Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

tooterfish posted:

If they want to do atmospheres properly they'll have to work out methods for procedurally modelling things like surface erosion, so it's not quite as simple as changing the flight model and sticking in some clouds. And I'd hope they'd want to do it properly, given the effort they've already put into planet generation.

I just assume that stellar Forge already accounts for this, they just don't use that information yet ala Horizons planetary generation. Regardless of the difficulty in doing it, for a new expansion sell it would be tough. What does lifeless atmospheric planets have to offer to make it worth buying if it's to be its own expansion? Horizons has taken the "wow" already, atmosphere is a much more subtle thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

tooterfish posted:

Blow up your poo poo if you want, no one's stopping you.

Before you do, you might want to check out the "Select Vehicle" option in the SRV menu though. I mean, it's right there next to Deploy so you've definitely both seen it!

Well gently caress me. It didn't register in my head that it would let me pick the SRV since I only saw the one displayed. I thought that would pick between different types of vehicles.

Xtanstic posted:

If we get atmospheric landings, fps is the last thing that I want. I want the ability to build a log cabin, claim a patch of land and play space farmer.

Some sort of colonization/outpost building would be pretty welcome, honestly. With as many planets exist you'd think they could let players set up their own settlements without having to worry about finding space.

Plek fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Dec 27, 2015

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

KakerMix posted:

I just assume that stellar Forge already accounts for this, they just don't use that information yet ala Horizons planetary generation. Regardless of the difficulty in doing it, for a new expansion sell it would be tough. What does lifeless atmospheric planets have to offer to make it worth buying if it's to be its own expansion? Horizons has taken the "wow" already, atmosphere is a much more subtle thing.
Stellar Forge already has all that information (and more), but it doesn't generate the planetary surfaces, it just provides data for it.

What I mean is: atmospheres erode planet surfaces in various ways over time (flowing liquids, weather systems etc), so for their surface generation to have the same verisimilitude as airless surfaces do now, it'd need to take all that into account just like it does for things like the tectonics and meteor impacts. Then you've got the actual atmospheres on top of that, active weather systems and poo poo... It's a lot more work than you'd think at first. I just can't see Frontier half arsing it, not their planet generation.

I agree it definitely doesn't seem like a headliner feature, I reckon there's still plenty of scope for "wow" though.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Regarding Horizons, I only got it for christmas and I've had some nice experiences with it. Nice enough to inspire me to start writing logs.

First one's up here http://inara.cz/cmdr-logbook/10654

Highlight images:

Appearances...

Can be decieving.

They sure do need a lot of weapons around here.

And dumb fools to fire them.

Binary moons are cool.

You can practically reach out and touch it!

Alas poor buggy, I knew you not.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Plek posted:

Well gently caress me. It didn't register in my head that it would let me pick the SRV since I only saw the one displayed. I thought that would pick between different types of vehicles.

Some sort of colonization/outpost building would be pretty welcome, honestly. With as many planets exist you'd think they could let players set up their own settlements without having to worry about finding space.

Something like mining outposts would even make sense and provide a logical route to making the mechanic profitable. Buy some ships and outfit them to protect the settlement, but you have to manually go there with a hauler to get your materials, then go back and sell them.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Libluini posted:

If we ever get that far, I'll start filling up my exploration-ship with plants and animals I collect from alien planets. Maybe I even toss strange alien artefacts into my private zoo if I feel like it.

Player economy finally implemented in the game as in the space future we return to an animal bartering system. I'll trade you two goats for your frog.

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

"I don't like that mooch...
or her pooch!
"
I've never been great at these games, but I've really been feeling the itch for a modern TIE Fighter and exploring space seems cool. How much of a handicap will I be at if I grab the base game at $14 instead of getting Horizons? $14 is a much safer investment on something I might wind up sucking at and uninstalling after a week, but if it's all going to be outdated and unplayable anyway, I'll just save up and maybe grab Horizons during the next sale.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Hellburger99 posted:

I've never been great at these games, but I've really been feeling the itch for a modern TIE Fighter and exploring space seems cool. How much of a handicap will I be at if I grab the base game at $14 instead of getting Horizons? $14 is a much safer investment on something I might wind up sucking at and uninstalling after a week, but if it's all going to be outdated and unplayable anyway, I'll just save up and maybe grab Horizons during the next sale.

You will not be gimped. Get the base version. Come play and see if it's your thing. If you like it, with the loyalty discount, Horizons is 45$.

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.

Hellburger99 posted:

I'll echo the post above, get the base game now, and get the expansion later if you want it. At present, Horizons adds only planetary landings to the game (which is only a very small portion of the stuff you'll typically be doing in-game), but will eventually comprise all season 2 content. I wouldn't worry too much about not being competitive compared to other players, the nature of the game is that you will always be taking things at your own pace, and will typically not see others much, if at all.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Is there a goto stick that isn't ridic expensive? I would prefer a split HOTAS if possible.

If anyone has managed to get this working through steam stream that would be great to know, because it would mean I can run trade missions on the sofa laptop.

IcePheenix
Mar 4, 2008
Does anyone know what the difference is between buying Horizons and Horizons Beta? One is $10 more and I don't really know why, both have the exact same description.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

IcePheenix posted:

Does anyone know what the difference is between buying Horizons and Horizons Beta? One is $10 more and I don't really know why, both have the exact same description.

Horizons beta shouldn't be available any longer, that is weird.

IcePheenix
Mar 4, 2008

Iglocska posted:

Horizons beta shouldn't be available any longer, that is weird.

I guess that means I should buy not-beta for $10 cheaper then :confused:

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

IcePheenix posted:

If you buy beta you will have beta access to 2.1, 2.2, etc. Throughout the year. That's all.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

CancerCakes posted:

Is there a goto stick that isn't ridic expensive? I would prefer a split HOTAS if possible.

Thrustmaster hotas-x is good and like $45.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Paramemetic posted:

Thrustmaster hotas-x is good and like $45.

Yeah you could get one from amazon with prime for like 33 bucks a few days ago and it was a newegg with shoprunner for like 40.

I got one after it being recommended and its a great introductory stick. There's a binding set you can get from steam thats fairly competent since it uses the 3 thumb buttons on the throttle as modifiers for a bunch of things. Only thing I changed was adding a ui back bind and switching the role and yaw methods. Its way better than using a keyboard and mouse.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
It's more fun, anyhow. It took me a long while to become as good a pilot with my HOTAS as I was with M+K. If you know how to set up and work the keyboard with thrusters it is far more precise to fly like that.

But the hotas is way, way more fun to fly.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I'm kind of poo poo, but I couldn't imagine playing this without at least a single joystick and having a full HOTAS is just gravy.

Though I was wondering if someone could give advice - the throttle on my X52-pro is bouncing back from something at full forward. It doesn't do it all the time, but mostly, and it's very annoying. I've tried fiddling with the force dial on the side but it doesn't do anything to adjust whatever its hitting inside. Is it time to take a screwdriver to the throttle and have a look inside?

Angrymog fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Dec 27, 2015

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Angrymog posted:

I'm kind of poo poo, but I couldn't imagine playing this without at least a single joystick and having a full HOTAS is just gravy.

Though I was wondering if someone could give advice - the throttle on my X52-pro is bouncing back from something at full forward. It doesn't do it all the time, but mostly, and it's very annoying. I've tried fiddling with the force dial on the side but it doesn't do anything to adjust whatever its hitting inside. Is it time to take a screwdriver to the throttle and have a look inside?

I would assume the tangled mess of wires inside is catching and creating tension. Please open it up and show me what's inside mine.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
I have an old X-45 that had similar spiking problems in the stick. I've had good luck pulling it apart and spraying some WD-40 on the potentiometers.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Tbh I'd rather have the throttle than the stick.

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said

Mike the TV posted:

I would assume the tangled mess of wires inside is catching and creating tension. Please open it up and show me what's inside mine.

If past experience of peeking inside these things has taught me anything, the answer is: more hotglue than you'd believe possible

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

So I have a hauling asp right now and it has like 116T of transport, I like it because I can land in outposts. Usually things like slaver missions have a big payout and they take you to outposts which are really easy to just drop off and find something new to do.

I have enough money to get a Type 7, would straight up hauling between stations provide more resources for me than losing access to outposts and their goods/ slaver missions? Would it be better to grind the rep and a few more millions to get a iClipper? Should I say gently caress the hauling life and get a combat vulture?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Keep saving for a Python.

timn
Mar 16, 2010

Angrymog posted:

The throttle purposely has detents built in at 25% and 75%. You're not talking about those are you?

In any case they're annoying and there are guides online to remove them. Given the spectre of Madcatz though, I'm leaving it alone until the warranty runs out just in case.

timn
Mar 16, 2010

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Should I say gently caress the hauling life and get a combat vulture?

The ultimate answer is do what you'll keep having fun at. If you think it's time for a change of pace to combat then a Vulture would be the right choice at your current budget. Doing bounties in RES is also the best money maker next to long-range smuggling.

From a money-making standpoint the Type-7 won't help much because hauling large volumes of regular goods isn't the way to get rich quick. The Asp you have is already arguably the best smuggling vessel in the game for the long-range stuff like Robigo.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Cao Ni Ma posted:

So I have a hauling asp right now and it has like 116T of transport, I like it because I can land in outposts. Usually things like slaver missions have a big payout and they take you to outposts which are really easy to just drop off and find something new to do.

I have enough money to get a Type 7, would straight up hauling between stations provide more resources for me than losing access to outposts and their goods/ slaver missions? Would it be better to grind the rep and a few more millions to get a iClipper? Should I say gently caress the hauling life and get a combat vulture?

This. Grit your teeth and press on. Neither the type-7 or the iClipper can land at outposts; in fact, I don't think there's anything suitable for large hauling that can between Asp and Python.

Plus, the python kicks rear end.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

timn posted:

The throttle purposely has detents built in at 25% and 75%. You're not talking about those are you?

In any case they're annoying and there are guides online to remove them. Given the spectre of Madcatz though, I'm leaving it alone until the warranty runs out just in case.

Nope, it's past 75%, it def. feels like it's hitting something then bouncing back. Mines out of warranty so I might have a look in the new year.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
I think I've actually found hell. :psyduck:

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

For a newbie to get in on this Free Ships CG do they actually have to sign up for it at one of the two stations? Participate and haul a load? Or will every newbie in-game that meets the play-time window wake up to a free ship?

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
If you are inside the free ship window to get the ship, you will get it.

I don't think they would put it inside one of the two stations. I guess it'll be near the starting port in the game.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I think I've actually found hell. :psyduck:

lol at that atmosphere being 70% iron

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Kuvo posted:

lol at that atmosphere being 70% iron

See, that's the type of planet I want to land on. gently caress cities and alien life, I want to see some molten iron rain.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

59 earth masses
10G's
17k surface temp
83 million atmospheres

The stupidest part? There are 13 T Tauri stars in this system as well.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

The atmospheric pressure there is greater than 23 times the pressure inside the Earth's core.

The atmosphere being 70% iron is totally plausible in those conditions. :v:

nippythefish
Nov 20, 2007

FEED ME SNAKES

Sultan Tarquin posted:

59 earth masses
10G's
17k surface temp
83 million atmospheres

The stupidest part? There are 13 T Tauri stars in this system as well.

I'd say the stupidest part is the .1% ice composition of the surface.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Maybe there's a really deep crater with a single ice cube in it.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
With that much pressure would water be ice at that temperature? I don't have a chart for that end of those two scales.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

With that much pressure would water be ice at that temperature? I don't have a chart for that end of those two scales.

There are 17 types of ice :science: and there's a chart:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice#Phases

The top of the chart is *Tera* pascals!

Bonus points for being able to Google that (without using the word 'phases') and not have the top links be for Pokemon :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

illBilliam
Jan 8, 2006

Edit: ^^^^^ Ohhhhh never mind that is a much better phase diagram than the one I looked at.
At those extremes, water becomes a supercritical fluid, according to the phase diagram I just looked at. So it's kinda like a gas/liquid, but not really. It's weird.

illBilliam fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Dec 27, 2015

• Locked thread