Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

facebook jihad posted:

I personally would like it if TFS starts making 'Goku is a good dad' jokes from here on out to swerve fans and move away from the 'Goku is a bad dad' joke that has been done to death.

The episode was really good and a return to form for a series that has been slumping in the most recent episodes.

To be fair there is only one bad daddin moment left then Goku barely interacts with Gohan for the rest of the series.

It will be good seeing that moment as it probably be a serious moment instead of treating it as a joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

HGH posted:

Sorry for the change of topics but is it true Japanese Goku has an extreme hick accent? Because I'd love a version of that in English, just to hear the attack names.

I've not heard it about Goku, though it's likely because he is a total hick but I know that it's the intention with ChiChi and how she says "Goku-sa" instead of "-san".

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Goku spends most of the Buu saga dicking around with Gohan.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Burkion posted:

Except, even as sweet and endearing as this is

The reasons he's doing this are...misguided at best. Gohan is literally 10 years old. He's going to be 11 when he fights Cell.

That's a full year younger than Goku was before he even met Bulma, let alone had to take on the crazy poo poo he had to. And Goku was a very...different kind of kid compared to Gohan.

The fact that, in canon, Piccolo calls out Goku on being a total idiot as far as throwing him at Cell and expecting him to just magically act like a fighter when he's not, is why there are so many 'Goku is a terrible dad' jokes to begin with.

He loves his son, he truly does- but Goku does not think like a father should because he barely understands the concept.

Also, he's absent for like half of Gohan's childhood. Sure, he's dead or in space for most of that, but in DBZ, that's just an inconvenience. And after Cell, he chooses to stay dead.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

sharktamer posted:

In a training montage, he mostly interacts with the Kai's

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
ok you win I'm sorry Goku has caused you so much pain

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

sharktamer posted:

remember that time gohan's girlfriend got beat up and goku goes to get senzu beans to help her but gets distracted for like half an hour or something eating korrin out of house and home

gohan was stuck worrying and waiting the whole time

other than that he's cool to gohan, except maybe for the time where he takes a nap while gohan is stuck listening to elder kai do the chicken dance for a day

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

sharktamer posted:

ok you win I'm sorry Goku has caused you so much pain

I wasn't insulting Goku, that is just how the Saga works out.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I've not heard it about Goku, though it's likely because he is a total hick but I know that it's the intention with ChiChi and how she says "Goku-sa" instead of "-san".

Now that you mention it, isn't it weird that Chichi/Gohan/Videl keep using honorifics with their respective spouses?

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
the hate boner this thread has for goku is loving disgusting

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Goku helped kill his brother, he's an awful man

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

the hate boner this thread has for goku is loving disgusting

Agreed. Also the 'Gohan got chumped' criticism is dumb since Gohan really just didn't work as a main protagonist. The series shifting back to Goku and Vegeta was a good decision.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

facebook jihad posted:

Agreed. Also the 'Gohan got chumped' criticism is dumb since Gohan really just didn't work as a main protagonist.

Agreed, except not really and you are dumb

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

HGH posted:

Sorry for the change of topics but is it true Japanese Goku has an extreme hick accent? Because I'd love a version of that in English, just to hear the attack names.

He does, yeah. He uses "ora" rather than "ore", and a few other corruptions in his speech. I don't know if it's extreme, not being a native or even fluent Japanese speaker, but he does have a clearly unusual way of speaking.

facebook jihad posted:

Agreed. Also the 'Gohan got chumped' criticism is dumb since Gohan really just didn't work as a main protagonist. The series shifting back to Goku and Vegeta was a good decision.

There's a gigantic difference between simply lowering his role as a result of not being fit for protagonism (which I don't agree with, but whatever), and the terrible treatment he's gotten in the movies. He's been made a gigantic beatstick for everything else despite his strength, outright lost his super mode by Resurrection "F", and he's literally the only person not to go to the Universe 6 tournament in the Super manga. Even the Pilaf Gang is there, Gohan gets left out. Not to mention how Goku outright refuses to bring him despite bringing the even now far weaker Piccolo.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

No one in this thread hates Goku.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I liked gohan's stuff at the beginning of the buu saga and I wouldn't have minded goku staying dead with gohan taking over for him. goku's cool, but so's gohan and either works for me

him not being the main protagonist isn't so much of a problem (tho it is weird that they went back on that after building up to him finally surpassing his dad nearly from the moment he was introduced as a character) as it is a bummer that all he ever did after killing cell was stall buu until getting chumped. he could still be a side character without being the new yamcha in super. similarly, it's also a shame how piccolo was basically irrelevant from the moment cell absorbed 17 and it's cool that he might get to do stuff again in super

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

You know who's cooler than Gohan?

Everyone.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Love_That_Goku

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Yeah the part of the show post Cell were Gohan was the main character were really good.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it's funny how he was still being built up as the main character who would defeat buu until the moment buu absorbs gotenks. even goku was like "nah man, I don't want to be the main character anymore. the living should solve their own problems!" sorry buddy, not gonna happen.

yeah it was obvious goku was gonna be the one to kill buu at the end, but still they spent some time building up to how powerful mystic gohan was gonna be. which he was, to be fair. what I didn't like was how his end of usefulness was him just crumpling under the pressure for the first time since, like, nappa. then battle of gods happens and lol

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

facebook jihad posted:

I hate Adult Goku and much prefer Gohan but even setting aside such biases, it's just plain bad storytelling here. They spent all that time building up Gohan and sure enough, Gohan is way the gently caress stronger than any other single person in the show. Only, after devoting all this time to "Gohan will be the best ever and save the day" he's randomly chumped and made to look like a fool. Missing that earring was just the final slap in the face to Gohan's cred as a hero.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I think a lot of what happened to Gohan was Toriyama bowing to the pressure of the fans wanting to see Goku and Vegeta fuse.

Not that that excuses it, Gohan deserved way better.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

on the other hand, one thing I think is really good about goku returning to main character status is that vegeta got to complete his character arc by finally admitting to himself that goku is stronger and that's ok. he probably could have done that anyway since he died while goku was still dead, and I bet there's a dynamic you could form between gohan and vegeta, but it worked out. all of vegeta's stuff in the buu saga is really good. but then, vegeta is really good so go figure

funny how vegeta has the most consistently developing character among the main cast when his rival goku doesn't really change at all in his adult life until like resurrection of f. tho that is at the expense of kill stealing vegeta

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

on the other hand, one thing I think is really good about goku returning to main character status is that vegeta got to complete his character arc by finally admitting to himself that goku is stronger and that's ok.

He did that in every single DBZ arc since Frieza, though.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

he learned different things in every saga

in frieza he learned to ask for help, tho that was kind of a special case since he was literally about to die. at the very least he was able to open up in a way that he couldn't before
in cell he learned he actually cared about his family when trunks died
in buu he learned that his family is more important than his rivalry, how to show affection for his son, and that it's alright that goku is stronger than him

it's always about pride with vegeta, but he's not learning the same lesson over and over again or unlearning things as the series progresses. not even when he was about to die did he say that goku was better or stronger than him before the very end of the series, and he pretty clearly made a lot of progress with how he treats his family inbetween the beginning of the android saga and super

edit: stronger was the wrong word anyway. what he admits at the end is that goku is just plain better than him

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Dec 27, 2015

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Everybody in this thread loves Goku, but it doesn't change the fact that he is a bad dad. That won't ever change, because he's pretty objectively bad at it.

But it's alright, because children are bad.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Mordaedil posted:

Everybody in this thread loves Goku, but it doesn't change the fact that he is a bad dad. That won't ever change, because he's pretty objectively bad at it.

But it's alright, because children are bad.

It's also nice that Goku has a flaw, and it even is brought up in the Cell Saga giving him something like an arc! Granted it doesn't stick but still!

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Yeah we do all the bad dad jokes, but do I hate Goku? Nope. In fact BoG is why I loved Goku because he was goddam honest. Goddamn dude was pissed he couldn't achieve Super Sayian God on his own. and how does he take it when he realizes Beerus isn't even the strongest? He's like welll poo poo. (course now that just wanna makes him train more :v: )

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Yeah...Vegeta is great. Apart from the lifetime spent blowing up planets and killing billions (trillions?) under Frieza.

Yeah, yeah, blah, blah he was forced into it, but he sure had a smile on his face. Redemption is one thing, realizing what you did was wrong is one thing, but it's still really weird that everyone is just OK with Vegeta despite their knowledge of the atrocities he's committed.

Compare:

Yamcha may or may not have killed a few dozen people as a desert bandit.
Oolong "enslaved" and terrorized a village, but probably didn't kill anyone.
Tenshinhan and Chiaotzu may or may not have killed people as part of the Crane school.
Piccolo hasn't killed anyone besides villains. (King Piccolo is a different dude, doesn't count)
Mr. Buu hasn't technically killed anyone as he's essentially just the Supreme Kaioshin wrapped in a Buu gum wrapper at this point. He purged all his evil into Evil Buu.

Beerus is a completely different case in that he's essentially Shiva/Galactus/a force of nature and kills because that's his purpose. Although, it is still kind of weird that the cast is sort of "friends" with him now.

None of the other "villains turned into friends" have anyone near the kill count of Vegeta, in fact, none of them have ANY confirmed kills, least of all of innocent people. I understand that fans love Vegeta and all and Toriyama was pressured to make him a main cast member, and Dragon Ball is obviously a fantasy and we just kind of have to roll with it, but if any of these characters had anything approaching normal behavior, none of them would ever consider befriending Vegeta.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Mordaedil posted:

But it's alright, because it's a story for children.

Some Numbers posted:

I think a lot of what happened to Gohan was Toriyama bowing to the pressure of the fans wanting to see Goku and Vegeta fuse.

Not that that excuses it, Gohan deserved way better.

I don't disagree that it is crap from a storytelling perspective. But Gohan is just boring as a protagonist compared to Goku. He just never really feels like the guy; and I can understand why Toriyama would want to switch back to Goku, a character he was used to.

Honestly they should have just ended it at the end of the Cell Saga.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

gently caress no, Saiyaman rules.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Videl Pig-tails Saga is the best saga

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

piccolo killed goku that one time

which makes him the most efficient villain in the series when you think about it since goku only died to cell because he stayed to have a chat with king kai instead of teleporting them all away

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

True, with the speeds Goku could move at that point he could easily have survived all of that. he did it on purpose because hes a bad dad

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

CharlestheHammer posted:

gently caress no, Saiyaman rules.

Agreed

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Reinanigans posted:

Yeah...Vegeta is great. Apart from the lifetime spent blowing up planets and killing billions (trillions?) under Frieza.

Yeah, yeah, blah, blah he was forced into it, but he sure had a smile on his face. Redemption is one thing, realizing what you did was wrong is one thing, but it's still really weird that everyone is just OK with Vegeta despite their knowledge of the atrocities he's committed.

Compare:

Yamcha may or may not have killed a few dozen people as a desert bandit.
Oolong "enslaved" and terrorized a village, but probably didn't kill anyone.
Tenshinhan and Chiaotzu may or may not have killed people as part of the Crane school.
Piccolo hasn't killed anyone besides villains. (King Piccolo is a different dude, doesn't count)
Mr. Buu hasn't technically killed anyone as he's essentially just the Supreme Kaioshin wrapped in a Buu gum wrapper at this point. He purged all his evil into Evil Buu.

Beerus is a completely different case in that he's essentially Shiva/Galactus/a force of nature and kills because that's his purpose. Although, it is still kind of weird that the cast is sort of "friends" with him now.

None of the other "villains turned into friends" have anyone near the kill count of Vegeta, in fact, none of them have ANY confirmed kills, least of all of innocent people. I understand that fans love Vegeta and all and Toriyama was pressured to make him a main cast member, and Dragon Ball is obviously a fantasy and we just kind of have to roll with it, but if any of these characters had anything approaching normal behavior, none of them would ever consider befriending Vegeta.

I used to be the biggest Vegeta fanboy as a kid but he really is the worst. I guess just being an anti-hero who wasn't fighting for truth and justice made him appeal to a younger me.

These days I think Tien and Piccolo are much better examples of reformed villains.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

was tien ever a villain? he was kind of a dick in the second tournament, but that lasted like 3 chapters before roshi told him to quit it

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

HGH posted:

post-original series dub the script and sean schemmel have kind of went in that direction (from the original series' dub generic good guy goku). You hear it the best in Battle of Gods. He's not doing a full-on accent but he's definitely playing up the casual speech and tone.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Manatee Cannon posted:

was tien ever a villain? he was kind of a dick in the second tournament, but that lasted like 3 chapters before roshi told him to quit it

He was training to be an assassin, he broke Yamcha's leg for no reason and was prepared to kill Goku on his master's say so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Well, admittedly, many of Tien's most villainous actions come from the anime. It was really good filler, though! During the Dragon Ball hunt the party comes across one ball held by a guy Tien had permanently crippled because as you might recall, Tien didn't believe in taking it easy on his opponents back then.

But yeah, I guess while maybe villain is a strong word, he was certainly not a hero, either. I guess "rear end in a top hat" will do?

• Locked thread