Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

This is the gayest thread and I would not have it any other way :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Seriously guys, ever change. I love this LP and the nerds that make it

Grace
Dec 18, 2015

C'MON SOMETHING AWFUL LETS GET SICK'NIIIIIING

Larryb posted:

Speaking of which, do you guys plan on covering Metal Gear Rising at some point in the thread or will it be mainly the Solid games and maybe the original two as a stream at some point?

we're definitely going to do Rising, I already told Dan I want to see it. He says he's garbage at it though but he says that about every game and he's usually able to win them at least.

we haven't talked about the first two games I think, but they'll probably be hellstreams maybe? Maybe i'll get to guest star this time? who knows. I think we did talk about how they're included in one of the HD ports we played already.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Danaru posted:

Oh poo poo, I totally forgot to post these links:

Potato Story

Lenny Loosejocks

man the ancient internet was loving weird.

Tell me about it.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Grace posted:

we haven't talked about the first two games I think, but they'll probably be hellstreams maybe? Maybe i'll get to guest star this time? who knows.

Why don't we have a Harpystream where you endlessly caw and screech at people for not being able to read your mind when you refuse to mention you want to be a part of something oh wait my life has just been an eight year endless Harpystream good yeah best thing

Also yeah, the originals as well as the NES games are on the list. Portable ops is too, as well as the Acid games. Just assume they're all on there unless I mention it specifically

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Danaru posted:

Also yeah, the originals as well as the NES games are on the list. Portable ops is too, as well as the Acid games. Just assume they're all on there unless I mention it specifically

Considering early on a lot of those were in the "undecided" pile, this brings me great joy. The original Metal Gear is short enough, I wouldn't worry even if it were a hellstream. Like the only time consuming part is juggling keycards on the unlabeled doors. And the tank boss. gently caress that tank.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.
You guys also watch Die Hard 1-2 on Christmas Eve?

Does Grace have a sister? Because you're picture perfect! :allears:

Dan, I can only hope you know how lucky you're that Grace likes Die Hard on Christmas! :ocelot:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play MGS2 Substance Episode 6 - Jewish Christmas

I start getting real salty about ninja Raiden's bullshit in this episode. We get a 'fun' surprise when we get to bomb disposal.

Also for the record I did excellently during college until it came to the run. :colbert:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Cock rings aren't hard to get off. And yes I know from experience. I did not know they were sold at CVS, though.

And yes, Japnaese crossdressing is awesome.

Grace
Dec 18, 2015

Kal-L posted:

You guys also watch Die Hard 1-2 on Christmas Eve?

Does Grace have a sister? Because you're picture perfect! :allears:

Dan, I can only hope you know how lucky you're that Grace likes Die Hard on Christmas! :ocelot:

I only have a little brother who's decidedly not as cute as me xoxo

Nyagato
Apr 6, 2009
Are we talking about cool japanese crossdressing in this thread now?

The Takarazuka Theater of Hyogo prefecture japan turned 100 years last year and has all that time been doing plays with just female actors.

We also have kabuki that started around the 1600s with only female cast and then 30 years later changed to only male casts and playing a female character as a guy was turned into an artform.
Japan has an interesting history of crossdressing.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

It's not going to be so many paragraphs long, but I'll still try to avoid the offending letters. (I almost said the number between five and seven and fell into your devious trap!)

The reason I was chomping at the bit for this game was because Dan said he'd do "every" game in the series, and everyone constantly goes "oh, here's all the MGS games...I'll take a look at VR Missions and then completely ignore Substance". I had a lot of fun playing it myself and think it does a lot of things better than the previous game, and I think it needs more exposure. That said, one thing it does NOT do well is the HF Blade, as Dan repeatedly has proven. Luckily we're just one and a half modes away til being done with ninja Raiden. (sorry guys, this is uh, kinda a long game. A lot longer than VRM). The fact that we're apparently quickly approaching Naked Dan is not helping this unreliability in the engine. Also, legs. And poop.

Unrelated, I do agree that it got really weird once companies like Trojan and Durex started selling sex toys in pharmacies. Regarding cockrings, I always have to stop and think for a second because instead of those o-ring type rubber enhancements, my brain automatically like, goes to piercings and I reflexively cross my legs in pain.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Choco1980 posted:

and I think it needs more exposure.

BANNED FROM THREAD

In all seriousness, aside from HOO BOY SENSOR B BOMB WAS A NICE SURPRISE Substance is super solid, also I promise we get to Snake by episode 9 so there won't be dozens of episodes of me getting blown up constantly.

It's uh, it's going to get weird, but we DO get past it.

also the no z or x thing is an undertale joke

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Oh goddrat it... :eng99:

There goes my writing minor in shame...

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
While I really like listening to you two, the substance videos themself are remarkably boring. How many more of those are there?

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Air is lava! posted:

While I really like listening to you two, the substance videos themself are remarkably boring.

Just do what I do and play MGSV while listening to the videos.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
We currently have three episodes left, after that there might be a lull in videos for a bit. Things have been working out super poorly recently regarding schedules among other things. I'd like to start Peace Walker next chance we get to record, but I honestly can't promise anything either way. Both Peace Walker and Substance will be finished, it's just a matter of when.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Air is lava! posted:

While I really like listening to you two, the substance videos themself are remarkably boring. How many more of those are there?

The problem is how much recycling there is in the game. Like, I think we've seen the same gurlukovich-patroled maps at least 4 times so far this playthrough. And we haven't even gotten to the Snake modes yet (luckily the final Raiden mode is short). There are a LOT of repeats among the nearly 500 missions in the game. There is a bit of variety missions I still want to see though, and I hope that Dan's non-reading attitude doesn't end up meaning just skipping through Snake Tales, where all the dialogue is printed, not spoken, because those stories are great. Especially the insane last one.

Also fun fact about the most recent video where Grace noticed that there was a tranquilizer setting on the katana that Dan NEVER uses. If you stab with it, it still kills! This can totally mess you up on no-kill runs.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
My sympathies for "sometimes impaling them kills them, sometimes it doesn't. have fun!" cause that kind of thing always catches me off guard no matter how many times it happens to me.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Choco1980 posted:

There is a bit of variety missions I still want to see though, and I hope that Dan's non-reading attitude doesn't end up meaning just skipping through Snake Tales, where all the dialogue is printed, not spoken, because those stories are great. Especially the insane last one.[quote]

This statement suggests that the other Snake Tales are somehow more sane, or lie somewhere with the bounds of sanity. This is not correct.

[quote="Choco1980" post="454048406"]Also fun fact about the most recent video where Grace noticed that there was a tranquilizer setting on the katana that Dan NEVER uses. If you stab with it, it still kills! This can totally mess you up on no-kill runs.

gently caress the loving HF-Blade forever.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play MGS2 Substance Episode 7 - No, Actually

I want to know who put that loving camera on the bomb in Strut B. I want to meet the kind of person who thinks that's okay.

Also this episode is around the 3 am mark, so the energy is draining a little.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I'm going to reiterate my statement that Dan teetering between liquid and naked state is a factor as to why there's so much difficulty here. That, and the fact that Ninja Raiden controls like total rear end. (speaking of, just wait til you see what the THIRD Raiden mode is! Don't worry, there's only ten levels for him). Also, gently caress whoever thought pixel-perfect bomb disposal was a good idea.

Also btw, Grace was right, that part of the stove is called a "hood".

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
I like how Dan keeps promising to edit things out and then doesn't.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

He vastly overestimates how offended goons will get over talk of buttsex.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I actually hate the Great Gatsby myself. When you build up your characters as reprehensible beings and then have them succeed way the gently caress over the one character who was supposed to be likable, it's no surprise that the audience cheers for the villainous group. Besides, Tom actually had his poo poo extremely together and basically played George and Gatsby like fiddles. When everyone else was such as passive, boring lump you can't help but admire the one guy who actually takes action. Even if it does mean cheering for the total douchebag whose plan goes through unrealistically well.
If Fitzgerald actually made the character contemptible by having him hang on his own philosophy instead of just punching a caricature, the book might actually be an indictment of rich people. I really don't get why the hell people like the book as much as they do.

Not to mention the book is slow as gently caress too.

To Kill a Mockingbird was legit good though.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Catching up on the episodes and I feel the need to reply to something.

Danaru posted:

Let's Play MGS2 Substance Episode 4 - Bisexual Velociraptor
Grace and I talk about JRPGs for like half the loving episode.

I am a long-time Tales of series fan and I don't like Zestiria, so I figured you might be interested in why. It has nothing to do with the Alicia switcheroo, I don't care about that at all. My main complaint about Zestiria is that battle-system wise it feels like it should be an evolution of Graces, but does everything worse than Graces. It's hard to put a finger on what exactly makes it so much worse but I think that's because it's a combination of many things. The biggest offender here is the Skill system, which is impossible to actually take advantage of without many many hours of grinding equipment drops. In Graces, you just constantly get new Titles and thus skills which makes your characters better and better. In Zestiria, getting a new skill nearly always is a trade-off, and not in a way like most other Tales games where you intentionally get rid of one skill you don't use much to equip another, but an effectively random one because the new equipment just happens to be for the slot that holds equipment with your other skill. The synthesizing doesn't help this much because it's hard to target specific skills, and as soon as you decide to upgrade your equipment you have to start from scratch. I also hate that combo length is now effectively fixed at 4 and increasing that is very hard/rare. Graces rewarded you for doing cool stuff in battle by refreshing your CC mid-combo and allowing you to combo more, Zestiria doesn't care because SC is a resource that rarely makes a difference in anything because it's for some reason separate from the combo length.

I'm clearly rambling so I'll keep myself short on the other stuff. The story goes nowhere, and it doesn't help that Malevolence as a concept is really strange. The characters are fine. The music is great thanks to Go Shiina. They actually have some interesting if perhaps annoying dungeon design for once. But ultimately, none of that can help the fact that I just don't enjoy Zestiria's combat due to constantly being reminded of how much more fun I would have beating up things in Graces.

Oh and you should try Xillia 2. It's weird and it took a while to click for me, but I ended up enjoying it a lot.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Okay, what is the Internet's obsession with making GBS threads on The Scarlet Letter? I did a whole thread on this on this very forum and I still don't get it. It's a very short book about a woman saying gently caress you to a bunch of Puritan pricks. That's it. It's about strength and not being cowed by society. You think more people in this liberal age would appreciate that. That they would appreciate a novel about feminism and individualism but I guess not.

Grrrr.

And yes, To Kill A Mockingbird is awesome.

Hrvstmn31
Aug 2, 2014

You did what in your cup?

NikkolasKing posted:

Okay, what is the Internet's obsession with making GBS threads on The Scarlet Letter? I did a whole thread on this on this very forum and I still don't get it. It's a very short book about a woman saying gently caress you to a bunch of Puritan pricks. That's it. It's about strength and not being cowed by society. You think more people in this liberal age would appreciate that. That they would appreciate a novel about feminism and individualism but I guess not.

Grrrr.

I read both The Scarlet Letter and The Witch of Blackbird Pond back in what middle school? And I remember liking both. I'm not sure why they wouldn't like the Scarlet Letter can you link to the thread so I can see the bs ensue?

Edit: Also all hail bomb mode!

Hrvstmn31 fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Dec 22, 2015

Grace
Dec 18, 2015

NikkolasKing posted:

Grrrr.

For me, the issue with The Scarlet Letter is Hawthorne's prose period. I'm just not a fan of the way he writes his sentences. They meander on and on without getting to a point. It's sorta my problem with American Romanticism period, but Hawthrone was really bad about it. I didn't like The House of Seven Gables either because of the same reason. Although I do love me some "Young Goodman Brown." Maybe he's just better in short doses than in full.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Hrvstmn31 posted:

I read both The Scarlet Letter and The Witch of Blackbird Pond back in what middle school? And I remember liking both. I'm not sure why they wouldn't like the Scarlet Letter can you link to the thread so I can see the bs ensue?

Edit: Also all hail bomb mode!

Here ya go. I post on a lot of forums and I made that thread in response to the fact there are so many people across all of them that I've met who say they absolutely hated TSL.

Grace posted:

For me, the issue with The Scarlet Letter is Hawthorne's prose period. I'm just not a fan of the way he writes his sentences. They meander on and on without getting to a point. It's sorta my problem with American Romanticism period, but Hawthrone was really bad about it. I didn't like The House of Seven Gables either because of the same reason. Although I do love me some "Young Goodman Brown." Maybe he's just better in short doses than in full.

That is a more constructive criticism than I've typically seen for the book and I can understand that.

I welcome more Lit Talk in future videos. This is a nice turn of events.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Regarding Tales of Chat, I just want to point out that Grace was the one playing Zestiria at the time, and his combat style was Armatize then button mash, then yell at me if it didn't work. Also he skipped Lailah explaining item skills literally every time she mentioned it.

Grace posted:

Oh god here we go

Danaru fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Dec 22, 2015

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play MGS2 Substance Episode 8 - The Raiden Mega Episode ft. Surprise Guest

So just a heads up, for a, uh, unspecified part of this level, we lost sound because OSB forgot how to listen to it. I fixed it for the most part but I also got slightly liberal with it. You probably won't notice. The footage is a little laggy during that section too but also who cares.

One more episode of Substance left for now, we should be recording the first session of Peace Walker on new years eve!

Danaru fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Dec 26, 2015

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Did they improve the controls in the DX version of R? Cause I remember me and my friend clearing it no problem, other than the chaos emerald bs.

Sonic The Fighters is a thing. It had a p :krad: soundtrack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzN4_tulAb4
also it had 3 original characters and 8 chaos emeralds. It wasn't super good, but it was an interesting curiosity.

pick-e
Aug 10, 2014
Finally decided to stop playing video games and resume watching other people do so, meaning I'm now caught up with this... trainwreck? What happened, you blew through VR Missions with its "aged controls/mechanics" like nobodies business. :confused: Granted, Ninja Raiden modes seem pretty crappy instead of pretty great ala VRM's Ninja Mode. Does fully clearing Substance net you anything? Or is this just a "play through all of these rehashed stages because it's fun! ...mostly."?

While it's true nobody controls in Sonic R, I'll still defend it as being a fun game once you get used to the controls and learn the tracks. And yes you can drift. I'd forgotten the Chaos Emerald gently caress you screen, that's great. Also this thread has now been cursed by Tails Doll.

You definitely don't want to play Traveller's Tales other Sonic game, Sonic 3D Blast. I tried playing it recently and felt like I was going to puke not very long into it.

pick-e fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Dec 26, 2015

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
Haha what was with evil ASGORE at 16:35 or so.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Weird BIAS posted:

Haha what was with evil ASGORE at 16:35 or so.

pick-e posted:

You definitely don't want to play Traveller's Tales other Sonic game, Sonic 3D Blast. I tried playing it recently and felt like I was going to puke not very long into it.

After playing Sonic R I can't imagine Traveller's Tales making a nauseating Sonic game :v: also what the gently caress I just looked it up and Traveller's Tales made all the Lego movie games.

As for Substance, it's a lot better than I make it look. Spoilers, I'm not breaking that pattern with the next episode.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play MGS2 Substance Episode 9 - That One Where Grace Is Sick

Grace insisted on recording despite being sick, then later yelled at me for making him record while sick, then passed out for like 16 hours and afterwards kept apologizing for not recording anything.

Grace is cool

EDIT: Just a heads up, I'm going to off-screen the sneaking/weapons mode repeat missions because dang some of these missions we've seen four times now and it's getting difficult for us to be funny about it too. We'll be getting to the actually fun missions sooner, like we did with VR Missions :v: With that said, the next episode should be the Peace Walker premiere.

Danaru fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Dec 27, 2015

Grace
Dec 18, 2015

Danaru posted:

Let's Play MGS2 Substance Episode 9 - That One Where Grace Is Sick

Grace insisted on recording despite being sick, then later yelled at me for making him record while sick, then passed out for like 16 hours and afterwards kept apologizing for not recording anything.

Grace is cool

I'm being slandered I tried my best and I'm never appreciated everyone send hate mail to Dan

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Traveller's Tales made all the Lego <franchise> games and my experience suggests they can't bugtest for poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Besides that, they mostly did licensed showelware. They also made an agressively mediocre, but still fun 3d action platformer called "Haven, Call of the king". That obscure game will forever stay in my memory because it has the worst ending of any game I have ever played. It's not quite "next life"-bad, but "you think you won? Well how about I kick you in the balls and laugh at you instead."-bad.
I really want to see someone LP that stupid game one day.