Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

It says it was upgraded with Teiwaz technology.

Also here is how the Gundam frame works with the Gusion

There's also (linked for spoilers) another unit:

http://i.imgur.com/TWEhZnJ.jpg

That's clearly a Gundam frame, yellow is associated with Teiwaz in the same way Tekkadan has red and Gjallarhorn has blue, and its face resembles a Hyakuren's. Either the Turbines are looting the Gusion, or their parent organisation has been keeping secrets from their new employees.

EDIT: On closer inspection, that definitely uses Gusion parts. Its back-plate has become a skirt, and its feet have become thrusters. Normally, I'd think it's an upgrade for the Barbatos, but the V-fin doesn't look right. Maybe this is the original form of the Gusion before the Brewers remodelled it? Alternatively, since the Kai is getting an upgrade, this may well be what Teiwaz's engineers made out of the agusion's wreckage after Mika and Akihiro were done with it. It appears to be carrying a modified Graze rifle, too, so this might be Akihiro's upgrade while someone else (Eugene or Norba?) gets the Kai. If that's the case, it's interesting that it has similar colours and a vaguely similar design to the Hyakuri - Naze might have to seriously decide how OK he is with adultery.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Dec 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Droyer posted:

New mech design revealed:

Looks like the kai's getting some upgrades

I enjoy this chompy dinosaur robot.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Darth Walrus posted:

That's clearly a Gundam frame, yellow is associated with Teiwaz in the same way Tekkadan has red and Gjallarhorn has blue, and its face resembles a Hyakuren's. Either the Turbines are looting the Gusion, or their parent organisation has been keeping secrets from their new employees.

EDIT: On closer inspection, that definitely uses Gusion parts. Its back-plate has become a skirt, and its feet have become thrusters. Normally, I'd think it's an upgrade for the Barbatos, but the V-fin doesn't look right. Maybe this is the original form of the Gusion before the Brewers remodelled it? Alternatively, since the Kai is getting an upgrade, this may well be what Teiwaz's engineers made out of the agusion's wreckage after Mika and Akihiro were done with it. It appears to be carrying a modified Graze rifle, too, so this might be Akihiro's upgrade while someone else (Eugene or Norba?) gets the Kai. If that's the case, it's interesting that it has similar colours and a vaguely similar design to the Hyakuri - Naze might have to seriously decide how OK he is with adultery.

That's just the uncoloured prototype casting as far as I can tell. It's the same beige that every prototype kit seems to be. I could be wrong though.

That and it looks more like the Barbatos got Gusion parts strapped on than a new Gundam design all together. Although I dare say it could just be something assembled from the Gusion's gundam frame, whatever bits of armour are left over and some spare's for the Barbatos (Assuming they sent some spares).

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

Bimmi posted:

This show really has some top-tier mecha design going on. Best in a long while for the franchise, for sure.

I wouldn't say best in a long while, but I will say the designs are very unique to the gundam universe and none of the suits have looked bad or out of place.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Sazabi posted:

I wouldn't say best in a long while, but I will say the designs are very unique to the gundam universe and none of the suits have looked bad or out of place.
I can see an argument being made for the Gusion looking out of place, but for the most part, yes you are right.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

AradoBalanga posted:

I can see an argument being made for the Gusion looking out of place, but for the most part, yes you are right.

The Gusion is basically a bigger, meaner Man Rodi (with Gundam bits in its innards). It does seem to fit fairly well, even if the hammer could have used a tougher-looking shaft to support that ginormous head.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The Gusion is like the missing link between mobile suit and mobile armor, and it's so badass.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

WickedHate posted:

The Gusion is like the missing link between mobile suit and mobile armor, and it's so badass.

http://gundam.wikia.com/wiki/MSN-04II_Nightingale

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

He said missing-link, not love child of the Alpha Azieur and Sazabi. Not that I would know anything about mecha waifus and shipping of said pairings.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Luminaflare posted:

That's just the uncoloured prototype casting as far as I can tell. It's the same beige that every prototype kit seems to be. I could be wrong though.

That and it looks more like the Barbatos got Gusion parts strapped on than a new Gundam design all together. Although I dare say it could just be something assembled from the Gusion's gundam frame, whatever bits of armour are left over and some spare's for the Barbatos (Assuming they sent some spares).

Uncoloured castings are grey, not beige. That one's clearly something approaching the final colours. I would think it was a Barbatos upgrade (the legs and chest plating borrow a lot from it), but the head is all wrong, and why's it using a modified Graze rifle when it has its own, better gun? Now remember that the Gusion's Gundam Frame is lacking its legs, and has had them replaced with shorter, stubbier Man Rodi ones, and that the Kai II has a new gun. That definitely looks like a combo of Gusion, Barbatos, and Graze Kai parts, not an upgrade for Mika's suit.

Next question - who's piloting it? The colours are similar to Lafter's Hyakuri, and the huge thrusters and big gun fit her fighting style. That might imply she's flying it in Akihiro's memory (hence the gun), but the Kai II doesn't look particularly heavily modified (implying that it wasn't remodelled as a result of extensive, pilot-killing damage), Akihiro has a stronger emotional connection to the Gusion, and the Turbine girls don't have the Alaya-Vijnana systems that let them get the most out of Gundam Frames. I'd bet it's Akihiro's new machine, while another Tekkadan pilot gets the Kai II, but its parallels with the Hyakuri imply some real interesting things.

Lanz
May 30, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

Uncoloured castings are grey, not beige. That one's clearly something approaching the final colours. I would think it was a Barbatos upgrade (the legs and chest plating borrow a lot from it), but the head is all wrong, and why's it using a modified Graze rifle when it has its own, better gun? Now remember that the Gusion's Gundam Frame is lacking its legs, and has had them replaced with shorter, stubbier Man Rodi ones, and that the Kai II has a new gun. That definitely looks like a combo of Gusion, Barbatos, and Graze Kai parts, not an upgrade for Mika's suit.

Next question - who's piloting it? The colours are similar to Lafter's Hyakuri, and the huge thrusters and big gun fit her fighting style. That might imply she's flying it in Akihiro's memory (hence the gun), but the Kai II doesn't look particularly heavily modified (implying that it wasn't remodelled as a result of extensive, pilot-killing damage), Akihiro has a stronger emotional connection to the Gusion, and the Turbine girls don't have the Alaya-Vijnana systems that let them get the most out of Gundam Frames. I'd bet it's Akihiro's new machine, while another Tekkadan pilot gets the Kai II, but its parallels with the Hyakuri imply some real interesting things.

looking at the above 1/100 Gusion, I don't think it's missing the legs [at least not the skeleton]; it looks like they just pulled the arms and legs off the torso section of the frame and then stuck them into new shoulders and hips that form the encapsulating frame of the unit. It's a little hard to tell with the leg joint given the scan quality, but it's got that same sort fo ball-joint of the Gundam frame on the right leg.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Lanz posted:

looking at the above 1/100 Gusion, I don't think it's missing the legs [at least not the skeleton]; it looks like they just pulled the arms and legs off the torso section of the frame and then stuck them into new shoulders and hips that form the encapsulating frame of the unit. It's a little hard to tell with the leg joint given the scan quality, but it's got that same sort fo ball-joint of the Gundam frame on the right leg.

Look at a side-by-side comparison of the Barbatos and Gusion. The latter's legs are just too short to fit a whole Gundam Frame in them. I mean, poo poo, its hips come up to the Barbatos's knees.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Dec 25, 2015

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

This show is insanely good and brutal. I just shotgunned it over the last day and loved it.

Akihiko's had like two episodes in a row now where he almost got dusted before the credits. This show needs to quit scaring me like that.

Lanz
May 30, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

Look at a side-by-side comparison of the Barbatos and Gusion. The latter's legs are just too short to fit a whole Gundam Frame in them. I mean, poo poo, its hips come up to the Barbatos's knees.

huh, weird.

Maybe it's still got the thighs but everything from the knee down's been replaced?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Maybe every Gundam is unique, since they all have unique names, so they don't have to have exactly the same frame.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I keep forgetting the Gusion is a Gundam, a legendary frame in this universe. They really are pieces of poo poo that are just hard to kill.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Begemot posted:

Maybe every Gundam is unique, since they all have unique names, so they don't have to have exactly the same frame.

Nah, the supplementary info shows that it's the standardised frame that makes a Gundam a Gundam. All of them are built around this thing. The Gusion uses that too - as the 1/100 kit shows, it's just haphazardly mashed together with Man Rodi parts and extra armour plating. Hence its arms being longer than its legs, and the huge gap between the Gundam Frame's torso and shoulders.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

Begemot posted:

Sounds like the best guess, or at least some of the 72 gundams had unconventional frames. Cause Guison is noticeably wider than Barbatos Maybe the twin drive and core frame are standard and the rest is up to the individual gundam. Do we have a comparison photo of Barbatos and Kimaris? Also is it possible that a fourth gundam will appear before the shows end?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Tae posted:

I keep forgetting the Gusion is a Gundam, a legendary frame in this universe. They really are pieces of poo poo that are just hard to kill.

Hey, don't forget that their huge reactor output makes them monstrously strong and alarmingly fast, even when they're as bodged-together as the Gusion or as old and rusted as the Barbatos. The Kimaris, a Gundam frame with Gjallarhorn's industrial/technological might behind it, is going to be loving scary.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Sazabi posted:

Sounds like the best guess, or at least some of the 72 gundams had unconventional frames. Cause Guison is noticeably wider than Barbatos Maybe the twin drive and core frame are standard and the rest is up to the individual gundam. Do we have a comparison photo of Barbatos and Kimaris? Also is it possible that a fourth gundam will appear before the shows end?

Scale is a little off, but it clearly shows they have the same proportions underneath their armour. It's easy to see them being built off identical frames.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Erg posted:

Akihiko's had like two episodes in a row now where he almost got dusted before the credits. This show needs to quit scaring me like that.

They've been great at making each battle really feel like anyone could get popped at any second.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

jackhunter64 posted:

They've been great at making each battle really feel like anyone could get popped at any second.

Literally. Like a balloon filled with ketchup.

The weapons in this show are downright alarming.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I am honestly a little disappointed they went for the cockpit cut-ins in the last episode if just because I found the complete lack of them genuinely unnerving, but I guess they had to emphasize who got Mika'd considering all the robots look identical and it's certainly unnerving in a different way.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

ImpAtom posted:

I am honestly a little disappointed they went for the cockpit cut-ins in the last episode if just because I found the complete lack of them genuinely unnerving, but I guess they had to emphasize who got Mika'd considering all the robots look identical and it's certainly unnerving in a different way.

While I agree that the simple finality of instant death with no fanfare like what happened to Coral is definitely very punchy, I felt that the contrast of Akihiro trying to talk Masahiro down interspersed with scenes of Masahiro's wingmen getting brutally slaughtered in terrible ways was extremely effective, especially with Masahiro's full on nihilist meltdown at the end there.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Some of the other characters have been cast for the dub. Information taken from ANN.

Atra: Cassandra Lee (cue the Kyubey jokes)
Eugene: Bryce Papenbrook
Akihiro: Doug Erholtz
McGillis: Steve Cannon (In his 4th Gundam role; first Gundam role that's not a protagonist)
Gaelio: Robbie Daymond
Ein: Max Mittelman
Norba: Lucien Dodge
Takaki: Zach Aguilar
Yamagi: Griffin Burns
Ride: Amanda Miller

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
That certainly was...a lot in the episode.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jesus christ, Mika.

The show honestly has me genuinely worried about Mika at this point. He's got to be heading for some kinda breakdown with the mix of his casual killing and the way it really does seem to be getting to him.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Turbines are good people.

LeadSled
Jan 7, 2008

Well, that might be the darkest 5 minutes to start off any Gundam that I can remember, goddamn.

"I'm starting to like killing? Eh, whatev." Mikazuki, that is not the attitude you want to have, man.

LeadSled fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Dec 27, 2015

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Fuuuuuuck. :eyepop:

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
When Mika snaps it will not be pretty. Like lightning breaking a tree in half... the question is no longer if, but when.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Yep, looks like that Barbatos/Kai/Gusion kitbash is going to be Akihiro's after all. And sweet holy hell, that was an emotional rollercoaster.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Mika's finger twitching in the short flashback. Such a nice and dark detail.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
I love how this show continues to, well, show just how truly hosed up its world is.

I mean, in order:
Kids defending the ship that enslaved them because they know nothing else.
Mika just rolling with the idea he's starting to enjoy killing.
A child comparing herself to grown women because of her family's insistence on an arranged marriage.
Honouring the dead is apparently a foreign concept on Mars (or at least to Tekkadan).

Also dat ending. :3: Next episode is gonna be 'fun' for sure.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Astro Nut posted:

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine
Watching Mika dispassionately kill people is the greatest thing about this show.

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009
Mika is my favorite Gundam protagonist.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

So much :gonk: and :kimchi: in this episode holy poo poo

I really liked that some of the Brewers kids survived. Orga is a natural-born leader, turning their own Human Debris identity into something they could be welcomed for instead of hated. And he's still just a kid himself, in the end. gently caress.

Also "Atra, you have no boobs."

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

korrandark posted:

Mika is my favorite Gundam protagonist.

Yeah, he's honestly become mine too. Bad as this sounds a lot of it comes from how different he is to almost anyone else. There are so few Gundam protagonist clichés going on with him and its great. He's such a contrast to the attempted pacifists other characters try to be. Between that and his small bursts of emotion helping build who he is, it's been a neat ride with him.

Astro Nut posted:

Yeah. So what I'm curious about is either that was either a data pad speaking to Turbine or just one on their ship. Really don't want Naze to be a traitor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
I think Mika found his own method for cooling down post-kill, just like Naze!

• Locked thread