Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Apoplexy posted:

Good timing by Jeselnik again, he tweeted today that, SPEAKING OF TRAGEDIES, you should check out Mulaney's new special. loving love that guy.

Man, this is very unrelated but a random facebook post that a friend replied to was of a comedian who was very much posting about France in a stupidly confrontational type that was not only in poor taste but just not funny. What was funny was how he also had posted a bunch of meme/text images with a picture of Jeselnik and him explaining why he makes jokes about tragic/morbid things, and it just made me realize how good Jeselnik is and how bad a poo poo ton of hack comedians who yell how they're not "PC" are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

St. Dogbert
Mar 17, 2011
Echoing the positive comments regarding Mulaney's new show. I haven't seen him live, so the only bit with which I was familiar was the Back to the Future one.

Up next, Dara O Briain's new release. To import, or not to import?

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
I'm pretty stoked that everyone seems to be pretty happy about Mulaney being a big hit. I was afraid that his awful show that was thankfully cancelled quickly might have ruined him.

St. Dogbert posted:

Up next, Dara O Briain's new release. To import, or not to import?

I love him on other shows, but his stand up (outside of a few choice bits on youtube) have always been a pretty big miss for me. I'm not sure if I'm dumb or just too non-Irish, but either way it's reality.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

It depends on if he gets a good crowd to bounce off of.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
Paul F. Tompkins is passing SpeakEasy to Russell Peters?

http://splitsider.com/2015/11/paul-f-tompkins-passes-the-hosting-torch-to-russell-peters-on-speakeasy/

1) Apart from Aziz's Randy, hard to imagine a larger change in tone.
2) Isn't Russell Peters rich enough to not do web content?

I say all this with absolute love for PFT, and kinda being done with RP as Canadian who has heard his stuff for decades.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
Thanks, thread, for reminding me to open up Netflix on occasion and watch new specials. Mulaney's was excellent.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Spent most of my day at work thinking about the "AAAAaahhh, one feels like a duck splashing around in all this wet!" conversation. It has changed my life.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

soggybagel posted:

Man, this is very unrelated but a random facebook post that a friend replied to was of a comedian who was very much posting about France in a stupidly confrontational type that was not only in poor taste but just not funny. What was funny was how he also had posted a bunch of meme/text images with a picture of Jeselnik and him explaining why he makes jokes about tragic/morbid things, and it just made me realize how good Jeselnik is and how bad a poo poo ton of hack comedians who yell how they're not "PC" are.

It's like when you see a commercial or someone not familiar with rap music attempt to rap, because they think it's easy to do, and it makes you realize how loving talented rappers actually are.

SoupyTwist
Feb 20, 2008

Piquai Souban posted:

Paul F. Tompkins is passing SpeakEasy to Russell Peters?

http://splitsider.com/2015/11/paul-f-tompkins-passes-the-hosting-torch-to-russell-peters-on-speakeasy/

1) Apart from Aziz's Randy, hard to imagine a larger change in tone.
2) Isn't Russell Peters rich enough to not do web content?

I say all this with absolute love for PFT, and kinda being done with RP as Canadian who has heard his stuff for decades.

PFT jokingly admitted that no one really watched SpeakEasy on something (probably CBB), so good for Russell Peters?

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
Question for Austin-ites: going to JFL MTL, I've found that if I want to go to a specific set of the club shows, tickets are better than passes, especially because we like those better than the headliner shows.

Planning on going to Moontower this year, but the website seems to indicate that the festival is a lot more pass-driven than ticket-driven, and it looks like they have more interesting headliner shows (to our tastes). Is that accurate? Sounds like there isn't that many tickets floating around for club shows, and that this is a case where it's better to get passes.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
bump

Loved Maria Bamford's short set of new stuff on Put Your Hands Together, can't wait for another album of hers.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Bill Burr's new Netflix cartoon is a lot better than I expected. Its tone reminds me of King of the Hill.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Bill Burr's new Netflix cartoon is a lot better than I expected. Its tone reminds me of King of the Hill.

I'm really glad to hear this because they played a clip on Conan when he was a guest and it looked dire. I love Burr but all they showed was his dad character yelling at the kids and it didn't really seem to have the fun spark of insanity his stand-up does. But I'll check it out.

In other vaguely stand-up related news, Chelsea Peretti is going to be on a special Big Fat Quiz on Jan 5 called the "Big Fat Quiz of Everything" if you like those British panel shows. She might be an iconoclastic breath of fresh air but knowing those shows there's an equal chance that she'll just get steamrolled by a bunch of less funny stuff. I'll take any chance I can get for some extended interaction between her and Richard Ayoade though.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

I watched the first episode and wasn't super impressed. It seems like it's trying to actually BE King of the Hill. The blonde neighbor seems like a fusion of Matthew McConaughay and Boomhauer.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I wasn't blown away by it either, but I watched all six episodes and gave it five stars. It's okay, but I think it needs some time to find its voice a bit more. I also have a hard time buying into the father character because I can only picture Bill Burr.

People Stew
Dec 5, 2003

I wasn't impressed with the first episode but it really grew on me as things went on, and I watched them all in pretty much one sitting. I think it will end up being solid. I think Burr is in his element with that kind of humor and there was a surprising amount of stuff that was weirdly nostalgic for me.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Yeah, I watched it all straight through and it definitely got better as it went.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Medullah posted:

It seems like it's trying to actually BE King of the Hill.

If I never saw it, that line would make me want to watch it. I love the realism of the storylines so far. You can tell that putting a magnet on Dad's new TV was something that actually scarred Bill or his co-creator when they were kids. Plus I like the setting. Outside of Freaks and Geeks, there's not too many shows set during the 70s/80s Rust Belt era.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

I was watching a clip of Bill Burr on some show where he said his dad used to tell him he would put him through a wall, so it's clear a lot of it is taken from Bill's own 70s. One of the characters is even a little redheaded kid the same age Burr was when the show takes place and is even named Bill.

I like the part in the last episode where a priest shows up and it's not immediately clear that Burr is voicing him until he starts saying something in a higher pitch or kinda-shouting it and it sounds right out of his podcast.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

If I never saw it, that line would make me want to watch it. I love the realism of the storylines so far. You can tell that putting a magnet on Dad's new TV was something that actually scarred Bill or his co-creator when they were kids. Plus I like the setting. Outside of Freaks and Geeks, there's not too many shows set during the 70s/80s Rust Belt era.

Yeah I only watched the first episode and wasn't super impressed, but feedback seems positive so I'll watch the rest.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

New Tom Segura special is hitting Netflix this Friday. I'm looking forward to it.

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

XIII posted:

New Tom Segura special is hitting Netflix this Friday. I'm looking forward to it.

when something is new on netflix does it become available like 12.01 AM that day or is there a set time. I want to watch this one asap

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

Rory Scovel's new special on Seeso is extremely fuckin good

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Really liked the PYHT anniversary show / post-wedding ep. Really strong line-up (holy poo poo, new Kyle Kinane stuff out of nowhere? Yes please) and Cameron & Rhea at their gushiest and giggliest were super adorable while still funny.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Illinois Smith posted:

Really liked the PYHT anniversary show / post-wedding ep. Really strong line-up (holy poo poo, new Kyle Kinane stuff out of nowhere? Yes please) and Cameron & Rhea at their gushiest and giggliest were super adorable while still funny.

Really dug this episode (although I skipped through 98% of the Cameron and Rhea banter, like I always do). Kinane's bit about IKEA is actually pretty old. It's either from his first special (2010) or his Comedy Central Presents (2011). I recently found out about the split EP he did with a punk band. It's only one story, but it's definitely worth a listen.

https://radgirlfriendrecords.bandcamp.com/album/kyle-kinane-the-slow-death-split-7

EDIT: The new Tom Segura special is pretty good. Of his four specials, I think it might be my least favorite, but that's mainly because I like his others so much.

XIII fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jan 8, 2016

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
New Hannibal Buress special on Feb 5 on Netflix

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
I love reading anything in Hannibal's old vocal mannerism. It was like Mitch Hedberg minus the dead.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
For Doug Stanhope fans - Him and Bingo broke up.

Doug cheated on her with some lady from a cruise and Bingo left him for a young homeless guitar player. What a group. He tells the story here.

http://www.dougstanhope.com/podcast/2016/1/20/ep120-doug-and-bingo-breakup

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
I used to love Doug, he just makes me sad now.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
He's still great, he's just chugging along with his lifestyle and community out in Bisbee. He still absolutely slays at gigs from what I've been told.

He's probably going to die by 60, but he has to know that.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Unrelated: Tony Hinchcliffe's Netflix special was pretty good.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
To go along with that Hannibal Buress special coming up on Netflix, a month later is a Jimmy Carr Netflix special, and a month after that is one by Patton Ozweird. Can't loving wait.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Chromatic posted:

For Doug Stanhope fans - Him and Bingo broke up.

Doug cheated on her with some lady from a cruise and Bingo left him for a young homeless guitar player. What a group. He tells the story here.

http://www.dougstanhope.com/podcast/2016/1/20/ep120-doug-and-bingo-breakup
Yeah this podcast sure was something. Their breakup is whatever, but Bingo :( :(

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
If there is an lesson to be learned from this and Harmontown it's "if they seem like alcoholic assholes, it's because they are, don't date them".

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
Isn't that the lesson of every Harmontown?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
My good folk, is Owen Benjamin any good? I don't particularly like going by clips on Youtube because I think most standup works poorly piecemeal, anybody seen him live? I'm gonna be in Minneapolis on a weekend he'll be performing at the club in the Mall of America.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Al! posted:

Isn't that the lesson of every Harmontown?

Post-Erin Harmontown has been particularly amazing and bleak af.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.

crazy cloud posted:

Post-Erin Harmontown has been particularly amazing and bleak af.

Introspective Dan is always good. I'm really looking forward to Harmonquest, it seems like he got some really good guests for that.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
I know most people here give no fucks about Ralphie May but he's having a weird meltdown over the title of Chelsea Peretti's album title. There's tons of quoted tweets of him trying to justify it including announcing his IQ...yeah he's in a good place.

https://twitter.com/Ralphie_May/status/691220415255941120
https://twitter.com/Ralphie_May/status/691217383285886978

also including racism!
https://twitter.com/Ralphie_May/status/691225880832663552

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Ches Neckbeard posted:

I know most people here give no fucks about Ralphie May but he's having a weird meltdown over the title of Chelsea Peretti's album title. There's tons of quoted tweets of him trying to justify it including announcing his IQ...yeah he's in a good place.

https://twitter.com/Ralphie_May/status/691220415255941120
https://twitter.com/Ralphie_May/status/691217383285886978

also including racism!
https://twitter.com/Ralphie_May/status/691225880832663552

lol cool