Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Nfcknblvbl posted:

My favorite video of those Russian inventions is this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ON1j2TJCoQU

How could this possibly be better than trains?

lmao a great way to make everyone go deaf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Why does it even have the tether? You could just clear the space, a pilot is going to have to fly the thing anyway, and without the tether and rail, you'd have an emergency landing strip under you instead of a giant rail to crash into. Is it for power transfer, like, these things are electric or something?

And if it does need the tether and rail, why is the rail elevated??? If it was at ground level, again you'd be able to land!

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

The gently caress reason does it have wheels for anyway

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I translated the comments and it has some responses from the guy who uploaded it.

quote:

"Beautiful project. Confusing the issue an emergency landing in case of power failure on the bus. Although it is hardly an impossible task."

in case of sudden shutdown network failover provided by the internal power of supercapacitors, they are very light and thus allow no panic to sit quietly on the track.

quote:

Helicopter ground effect may be out of ground effect (out of ground effect), or in it. The screen effect is observed when the helicopter hovers close to the ground, where the air flow produced by the propeller, is reflected from the surface. Thus, the thrust of the aircraft is increased at the same angle of inclination of the blades. The effect is most pronounced in calm weather on a flat, hard surface. The display effect is observed at a minimum, provided that the distance between the housing and the substrate equals the length of the blade. In this case, the pilot must increase the overall move to stabilize the freeze. This reduces the real power that can employ a pilot, then there is a potential height of hovering at reduced accordingly.

quote:

You should not be judged on its own, I even had not occurred, I did it for myself, to be the first to see how in 50 years people will go. In this project, there is nothing that could not be solved with zadachey.Borba shumom- question is a multi-layer, high-quality protective sheathing, now even the vacuum panels produce. A hull design this can be easy with today's commercially available carboxylic profiles even its builders will be able to collect using wrenches. And there are wheels on cases of an emergency landing, that he was able to ride on the momentum. A tail is a current collector through it enters 4000 watt pure power, without engine, without fuel tank, transmission and no hand-outs, and the type of stuff the cooling system. He has only four electric car of 1000 kilowatts, with the highest possible efficiency and a modern system of management of these drives (as an example of Siemens) and as a shell casing from the finest carbon fiber, weighing several tons in all. And everything else -human weight of 1000 pieces, weighing 85 kilograms average person, it's about the weight of a good railway wagon. 

quote:

Good evening, everyone. Here we have tried to show that now can craft, made of modern materials and the effective mass of 50-70 kilograms per conditioned passenger trains is about one ton per passenger, as they say, feel the difference. And not fly high, also has some very serious advantages. First - we can feed an electric current from a steel trestle over which we fly, and it allows us to not have to aircraft such mandatory for autonomous aircrafts things as fuel, cooling, batteries, gears, transmission shafts, gearbox, clutch brake rotor, main gearbox, and you ponimaete- is the hardest thing in the helicopter and not reliable in operation. Freed from all that, the aircraft becomes much easier and more reliable at times. The phone is nothing but electrical drives and drive control system, it is a very reliable thing, even just because it is extremely simple. Second - modern electric motors can achieve a unique ratio of weight to the power of 5 kW per 1 kg of weight in most modern helicopters is hardly typed 1 kW per 1 kg of body weight of the motor. In short, eat through the current collector, and have in the cabinet only drive end of a completely new and very advantageous condition at the drives are so high acceleration speed, in the direction of increasing that to decrease the number of revolutions that it can in the sky, rooted to the spot as tied, maneuverability is fantastic. Third - is at a height of 4-6 meters from the ground, we are in the area of ​​the effective screen effect when the highest traction screws when the lowest cost of maintaining the flight. Many were able to observe how the toy kvadrakopter losing charging at high altitude, falls down and the ground seemed to come alive, that he gets into a zone of ground effect, allowing it to more long time hanging in the air, flying low relatively little expensive and much safer . Flying to 6 meters, you can be sure that any failure will not lead to a fatal accident, he just sits on his streak of 4 support legs and rolled along the overpass.

So it looks like it's designed to gently be lowered onto the track in case of power failure, and the connection to the track does provide electricity so it's not self-propelled. This means the actual "vehicle" would be extremely light for its size.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Dahir Insaat is a FSB/GRU plot to make American HATO Nazifascist heads explode.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

The noise of that thing would be absolutely deafening

So you're saying that the noise of that thing won't be bothering anyone, at least not for long?

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
The super capacitor system for emergency power is an interesting idea, but a pretty big complication. Also capacitors aren't like batteries that can provide a few volts for a very long period of time and some inrush capability - they store power as a static charge, not chemically.

As far as the motors go, you may be able to get a much higher HP/weight ratio with high voltage superconducting motors - these are currently being researched and developed, but of course require cryogenics.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Uthor posted:

So you're saying that the noise of that thing won't be bothering anyone, at least not for long?

I guess some problems fix themselves

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

And to think I believed that the Aérotrain was the pinnacle of jet‐powered‐hovertrain insanity.

XYZ
Aug 31, 2001

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I wonder how many KHL hockey teams this thing can killhold at a time?

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3CWS1z_py4

Taking apart a partially-melted nuclear reactor core. Carefully.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
All the flying train needs is rockets to make it go fast and I'm in

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Platystemon posted:

And to think I believed that the Aérotrain was the pinnacle of jet‐powered‐hovertrain insanity.

This rules.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

Platystemon posted:

This lead me to the HOVER TRAIN TEST TRACK in Pueblo, CO. That's crazy. Then it said the TGV was supposed to be jet powered. Fuel crisis hit and they said - nah - we'll do NUCLEAR POWER TRAIN! Actually they just electrified it and built lots of nuclear reactors. France's electric power grid is now 75% nuclear.

Is all this because of this rediculous hover train? :tinfoil:

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

Platystemon posted:

this was clearly awesome and should have been built and used for real

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ysj8UcKOR8

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

chitoryu12 posted:

Helicopter ground effect may be out of ground effect (out of ground effect), or in it. The screen effect is observed when the helicopter hovers close to the ground, where the air flow produced by the propeller, is reflected from the surface. Thus, the thrust of the aircraft is increased at the same angle of inclination of the blades. The effect is most pronounced in calm weather on a flat, hard surface. The display effect is observed at a minimum, provided that the distance between the housing and the substrate equals the length of the blade. In this case, the pilot must increase the overall move to stabilize the freeze. This reduces the real power that can employ a pilot, then there is a potential height of hovering at reduced accordingly.

So he's using wing-in-ground effect? That is a very Russian technique. And yeah, it's electric and that trolley thing is the power pickup.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

So he's using wing-in-ground effect? That is a very Russian technique. And yeah, it's electric and that trolley thing is the power pickup.

A WIG?!

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
I love how it services only half the highway and gently caress all else.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Excellent use of a two butt four.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
The OSHA violation is that you're supposed to wear goggles when viewing that potbellied, dong-exposing idiot?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
should've read the thread's MSDS before posting

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Dec 29, 2015

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Kesper North posted:

The OSHA violation is that you're supposed to wear goggles when viewing that potbellied, dong-exposing idiot?

They do nothing.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

That guy is actually reading this thread.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Angela Christine posted:

They do nothing.

:vince: :perfect:

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

helicopter train posted:

Good evening, everyone. Here we have tried to show that now can craft, made of modern materials and the effective mass of 50-70 kilograms per conditioned passenger trains is about one ton per passenger, as they say, feel the difference. And not fly high, also has some very serious advantages. First - we can feed an electric current from a steel trestle over which we fly, and it allows us to not have to aircraft such mandatory for autonomous aircrafts things as fuel, cooling, batteries, gears, transmission shafts, gearbox, clutch brake rotor, main gearbox, and you ponimaete- is the hardest thing in the helicopter and not reliable in operation. Freed from all that, the aircraft becomes much easier and more reliable at times. The phone is nothing but electrical drives and drive control system, it is a very reliable thing, even just because it is extremely simple. Second - modern electric motors can achieve a unique ratio of weight to the power of 5 kW per 1 kg of weight in most modern helicopters is hardly typed 1 kW per 1 kg of body weight of the motor. In short, eat through the current collector, and have in the cabinet only drive end of a completely new and very advantageous condition at the drives are so high acceleration speed, in the direction of increasing that to decrease the number of revolutions that it can in the sky, rooted to the spot as tied, maneuverability is fantastic. Third - is at a height of 4-6 meters from the ground, we are in the area of ​​the effective screen effect when the highest traction screws when the lowest cost of maintaining the flight. Many were able to observe how the toy kvadrakopter losing charging at high altitude, falls down and the ground seemed to come alive, that he gets into a zone of ground effect, allowing it to more long time hanging in the air, flying low relatively little expensive and much safer . Flying to 6 meters, you can be sure that any failure will not lead to a fatal accident, he just sits on his streak of 4 support legs and rolled along the overpass.

Is simple, like telephone. You no like?

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Sure its cool, but what I really want is to go to Station 5 to eat at Burger

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
The videos of his artery cleaning contraptions are showing up on Facebook with titles along the lines of "doctors revolutionize health care"

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Well... I guess the statement is technically factual, it doesn't claim that doctors use what's in the video to do so

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
a revolution isn't necessarily a good thing tbh

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
that walkway in the Star Wars: The Force Awakens; does the First Order have no health and safety guidance documents?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

gender illusionist posted:

that walkway in the Star Wars: The Force Awakens; does the First Order have no health and safety guidance documents?

The original Death Star didn't even have handrails.

Things have improved.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
They're allowing Lucas to go back in and make one last Special SPECIAL Edition, so he can make everything safer so young children and millennials don't get frightened.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

When your employees literally don't have names, safety isn't a high priority.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The safety of the death star has long been an issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bSZXucTH4A

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
What do you expect with a space station designed by weirdo bug people and built by Wookie slave laborers?

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

They're allowing Lucas to go back in and make one last Special SPECIAL Edition, so he can make everything safer so young children and millennials don't get frightened.

needs handrails for the walkway too

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

needs handrails for the walkway too

Maybe a harness and tie-off point?

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
why do i have to put on a harness and tie-off every time i want to adjust the thermostat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Jackhammer versus 11kV power cable. Power cable sort-of wins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIGfONIL1jg

• Locked thread