Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Fintilgin posted:

I don't know why anyone would take anything but the peaceful coexistence policy. Oh boy, I want to do a bunch of extra micro so my colonial subject is slightly more powerful and thus slightly more likely to revolt or give me trouble. :effort:

It takes almost no effort at all.

When you're ready to start colonizing North and South America, you should be bringing over some troops to hunt for the Seven Cities anyway. When you do, bring over extras to serve as garrison troops and just park them on your colonies. From then on, the micro is insignificant. Whenever a colony finishes, move garrison from old colony to new colony. That would totally be worth the +50% trade good boost, if it were working (because harvesting trade income is the whole point of colonizing).

If you're not big enough to park 2 infantry in each colony, or if you really are too lazy to move garrisons every N years as colonies finish, then it's better to just use coexistence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i use coexistence because i'm not a monster hth

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Fintilgin posted:

I don't know why anyone would take anything but the peaceful coexistence policy. Oh boy, I want to do a bunch of extra micro so my colonial subject is slightly more powerful and thus slightly more likely to revolt or give me trouble. :effort:

It's really good for Old World colonies.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
*retires 4 spy advisors in a row*

*gets a 5th female spy advisor*

oh phew thanks game

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Literally 9 +1 spy advisors in a row. This isn't confirmation bias anymore, the retire advisor button has a bug

edit: 12

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,
What's this, succession war with Luneberg over Brunswick? Let's see who their allied too - Lubeck? Hm, with Brandenburg's help I should be able to handle it.

Why did Austria and France join a minor german succession war. How did Austria and France join when neither are allied with Luneberg?

e: Okay, clicking on the little box above the map brings up the "Austria has honored their military alliance with Luneberg" and "France has honored their military alliance with Austria". Except that Luneberg and Austria are not allied, and do not appear to have ever been allied (they have no truce signifying a broken alliance).

Scrree fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Dec 28, 2015

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

QuarkJets posted:

if you really are too lazy to move garrisons every N years as colonies finish, then it's better to just use coexistence

:c00l:

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Scrree posted:

What's this, succession war with Luneberg over Brunswick? Let's see who their allied too - Lubeck? Hm, with Brandenburg's help I should be able to handle it.

Why did Austria and France join a minor german succession war. How did Austria and France join when neither are allied with Luneberg?

e: Okay, clicking on the little box above the map brings up the "Austria has honored their military alliance with Luneberg" and "France has honored their military alliance with Austria". Except that Luneberg and Austria are not allied, and do not appear to have ever been allied (they have no truce signifying a broken alliance).

The Emperor (which I'm guessing is Austria still in your game) can intervene on any defensive war against an HRE member, when he does, he enters as a co-belligerent, so he can call his allies into it as well.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Najd is starting to put thoughts of :suicide: in my head.

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,

deathbagel posted:

The Emperor (which I'm guessing is Austria still in your game) can intervene on any defensive war against an HRE member, when he does, he enters as a co-belligerent, so he can call his allies into it as well.

Not that I don't believe you, but I've never heard of this before. What are the rules governing the intervention, and why doesn't Austria just intervene in every single war to take provinces in the HRE?

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
I'm savoy. If I'm emperor when the shadow kingdom fires, will I have "submission to the emperor" if I lose it?

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.
I didn't get all the "nerd hordes" stuff until I got into administrative efficiency land. Now I'm only limited by my 18 month coring timer.

I don't think I have the patience for a WC even with how fun Hordes are. I just dismantled the HRE and now I am just flipping back and forth between Austria and the Ottomans trucebreaking which is fine because I instantly get all my points back to bring stability back up.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Scrree posted:

Not that I don't believe you, but I've never heard of this before. What are the rules governing the intervention, and why doesn't Austria just intervene in every single war to take provinces in the HRE?

It usually only applies to non-HRE attacking a member state or no CB wars by anyone against a member state. I don't get why it happens on succession wars too but I'm sure someone will tell us the historical event soon

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Average Bear posted:

*retires 4 spy advisors in a row*

*gets a 5th female spy advisor*

oh phew thanks game

Average Bear posted:

Literally 9 +1 spy advisors in a row. This isn't confirmation bias anymore, the retire advisor button has a bug

edit: 12

I don't think it's a bug, but when you fire an adviser the replacement is definitely not random.

The replacement won't duplicate any existing advisers in the pool, so if you already have a +3 Theologian you're not going to roll a +1 one. But the remaining adviser types are weighted somehow.

Honestly I would much prefer both advisers and military leaders to be less subject to RNG bullshit.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Didn't EU3 let you spend army or navy tradition to hire whatever advisor you wanted?(Its been years since I thought about that game)

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Scrree posted:

They have the option to join any war on an HRE state from an outside attacker, they have the option to join any internal war that is declared without a proper CB and they have the option to join in on any succession war for an HRE member state. When he does, he gets to come in as a co-belligerent which lets him call his allies. Also, if he's a member of a coalition against you and he joins in this way, he'll bring the whole coalition with him too (that killed a France run I had a while ago... "oh, I'll just pick up the PU over Bohemia real quick... oh, wait... what... gently caress!")

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

TaurusTorus posted:

Didn't EU3 let you spend army or navy tradition to hire whatever advisor you wanted?(Its been years since I thought about that game)

'cultural tradition'. the usual play involved spamming excess magistrates to create portraits (+5 cultural tradition/pop), constantly keeping your cultural tradition at max, and then repeatedly creating level 6 advisors that other countries would buy, thus getting you cash.

eu3.....

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Arzakon posted:

I didn't get all the "nerd hordes" stuff until I got into administrative efficiency land. Now I'm only limited by my 18 month coring timer.

I don't think I have the patience for a WC even with how fun Hordes are. I just dismantled the HRE and now I am just flipping back and forth between Austria and the Ottomans trucebreaking which is fine because I instantly get all my points back to bring stability back up.

I feel like I'm way behind you at this point, but yes, they are a bit silly right now. This is my Kazan game at the moment, I feel like I should have expanded faster. I'm afraid Ming might have made it past the point where they don't need to worry about exploding which means it's going to take a ton of wars to pick them apart... just like Muscovy, who just ate Novogrod right out of the gate.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Did the recent patches make the AI... funny in the head, so to speak? The Ottomans have been at war with Karaman for a couple decades. They have a 30k troop and their vassal Wallachia has a 6k troop sitting at the borders of Icel, Karaman's capital. Karaman has the full 25 bonus for having kept the target of the conquest. The Ottomans captured their other province. During this time, Byzantium has managed to pop back into existence in Constantinople too.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Node posted:

Did the recent patches make the AI... funny in the head, so to speak? The Ottomans have been at war with Karaman for a couple decades. They have a 30k troop and their vassal Wallachia has a 6k troop sitting at the borders of Icel, Karaman's capital. Karaman has the full 25 bonus for having kept the target of the conquest. The Ottomans captured their other province. During this time, Byzantium has managed to pop back into existence in Constantinople too.

In one of my games Karaman has existed inside of the ottomans as a 2 province minor since ~1450. The ottomans declared on them for reconquest but despite having cores on all their land and 100% warscore they only took 1/3 provinces and let Karaman exist inside of them for rest of eternity. :3:

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I got AI trolled in my Ottoman paint the world Sunni game, I conquered all of Portugal's cores, converted them to Sunni and released them as a Vassal. My Sunni Portugal vassal picked Offensive and Trade as their ideas.......

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Not sure what I'm missing for For Odin:

Staltran fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Dec 28, 2015

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Check in your achievements browser that should tell you

Edit: are your two Greenland provinces held by a colonial nation? If so you have to own those directly. Otherwise looking at your screenshots I dunno.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Dec 28, 2015

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Pellisworth posted:

Check in your achievements browser that should tell you

That's in the first screenshot, unless there's another achievement browser I don't know about. The tooltip just says I don't have all of the Scandinavia region owned and converted to Norse, but as far as I can tell I do. It doesn't tell me the specific provinces I'm missing.

Edit: No, this is also a First Come First Serve run. I don't have CNs.
E2: Just realized I never cored Greenland, though. Maybe that's it.

Staltran fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Dec 28, 2015

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Staltran posted:

That's in the first screenshot, unless there's another achievement browser I don't know about. The tooltip just says I don't have all of the Scandinavia region owned and converted to Norse, but as far as I can tell I do. It doesn't tell me the specific provinces I'm missing.

Edit: No, this is also a First Come First Serve run. I don't have CNs.

Only thing I can think of is if there are two provinces you don't have cored, you need Scandinavia + GB cored and Norse.

I don't know where the regions are defined in the files or I'd check that for you.

edit:

Staltran posted:

E2: Just realized I never cored Greenland, though. Maybe that's it.
yup that's probably it

Unrelated, but it would be a nice quality of life tweak to make armies searching for the Seven Cities not get exiled when you go to war, that's a little annoying.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Yeah, that was it. Forgot to core Greenland since it didn't give overextension.

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Question about hunting for the seven cities, is there a way for them never to be found, and can they be found by more than one country? Do I need to hunt before all the PTI is explored? I've never actually found one and the bonuses look halfway cool.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Hambilderberglar posted:

Question about hunting for the seven cities, is there a way for them never to be found, and can they be found by more than one country? Do I need to hunt before all the PTI is explored? I've never actually found one and the bonuses look halfway cool.

I don't think they're exclusive if another nation finds one. Not even sure the AI uses that function, I kinda doubt it.

It's better to hunt earlier when less of the land is explored or colonized. The events are complex but every unoccupied province you explore has a chance to advance the event chains.

I'd guess exploring the whole New World would give you 1-2 of the cities on average and a bunch of monarch points from related events.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Pellisworth posted:

I'd guess exploring the whole New World would give you 1-2 of the cities on average and a bunch of monarch points from related events.

I've explored 99% of the new world like 2-3 times since El Dorado came out and the only permanent modifier I've ever gotten was when the "+.25 yearly prestige from hunting for 7 cities" bugged out and never went away after my conquistador stopped exploring.

Tons of free monarch points though; it's definitely worth doing when you can.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
It's been a while since I've played. Is it basically impossible to diplovassilize anymore? As a 10 province Bavaria it says my development is too low and my army too weak to vassilize 1 province Nuremberg.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Check the tooltip, it'll tell you how far off you are. But I think HRE members have a -50 for being HRE members so that makes it extra hard.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

deathbagel posted:

I feel like I'm way behind you at this point, but yes, they are a bit silly right now. This is my Kazan game at the moment, I feel like I should have expanded faster. I'm afraid Ming might have made it past the point where they don't need to worry about exploding which means it's going to take a ton of wars to pick them apart... just like Muscovy, who just ate Novogrod right out of the gate.

Ming only spit out 4 minors by the time I got to them which was probably for the best. Weakened them just enough to smooth it over but if there were too many I think coalitions would have been a problem.

Killing Muscovy the instant they attack Novgorod was a key point in my early game I think.

Loezi
Dec 18, 2012

Never buy the cheap stuff
Anyone have recommendations for good and at least mostly up to date video tutorials for a beginner? I know Arumba has some stuff but that's from 2013.

Bought the base game and few DLCs for a friend and there is only so much I can teach him via the Steam chat.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Arzakon posted:

Ming only spit out 4 minors by the time I got to them which was probably for the best. Weakened them just enough to smooth it over but if there were too many I think coalitions would have been a problem.

Killing Muscovy the instant they attack Novgorod was a key point in my early game I think.

Yea, Muscovy never went after Novogorod in my game until after I hit them. Muscovy declared on me, I crushed their army, then Novogorod declared on them. I beat Muscovy, took some land and peaced out, then they rebuilt their army and crushed Novogorod and took most of their land. Novogorod tried again 15 years later when I hit Muscovy again, but the same exact thing happened. Muscovy went from a wiped out army to crushing Novogorod in just a few months. Novogorod in my game just seems so anemic, I think they must have been weakened by Sweden or the LO or something the whole time.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Loezi posted:

Anyone have recommendations for good and at least mostly up to date video tutorials for a beginner? I know Arumba has some stuff but that's from 2013.

Bought the base game and few DLCs for a friend and there is only so much I can teach him via the Steam chat.

Bane Williams recently uploaded the first two videos in a tutorial series. There are presumably a lot more to come.

Drakhoran fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Dec 28, 2015

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.
This is a bug, right? :confused:

Here we see the Polish and Lithuanian armies moving into Paris via Barrois and Champagne, completely ignoring the active forts in the latter two provinces. They marched straight through my country like the forts weren't even there.

I had thought the ZoC rules had been fixed by now, but are they still wonky?

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

From my experience you can move from one fort directly to another fort, but I've never checked three in a row.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah, you can always move from fort to fort to fort, indefinitely. Don't build forts in a line.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
So I finally got a decent start going as Najd for Jihad (which I doubt I will be able to complete this time, my start was terribly slow) and a couple questions arise.

1) Is there something in the ledger that shows me exactly how many provinces I have? I know there is a graph that gives you a general idea, but I am wondering if I can get a precise number.

2) If I plan on converting every single province I have, do I want to waste my time giving provinces to the Dhimmi? Or should I just ignore that warning and wait until it goes away when I convert everything to Sunni.

3) Fourth idea group: Economic or Religious? Religious fits perfectly thematically, but I am doing okay converting things since I have Custodian of the Two Cities and I'm keeping my piety up. Granted, low piety is generally better. Economic sounds nice since my provinces are mostly poo poo and I have a terrible income, and the help from autonomy reduction will be great. I'm breaching Persia and I'll be able to get to the riches of India eventually. I may try the cheesy way of blocking off India and coring everything there as distant overseas, if that still works.

4) Its 1607. I have 79 provinces and maybe 15 or so as vassals. The Ottomans beat me to Egypt and Jerusalem, but they're my ally at least. I can tear through India and China as best as I can. Do I have any chance, or should I consider this a practice run?

If anyone is curious, I went Administrative -> Trade -> Offensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Regarding 1, it's shown on the budget window. If you look near the bottom of the tab there's a spot that will tell you how many provinces you have, and your total development.

• Locked thread