goo.gl/photos/fDKypedJzPAYK8CA8

Kilazar fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Dec 29, 2015

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Tabletop Games is moving locations here in the next couple months, but they're big on the Armada. Game Cafe is run by reigning world Armada champion Jon Reinig, and also has a big group. The community is pretty fluid in going between stores based on geographic convenience and everybody shows up to all the tournaments. I've never actually been to 31st Century Games so I can't evaluate. Collector's Cache (also in Olathe) has some X-wing presence but I don't know about Armada. The Geekery off Shawnee Mission Parkway doesn't do much organized Armada stuff but if you post on the page that you're looking you'll probably find something.

Also look for the facebook group "KC Star Wars Armada" group. There are near 70 people in it and it's pretty active.

EDIT: Tabletop and Game Cafe are the only two in the KC metro area having Store Championships this year. Meta-Games Unlimited in Springfield and and Hometown Games in Lawrence are the other two within an hour and a half or so driving that will have Store Champs.

Strobe fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Dec 29, 2015

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Icon Of Sin posted:

Speaking of upcoming waves for Armada, have there even been any hints as to what they're going to release?
Nope, not even a hint and it's kind of worrying :(

susan
Jan 14, 2013
On the subject of Armada, I'm trying to think of a list to counter the Ackbar conga line of doom, and am thinking about this:

Fleet Summary Page (399 of 400 pts)
Faction: The Empire
Commander: Admiral Motti (24 pts)
Flagship: (132 pts) Imperial II-Class Star Destroyer (120 pts) Redundant Shields (8 pts) Leading Shots (4 pts)
Fleet Ship 1: (73 pts) Victory I-Class Star Destroyer (73 pts)
Fleet Ship 2: (73 pts) Victory I-Class Star Destroyer (73 pts)
Fleet Ship 3: (73 pts) Victory I-Class Star Destroyer (73 pts)
Squadrons (24 of 134 pts): 2x Tie Advanced Squadron (24 pts

Eh?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Strobe posted:

Tabletop Games is moving locations here in the next couple months, but they're big on the Armada. Game Cafe is run by reigning world Armada champion Jon Reinig, and also has a big group. The community is pretty fluid in going between stores based on geographic convenience and everybody shows up to all the tournaments. I've never actually been to 31st Century Games so I can't evaluate. Collector's Cache (also in Olathe) has some X-wing presence but I don't know about Armada. The Geekery off Shawnee Mission Parkway doesn't do much organized Armada stuff but if you post on the page that you're looking you'll probably find something.

Also look for the facebook group "KC Star Wars Armada" group. There are near 70 people in it and it's pretty active.

EDIT: Tabletop and Game Cafe are the only two in the KC metro area having Store Championships this year. Meta-Games Unlimited in Springfield and and Hometown Games in Lawrence are the other two within an hour and a half or so driving that will have Store Champs.

Ah nice. I was searching and Tabletop Games showed up, so I'll try and give em a visit, hopefully when the weather has cleared.

And I might not actually have a facebook. :v: But thanks for the suggestions!

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey there, cross-posting this from the x-wing thread, as this one is more appropriate for Armada-based questions:

Major Isoor posted:

Hey there, I couldn't find a dedicated thread for this, so I thought I'd ask in my favourite SW thread: What are good ships for both sides to get when starting out with Armada? As I was just given the starter/core set for it as a late Christmas present a couple of hours before flying overseas (haven't played it yet, but looking forward to it).

I know for x-wing "buy everything that looks cool" is good advice (but expensive - only missing a couple of non-epic ships, which I plan on fixing in the not-too-distant future), however I was wondering if there are particularly solid expansions that will find a lot of use in a variety of fleet compositions (sort of like the xwing ace packs I guess)

So yeah, thanks for any info! FFG are gonna empty my wallet in the new year with the new xwing packs and Armada, I can feel it..

(Oh also, anybody got any good storage suggestions for Armada? Since I don't think they'll fit very well into my current double-sided Plano case, if I were to buy a second. Hard to say though)

It does seem like there are some suggestions for the rebels already on this page though, so I'll have to keep an eye out when I'm next at the shop

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
I guess we were too tentacle-in-sarlaac for you in the other thread (mynock in exogorth? (Twi'lek in Rancor!)).

Proton torpedo level:
-Get a pack of the fighters for each faction and scoundrels. There's tons of fun stuff you can do changing out your fighter wings.
-Get an assault fishboat and a couple more corvettes for your Rebels
-Get a couple imperial raiders

At that point, the imps and the rebels will have a lot more options for playstyles

Concussion missile level:
- Get a couple Gladiators and a couple Cr90s. They add a light-weight long range bombardment element for rebels, and a high-speed element to imps
- Extra Nebulon Bs, packs of rebel/imperial fighters
- Extra assault fishboat and VSD

Tractor beam level:
- ISD and Home One
- Extra scoundrels so you can run vanilla by the named one as a duo

These guys' storage thing is the best storage thing:
https://www.feldherr.com/fuer/star-wars-armada/

This is totally fine:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaKvNuaq9JE

I have everything gently crammed into the two armada starter boxes. I am not particularly fastidious about broken antennas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Pittsburgh is stored in the balls.

A lone Armada starter box serves me well for taking a single list (or maybe 2) pre-made out to the game store for fun times. I run rebels, so I don't worry about VSD antenna. Besides, they've already broken

Everything else sits on a shelf (and now bleeding over into a 2nd shelf) on my book case of board games.

The other starter box holds all my "extra" things, like cardboard punchouts I haven't bothered to sort through, Imperial squadrons I haven't assembled, and extra unique cards that I don't want cluttering my stacks while I put lists together.