Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
yospos bitches lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
i've deliberately not upgraded to 10 and keep hiding each new update they're using to force it on people. I run windows for exactly one program and win7 gets it done just fine.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Godholio posted:

I downloaded and put the ISO on a thumb drive then removed everything during install. I had something that just wouldn't go away even with a normal "save my files" install, but the full wipe killed it.

Caught the computer clap?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Fister Roboto posted:

What a thrill.

:ocelot:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

With a full wipe you're gonna wanna reformat the drive complete and do a fresh install. Unless Windows 10 has that built in to completely erase the HDD and install Windows. Usually it just reinstalls Windows only

Is it a full Windows 10 license or an upgrade from 8/8.1? Did you buy it standalone or did it come with a PC/laptop?

I'd load up a USB Disc with the iso depending on the above circumstances. MS really changed things around and you can't just download the iso from them anymore. Have to do some bullshit recovery option but that's only if it's standalone otherwise you have to torrent the .iso

format the drive completely and make a bootable USB with the the iso IMO. Super easy

I upgraded from 8.1, so I guess I'll have to download the iso and go with that.

Might also try the rollback to 8.1 as long as it still seems to be an option under recovery (though I thought I'd been running Win 10 for more than a month now). The reason I don't think it's a problem with Win10 is exactly the fact that I've been running it perfectly fine for the entire time save the last week, where poo poo started getting really laggy from time to time, like actual cursor-lagging-across-the-screen in the browser while another program opened up, never experienced that on any operating system.
Upgrading to 8GB RAM as well on Tuesday, but since everything ran fine on 4GB (using this thing as 90% school laptop), I don't think the problem is there either even though I generally wouldn't even want to run Win8 with less than 8GB.

As I typed that last line, I got cursor-lag, the screen flashed briefly and then the system happily tells me that "The display driver for Windows 8 has stopped working and recovered", the gently caress?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I upgraded from 8.1, so I guess I'll have to download the iso and go with that.

Might also try the rollback to 8.1 as long as it still seems to be an option under recovery (though I thought I'd been running Win 10 for more than a month now). The reason I don't think it's a problem with Win10 is exactly the fact that I've been running it perfectly fine for the entire time save the last week, where poo poo started getting really laggy from time to time, like actual cursor-lagging-across-the-screen in the browser while another program opened up, never experienced that on any operating system.
Upgrading to 8GB RAM as well on Tuesday, but since everything ran fine on 4GB (using this thing as 90% school laptop), I don't think the problem is there either even though I generally wouldn't even want to run Win8 with less than 8GB.

As I typed that last line, I got cursor-lag, the screen flashed briefly and then the system happily tells me that "The display driver for Windows 8 has stopped working and recovered", the gently caress?

Reinstall your display drivers with the latest usable version from your graphics card manufacturer, and turn off the stupid Windows auto-update for display drivers. If it's an Intel chip in the laptop, then download the Intel driver update tool from their website and use it to find any drivers that might be outdated. Getting all your drivers updated is critical for system stability. Get that worked out and like magic the weirdness should disappear.

I was having major problems with Windows 10, like crashing BSOD multiple times per day, updated all my drivers and updated my BIOS on my motherboard, no more problems. My PC is like 4 years old so there were a lot of updates available, YMMV.

E: It looks like with Windows 10 version 1511, they cut out the auto driver updater that they had built in, because it was what was giving most people problems, if you're on that build you may not have to worry about it loving with your drivers after you fix them.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Dec 27, 2015

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
My problems with windows 10 are real specific and probably just me being nitpicky. The task bar, for example, will change size on its own and I can't read the time. Or cast to device won't work after closing and opening the laptop again.

Plus I just liked 7 better. poo poo if I could go back to XP and know everything would work I would.

E: I'm also not a big fan of 10's start menu.

Cole fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Dec 27, 2015

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I thought win 10 was making GBS threads the bed on me so I did full wipe and blank install.

Then there was some weird poo poo still going on. Turned out my motherboard was on its way out and now she wont even boot to POST.

Thanks obama.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Tokyo Sexwhale posted:

Reinstall your display drivers with the latest usable version from your graphics card manufacturer, and turn off the stupid Windows auto-update for display drivers. If it's an Intel chip in the laptop, then download the Intel driver update tool from their website and use it to find any drivers that might be outdated. Getting all your drivers updated is critical for system stability. Get that worked out and like magic the weirdness should disappear.

I was having major problems with Windows 10, like crashing BSOD multiple times per day, updated all my drivers and updated my BIOS on my motherboard, no more problems. My PC is like 4 years old so there were a lot of updates available, YMMV.

E: It looks like with Windows 10 version 1511, they cut out the auto driver updater that they had built in, because it was what was giving most people problems, if you're on that build you may not have to worry about it loving with your drivers after you fix them.

Well, I'll be damned. It looks like Windows 10 at some point downgraded to an older display driver than I had previously installed UNDER Windows 10.
Add that to the ninja-upgrades in the background and it might actually be the perfect explanation for my problem.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Cole posted:

My problems with windows 10 are real specific and probably just me being nitpicky. The task bar, for example, will change size on its own and I can't read the time. Or cast to device won't work after closing and opening the laptop again.

Plus I just liked 7 better. poo poo if I could go back to XP and know everything would work I would.

E: I'm also not a big fan of 10's start menu.

Those aren't unique problems to you and a desire for a consistent unchanging UI isn't a crazy thought.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Well, gently caress me, looks like the driver update fixed it.

Halfway through the update, Windows 10 still insisted that the latest drivers (as per intel) were somehow older than the "newer" ones already installed. Weird.

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Dec 27, 2015

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Tokyo Sexwhale posted:

Caught the computer clap?

No, it's a graphics driver problem. Newest nvidia drivers were auto-installed (359.06 iirc) which completely broke windows. PC would post but w10 would fail to load and reboot the system. After 3 failed loads w10 enters a recovery version which gives you options for safe mode, restore point, etc. Apparently I didn't have a restore point, but I was able to load into safe mode. Naturally I couldn't rollback the driver...it was grayed out. I tried deleting it to force Windows into using a generic but that didn't fix anything. Tried the normal "save my files" reinstall twice times but it would fail during installation. Loaded safe mode and backed up the few files I had on that drive, and did the full wipe.

At that point I could get into Windows, but it auto updated that driver again. Once again Windows failed to load, but I was able to rollback to generic Microsoft drivers and disabled the updater so I can at least get into Windows. I tried several older nvidia drivers, but had the same results every time.

I have no idea what the problem is, so my next step is a new graphics card after the holidays. Between Christmas and paying off my kidney stone medical bills and a wasted trip to the car dealership for diagnostic work, it's gonna take a couple of paychecks to resume troubleshooting.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Dec 27, 2015

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
I'm worried windows 10 will have constant system disk reading like 8.1 did. Where it was stuck in a endless loop making my disk usage 100%, where I have to do a 28 hour chdsk repair fix to temporarily stop it. I fixed it permanently by going back to windows 7.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Mr. Nice! posted:

Those aren't unique problems to you and a desire for a consistent unchanging UI isn't a crazy thought.

I know the taskbar issue is pretty common, but I can't find anything about the cast to device function not working. And I can't loving stand reading microsoft's forums for help because it's the same old bullshit Microsoft tech guy response of "Run this check and then run that check" and none of those ever work, and after jerking around the customer for a page or two it seems to always just ends up with them saying to send their device in to get serviced.

I would have a lot of respect for the Microsoft support team if they would just admit that their poo poo is buggy.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I've had literally no problems with Windows 10.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Well pack it up guys, Windows 10 is perfect.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Cole posted:

Well pack it up guys, Windows 10 is perfect.

:nallears:

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
they know my copy of win7 isnt legit but theyve extended the olive branch of upgrading to 10 as long as i buy it :tinfoil:

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Anyone know if there's some secret to car exhaust fan connectors. My dad forgot to reconnect it after replacing my sister's radiator, but it doesn't seem to be engaging.

Theoretically it'll work on the freeway but I'm not exactly excited to test that theory right now.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Never mind I just wiggled it before starting again.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Outside of that display driver fuckup, neither have I. Looks like my initial problems with the system slowing down when I had multiple flash instances open was also linked to the driver issue and my FireTV stick not working as planned was entirely either Amazon's billing-fuckup or that of the school Wifi.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
3 tons of wood pellets and a new Husqvarna 24" snow blower for this winter.

Today's temp? 70.

Finished showing the kid all six star wars movies and going to an Alamo Draft house new years day for the new movie.

She got a db8 sphero robot. Where the gently caress were those toys when I was a kid? I had big wheels, loving lawn darts and banana seat bikes.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I don't like all the weird touch bullshit and massively inconsistent UI stuff that still exists in 10 but it's mostly been fine. I tried going back to 7 for a while but ended up deciding I might as well bite the bullet.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Evil SpongeBob posted:

Finished showing the kid all six four star wars movies

The prequels never existed :catstare:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It was kind of weird how there was only one black dude in the new movie.

I guess it's keeping with tradition?

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.

Tokyo Sexwhale posted:

The prequels never existed :catstare:

Part of raising children involves exposing them to the disappointment of life (beyond the disappointment of having me as a father).

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I like Windows 10

Mr. Nice! posted:

i've deliberately not upgraded to 10 and keep hiding each new update they're using to force it on people. I run windows for exactly one program and win7 gets it done just fine.

that's cool man have fun with those blatant security flaws

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Evil SpongeBob posted:

Part of raising children involves exposing them to the disappointment of life (beyond the disappointment of having me as a father).

Instill your disappointment of them and it will be stronger than the rest.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
if you really want your kids to understand disappointment just let them go talk to a recruiter.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Cole posted:

if you really want your kids to understand disappointment just let them go talk to a recruiter.

cole we are talking about disappointment, not about potential child abuse.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

No way. **knocks Annapolis ring on table**

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

My only problems with it are my own fault, I put my desktop to sleep rather than shutting it down and Windows 10 comes default with a lot of poo poo that it feels is important enough to wake the computer, and thus me, at 2:45 in the morning. So I've been rooting all of those out of the task scheduler. Otherwise I haven't had any issues.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Restaurant buddy gave me 3 nice chunks of fresh salmon. I have a skillet oven and all that jazz. Best way to cook it?

I literally need it by the numbers here.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

I was super pissed when Windows 10 went and auto installed itself without my permission

And then my sound drivers went apeshit and refused to work, and caused my system to reboot every 5 minutes.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Restaurant buddy gave me 3 nice chunks of fresh salmon. I have a skillet oven and all that jazz. Best way to cook it?

Do you have a smoker? Cause smoked salmon is just about the best you can get. Otherwise I just let the salmon be it's own flavor and don't add much to it, some good olive oil and a little lemon pepper maybe, then pan fry it. Build the rest of the meal around it and let the salmon be itself.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Cook it based on how the meat is cut. Alton Brown has some dope videos on cooking salmon properly.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

I tried this a couple of weeks ago. Turned out really well. I couldn't find avocado oil so I just used butter or olive oil (can't remember). Definitely do not replace the cherry tomatoes with grape tomatoes...they are WAY too sweet.

The way to address the prequels is to only show them to your kids when your kids are able to digest the RLM reviews immediately after.

Edit: I hadn't had any Windows 10 problems at all until that graphics driver fiasco. My laptop still works fine, at least.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

I like Windows 10

that's cool man have fun with those blatant security flaws

Security updates till 2020 man. Maybe then W10 will be worth using.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Oh thought you meant you stopped all updates

• Locked thread