Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
If you're into politics, trade embargos, gungans and really elaborate lightsaber fights I guess TPM has quite a few memorable bits. Honestly it's a rather memorable movie even if you're not into all of those things, Darth Maul had a very distinctive appearance, so did Natalie Portman, and who can forget Jar Jar and the midichlorians really.

That movie did not lack memorable moments, whether you view those memories fondly or not is a different question altogether.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starry skies above
Aug 23, 2015

by zen death robot

ImpAtom posted:

I am comfortable in saying that people will remember Kylo Ren stabbing Han Solo to death.

Big dramatic moment to be sure, but nothing was remarkable or suspenseful about it. The "duel of the fates" sequence from TPM on the other hand was marvelous and far more dramatically effective...

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Steve2911 posted:

He's basically saying 'I could run from Paris to Brussels in less than 12 miles'. Which is stupid.

It's probably an in-universe shorthand for an actual unit of speed measurement, like "days/parsec".

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

The only scene I remember from TPM is the duel of the fates. And something something midichrolians.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

starry skies above posted:

Big dramatic moment to be sure, but nothing was remarkable or suspenseful about it. The "duel of the fates" sequence from TPM on the other hand was marvelous and far more dramatically effective...

You're obviously just looking for different things in a movie. Flashy choreography and the death of a character I hadn't been moved to care about aren't what I would call "dramatically effective". It was visually interesting, I guess, but there no shortage of visually interesting scenes/shots in The Force Awakens, either.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nah. The bridge scene was actually well done, making good use of color and lighting in addition to music to set the tone and mood of the scene as well as present a central major conflict that both actors pulled off well. It also will be memorable because of the events that occurred within.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

enraged_camel posted:

It's probably an in-universe shorthand for an actual unit of speed measurement, like "days/parsec".

The EU clarified that "making the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs" means that the ship is fast enough that it can cut much closer to the black holes that surround the Kessel system than a typical ship, meaning it could take a shortcut that made the trip less than 12 parsecs long.

Of course, that doesn't matter anymore since they threw the existing EU out the window and it was just an excuse to begin with, but still.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

The "duel of the fates" sequence from TPM on the other hand was marvelous and far more dramatically effective...

The three participants in that duel amounted to about one realized character between them.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

enraged_camel posted:

The only scene I remember from TPM is the duel of the fates. And something something midichrolians.

What about Pod Racing?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Pakled posted:

The EU clarified that "making the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs" means that the ship is fast enough that it can cut much closer to the black holes that surround the Kessel system than a typical ship, meaning it could take a shortcut that made the trip less than 12 parsecs long.

Of course, that doesn't matter anymore since they threw the existing EU out the window and it was just an excuse to begin with, but still.

I never thought I'd say this about anything regarding the EU, but that... makes sense.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

emanresu tnuocca posted:

If you're into politics, trade embargos, gungans and really elaborate lightsaber fights I guess TPM has quite a few memorable bits.

I mean, it's telling that people repeat politics and trade embargoes seeing as how those stop being part of the movie outside of like the 5 minute mark.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

can you describe four major characters in Avatar and their motivations without looking poo poo up on the internet?

Main Guy - Wanted his legs back and then to get some blue tail.
Robot Knife Man - Wanted to use his giant knife in his giant mech, also wanted to frag blue people.
Money Man - Liked money and rocks that could be converted into a bunch of money.
The planet - Just wanted to be left alone and for parts of it to be knocked over or blown up.
Ripley - Learning about poo poo and getting enough cigarettes.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

computer parts posted:

I mean, it's telling that people repeat politics and trade embargoes seeing as how those stop being part of the movie outside of like the 5 minute mark.

That's... A lie.

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

real_slime posted:

i only saw it once but i didn't really pick up on any 'rey is a skywalker' anvils. i'll probably go see it again in a few days, though, maybe i missed something. i hope she isn't a skywalker. better that way.

So the Resistance spends the entire movie trying to find Luke Skywalker and then sends some girl they just met to meet him all by herself

This only makes sense if they know who she really is and the scenes were cut for dramatic purposes

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
In ANH the Rebellion puts Luke Skywalker in an X-Wing despite having just got there.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Mermaid Autopsy posted:

So the Resistance spends the entire movie trying to find Luke Skywalker and then sends some girl they just met to meet him all by herself

This only makes sense if they know who she really is and the scenes were cut for dramatic purposes

Technically Chewie's there too right? Or he just dropped her off? I'm a bit fuzzy (ha) on that. The Resistance could always drop by later with Leia.

As for who Rey's parents are, wouldn't be too surprised if it's Luke.

Whenever I say Resistance I think of Terminator for the record.

starry skies above
Aug 23, 2015

by zen death robot
The whole "destiny" plot-line is overused and cliched. I hope Rey or whatever her name is just happens to be a regular gal with no blood connection to anybody we've ever met before. J.J Abrams loves the stiffling theme of "destiny." He used it in the Star Trek reboot where suddenly the Star Trek characters gain awareness that a great future awaits them as heroes.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Chucat posted:

Robot Knife Man - Wanted to use his giant knife in his giant mech, also wanted to frag blue people.

literally the only thing I remember about Avatar was the Robot Knife Fight song from the Rifftrax.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JY7pjp7RkLg&t=541s

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

Kurzon posted:

In ANH the Rebellion puts Luke Skywalker in an X-Wing despite having just got there.

Didn't his pilot friend vouch for him and say that Luke was the best pilot in Outer Rim territories? I honestly don't remember much.

Edit: It was Biggs.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Kurzon posted:

To be fair, even if you don't believe him there is 0 reason not to put the kid who claims to have experience hitting targets the size yours is in a ship if no one else thinks they can.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

The thing I remember most about Avatar was getting into heated fights with people who thought it was the best film ever made

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

computer parts posted:

Breaching the blockade of Naboo is just about the plot for that movie, it's a rather thin plot that gets sidetracked for significant portions of the movie but it's the plot.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

zen death robot posted:

So you really don't remember the movie do you?

The word "embargo" actually never shows up in the Phantom Menace.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

can you describe four major characters in Avatar and their motivations without looking poo poo up on the internet?

Aang -Defeat the Firelord
Sokka-Smoke weed, gently caress kyoshi warriors
Katara-Become a waterbender like her mom
Azula- gently caress poo poo up + make daddy love me

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

computer parts posted:

It's a blockade

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Smoking Crow posted:

It's a blockade

Which is mentioned 6 times on screen, 4 of which were in the window I mentioned and once after they escape from Naboo the first time.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

zen death robot posted:

So you really don't remember the movie do you?

You don't remember the kung-fu fights Sheev had to become emperor?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Smoking Crow posted:

The thing I remember most about Avatar was getting into heated fights with people who thought it was the best film ever made

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

computer parts posted:

*Head-desk*

That's not the loving point. The film is about a political standoff between the Naboo and the Trade Federation. Everything that happens in the movie is geared towards resolving this dispute. Even the good stuff on Tattooine only happens so that they can safely get to Coruscant and have a big political meeting about all the politics that are happening.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Steve2911 posted:

That's not the loving point. The film is about a political standoff between the Naboo and the Trade Federation. Everything that happens in the movie is geared towards resolving this dispute. Even the good stuff on Tattooine only happens so that they can safely get to Coruscant and have a big political meeting about all the politics that are happening.

Nope, it's about Palpatine manipulating both sides to get what he wants.

You could be forgiven for misunderstanding this if you didn't realize who Senator Palpatine was though.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

computer parts posted:

Nope, it's about Palpatine manipulating both sides to get what he wants.

You could be forgiven for misunderstanding this if you didn't realize who Senator Palpatine was though.

That sure sounds like politics.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

emanresu tnuocca posted:

That sure sounds like politics.

Also describes the climax of Return of the Jedi.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

computer parts posted:

What?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

How is the scene in the throne room not "Palpatine manipulating both sides to get what he wants"?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Since we're back to the same old tired Prequels argument, I'm just gonna go ahead and say that I loving love The Phantom Menace and consider it easily the best of the prequels and almost as good as the original movies.

It'd be really cool to see Liam Neeson come back for a Force Ghost moment.

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

Kurzon posted:

those were Jihadists recruiting for a suicide mission

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

computer parts posted:

How is the scene in the throne room not "Palpatine manipulating both sides to get what he wants"?

Because he's doing it with cool things like spaceships and men in gas masks rather than through trade disputes.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Y'all are helpfully showing why they did absolutely nothing to describe the political situation in TFA, even if it was pretty provably to the film's detriment (if not, like, huge detriment).

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

computer parts posted:

Mmm... The climax of ROTJ is arguably about the Emperor trying to corrupt Luke, and once that fails he tries to cut his losses and have Vader destroy luke but that backfires and he gets the shaft himself instead. Now the PT takes this little bit and makes it Palpatine's MO for the entirety of the trilogy, where in the OT he's a bit character whose attempt at getting Luke and Vader to kill one another backfires and costs him his life and his empire in the PT we get three movies where in each he's pulling strings behind the scenes and getting pretty much every faction in the galaxy to screw one another as he slowly becomes the fuhrer of the galaxy.

So yeah, there are similarities sure, but one is 'politics' and the other is 'evil dude trying to get a son to kill his father'.
Although I must say that I did appreciate the way the scene where Palpatine has Anakin execute Dooku rhymed with the climax from ROTJ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Mermaid Autopsy posted:

I mentioned this, and was told I hate women and wookies.

• Locked thread