Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
i rolled a thaumaturge on some other server just to gently caress around with and try out combat

this game owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Literally The Worst posted:

i rolled a thaumaturge on some other server just to gently caress around with and try out combat

this game owns

Thaumaturge is prolly the most boring to level up too, it owns at high levels though so at least take it up to unlocking swiftcast.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

TwistedNails posted:

Thaumaturge is prolly the most boring to level up too, it owns at high levels though so at least take it up to unlocking swiftcast.

i had a blast just shooting snowballs and matches at poo poo, and i usually hate caster classes

so like, i can't wait to make my catboy punchman on Excalibur so i can make a ninja so i can literally be naruto: final fantasy edition, because that class is always my poo poo

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

i had a blast just shooting snowballs and matches at poo poo, and i usually hate caster classes

so like, i can't wait to make my potato punchman on Excalibur so i can make a ninja so i can literally be naruto: final fantasy edition, because that class is always my poo poo

I have mended your error.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Klades posted:

I have mended your error.

What

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Some people seem to think lalafells - potatos - are worth playing even though you can't see your outfits (the True Endgame) for crap. To their credit, they do have some pretty sweet animations (and mustaches on dude potatos).

The correct answer, of course, is anything with a skin reflectivenessmuscle slider. (In particular, the game is sorely lacking in roes.) If for no other reason than that they're big and thus you can admire your clothes properly.

Mr. Nice! posted:

transfers can be limited too.

I've heard this repeated a lot but haven't actually heard any recent anecdotes of "yes, I have experienced this personally". Now transfers are limited by the age of a character (you have to wait I think 72 hours after creating it before you can transfer it elsewhere), but I don't think they run into the same server congestion issues that direct character creation does. Or if they do, it's a much higher cutoff.

Anecdotally, I've known several people who have recently and effortlessly transferred to Balmung (which, due to what I can only presume is the catgirl ERP allure, is even more densely populated than Excalibur) even during prime time. They had to wait out the timer after creating their characters on another server but that was the only issue.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

so like, i can't wait to make my catboy punchman on Excalibur so i can make a ninja so i can literally be naruto: final fantasy edition, because that class is always my poo poo

Just to note, you can level all the classes on a single character and switch between them, the ability to do so will unlock at... I forget exactly when, I want to say level 15? So your catman can be a punchman and also be a wizard (but not at the same time). Also worth noting that Ninja is from rogue, pugilist will become a Monk. Decide on an appearance you'll be happy with for a very long time!

Ninjas also get a sweet flip jump animation that is unique to them, so look forward to that.

Edit: Potato is a slur for Lallafel, whom you will come to understand are a blight upon the world

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Level 10 class quest unlocks the class/job-switching mechanic.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
make an elezen, there is not enough giraffe necks

im so lonely

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Vil posted:

Some people seem to think lalafells - potatos - are worth playing even though you can't see your outfits (the True Endgame) for crap. To their credit, they do have some pretty sweet animations (and mustaches on dude potatos).

The correct answer, of course, is anything with a skin reflectivenessmuscle slider. (In particular, the game is sorely lacking in roes.) If for no other reason than that they're big and thus you can admire your clothes properly.

I've heard this repeated a lot but haven't actually heard any recent anecdotes of "yes, I have experienced this personally". Now transfers are limited by the age of a character (you have to wait I think 72 hours after creating it before you can transfer it elsewhere), but I don't think they run into the same server congestion issues that direct character creation does. Or if they do, it's a much higher cutoff.

Anecdotally, I've known several people who have recently and effortlessly transferred to Balmung (which, due to what I can only presume is the catgirl ERP allure, is even more densely populated than Excalibur) even during prime time. They had to wait out the timer after creating their characters on another server but that was the only issue.

I had to get up in the wee hours to transfer over to excal back in 2.2 because transfers were restricted as well.

Edit: I should note I'm not saying definitively that transfers are limited right now, but they certainly have been in the past. I couldn't tell you if they are at the moment honestly.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

Kitfox88 posted:

make an elezen, there is not enough giraffe necks

im so lonely

Sorry to hear you're alone in your choice of garbo races, buddy.

Obviously the only appropriate choice for a Japanese fantasy game is catgirl. And if you're playing with Goons, you need to go catgirl with a food name.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Meldonox posted:

Obviously the only appropriate choice for a Japanese fantasy game is catgirl. And if you're playing with Goons, you need to go catgirl with a food name.

What people don't understand is there are no catboys in this game. There are male catgirls and female catgirls, but there are no catboys.

Also Roegadyn supremacy.

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001

Vil posted:

(In particular, the game is sorely lacking in roes.)

Seconding (thirding?) the need for more Galka Roegadyn!

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Meldonox posted:

if the dudeazen could wear the pretty dresses i'd be a male instead, for maximum lonely

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Kitfox88 posted:

if the dudeazen could wear the pretty dresses i'd be a male instead, for maximum lonely

The only good dudeazen is a dead dudeazen.

And he will be forever missed.

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

Catgirl supremacy you nerds

petcarcharodon
Jun 25, 2013
You might as well go full anime fantasy in your anime fantasy MMO and be the pretty cat/dragongirl you always dreamed of being.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Obligatum VII posted:

Just to note, you can level all the classes on a single character and switch between them, the ability to do so will unlock at... I forget exactly when, I want to say level 15? So your catman can be a punchman and also be a wizard (but not at the same time). Also worth noting that Ninja is from rogue, pugilist will become a Monk. Decide on an appearance you'll be happy with for a very long time!

Ninjas also get a sweet flip jump animation that is unique to them, so look forward to that.

Edit: Potato is a slur for Lallafel, whom you will come to understand are a blight upon the world

Gotta get something to 10 to unlock Rogue though, so I figure I may as well do the one that's a secondary for Ninja

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
Thank you to whoever used my recruitment code in PGS

This thing is loving huge

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009
Pretty bird!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Meldonox posted:

The only good dudeazen is a dead dudeazen.

And he will be forever missed.

That's why the 60 LTW quest is great.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

So your solution is to cut out the difficulty of Savage and keep Normal on hand holding mode? Yea, people will not get bored after they finish your raiding content fast. Making Normal more on the level of Final Coil and Savage brutally difficult is what makes the raiding content last through two patches. Seriously, does this team know what is good for the raiding scene? The answer is not casually.

As always, good job SE. - -;

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

:gary: gently caress YOU SQUEENIX I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU DIDN'T MAKE THE CONTENT SO DIFFICULT THAT ONLY 50 PEOPLE FROM ANY GIVEN SERVER CAN POSSIBLY COMPLETE IT :yarg:

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009
Go play Wildstar.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

What's really funny is people got bored this patch because they couldn't clear the raiding content.

As a hardcore raider who went through a loving torture gauntlet to get A4S and below on farm, all I've gotten from the experience is the understanding that Yoshi shouldn't have been listening to people like me, and indeed should never listen to people like me in the future, if listening to us results in a raid tier like Gordias Savage. It harms the wider game in order to cater to such a small fraction of the population.

They had the solution back in Second Coil by having a hard-but-not-ballbuster raid during the raid patch and a bragging-rights-only savage version in the off patch. That was fine, that was something for the real keeners while also leaving the raid open for a larger population. Add a babby-mode like alex normal for people who just want the plot and call it good.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Valle posted:

Seconding (thirding?) the need for more Galka Roegadyn!

As a Roe I can attest that Roegadyn are fantastic.

The only class that doesn't really work for them is BRD and maybe BLM, every other class has some pretty nice animations (especially the Arcanist ones).

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
Story mode was a mistake.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

I know I got beaten to this while typing this post, but the correct solution is to tune it so there's a normal for the rabble who can't or don't raid for whatever reason, a somewhat more difficult hard mode for the organized casual who wants challenge but doesn't care about bragging rights, and a savage mode that's tuned so people who enjoy banging their heads against the wall week after week get their sense of fulfillment.

If three levels of difficulty isn't an option though, yeah, gently caress every last person who'd unironically gripe about casuals. Hardcore raid dorks alienating casuals is like meatheads alienating resolutioners at the gym. If they aren't as invested in it as you, let them have their fun and be nice to them so their subscriptions can subsidize your hobby. When games cater only to you they crash and burn because you aren't a valuable enough market demographic to sustain them.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

ApplesandOranges posted:

As a Roe I can attest that Roegadyn are fantastic.

Only the Roegadames, really. There's plenty of male Roes running around usually being lovely tanks, we don't need more.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Roegadame supremacy.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

kafziel posted:

Only the Roegadames, really. There's plenty of male Roes running around usually being lovely tanks, we don't need more.

I've almost gone Roegadame a half dozen times, my only problem is I just am never happy with the nose.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Kwyndig posted:

I've almost gone Roegadame a half dozen times, my only problem is I just am never happy with the nose.

Go Hellsguard. Embrace it. You have an adorable nose pad and that's something to be proud of.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Except somehow, you've managed to minimize it completely in that screenshot. It looks like it's just the normal shadow to me.

If I could figure that out, I'd have done that, but because I couldn't I had to try and get the one non-green skin shade.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

So one newbie gives a full alliance the bonus. Also you can survive all the platinals smashing into the bone dragon at once apparently.

Griz
May 21, 2001

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Except somehow, you've managed to minimize it completely in that screenshot. It looks like it's just the normal shadow to me.

I think there's something with the lighting in the character creation screen that makes the nose thing a lot more noticeable than it is in game.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
i randomly managed to get in on excalibur, started loving around with a marauder, got to level 6, did some bullshit, game's good, 10/10

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
When I was playing the free trial I had a Roegaman Thaumaturge for a bit on a non-Excal server (Cactuar, I think) and he was pretty cool. Muscle Wizard.

My current character is Elezen. I like the aesthetic of tall and thin; it makes robes look good. I normally don't play casters, but I'm in love with them in this game.

Griz posted:

I think there's something with the lighting in the character creation screen that makes the nose thing a lot more noticeable than it is in game.

You can change the background to a few other options, which changes the lighting as well. There should be little circles in the bottom right corner of the character creation screen (this also works when getting a haircut).

Zweihander01
May 4, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

So one newbie gives a full alliance the bonus. Also you can survive all the platinals smashing into the bone dragon at once apparently.

We should do that more often. Just smashing our way through CT was pretty great, given how many times I've been stuck in slow or bad groups when the content was current.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Meiteron posted:

They had the solution back in Second Coil by having a hard-but-not-ballbuster raid during the raid patch and a bragging-rights-only savage version in the off patch. That was fine, that was something for the real keeners while also leaving the raid open for a larger population. Add a babby-mode like alex normal for people who just want the plot and call it good.

Blizzard warned folks about this back in Burning Crusade: Devoting half your development budget to content only 5% of the player base will ever see when it's relevant is like lighting 100 dollar bills up and smoking them. Not particularly rewarding and the money could be better used for something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Are people going to start up more statics now that Alex savage won't be so awful?

• Locked thread