Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

repiv posted:

The safest way is to enable full device encryption, then do a factory reset. That way whatever data is left behind by the often half assed factory reset routine will be garbled and useless.

Excellent, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

Tunga posted:

Try going into Settings -> Sound and create a rule to turn DND on and then off a few minutes from now.

Yes! That fixed it. :dance: Thank you batman

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Have an old HTC phone that keeps rebooting when in the OS so can't do a reset through the Settings menu (it lasts less than 30 secs before rebooting so not ime). I thought I would factory reset from the HTC boot loader and it says it is erasing everything but when it boots into the phone everything is exactly the same. Same apps and everything and still rebooting. I also downloaded a factory image, put it on the sd card, did a flash from the HTC boot menu which it goes through a bunch of progress bars and says it succeeded but also everything remains the same.

Is this some weird rear end hardware fault?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I did not realise my shiny new 6P was going to come with such an enormous regulatory label on the back - because US models don't have it none of the reviews I read showed it.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

dissss posted:

I did not realise my shiny new 6P was going to come with such an enormous regulatory label on the back - because US models don't have it none of the reviews I read showed it.

Can you not peel it off?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

Can you not peel it off?

No it's screen printed on the plastic bit at the bottom.

I'm sure it's possible to remove somehow but I'm not going to do that with a brand new device.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
Peel it off ya sperg

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

There is nothing to 'peel off' it's printed directly on the plastic

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Have you tried peeling it off?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Put a toast on that poo poo and call it a day.

No, no griptape. Nexus Protect :smuggo:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Will never understand wooden cases and such on modern devices. Guess you were born in the 70's?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Wood is a very common element in modern design. It doesn't have anything to do with the decade you were born in.

also, you should try peeling off those regulatory notices.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

FuzzySlippers posted:

Have an old HTC phone that keeps rebooting when in the OS so can't do a reset through the Settings menu (it lasts less than 30 secs before rebooting so not ime). I thought I would factory reset from the HTC boot loader and it says it is erasing everything but when it boots into the phone everything is exactly the same. Same apps and everything and still rebooting. I also downloaded a factory image, put it on the sd card, did a flash from the HTC boot menu which it goes through a bunch of progress bars and says it succeeded but also everything remains the same.

Is this some weird rear end hardware fault?
See if you can go into safe mode on that specific model, if so it may work well enough to run longer than 30 seconds.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers
Thank you to all the folks who advised me re: the Vodafone smart ultra 6, my dad is very impressed and thinks it cost like 7x as much as it did.

I have a problem with my own phone that's getting more and more irritating though. I have a moto X 2013 and have absolutely zero inclination to upgrade any time soon, because new phones are 2 huge 4 me. Thing is, recently my mobile/cell standby seems to have become a real battery hog with lollipop, and my charge just isn't lasting a full working day. Is there any way to remedy this? I've searched around, but the only solution I've found seems to be installing cyanogenmod. I'll do that, if it comes to it, because this is the best phone I've ever had, but it seems a bit drastic.

Thank you, goodbye.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Welp, the dumb, retarded, unthinkable happened. Pulled out my 2013 Moto X out of my pocket while walking at work and it slipped out of my hand. First time ever I've had a screen shatter while dropping it. For now I'm stuck on an OG Droid Incredible, until I can get a replacement.

I was hoping this thing would last a little bit longer, but really, the end was near. As I said before, the plastic all around the sides has been cracked for some time (and more recently: a chunk of plastic missing).

I need a new phone and I might begrudgingly pick the Droid Turbo 2. Does anyone have experience with it? Other than the obvious VZW branding both on the case on on the installed software, the big worry for me are the reviews that say that the 'shatterproof' display has two big tradeoffs: it makes the screen image quality look worse, and it scratches easier.

I'm only considering it at all because not only can I get $100 off an upgrade for monthly payments (bill will go down $20 for access, but have to tack on the monthly payment), but they also have a promotion for getting the 64gb version for the 32gb price.. Bah, just a free 32gb microsd card :( With that, the price of the phone would actually be less than a 32gb Moto X Pure. I just don't know if the tradeoff with the screen (and branding, and no stereo, and being tied to VZW) is worth it.

Any suggestions?

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Dec 27, 2015

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Rastor posted:

See if you can go into safe mode on that specific model, if so it may work well enough to run longer than 30 seconds.

Safe gets about 30 which was just enough time to get the HTC Windows update utility to get approved on the device. That allowed me to try to flash firmware through that but it hung when about 90% complete and won't complete. I can't adb into the device either for some reason. Won't connect even with drivers loaded.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Calaveron posted:

Will never understand wooden cases and such on modern devices. Guess you were born in the 70's?

That looks nice as hell and I barely count as an 80s kid, no idea what you're talking about.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
My launch era Nexus 5 no longer sees any wifi connections at all. I don't know if it was upgrading to Marshmallow that did it (I swear it worked after I upgraded) but it no longer sees any wifi networks as options. Its not a "can't connect" issue, I've tried being right next to my router, all my other devices work fine. I have tried turning the phone off/on, going in and out of airplane mode, and did a factory reset on it.

Is this a known issue? Is there a fix or is it a hardware thing? Will it randomly start seeing wifi again on its own? I get poo poo tmobile service in my house so its basically a brick now.

Do I need to hit it against my desk?

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Good Dog posted:

This never doesn't not hurt.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

That looks nice as hell and I barely count as an 80s kid, no idea what you're talking about.

He's talking about the 70s being peak "wood paneling on everything" like:

But I don't think that the phone cases are that absurd.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
I love wooden cases. I love wood paneling on cars too. Wood in general is, to me, minimal, stylish and reserved.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

Vykk.Draygo posted:

My Moto X '14 has been doing this really great thing since updating to 6.0 where sometimes I'll pair my phone with the bluetooth in my car and the audio won't play through the car until I reboot the phone, even if I forget the bluetooth connection and reconnect. It's totally not making me want to fastball my phone through the windshield.

I'm also getting this since my 2015 Moto G got Marshmallow.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Those wooden Toast skins make me want to buy a 6P just for the skin

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Has anyone here done a Toast case removal? I know they themselves have a video of removing it off an iPhone, but they're going to do their best to make it look easy and not-phone-damaging.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

The rear end Stooge posted:

I'm also getting this since my 2015 Moto G got Marshmallow.

Do you have an Android Wear device? Is it happening after you recently unplugged headphones? I have a feeling the problem involves one of those, if not both.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Do you have an Android Wear device? Is it happening after you recently unplugged headphones? I have a feeling the problem involves one of those, if not both.

No and no.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Good Dog posted:

My launch era Nexus 5 no longer sees any wifi connections at all. I don't know if it was upgrading to Marshmallow that did it (I swear it worked after I upgraded) but it no longer sees any wifi networks as options. Its not a "can't connect" issue, I've tried being right next to my router, all my other devices work fine. I have tried turning the phone off/on, going in and out of airplane mode, and did a factory reset on it.

Is this a known issue? Is there a fix or is it a hardware thing? Will it randomly start seeing wifi again on its own? I get poo poo tmobile service in my house so its basically a brick now.

Is it stuck in "Turning on..." under wifi? If that's the case I know the solution though without root I don't think you can fix it. At this point I'd prepare to flash the factory image.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

FuzzySlippers posted:

Safe gets about 30 which was just enough time to get the HTC Windows update utility to get approved on the device. That allowed me to try to flash firmware through that but it hung when about 90% complete and won't complete. I can't adb into the device either for some reason. Won't connect even with drivers loaded.

Are you running the official HTC windows ruu? those things practically work on bricked devices.

Always enable USB and ADP just in case you run into a situation like this.

I still don't fully understand though, try asking in the root thread as well, but if adb and usb isn't enabled and you don't have twrp it can be hard and you may need the manufacturer have to repair it.

Look on xda for some sort of allinone or unified usb driver, or get the all in one for htc program to help get you between recovery. Bootloader, reboots and stuff without using hotkeys

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

I guess it's just Android being Android then :shrug:

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

galahan posted:

Are you running the official HTC windows ruu? those things practically work on bricked devices.

Always enable USB and ADP just in case you run into a situation like this.

I still don't fully understand though, try asking in the root thread as well, but if adb and usb isn't enabled and you don't have twrp it can be hard and you may need the manufacturer have to repair it.

Look on xda for some sort of allinone or unified usb driver, or get the all in one for htc program to help get you between recovery. Bootloader, reboots and stuff without using hotkeys

Yeah the problem is they didn't have USB debugging enabled. I've tried to dash through the os to turn it on but their version requires you to tap on a menu item first a bunch of times and I can't pull it off before rebooting.

Official Ruu is what I'm doing and it runs but the progress bar never completes. It starts flashing and then stalls out at 90 percent.

Thanks I'll look on xda to see if a different USB driver makes a difference. Another complication is I only have windows 10 machines and it seems like ruu runs better on older windows.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003
Donor device Moto X 2014 Version 6.0 unrooted
Recipient device GS6 Version 5.1.1 unrooted

Sorry if this has been answered recently, but is there any way to do a restore from a Mashmellow device to a 5.1.1 device? I've tried helium, it won't work because you can't set PTP as default on a connection and it crashes the Helium app in the wizard to setup backups.

Motorolla has a migrate app but it doesn't work on Marshmellow, Samsung has a Switch app but it's not compatible with Marshmellow. I tried Tap and Go, and it recognizes the Moto X during the NFC pairing time, and the Moto X says it's setup for Tap and Go but when I get to choose devices there is no option to pick the Moto X 2014.

Am I just screwed that right now there is no way do a Helium/Titanium backup style backup from 6 and I have to rebuild everything by hand?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Marshmallow.

Also: what needs to be restored?

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Doctor Butts posted:

Marshmallow.

Also: what needs to be restored?

Apps and app settings. Not a big gamer but things like game progress, browser settings, vpn passwords, desktop layout. I could restore these things but it would literally be hours of data entry type work which seems insane. I've been able to use Helium or other methods but it seems 6.0 broke every backup method that exists.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Aside from game progress none of that stuff will take long - browser settings will come across as soon as you sign into your Google account, Nova has its own setting backup and really how many VPNs do you need to set up?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
And any game worth a drat should restore your progress as soon as you log in with your Google account as well.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

dissss posted:

Aside from game progress none of that stuff will take long - browser settings will come across as soon as you sign into your Google account, Nova has its own setting backup and really how many VPNs do you need to set up?

Reinstalling the 100 or so apps is going to be a pain, as it happens I have a backup from a year ago or so in drive so I guess I'll just have to fat finger all of the rest of it side by side.

Many games/apps do not restore to Google, nor does that auto restoration always work. Beyond pod you can sign into but I'll have to eyeball my downloaded podcasts and where I was. Just a pain I was hoping to skip as it's always been easy until Marshmallow.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Are there any good payment plans for a Nexus 5x right now? All I see are like 24 month ones, I'd rather do it in like 3. Am I SOL for that kind of arbitrary financing? Otherwise I might just get a cheap old Nexus 5 because that phone still seems perfect to me and I assume it'll be fine for a few more years.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Khanstant posted:

Are there any good payment plans for a Nexus 5x right now? All I see are like 24 month ones, I'd rather do it in like 3. Am I SOL for that kind of arbitrary financing? Otherwise I might just get a cheap old Nexus 5 because that phone still seems perfect to me and I assume it'll be fine for a few more years.

Odd question, why not take the 24 and just set up autopay, I believe it's 0 interest? After a couple months you can probably request to pay the balance if you want to be done with it.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

FuzzySlippers posted:

Yeah the problem is they didn't have USB debugging enabled. I've tried to dash through the os to turn it on but their version requires you to tap on a menu item first a bunch of times and I can't pull it off before rebooting.

Official Ruu is what I'm doing and it runs but the progress bar never completes. It starts flashing and then stalls out at 90 percent.

Thanks I'll look on xda to see if a different USB driver makes a difference. Another complication is I only have windows 10 machines and it seems like ruu runs better on older windows.

Yeah sorry unless USB capability is enabled, ADB is enabled and boot locker is unlocked sadly most people will be screwed, yes it is a great security risk to leave these things enabled, but on the other hand it's almost impossible to brick the device you use, ruu's available from your manufacturer ( especially HTC) seems to always un- brick your device on the upside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Stick100 posted:

Odd question, why not take the 24 and just set up autopay, I believe it's 0 interest? After a couple months you can probably request to pay the balance if you want to be done with it.

I didn't know you could just balance out when you wanted. I don't like auto-payments in general or paying bills on time, but in any case 2 years is way too long, what if we end capitalism by then, but here I am trapped with some legacy payment plan?!?! I'm just kidding, I'm financially irresponsible and I get annoyed at myself when I have to pay for poo poo I bought in the past in the present.