Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
CAH is just Apples to Apples but bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Hat Thoughts posted:

CAH is just Apples to Apples but bad

Yeah, it can be fun with the right group, but even more than Apples, CAH devolves into people picking their favorite funny card. Many of the cards are also too specific so that it's essentially the same joke every time it's played. I'm sure having lots of expansions fixes some of these problem... but, like I don't care enough.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Snak posted:

Yeah, it can be fun with the right group, but even more than Apples, CAH devolves into people picking their favorite funny card. Many of the cards are also too specific so that it's essentially the same joke every time it's played. I'm sure having lots of expansions fixes some of these problem... but, like I don't care enough.

All expansions do is extend the time before you realise how poo poo the game is. You can feasibly patch up holes in your car with newspaper and paint for years, but that doesn't mean it'll ever be a good car.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Well I was going to say "In a movie theater." because it's in wide release in the US as of the 23rd, but I forget if you're located here or in another country. Looking at the release schedule on IMDB, it looks like it's hitting several countries in the coming weeks.

Ahh, I'm in South Florida and I kinda just assumed it wasn't playing anywhere near me cause I thought it was limited release and nothing good comes near me. But if it's wide release I should be able to find it somewhere.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Hat Thoughts posted:

Nah, it's not

Ok, the dude who owned it claimed that was why he bought it. I guess he was wrong. It's still a garbage game.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Steve2911 posted:

All expansions do is extend the time before you realise how poo poo the game is. You can feasibly patch up holes in your car with newspaper and paint for years, but that doesn't mean it'll ever be a good car.

Yeah, hence why I haven't bought the game or any expansions. A previous roommate had it and an expansion or two, I think. I think my ex had it as well. So I've played a reasonable amount and have no interest in buying it.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Jenny Angel posted:

I had this vague impression that it was really long and methodical but in hindsight I based that on its name and exactly nothing else

Its a pretty slow burn at times but it fits the mood very well and it never feels like its wasting any time. Its a very funny film and the humour is pretty physical and even slapstick but at the same time very dark. It owes a lot to acid-westerns like Dead Man and The Shooting as the frontier depicted in it is for the most part this mystical nightmare place of brutality and death but there are also some traces of the older idea that the frontier stands for freedom, opportunity and hope.

The soundtrack is fantastic and Micheal Fassbender, who produces, gives a great performance.

Anonymous Robot posted:

Merry Christmas goons

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
YOU FUCKERS NEED TO WATCH He Never Died so I have someone to talk to about it. God.

edit: maybe I should make a thread... I haven't made a thread in years...

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

My ex gave me a 365 Reasons to be Grumpy wall calendar last year, which was a 12 month calendar of Grumpy Cat with a DVD of that movie in the back. She gave it to me explicitly because she knew I would hate it. Ungifting is the best.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I really like the educational features on FrontRowCentral.com, especially the visual language stuff. Anyone know of any sites that have more stuff like that?

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Safety Factor posted:

Ok, the dude who owned it claimed that was why he bought it. I guess he was wrong. It's still a garbage game.

He didn't want to admit that he bought the game drawn by the dude who does The Oatmeal.

Uatu The Lurker
Sep 14, 2003

I can say no more!
Already I have over stayed my time in this ephemeral sphere!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I have a really good YTOTD: The Forbidden Files, a series of creepypasta-ish found footage shorts. I am certain they have been posted before but I cannot find the post, so credit to whomever originally posted them, as well as Jean Teddy-Filippe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2ARXsQI0gY

Since I didn't really see anyone else mention it: This is really loving cool, and thank you for finding it.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
What the gently caress is going on with Bruce Willis' career?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Anonymous Robot posted:

Merry Christmas goons

I like your Google Glass.

15,000 dollars?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

James Woods Fan posted:

I think he's pretty clearly in the "I'm here for a paycheck" phase of his career.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

CPL593H posted:

15,000 dollars?

And let's not forget about the elves.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

James Woods Fan posted:

It's a combination of not giving a gently caress, still getting paid millions and not knowing what else to do. He could just make life easier for himself by not being a dick, but when Stallone takes to Twitter to tell everyone how lazy you are then you should probably look at yourself.

He got sacked from that Woody Allen movie, apparently because he didn't know his lines, and for MISERY they have his lines taped up as he hasn't learned them yet. It's a shame, because I thought with LOOPER and MOONRISE KINGDOM we were going to get some good work out of him again.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Literally The Worst posted:

no idea what you're tlaking about

http://i.imgur.com/EpzGWJF.jpg

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Dammit man put some NSFW and NMS tags on there.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

I really like the educational features on FrontRowCentral.com, especially the visual language stuff. Anyone know of any sites that have more stuff like that?

Every Frame a Painting is pretty good, if you haven't seen that. Especially the videos on Spielberg, Drive, Bad Sleep Well, and Jackie Chan.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I'm having real second thoughts on driving an hour and a half to see Hateful Eight roadshow :smith:

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I was planning to see Hateful Eight on my way home today but the roads are getting worse and worse and I'd rather not freeze to death in a flooded ditch

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
I'm in Oklahoma and yeah, the roads are poo poo atm. I was gonna try to go see the OKC showing of the 70mm print but nuts to driving 2 hours in this garbage.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I already have my ticket to see the roadshow tomorrow, but it's supposed to snow/freeze up tonight and tomorrow.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It's thematically appropriate to feel trapped in a enclosed space during a rough snowstorm while seeing The Hateful Eight.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Yeah but you have to drive to Johnson county. The roads will be fine.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
I'm in Massachusetts and it's about 60 degrees out when it should be closer to 20. The world is ending.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

FishBulb posted:

I'm having real second thoughts on driving an hour and a half to see Hateful Eight roadshow :smith:
It's a dope Tarantino movie and the roadshow experience is awesome. An hour and a half drive is totally worth it. I was considering driving 6 hours to see it before I found out it was playing here.

CPL593H posted:

I'm in Massachusetts and it's about 60 degrees out when it should be closer to 20. The world is ending.
On Christmas here it was 80 degrees and it's 80 degrees now too. I feel like in a week, we'll have a hard freeze or something. New Orleans weather is bipolar like that.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

I have just decided to get drunk later when my family goes to bed since I've got tomorrow off. Sorry roadshow :negative:

I think I'll watch The Brood, my Criterion Collection bluray needs a spin.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Glamorama26 posted:

I'm in Oklahoma and yeah, the roads are poo poo atm. I was gonna try to go see the OKC showing of the 70mm print but nuts to driving 2 hours in this garbage.

Yeah

Alfred P. Pseudonym fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Dec 27, 2015

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

Yeah, I was still convinced I could give it a go this morning and then I saw that my street was flooding and it was like 35 degrees so I made ham instead.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

morestuff posted:

Every Frame a Painting is pretty good, if you haven't seen that. Especially the videos on Spielberg, Drive, Bad Sleep Well, and Jackie Chan.

This is dope, thank you!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Mister J posted:

Since I didn't really see anyone else mention it: This is really loving cool, and thank you for finding it.

Which one is your favorite? I really like The Witch and The Ferguson Case.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Weather chat:
It was 80 degrees on Christmas, it was 75 degrees today, but now the rain has hit and it's supposed to go down to like 40 tonight. Texas weather. :shepface:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

fruitpunch posted:

I don't know how anyone could hate Cards Against Humanity, it resulted in my mother googling "fleshlight" on christmas day, as well as me having to explain what bukakke is, to my extended family

I can come up with my own funny poo poo to say when I'm with friends.

E: Looks like Dickeye got his Christmas bonus.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

When is Making A Murderer supposed to get good? Because I've heard people saying it's amazing and hard to watch and poo poo, but I'm almost at the end of the second episode and so far it just seems mostly boring.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

When is Making A Murderer supposed to get good? Because I've heard people saying it's amazing and hard to watch and poo poo, but I'm almost at the end of the second episode and so far it just seems mostly boring.

I find it really weird that you don't find it instantly compelling. Like... it's just an endless series of stomach-turning shoe-dropping and bad liars being blown up on stand.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Lurdiak posted:

I find it really weird that you don't find it instantly compelling. Like... it's just an endless series of stomach-turning shoe-dropping and bad liars being blown up on stand.
I guess it's the presentation that's not doing anything for me? I don't know. For example, I found The Jinx instantly compelling, and I guess that could be considered a show comparable to this one. But I suppose that one had a different kind of structure which drew me in.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Ugh, I saw Youth.

ugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I didn't see The Jinx so I can't comment. The matter-of-fact presentation works for me, because it makes the moments where you see just how desperate and vulnerable Steve Avery and his family are hit that much harder. But hey , if it don't grab you, I guess that's not going to suddenly change if you keep watching.

• Locked thread