Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
Big Daddy V's definitely counting down the days until Free Agency :v: I'm glad the Braves are awful in this universe, I just wanna go off to greener pastures!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

JosefStalinator posted:

Doh! So many dudes to create, I made a few mistakes on minor stuff like birthplace. Would you like me to change it or is it part of his ~~narrative~~ now?

It's okay. Can his nickname get changed to the Polish Sausage?

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!
Squires' been listed without a team for the past 2 seasons. Is he a Free Agent or a Retiree?

Idiot Wind
Sep 10, 2007

We hope anyone sees you again...

thisusedyet posted:

Squires' been listed without a team for the past 2 seasons. Is he a Free Agent or a Retiree?

Ditto for Sud, though somehow he won an award in the minors this season? Does he just get bounced around all season or signed for just a single year?

E: Nevermind! Just checked his player page. It's got to be rough to keep signing single year minor league deals and bouncing around like that

Idiot Wind fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Dec 23, 2015

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
Alright, I have the player pages updated now, with the minor problem that it wasn't updating retired players. I'm going to try to figure out how to manually update the retired goon players, and failing that, I'll do the retired players later. There's quite a few so it may take a while!

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT
No need to worry for me. As long as I have SCRAP~!, I will somehow be in the majors, making life long fans pull out their hair at my overrated rear end.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

NutShellBill posted:

No need to worry for me. As long as I have SCRAP~!, I will somehow be in the majors, making life long fans pull out their hair at my overrated rear end.

Yeah I dunno if Hrenchuk is just getting bad rolls, is actually overrated, or just waiting to break out. There's a good chance he'll suddenly become good, especially if his ratings stay high enough.

I've also updated most (not all) of the player spreadsheet on the google doc, for those curious.

Things are going to slow down a bit because of Christmas - I have some family obligations and whatnot, but they'll pick back up and we should finish things shortly after Christmas!

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
2026 Season

We've now simmed a full 10 years, and some of you are entering (or already in) your 30's. We're probably past the halfway point in your goon careers, but some of you might hang on for some time, injuries permitting.

2026 Opening Day Status

Only two goons in the minors now, and a host of desperate free agents. If your rating isn't above 20, your career is probably done :(. I think Sud Belig or New Concept might find a home if they're lucky, but it's hard being a 30 year old in the minors.

Most goons are around 30 years old, and should be hitting their peaks. Just remember that your apex is also the beginning of your decline!

Jackson McGee is the only goon to make the news in the first half of the season, winning player of the week to continue yet another great season.

Why are goons so quiet? Are you aging? Or is it just a bit of a slow half a year?

2026 All Star Break

The All-Star game confirms the general quiet and mediocrity of the goons, as none of them are selected! This is the first time since 2019 that no goon was selected. In 2020 Chuck Johnson was the first, and someone's been there ever since, until 2026 :(.

MLB All Star Break Stats

Batting

The stats don't seem to support the mediocrity argument, at least not universally. Raul Ordonez is just criminally underrated, again, leading the goons in dingers, average, OPS+, and WAR at the half. Krusty puts up a good showing with his on base numbers, but only two other goons top 2 war among the batters, Nelson Frazier and Jackson McGee.

Chuck Johnson is really struggling, continuing his ATT park woes, along with perennial loser Bill Hrenchuk. At least they both have job security in their long contracts, but I'd be a bit concerned by free agency if I was Hrenchuk.

I'm a bit disappointed at how teams are under utilizing O'Goku, Callahan, MacGregor,and Bissel. O'Goku has somehow been relegated BACK to the bench, despite keeping up his offensive and defensive numbers, simply because the White Sox called up their 80 potential rated catcher prospect. Why O'Goku seems to face constant threats to starting, despite playing one of the rarest and most valued positions in baseball, is beyond me. It's almost as mysterious as the Blue Jays preferring Jake ".215 average" Lamb at third base over Simon Macgregor. :psyduck:

At least New Concept spent some time this season in Milwaukee, even if he got demoted again to AAA. He's still got a shot!

Pitching

A bit of a disappointing first half for most of our pitchers. Hardslab is still good but puts up a mediocre ERA, and Iroth and Hockles put up poor ERA's over a small sample.

More encouraging, however, is Moosejaw's role as closer! It's still sort of a closer by committee situation in Houston, but Hockles is getting quite a few opportunities. I'm worried that he's not performing as well as he should, but he's got only one less save than Bukowski, so maybe he's on a long leash.

Bukowski, of course, continues to do well. He seems to have taken to his role on the Mets, his childhood team, and is running away with it just as we expected.

So little is happening among the goons, that I am forced to talk about Sam Booty's great play in AAA. Sam Booty is officially the AAAA player of the goons - every season he gets called up to the Padres and struggles tremendously, only to be promoted to AAA where he wins awards and does well. Maybe he can just be a lifetime minor leaguer.

Aaaand, right after I say that, Booty gets suspended for arguing with and touching an ump :downs:

Bill Hrencuk continues to suck and misses 2 weeks to an ankle injury.

Frostolfur managed to make it into the news after a fight between him and Pittsburgh pitcher Lewis Thorpe. He's put up decent power numbers this year, and looks to be St Louis' starting first baseman, surviving the great DH Holocaust. The best fans in baseball quickly defended his actions on twitter following the game.

Raul Ordonez is strong, and is having a career year. A shame he signed a contract for four years last season, as the Rangers are getting quite the bargain so far.

While Raul is having a career year, Krusty is having a lost year. That's nto entirely fair as he's still a great player, but this is definitely the worst year of his career. I think it's too early to call it a decline, I predict a bounce back next season.

2026 Regular Season Standings

The season ends, with a pretty hilarious NL East. The nationals finish with the best record in baseball, and are a full 22 games ahead of the second place Mets :eyepop: Little changes, as the historically hapless franchises remain so.

There's ample goon potential this playoff season. Jackson McGee is ready to lead his franchise and hopefully secure the first Texas WS ring; the same goal as the Ranger's Ordonez. Moosejaw may play a lesser role, but has half of the Astro's saves, so he will see appearances in clutch situations in the postseason.

In the NL, Chuck Johnson and the Giants are making an even year run, and is somehow the only goon in the NL to see the playoffs.

Johnson and Ordonez both enter the post-season with a "hot" modifier!

2026 Playoff Results

Wild Card Series

Moosejaw sees no action as his Astros dispatch the Royals, and the Dodgers cruelly crush Memphis' dreams at a playoff run.

Division Series

Houston v Baltimore

Moosejaw records two perfect innings in relief, but his team tanks, losing to Baltimore 3 games to 1.

Astros v Rangers

Jackson McGee is absolutely abysmal against the Rangers, reaching base only once despite appearing in every possible instance. Ordonez doesn't do a whole lot better, but it's enough, as the Rangers defeat the last other Texas team 3 games to 2. It was quite the series, with three games decided by one run, and was very much a pitcher's duel more often than not. Maybe that's what depressed their offense.

Giants v Reds

Chuck Johnson does serious work against the Reds in his limited at bats, as the Giants have a glut of good outfielders. Among them is the newest Giant, Mike Trout, who was finally freed of his Los Angeles prison in the final year of his contract (being paid 37 million dollars a year!) in exchange for a bunch of trash prospects from the Giants. They advance, defeating the Reds 3 to 2.

Championship Series

Chuck sucks in the NLCS, and with Mike Trout sucking as well, the Giants are trounced by the league win leader Nationals 4 to 2.

Ordonez isn't much better, but he's carried by his team, defeating the Orioles 4 games to 1 to win a trip to the WS.

World Seres

Raul Ordonez was no slouch in the World Series. He hit a game deciding home run in game 1, and hit another in game 6, to go along with his 3 other RBI's. But the fact that both home runs were solo shots should demonstrate his team's offensive inadequacy, and he, and the state of Texas, were again denied a World Series ring, falling 4 games to 2.

:rip: Texas.

2026 MLB Awards

NL MVP: Giancarlo Stanton
AL MVP: Carlos Cortes
NL Cy Young: Graeme Stinson
AL Cy Young: James Proctor

Other than Stanton's unexpected resurgence at 37 years old as dinger king, this is a bad year for goons. No awards, not even second or third place finishes. Nothing. :(

2026 Hall of Fame Results

No one gets into the hall this year, but we can see a few poised to get there. Ichiro better damned well get in, and will probably be joined by Beltre, Verlander, Cano, King Felix, and maybe Wainwright.

2026 Player Status

A few goons actually get to the majors despite all odds, and there are few (if any) retirements this year! More amazing is that Snart, Odor, and New Concept are still in the majors at year's end. Let's hope they stay come opening day.

Batting Stats

Raul Ordonez was by far the most valuable goon in 2026, edging out all the rest in both WAR and offensive production. There's not much more to say other than that he led goons in nearly every offensive category, and I really regret how little he's going to get paid for this effort.

Chuck Johnson gets an honorable mention for rallying in the second half of the season, and hitting 20 HR's as a lefty in ATT Park. On top of that, he's one of those rare power hitters who rarely strikes out and walks a lot, which is great, because you otherwise can't seem to get your average above .250.

Every one else was in varying degrees of mediocrity, aside from Hrenchuk, who continues to suck. Only 3 years left to fix your poo poo!

I also want to commend Leonard Snart, who took advantage of his only plate appearance in the majors this year to smack a double and later score. Congrats on your 728 ERA+! At this rate you'll be in the majors next year for sure, small sample size be damned!

Pitching Stats

Pitching was even worse than hitting for goons in 2026. Hardslab fell on hard times, well below average, and Iroth tumbled yet further and saw much less use than last season. Hockles enjoyed many save opportunities and capitalized, angling for a closer role, and Bukowski did what he could on the awful Mets, receiving only 36 save opportunities all season. Bleh.

Finances

O'Goku is a free agent this season, having finished his 7 million one year extension with the White Sox. Summarily replaced by a better prospect, I have little doubt he'll find a new home someplace else that needs a catcher. He's the top catcher on the free agent market actually, demanding 10 million a year.

Fostolfur signed away his arbitration years this year, as the cardinals offered him a measly 7.8 million for four years of play. Pretty sure he got ripped off on that one, I bet he could have made more from arbitration alone.

Next year Chuck Johnson becomes a free agent, and I really, really hope he signs elsewhere. He has the highest power rating of all goons (85) though tied with Krusty and Fostolfur, but ATT Park consistently caps him at about 20 dingers. He could easily hit 30+ in any other park. Maybe he'll even go home to Colorado!

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Bukowski is doomed to wander the league as a lost soul on aimless teams

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Great. All that trading and I end up a bench warmer. gently caress.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
My dude is 33, hasn't had a contract in 2 years, and is still not retired. He's an optimist.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

zakharov posted:

My dude is 33, hasn't had a contract in 2 years, and is still not retired. He's an optimist.

It happens. Freddy Sanchez just retired last week.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
That injury seriously killed my career, huh?

I'll always have those 10 games as a starting pitcher, I guess.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
C'mon O'Goku, bring daddy home some lettuce

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

My dude retired after a couple AAAA seasons as a defensive replacement, can I get in on the next draft?

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!
Dammit Junkyard; 'Not with a bang, but with a whimper' is not something you're supposed to aim for

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I like how I got traded to Seattle and my morale immediately plummeted to nothing.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
2027 Season

Last season was pretty lovely for the goons, and this one starts off even worse:

Jackson McGee tears his MCL in Spring Training, which is a very nasty injury. McGee may come out of the injury a bit slower than before, but more importantly, he's out for the entire season, only barely being ready for next year's Spring Training. Yikes.

Oh gently caress you Chuck Johnson, gently caress you. I'm a a huge Giants fan and I want them to win, but nothing makes me sadder than seeing your dinger potential completely and utterly wasted.

At least he's getting paid, and getting paid well. And it's only two years, so maybe there's hope after that.

It didn't make the news, but Ammat "The Ankh" O'Goku has a new team! He's getting paid 8 million a year for two years in Boston, which really isn't bad.

But because fate hates him, I do note the 80 potential catcher that Boston currently has in AAA. He's not ready for the majors yet, but I just know that O'Goku will be relegated back to the bench before his contract is up.

2027 Opening Day Status

We're at the point where the bottom half of goons is almost entirely retired, with the bizarre exception of Ex Odor, who is somehow on the Nationals roster. Which made me discover something - he actually won a WS ring last year! He only pitched 2.2 (awful) innings with Washington, but it definitely counts, so congrats Ex Odor!

All MLB goons are in their starting lineups again, except New Concept and Leonard Snart. Sud Belig and Sam Booty are staying alive in the minors. We may be about to see the end of the minor league goons, though we might see some of the current MLB goons head back down once they age.

Fostolfur was a bit slow in his development, but appears to finally have hit his stride. The Cardinals haven't been as lucky as in our world, but maybe they've finally found their man.

Krusty "C" Unts is doing better this year, but some nagging injuries are limiting his playing time.

2027 All Star Break

The goons are back! In the NL, at least. Mike Bukowski, Krusty Unts, and Nelson Frazier are all selected to the 2027 All-Star game! Frazier is a bit of a surprise as he's a newcomer to the All-Star game, but now your baseball reference page will have "All-Star" on it :).

MLB All Star Break Stats

Batting

Krusty Unts is back, bitches! Before getting hurt, he was on a 50 dinger pace, and is well ahead of all the other goons in power and hitting. Only Fostolfur comes close, but he seems to be turning into a more balanced hitter, leaning towards contact. Nelson Frazier seems just the opposite, but his 17 dingers at catcher are enough to win him an all-star selection.

Raul Ordonez is a bit disappointing after last season, and O'Goku is not impressing now that he's back in the starting role. The biggest disappointment at the half is Chuck Johnson, who, trapped in his San Francisco prison, is hovering below the Mendoza line. He also has more strikeouts than walks, which is distressing given his past performances.

Every time I look, Kirby Bissel is doing well, but never seems to be given the chance to start regularly. Is he the new O'Goku?

And congrats to Sam Booty for making the requisite MLB appearance to qualify as our AAAA goon.

Pitching

Rick Hardslab is back too! He's got a sub 3.00 ERA on the first half, with a sexy 10+ K/9. Bukowski's even better, with an unsustainable 1.81 ERA. Too bad he's on the God awful mets, so he really isn't seeing many save situations. I hope he gets traded.

Hockles is struggling and seems to be the setup guy, losing his part time closer spot. Iroth is barely holding on in the majors, but maybe he'll see more chances in the second half.

Hrenchuk and MacGregor, are you guys ever going to figure it out? :(

Rick Hardslab is again showing promise. This is good, as he's our only goon starting pitcher that didn't collapse for some reason.

Kirby Bissel is an Indian now! He's going to run away with a starting spot, and as a spoiler - he's batting third in their lineup, so I was right!

Harry Callahan fails a bit and is back in AAA, but at least he wins an award for it!

Okay Bill, let me tell you something. If the Padres didn't give you that albatross of a contract, you wouldn't even be in baseball, or at best would be struggling in AAA. Quit bitching, or get better at baseball.

Seth Iroth's troubles continue. What could have been if you hadn't been hurt? Another starter, maybe!

Rick Hardslab has us covered anyway. NL pitcher of the month! :woop:

Ordonez rallies at the end to recover for his poor first half performance. He ends up with a far more respectable .258 average.

2027 Regular Season Standings

A big shake up in playoff teams brings with it some good goon playoff possibilities.

Rick Hardslab will finally get to return to the playoffs since his 2022 Division Series MVP performance. Unts, another playoff veteran, will also appear, and hope the Cubs make it out of the WC game.

Raul Ordonez will make ANOTHER playoff appearance, again trying to break Texas' curse. Mike Bukowski's Mets rally later in the season to somehow make the playoffs!

And lastly, MacGregor may make some appearances with Toronto - just a shame he lost the starting role, again.

2027 Playoff Results

Wild Card Series

Ordonez and Unts both survive the wildcard, though they don't really contribute that much to it.

Division Series

Raul Ordonez does much better in the division series, but that doesn't stop the A's from sweeping them out of the playoffs.

Krusty barely improves, and as a result, the Cubs go down 3 games to 0, to give Memphis its first playoff series victory in franchise history.

MacGregor makes three uneventful appearances for Toronto, who advance past Detroit 3 games to 0. So many sweeps!

Rick Hardslab was made for the playoffs, and as a pitcher, his role is even more pivotal in a short series. The Diamondbacks deploy him in games 1 and 4 - and he does not disappoint.

Game 1 is a loss for Hardslab, but he did his best, pitching 7 innings of 2 run ball. But that's fine, as Bukowski sweeps in for the save :smug:

Hardslab gets his revenge in game 4, winning with a great 6 inning, one run performance. No save for Bukowski, and the Mets are elminated from the playoffs!

Championship Series

Toronto beats the A's 4 - 1 in the ALCS, and MacGregor contributes in his own small way.

More interesting is Hardslab's NLCS performance:

:wow: :drat:

Rick Hardslab only makes one appearance in the NLCS, but that's all he needs. He makes a rare and impressive complete game shutout playoff appearance. It was well timed too - he did it in game 3, and the Diamondbacks finish the series in game 6, allowing Rick some much needed rest before the World Series.

It also nets Hardslab his second playoff MVP award - NLCS MVP for 2027!

World Seres

Welp. Hardslab did his best - he ptched two great games, one for a win, and one for a loss (and the loss was actually the better pitched game). But it wasn't enough, as the Arizona offense was just too anemic to handle Toronto's effective pitching. Hardslab was close, but he will not get a World Series ring this year.

Congrats to Simon MacGregor though, as he and his Toronto Blue Jays win the 2027 World Series!

We actually get some news in, just before the awards:

Hrenchuk continues to agitate for a trade, as the poor relations between Hrenchuk and the Padres spawn rumors and trouble for all parties.

Fostolfur cooled off a bit in the second half, but his 30 dinger season ended with a trade from the Cardinals to the Miami Marlins. Whether this is a good or bad thing for his career remains to be seen.

2027 MLB Awards

AL MVP: Juan Organes
NL MVP: Krusty Unts! :woop:
AL Cy Young: Eduardo Jimenez
NL Cy Young: Victor Enriquez (Hardslab got 3rd place)
Golden Glove, RF: Krusty Unts

Congrats Krusty! We've seen this before - Krusty wins all the awards, and all other goons are silent. This is Krusty's second NL MVP award, his first coming in 2021 when he was but a young'n.

At least Hardslab got some recognition with the 3rd place in NL Cy Young voting, but it's always a shame to be so close.

2027 Hall of Fame Results

Miggy is understandably elected on his first ballot (having continued to do well after 2015 in this universe), alongside Adrian Beltre. Who thinks Beltre is somehow more deserving than Ichiro is beyond me, and I'm really starting to worry that Ichiro will be ignored.

2027 Player Status

Oh God, what happened here??

Moosejaw, and O'Goku are free agents again. Moosejaw simply finished his arbitration time, and the Astros didn't offer anything for his free agency years. O'Goku signed a 2 year deal with Boston but somehow only completed one year - did he get released by the club? It doesn't say, so it's likely that his two year contract had a second year conditional on either the team or O'Goku taking the option, or O'Goku meeting some criteria. Either way, he's a free agent again.

Quite a few more goons are falling in their ratings, and some very patient goons are still waiting in free agency. Props to Zak Harov, who actually has been briefly getting minor league appearances each year, only to quickly fizzle out in rookie ball. At 34 years old, he's awfully brave to keep it up.

Batting Stats

Kirby Bissel had a dominant second half, and might have outperformed Krusty if he had started the entire time. He's the big breakout this year, but Nelson Frazier, Ordonez, and Fostolfur all great seasons by the end.

Mediocrity among most of the other goons, but O'Goku had a dismal second half, and fell beyond Bill Hrenchuk, who recovered a bit, perhaps fueled by his rage against the Padres ownership. Chuck Johnson also pulled up above the Mendoza line, but still disappointing given the many strikeouts and lack of power.

I also like how New Concept did in his limited appearances. He definitely prolonged his major league life, but let's hope he finds a place to more regularly start. Maybe he can leverage himself into some trade bait.

Pitching Stats

Hardslab and Bukowski were the big winners among pitching goons, with Hardslab returning to form after a few mediocre years. Bukowski got some of his just save opportunities with the Mets great second half surge, to go along with an elite 1.56 ERA and godly 250 ERA+. Even Hockles recovered a bit, as a 4.70 ERA is far more excusable than 5 or more. He's the setup guy, and while he took a step back, there's still potential in wherever his new club is.

Finances

Nelson Frazier stole the show with his huge contract this offseason. No longer a Brave, he joins Raul Ordonez on the Texas Rangers, making 12 million dollars a year for two years.

He's not alone though - Kirby Bissel got more than just a starting role after being traded to the Indians. He was also immediately met with a 5 year contract, buying out his arbitration time with a 5 year, 46 million dollar extension. This may be a huge bargain for the Indians if Bissel is this good next year too.

We await O'Goku and Hockles' new homes, and hope the rest of the free agent goons can find something too. Next season will be especially interesting, as Krusty Unts and Mike Bukowski will both be entering free agency. Unts is coming off an MVP season and sure to get paid, while Bukowski remains an elite closer. I expect big things, and a huge payday.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

HOCKLES WANT TORONTO TRUE NORTH STRONG AND FREE

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT
SCRAP cannot be measured in a boxscore.

I have intangibles, damnit.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
New Concept traded in all his raw talent for intangibles. He can still make it if he keeps this up!

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Yaaaay, a ring! :woop: Too bad that it seems like Simon's offensive potential is falling off a cliff, though.

Auk14HP
Dec 12, 2005

Screw this crap I've had it, I ain't no Mr. Cool
Awww yeah, Kirby making that sweet, sweet Cleveland money :dance:

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Bukowski's statlines are meaningless if his K/9 keeps dropping. I'm also seeing a disturbing lack of hit by pitches.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

quote:

Props to Zak Harov, who actually has been briefly getting minor league appearances each year, only to quickly fizzle out in rookie ball. At 34 years old, he's awfully brave to keep it up.

*single tear* I just....I just love the game so much

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

It's been a couple of seasons, but I'm finally back on a contender! :woop:

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
Oh jeeze another torn labrum for Seth. I have to imagine he calls it quits either next season or the one after that.

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
Just back from my vacation, and I see Ordonez is still doing well, but holy gently caress get me off of this cursed team. Since I got called up in 2020 the Rangers have had 7 playoff appearances, 4 of them as the division winner, and 2 pennants. And nothing to show for it!

Also for last year, you said that no goons made the all-star team... but Ordonez is there at 2B for Texas. I guess he's so underrated even you didn't notice him!

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

John Wilkes Booth posted:

Just back from my vacation, and I see Ordonez is still doing well, but holy gently caress get me off of this cursed team. Since I got called up in 2020 the Rangers have had 7 playoff appearances, 4 of them as the division winner, and 2 pennants. And nothing to show for it!

Also for last year, you said that no goons made the all-star team... but Ordonez is there at 2B for Texas. I guess he's so underrated even you didn't notice him!

Well, now that Frazier is free from Atlanta, hopefully he can be what finally puts the Rangers over the top!

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Iceberg being shipped from team to team like unwanted Ikea furniture.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
So Harry's a glove-first 2B, over 30 and a free agent.

I'm expecting the Yankees to be banging down his door any minute now...

Harlock posted:

OTOH, dinger machine...

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

I am an idiot who cannot read :downs:. Don't worry - when I do a final tally of all your awards and things, OOTP will have it all logged, and Raul will get the appreciation he deserves.

Harlock posted:

Just be happy he didn't die in the DHolocaust, and actually has a job as a first baseman. Better players have been forced to retire because they forgot how to play first.

Yaya posted:

Oh jeeze another torn labrum for Seth. I have to imagine he calls it quits either next season or the one after that.

Seth was so close to being the second goon starter, but those injuries really have hurt him :(. I never showed it off, but all players have an injury proneness rating, and Iroth's is "Fragile" :negative:

Armitage posted:

It's been a couple of seasons, but I'm finally back on a contender! :woop:

holy gently caress get me off of this cursed team.

:getin:

zakharov posted:

*single tear* I just....I just love the game so much

I really hope Zak Harov is 45 and a career minor leaguer. He can be like the old grizzled veteran who ~~never quite made it~~ but inspires the next big rookie to overcome (racism/bad childhood/injury) and do what he couldn't: make the majors.

canadianclassic
Nov 3, 2004

WOOOOOP

Krusty is back indeed, bitches! Nice way to head into late-game free agency. Hopefully he can keep it up for another 7 years or so. Would be nice to sign with the Blue Jays or Mariners to finish out my career.

I guess if the Cubs had to lose, the Blue Jays winning is the next best outcome.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
2028 Season

2028 begins yet again with an injury, as Spring Training claims another victim:

A month isn't too bad, so Johnson should be alright so long as it doesn't get aggravated. Intercostal strains are one of those nagging injuries that don't usually cause significant drops in ability, but can keep coming back if they don't heal just right. Better hope the Giants have a good medical staff.

A few other things happened that did not make the news.

First, Ammat O'Goku found a new home with the Milwaukee Brewers, but somehow is only being paid $760k for his services. This may be because he, along with New Concept, are on the Milwaukee bench rather than starting.

Moosejaw Hockles also found a new team - the appropriately lumberjacking Seattle Mariners. He is being paid a bit under 3 million for his one year of service. He's starting out as the 8th inning setup guy/backup closer, so he may see some saves and have another shot at becoming a closer and making much more money.

2028 Opening Day Status

We've settled into a bit of a groove here. Snart, Odor, Iroth, Belig, and Booty all remain marginal MLB players, starting in the minors but each with a high likelihood of promotion at some point in the season.

All MLB players except O'Goku, Callahan, and New Concept are in the starting lineup on opening day, and that will probably remain so throughout the season, barring some breakout. We're at the point in your careers where big positive changes are becoming less and less likely, as age may begin to claim some of you.

Hrenchuk both sucks and agitates for a trade, having alienated everyone in San Diego.

Krusty will remain a Cub until he is 35, which I think is the wrong call. If he went out on the Free Agent market at 33, he could probably secure a 5+ year deal and get paid well into his decline years. Instead, he will enter free agency when he is 35, meaning he will get paid less AND probably for fewer years.

He's still getting paid 25+ million a year, but I think he could have been more strategic with it. He may also just opt to be a Cub for his whole career and get some sweetheart deals from them to play well into his 40's.

Fostolfur is a good bat but he's quick to anger, and will face a suspension as a result! His suspension is well timed, as he apparently also injured his quadriceps in the process, and will have three weeks to cool off before he can play again.

2028 All Star Break

Congrats Nelson Frazier and Mike Bukowski on being selected to the 2028 All-Star Game! Bukowski is starting to challenge Krusty for the most All-Star appearances, as he now has four to Krusty's five. Frazier now has his second but seems to be really enjoying his time in Texas, and may simply be a late bloomer among the goons.

Real life MLB players are starting to get real thin at this point - Mike Trout, Miguel Sano, and George Springer jump out at me, but they are all aging now and may not be around for long.

MLB All Star Break Stats

Batting

:catstare: Yikes, a lot of disappointment here. Nelson Frazier is probably the best performing goon for the first half, followed by the power strong Krusty Unts and the dual-injured Fostolfur and Raul Ordonez.

I don't know what's more distressing - Jackson McGee's injury recovery season demonstrating a clear drop in ability, or Chuck Johnson's loss of his only real asset - his power. This may simply be a small sample size or blip, but they are certainly not good for either player.

Simon MacGregor also has some troubles, but he's still batting second in Toronto, so he clearly has a long rear end leash.

Pitching

The pitching side of things looks fantastic, as Hardslab is having an okay year, while Bukowski is dominant and Hockles is greatly improved. One bit of a problem for Hockles is that he's clearly cemented himself in as the setup guy with great play, but Seattle's closer is on par with Bukowski in terms of ability and consistency, so Hockles may not get any save opportunities. That high hold count will start to matter eventually, and he may find himself being hired as a closer on a mediocre to poor team next season if he plays his cards right.

Why New Concept can't ever seem to settle in at any level is beyond me. His stats always seem fine, but he can't quite find a role for himself on any team at any level.

:negative:, ouch. 2028 is officially a lost season for Johnson, who injures his finger pretty badly. He'll be back just before the season ends but it won't be enough time to salvage this awful season. The only saving grace is that he has 2029 to put up some better numbers before free agency.

:psyduck:. I don't really get the Rangers. They finally get an All-Star catcher in Frazier, but have now traded their star shortstop Raul Ordonez for a highly rated but under-performing second baseman? Whatever the case, I hope Raul finds a good home in Kansas City.

Texas, you are not allowed to have nice things. :rip: Nelson Frazier, see you not just next year, but halfway through it, because you'll be out until June or July :(. What a lovely way to cap a great season. He'll also need to really perform in the second half of 2029 to ensure he gets a decent contract - or any job at all.

Jackson McGee may have just been a bit rusty, as he picked it up in the second half and even won player of the week for his performance! It's not unusual for players coming off injuries to need some time to recover, especially if they get a short spring training (OOTP does actually model rust if a player isn't active for a while.)

Lol. Hrencuk is gunning for my clubhouse cancer award at the end of this.

:wow: Nice going Hardslab! 15k's is no easy feat, even if it is against the hard-swinging Rockies. He also shut them out and only gave up 3 hits, which may be as impressive, even in Arizona.

2028 Regular Season Standings

Some good goon potential again in 2028, and quite a few teams were very much led by goons to their playoff position.

Raul Ordonez has been a different man in Kansas City, where he, along with an aging but still very good Mike Trout, will be gunning for their first WS rings.

Nelson Frazier's Rangers also will give Texas another shot at a world championship, and in doing so would also give both Frazier and Ordonez a ring (having played for the Rangers extensively before being traded/hurt), but no other goons are present.

Rick Hardslab is a contender for more postseason MVP awards with a reinvigorated Arizona team that won the NL West for the second year in a row.

New Concept is on the playoff bound Milwaukee Brewers, but as a bench bat, so he may or may not see much action.

Lastly, Kirby Bissel has had a bit of a bum year in 2028, but will still be starting in the playoffs, and may have a chance to redeem his poor regular season performance.

2028 Playoff Results

Wild Card Series

Kirby Bissel does just as I hoped, and hits a massive 2 run shot in the WC game to secure Cleveland's appearance in the ALDS. Extra embarrassing for the White Sox, both runs are unearned, as they committed and error to let the man on in front of him.

Division Series

Kirby tries again against Texas, and even hits another dinger in game 5 to try and keep Cleveland alive, but it's not enough, as Texas edges out Cleveland 5 to 2 in game 5, to win the series 3 games to 2. Ordonez and Frazier don't play for Texas, but their hopes of a ring remain alive.

Ordonez doesn't get much chance in the ALDS for Kansas City, as KC outscores the Yankees by 10 runs in a dominant 3 game sweep.

Rick Hardslab does NOT have a great NLDS, and had two poor starts despite winning the series 3 games to 1. He is bailed out in game 4 as his offense puts up 10 runs to beat Milwaukee 10 to 9. New Concept makes one uneventful appearance.

Championship Series

Raul Ordonez schools his former team and crushes Texas' dreams four games to two. Jim Towns, the guy Ordonez traded for, is actually about on par this series, so maybe the trade will end up being a wash.

Hardslab only gets one start, and while it's not that horrible, it's not that great either. His team gets schooled across the board, losing four games to one against the Nationals.

World Seres

Raul Ordonez tried again, this time for Kansas City, but no matter how much he did, it wasn't enough. The Nationals win their second championship, having first won in 2027. This time, President Trump has the entire capitol paved with Gold, rather than just the White (now Gold) House.

2028 MLB Awards

AL MVP: Mike Rogan
NL MVP: Ronald Washington (lol)
AL Cy Young: Chris Hopper
NL Cy Young: Ronnie Carmichal

Reliever of the Year Award: Bukowski placed second :(

Ouch. Totally shut out. The closest we got to a goon award this year was Bukowski's second place in Reliever of the Year. Shameful!

Speaking of Bukowski, he signed a new contract with the Mets:

Not bad! At 31 years old, a 2 year contract is all he can expect as a reliever. It's a poo poo ton of money for a relief pitcher, but he's shown remarkable consistency, so it's deserved.

Of note is that Bukowski is at 242 saves, which would put him in 35th place all-time in 2015. He's got a decent shot at 300 saves and possibly even more, depending on how well he ages. If he keeps up his average pace as closer of 33 saves/year, he may just crack 400.

With the end of the season, Hockles, MacGregor, Booty, O'Goku, Belig, Callahan, Odor, and Snart all become free agents. I'm sure Hockles will find a new home, and most of the rest will too, but we'll see what kind of job security they have. Many may have to settle for minor league deals. I will update you if any sign before the end of this update.

Nelson Frazier lucks out with a 2 year contract extension, despite being horribly injured. I'm a bit confused though because his profile still says he's a free agent after 2029, so I don't know what OOTP is talking about or what is really going on.

2028 Hall of Fame Results

Justin Verlander makes it into the Hall of Fame, but more importantly, Ichiro does not. Next year is the last chance for the voters to prove they are not morons.

2028 Player Status

Noooo, Zak Harov finally retired! :(. The end of an era.

As you can see, none of the new free agents have signed yet, so we will have to wait until the pre-season to give them new homes.

Batting Stats

A pretty disappointing year across the board. Frazier had a great year until being injured, and Raul Ordonez remains under appreciated and all-around solid. This might be the first year that Krusty "C" Unts didn't really do anything of note, and even Jackson McGee only barely redeemed himself by the end of the season.

I guess [b[Fostolfur[/b] had the best raw offensive season, with 22 dingers and a decent average, but I can't get too excited when he barely drew any walks! Overall, a very "meh" season. I hope it's not because our goons are now solidly in their 30's.

Pitching Stats

Our pitching was pretty good this year, even if Bukowski fell back to earth a bit by the end with a 2.28 ERA. Hardslab is looking to be a consistent low-3.00 ERA starter, and Hockles very much impressed with 26 holds and a 3.22 ERA. I hope he gets to try out being a closer next season, but he may just be stuck as a setup guy if no teams are willing to take the risk.

Finances

Next year is going to be a real doozy, with Frazier, Ordonez, Johnson, and Hrenchuk (lol) all entering free agency. I know Frazier and Ordonez will find work, but I think Hrenchuk will be screwed. I really, really really really really hope that Johnson gets signed by another team (ROCKIES) as I think his power could potentially save him, but I'm worried that his time in San Francisco may endanger his desirability from other teams.

JosefStalinator fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Jan 2, 2016

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
If Bukowski was ever on a halfway decent club he'd have broken records for saves by now. Mets and Marlins are where players go to die.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Time to go drink in my hometown and reminisce about my glory days as a pro :(

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
Well I got my wish, and crushed my former team as they exploded in the playoffs. And I'm on a team with Mike Trout!

Now just win the drat series.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
I like how the National League apparently elected to not have a first basemen on the roster for the ASG.

Also New Concept being converted from 1B to CF is so baffling.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Harry, why. Why did you do this to me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
2029 Season

Many goons went without homes for the New Year, did they find a new club to play for by opening day?

2029 Opening Day Status

Some did! Moosejaw has a new home in Miami with Fostolfur, and is actually taking up the spot that gave Mike Bukowski his first closing opportunities. He's the setup guy and backup closer behind a well rated closer named Puk, but Moosejaw actually had better numbers last year, so maybe he can supplant him. His contract was only for one year, but it was a hefty 3 million dollars.

Simon MacGregor also received a new contract, for one year, 720k in Houston. As far as I can tell, he's not starting, but he may work his way back in soon.

Harry Callahan defied my expectations and also gets to play baseball again this year, this time for the Orioles on a one year, 740k deal. He'll be a backup guy.

Unfortunately, Sam Booty, O'Goku, Snart, and Jan Aina all remain unemployed (as does the soon to retire Ex Odor). They might find some minor league deals or an emergency backup spot, but time is running out.

Speaking of, Sam Booty must have a garage full of minor league trophies, because he seems to win multiple each year. At least he's not languishing in free agency.

Jackson McGee has a notable game, but still hasn't come back to his peak.

Hardslab may not have reached his peak again either, but he still finds the time to dominate and dazzle us all with a shutout. A shame we may never seen a perfect game or no-hitter before he retires.

Chuck Johnson is falling apart, and is injured AGAIN. This time for only about a month. Notably, he's already surpassed his 2028 stats in the first half of 2029.

Simon MacGregor is furious that he got immediately demoted down to Fremont. Them's the breaks, kid!

:negative: :negative: speaking of breaks, Rusty suffers a particularly nasty injury, a concussion. At least he won't have to worry about working again, or paying for his healthcare when he develops dementia or whatever God awful disease the long term effects of his concussions bring.

2029 All Star Break

Like clockwork, Mike Bukowski makes it to ANOTHER All-Star game as the league's preeminent closer. This is Bukowski's fifth All-Star appearance, tying Krusty "C" Unts, and putting him in the running for the most All-Star appearances among goons!

No other goons make it, and in fact, you'd be hard pressed to find a familiar name among the bunch. The MLB looks very different in 2029.

MLB All Star Break Stats

Batting

At the halfway point, Chuck Johnson, Fostolfur, and Bissel appear to be making the most noise, offensively. Bissel's position and defensive prowess give him a pretty big edge in WAR though. You can see how the goons are declining, as they once regularly put up much better numbers than this.

Jackson McGee seems the biggest disappointment. Is it just age, or did his injury really break him? Krusty is also down with an injury, but has enough pop in his bat that his numbers don't look too bad, even with the low average.

Bill Hrenchuk... you're so easily getting the clubhouse cancer/albatross contract award. I can't believe you got to play in the majors this long, and got paid so much!

Pitching

Everyone's numbers are a poorer on the pitching side, and not much to report. Hockles has not worked his way into the closer role... yet.

Something weird happens right after the All-Star break, as I get a new story that seems to be a... double news story?

It won't let me select just one story, but I quickly learn why:

:siren: We have some goon on goon action! :siren:

It's hard to say who is to blame - Johnson grew very irate after Hardslab hit him with a pitch in the third inning. Already down 6 - 0 and having surrendered a two run homer just prior to Johnson's at bat, Hardslab was shaky at best, and was on the verge of being pulled anyway. Once Johnson charged the mound, alleging the pegging to be deliberate, the benches cleared and warnings were issued to both teams. Hardslab would miss his next start, while Johnson would miss an entire week of play.

Rick Hardslab wasted no time in taking his fury out on the hapless Angels, pitching a gem of a game with 16 strikeouts his next start after his suspension.

Sam Booty wins another award, and throws it on the pile accumulating in his garage.

A mustachio'd man named Sud Belig is too old and decrepid to play in anyplace but AAA, where he does oddly well with some questionable calls in his favor.

Invigorated by their rivalry, Chuck Johnson and Rick Hardslab make the news - one for a player of the week, and another for another dominant 15 K game.

Kirby Bissel ends the year on fire, vying to be the best goon of 2029.

2029 Regular Season Standings

Hardslab is back with Arizona for the third straight year - last year was a bust, but he's hoping for a better 2029.

New Concept may see some very limited plate appearances with Milwaukee.

...and Nelzon Frazier, on the wildcard Rangers, represents the only other goon on a playoff team. At least we have Hardslab to do stuff.

2029 Playoff Results

Wild Card Series

Hey look, Nelson's doing something!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxP442T-aZ0

:negative:

Division Series

Rick Hardslab did much better than last year, crushing the Phillies in his second start and winning the series 3 games to 1. The Phillies ain't so tough!

Championship Series

:negative: But the Brewers are. I'd be extra mad about that last start - it was game 7, and the Diamondbacks gave up 3 runs in the 8th to lose the game.

World Seres

No goons appear because you are all terrible.

2029 MLB Awards

AL MVP: Derek Harris
NL MVP: Joe Seals
AL Cy Young: Joseph Mancuso
NL Cy Young: Scotty Morales
NL Reliever of the Year: Mike Bukowski! :woop:
AL Golden Glove, SS: Jackson McGee! :woop:

We didn't get shut out! A huge congrats to Mike Bukowski for yet ANOTHER reliever of the year award, despite always ending up on poo poo teams. I really think he might crack 400 saves and be an all-time save leader of note, if he can avoid getting hurt.

And congrats to Jackson McGee, for showing that you aren't completely broken, nor too old to show some great defense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsBByTiKfyY

Fostolfur. I love you. You will be everything Chuck Johnson could have been. You've gone to the promised land - Colorado.

Bud Selig is traded to the Cubs for a quesadilla.

It's an extremely active off season, as this happens:

Krusty "C" Unts leaves Chicago, playing for another team for the first time in his long career! 11 seasons with the Cubs, 2 WS championships, and he's now a New York Met. He'll join Mike Bukowski, and maybe put together a dream team. Hardslab, go to the Mets!

Chuck Johnson also makes a big signing, leaving his long time team the Giants for the rival Dodgers. It's probably a better career move, as he'll hit way more dingers in LA than SF, and still gets to play Colorado often. I just hope he didn't waste all his dinger years.

2029 Hall of Fame Results

gently caress the voters. gently caress them forever. First they make Barry wait, then induct A-Rod unanimously, then they let Ichiro drop.

2029 Player Status

Our numbers are thinning. If you're on this list, and you aren't Seth Iroth, you are now retired.

:rip:

The looming free agents I wondered about largely got picked up early. Hockles is now a Tiger (RIP in their bullpen), while Johnson signed with LA and Fostolfur is a Rockie.

The rest of you will find homes. Maybe. But not Bill Hrenchuk. If he does, I will laugh.

Batting Stats

Fostulfur is turning out to be a real late bloomer, and with that power, I'm really excited to see him in Colorado. Jackson McGee and Kirby Bissel also had great years, showing their defensive prowess as well, leading the goons in WAR with their defenses factored in.

Chuck Johnson had a bounceback year and I think he performed just in time - the Dodgers likely wouldn't have given him such a big deal if he didn't find a way to dinger 20 times in ATT park. Probably will get to 30 or more with the Dodgers.

Maybe one surprised was Sud Belig's stats. It was a small sample but he actually did well in what opportunities he was given, which may explain why he finds himself in Chicago, and is technically a rookie (in arbitration) because of his weird career trajectory and minor league dominance. Some suspect foul play, but I think he's just that good.

Lots of disappointment elsewhere, but really where you would expect. Simon, Hrenchuk, and so on. I still can't believe Hrenchuk that 5 year deal out of the padres. I guess it is important to remember - Hrenchuk was a first overall draft pick!

Pitching Stats

More of the same here. Good play by Hardslab, elite play by Bukowski, and decent play by Hockles. I like that Hockles got a two year deal in Detroit, and for good money too, at about 7 million a year. Even if he never becomes a closer, he can retire rich and happy with what he's achieved.

Finances

Not much new here that we didn't already touch on. The more interesting news will come when we see how the current free agents get a job - or don't. And next year, when Krusty re-enters the free market at the ripe old age of 35, along with Bukowski and a rising Fostolfur.

• Locked thread