Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freddles
Feb 5, 2009

Squalitude posted:

My SWTFAIIMM was that the megalaserbeam from the planet was described as being at super hyperspeed but the people on the planet that it was blasting were able to see the laser even though the destructive part of the beam must have been travelling faster than the light it produced.

Also you could see the laser from across space instantaneously, when it would have taken the light a long time to travel between star systems. I'd like to think that in the star wars universe light speed is pretty much infinite (and Han Solo was talking bs when he bragged about his ship going .5 past light speed).

My IIMM was the part where Han Solo was going to fly through the shields at light speed, putting on the brakes at just the right time by hand. Guy's got dammed good timing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

BrigadierSensible posted:

I just watched the last of the Harry Potter films and something struck me. It is entirely Euro-centric. Voldemort apparemntly is the most powerful wizard in the world, and wants to take over the world etc. but everything happens in England. And in the previous books/movies no-one really gives half a poo poo about any wizards outside of Europe. (The tri-wizard cup is between an English school, a French school and a *boo hiss* generic Eastern European school. The Quidditch WC final is Ireland vs Bulgaria). Even assuming that Voldemort would take England, then Europe and then the world, surely the rest of the world would send help to the goodie wizards to stop him. But they aren't even mentioned.

Evan a film as jingoistic as Independence Day paid lip servioce to the idea that there are other countries apart from America with the shots at the end of the destroyed spaceships at the Sydney Oprera House etc. But Harry Potter doesn't acknowledge a world outside of twee European white people.

This is one of the reasons I think the books get increasingly worse. Voldemort is introduced as this dark lord of magic, mysterious and powerful and eventually it's revealed that he is basically just Oswald Mosley.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

e X posted:

This is one of the reasons I think the books get increasingly worse. Voldemort is introduced as this dark lord of magic, mysterious and powerful and eventually it's revealed that he is basically just Oswald Mosley.

It's also pretty hard to take him seriously as a threat when any jackass with a gun could take him out if they got the drop on him.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I just watched the last of the Harry Potter films and something struck me. It is entirely Euro-centric. Voldemort apparemntly is the most powerful wizard in the world, and wants to take over the world etc. but everything happens in England. And in the previous books/movies no-one really gives half a poo poo about any wizards outside of Europe. (The tri-wizard cup is between an English school, a French school and a *boo hiss* generic Eastern European school. The Quidditch WC final is Ireland vs Bulgaria). Even assuming that Voldemort would take England, then Europe and then the world, surely the rest of the world would send help to the goodie wizards to stop him. But they aren't even mentioned.

Evan a film as jingoistic as Independence Day paid lip servioce to the idea that there are other countries apart from America with the shots at the end of the destroyed spaceships at the Sydney Oprera House etc. But Harry Potter doesn't acknowledge a world outside of twee European white people.

America would probably mobilise wizards to help fight voldemort 2-3 years after the UK did, but hes defeated before that.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Freddles posted:

Also you could see the laser from across space instantaneously, when it would have taken the light a long time to travel between star systems. I'd like to think that in the star wars universe light speed is pretty much infinite (and Han Solo was talking bs when he bragged about his ship going .5 past light speed).

My IIMM was the part where Han Solo was going to fly through the shields at light speed, putting on the brakes at just the right time by hand. Guy's got dammed good timing.

Well if you could fly at light speed any spaceship would basically be a kinetic energy planet-annihilation bomb, making death stars and whatnot pointless in the first place.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Force Awakens: I understand that they were really trying to undue the damage that Lucas did with the prequels and consciously didn't have any enormous battles where a bajillion things are flying around and happening all at once, but really, the entire Resistance fleet was comprised of a dozen X-Wings? Even the Rebellion had a couple frigates and maybe a capital ship along with a few squadrons of fighters and at least one squadron of bombers. Some Y-Wings would have been really useful in the attack on the Flux Capacitor or whatever the gently caress it was.

And really, the First Order spends between two and three decades training their Stormtroopers and can't spring for environmentally sealed armor? I sure hope they never have to attack a planet that doesn't have an earth-like atmosphere or else the First Order is straight hosed. Again, I get that Finn and Rey needed a plausible reason to hide and take out the Stormtroopers they thought were coming, but why not have them just hide and wait to ambush them? You know, exactly like they did in the first movie?!

And finally, they really couldn't control the shielding on the critical Macguffin from their primary control center? They also didn't send a whole battalion over there immediately to turn it back on again? Come the gently caress on.

Finally-finally the Yoda lady alien had buttholes for eyes. She had two puckered sphincter son her face and JJ knew it. He knew it and he still put it in, the man must be stopped.

Also BB-8 was cool and good.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

SWTFA The mysterious alien Yoda lady had like the worst loving CG I've seen in years outside of last-gen consoles. Everything up til then was awesome and then suddenly there's this Dreamworks-reject looking motherfucker who's incredibly important?! You gotta be kidding me.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
Don't get me wrong, I thought the Droid was cute, but I felt it was more prominent than necessary. In lieu of product placement, that Droid is what's being sold there.

I don't have a huge nostalgia for the original trilogy, but I feel the toy aspect, despite Lucas' stake, was less in your face. I could be wrong since I haven't seen those films too many times.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Regarding the SWTFA question, You don't need to use the force to use a lightsaber. Han used that same exact one to open up a taun taun on Hoth to shove Luke into. It's seen some poo poo man.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Non Serviam posted:

Don't get me wrong, I thought the Droid was cute, but I felt it was more prominent than necessary. In lieu of product placement, that Droid is what's being sold there.

I don't have a huge nostalgia for the original trilogy, but I feel the toy aspect, despite Lucas' stake, was less in your face. I could be wrong since I haven't seen those films too many times.

In A New Hope R2D2 was as prominent and fulfilled the same function.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Regarding the SWTFA question, You don't need to use the force to use a lightsaber. Han used that same exact one to open up a taun taun on Hoth to shove Luke into. It's seen some poo poo man.

I meant swordsmanship training. Rey said he was in sanitation and apparently he had a single mission, where he chickened out.
Also I hope they'll explain why they dropped the clones.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Finn obviously wasn't just a janitor considering he was on a combat mission at the start of the movie.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Non Serviam posted:

I meant swordsmanship training. Rey said he was in sanitation and apparently he had a single mission, where he chickened out.

Explaining that would require him to acknowledge the prequels exist, which he objectively should not do?

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Krinkle posted:

Explaining that would require him to acknowledge the prequels exist, which he objectively should not do?

Darth Vader does make a reference to clones though.

Edit. The new sith dude.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Non Serviam posted:

They stated that he has been raised since a kid as part of the First Order. That was his fist combat mission, but he had training all his life

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

They stated that he has been raised since a kid as part of the First Order. That was his fist combat mission, but he had training all his life

That makes sense. Thanks!

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Who What Now posted:

Force Awakens: I understand that they were really trying to undue the damage that Lucas did with the prequels and consciously didn't have any enormous battles where a bajillion things are flying around and happening all at once, but really, the entire Resistance fleet was comprised of a dozen X-Wings? Even the Rebellion had a couple frigates and maybe a capital ship along with a few squadrons of fighters and at least one squadron of bombers. Some Y-Wings would have been really useful in the attack on the Flux Capacitor or whatever the gently caress it was.

And really, the First Order spends between two and three decades training their Stormtroopers and can't spring for environmentally sealed armor? I sure hope they never have to attack a planet that doesn't have an earth-like atmosphere or else the First Order is straight hosed. Again, I get that Finn and Rey needed a plausible reason to hide and take out the Stormtroopers they thought were coming, but why not have them just hide and wait to ambush them? You know, exactly like they did in the first movie?!

And finally, they really couldn't control the shielding on the critical Macguffin from their primary control center? They also didn't send a whole battalion over there immediately to turn it back on again? Come the gently caress on.

Finally-finally the Yoda lady alien had buttholes for eyes. She had two puckered sphincter son her face and JJ knew it. He knew it and he still put it in, the man must be stopped.

Also BB-8 was cool and good.

It probably wasn't the entire resistance fleet by a long shot. They were scrambling at the last second so they didn't get blown up. This is in contrast to the battle of Endor where they were taking the initiative (or so they thought).

As for the armor, I'm sure such stormtroopers do exist, but they're not going to spend that kinda money on chumps. They'd rather use it on the elites.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

RagnarokAngel posted:

It probably wasn't the entire resistance fleet by a long shot. They were scrambling at the last second so they didn't get blown up. This is in contrast to the battle of Endor where they were taking the initiative (or so they thought).

As for the armor, I'm sure such stormtroopers do exist, but they're not going to spend that kinda money on chumps. They'd rather use it on the elites.

One of the Resistance control guys mentions that "that's half our fleet down!" when another X-Wing gets blown away during the final battle.

As for them putting the shields back up, well, there's not a whole lot of point when the enemy's under it already, is there? At that point, the First Order guys had more important things to worry about. Like the aforementioned X-Wings blowing everything up.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

I just watched the last of the Harry Potter films and something struck me. It is entirely Euro-centric.

I can't really care about the HP universe but it's refreshing to watch a big-name film that isn't centred around the US for a change, to be honest.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Esroc posted:

It's been almost 40 years and there are people that still don't realize that Star Wars is fantasy not sci-fi. Just replace lasers with magic missles and aliens with demon monsters. It'll save you a lot of irrational headaches.

That brings up another somewhat IIMM: Neil loving DeGrasse Tyson chirping about all the science that's wrong in Star Wars. I bet he secretly enjoyed midichlorians used to explain The Force. :rolleyes:

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

ChogsEnhour posted:

Haha, I was exactly the same watching UTOPIA which is meant to take place in London but it was filmed almost entirely in Liverpool. Wasn't just the small things like, "Hey, I live next to that duck pond!" But shots done atop buildings with a view of the skyline and it's just Liverpool!

Maybe the city isn't as iconic to other people as it is to me and Yanks definitely wont notice. But still...
Us Yanks won't notice that the skyline is Liverpool, but we might notice that it's not London because of the lack of Big Ben tower and Tower Bridge and whatever the Royal castle is named and maybe the big pickle. To establish a place the film makers have to include obvious landmarks.

Android Bicyclist posted:

That brings up another somewhat IIMM: Neil loving DeGrasse Tyson chirping about all the science that's wrong in Star Wars. I bet he secretly enjoyed midichlorians used to explain The Force. :rolleyes:
I will say that his chirping about all of the wrong science leads me to my IIMM about the new Star Wars: So the Starkiller Base is the size of a planet and sucks the energy of the nearby star (WHICH FINN CALLS THE SUN AND NOT BARTONIN X OR SOME poo poo) and then shoots it out and kills many other planets. Whatever. They drain the star, they blow up the Republic, and then they drain the star again? Does the planet sized base move around?

CannonFodder has a new favorite as of 07:18 on Dec 28, 2015

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant

CannonFodder posted:

Us Yanks won't notice that the skyline is Liverpool, but we might notice that it's not London because of the lack of Big Ben tower and Tower Bridge and whatever the Royal castle is named and maybe the big pickle. To establish a place the film makers have to include obvious landmarks.

I will say that his chirping about all of the wrong science leads me to my IIMM about the new Star Wars: So the Starkiller Base is the size of a planet and sucks the energy of the nearby star (WHICH FINN CALLS THE SUN AND NOT BARTONIN X OR SOME poo poo) and then shoots it out and kills many other planets. Whatever. They drain the star, they blow up the Republic, and then they drain the star again? Does the planet sized base move around?

Yes. It moves from system to system destroying stars.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Polaron posted:

One of the Resistance control guys mentions that "that's half our fleet down!" when another X-Wing gets blown away during the final battle.

They pretty clearly mean the attacking fleet, come the gently caress on. There's plenty of IIMMs in the new movie without getting stupidly pedantic about it.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Krinkle posted:

I remember being excited on principal that a new star wars was coming out. I saw all the trailers. Lightsabers. That guy looks mean. Ships flying around. They cut those trailers so tight to make us think we were getting what we wanted. Jar jar was not in a trailer. Not at all.

Sadly this wasn't true, you just got lucky. Way back in '99, I remember watching a trailer that introduced Jar Jar doing dumb slapstick with a voiceover like "Have you ever had a friend who was a little... different?"

I can't find the trailer on youtube, but I distinctly remember the sinking feeling when I realized Phantom Menace wouldn't be cool or good.

My Force Awakens IIMM: unless I missed something, they signal the X-Wing squadrons that the shield is down and it's safe to attack Starkiller Base. When Poe receives the signal, he's already in hyperspace en route to the planet, and he drops to sublight immediately. How could that possibly have been timed right? If Solo and Finn took five more seconds to drop the planetary shield, the X-Wings would be halfway across the star system, pointed in the wrong direction.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
It is abundantly clear that the answer to many of these stupid questions is [technology] in Star Wars does not work like you think it does/should.

"Lightspeed" is probably slang for whatever hyperspace bypass they're in. They might be able to just park and wait in there, you don't loving know, and it's extremely good that they don't even try to explain most of it.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Android Bicyclist posted:

NDT is an irrationally irritating life moment.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Ryoshi posted:

They pretty clearly mean the attacking fleet, come the gently caress on. There's plenty of IIMMs in the new movie without getting stupidly pedantic about it.

I was just pointing out where people may have gotten the idea that the Resistance was only three X-Wing squadrons. :shrug:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Ryoshi posted:

I still wouldn't have called it a fleet. When I hear fleet I think of multiple larger ships, not a group of single-pilot fighters. And this could have been solved with a simple line during the planning of the attack along the lines of "Why don't have time to get our cruisers and battleships in position for the attack, we'll have to make do with Red and Blue squadrons".

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Trent posted:

It is abundantly clear that the answer to many of these stupid questions is [technology] in Star Wars does not work like you think it does/should.

Yep.

"A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away..."

There you go, you can do whatever you want now and it doesn't have to conform to our expected rules of science and technology.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Force Awakens: My biggest issue was... did they blow up Coruscant?!? That's kinda a huge loving deal. And... I'm not even sure if they did or not. They fire the big world destroying laser at several planets at once, we see a quick reaction shot of people on some planet, maybe Coruscant, getting blown up, and that's it.

Pretty huge moment in the plot of the film and it was really bungled. Coruscant is one of the biggest, most important planets in the history of Star Wars. Destroying it is A BIG loving DEAL. You need to kinda like, spend a minute on that. And also you should probably make it clear? Did that even happen? Was it some other highly technological society? They just mentioned that it was the rebellion kinda offhand and that's all we find out. Not nearly enough information or time spent on it.

By comparison, in A New Hope when they go to test out the Death Star, we've never seen Alderaan before or even heard of it. But we don't need to. All we need to know is what we can see in Leia's reaction, the way she looks shocked when Gran Moff Tarkin is like "Dantoine is too remote, but we'll deal with your rebel friends later", you feel the dread in Leia. And when the planet blows up, you see her slump down in defeat, and then we even cut away to Obi-Wan saying "A great disturbance in the force, like as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened". Which is loving iconic. It really hits home how deadly the Death Star really is, the concept of a weapon that can destroy entire worlds.

They could have had a cool moment where Leia said the same quote, "I fear something terrible has happened", right when the rebellion gets blown up by starkiller base. She's force-sensitive so she could take over the role of Obi-Wan here, plus she was the original witness to the destruction of Alderaan. Supposedly in the original cut of the film Leia had some secret agent working for her in the rebellion planet (which I guess isn't actually Coruscant? So that's a huge cock-up confusion. Which planet is it? We've never even heard its name!) and her agent gets blown up and I guess that would have given at least SOME weight to the thing, but they edited it out.

Force Awakens' starkiller base doesn't remotely get the impact of the death star as a result, it isn't built up enough. And in the end of force awakens when the heroes blow up starkiller base, it feels forced and cheesy. Like of course they have to blow something up because the death star got blown up at the end of a new hope. They're just copying the same beats. It doesn't feel like a big deal the way it did back in A New Hope. They didn't earn it enough. They didn't build up the base as being significantly deadly enough. When Poe said that he had to do the trench run, I actually had to roll my eyes, because of course. Because A New Hope did it. They kinda copied Episode IV a little TOO much, but oh well, playing it safe I guess.

loving loved the film though overall.

Zaphod42 has a new favorite as of 17:21 on Dec 28, 2015

KoB
May 1, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Force Awakens: My biggest issue was... did they blow up Coruscant?!? That's kinda a huge loving deal. And... I'm not even sure if they did or not. They fire the big world destroying laser at several planets at once, we see a quick reaction shot of people on some planet, maybe Coruscant, getting blown up, and that's it.

Pretty huge moment in the plot of the film and it was really bungled. Coruscant is one of the biggest, most important planets in the history of Star Wars. Destroying it is A BIG loving DEAL. You need to kinda like, spend a minute on that. And also you should probably make it clear? Did that even happen? Was it some other highly technological society? They just mentioned that it was the rebellion kinda offhand and that's all we find out. Not nearly enough information or time spent on it.

By comparison, in A New Hope when they go to test out the Death Star, we've never seen Alderaan before or even heard of it. But we don't need to. All we need to know is what we can see in Leia's reaction, the way she looks shocked when Gran Moff Tarkin is like "Dantoine is too remote, but we'll deal with your rebel friends later", you feel the dread in Leia. And when the planet blows up, you see her slump down in defeat, and then we even cut away to Obi-Wan saying "A great disturbance in the force, like as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened". Which is loving iconic. It really hits home how deadly the Death Star really is, the concept of a weapon that can destroy entire worlds.

They could have had a cool moment where Leia said the same quote, "I fear something terrible has happened", right when the rebellion gets blown up by starkiller base. She's force-sensitive so she could take over the role of Obi-Wan here, plus she was the original witness to the destruction of Alderaan. Supposedly in the original cut of the film Leia had some secret agent working for her in the rebellion planet (which I guess isn't actually Coruscant? So that's a huge cock-up confusion. Which planet is it? We've never even heard its name!) and her agent gets blown up and I guess that would have given at least SOME weight to the thing, but they edited it out.

Force Awakens' starkiller base doesn't remotely get the impact of the death star as a result, it isn't built up enough. And in the end of force awakens when the heroes blow up starkiller base, it feels forced and cheesy. Like of course they have to blow something up because the death star got blown up at the end of a new hope. They're just copying the same beats. It doesn't feel like a big deal the way it did back in A New Hope. They didn't earn it enough. They didn't build up the base as being significantly deadly enough. When Poe said that he had to do the trench run, I actually had to roll my eyes, because of course. Because A New Hope did it. They kinda copied Episode IV a little TOO much, but oh well, playing it safe I guess.

loving loved the film though overall.

It wasnt Coruscant.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

KoB posted:

It wasnt Coruscant.

Yeah I know.

Zaphod42 posted:

(which I guess isn't actually Coruscant? So that's a huge cock-up confusion. Which planet is it? We've never even heard its name!)

The whole point though is how stupid it could be to have such a major thing be so ambiguous.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
My PYFIIMMIIM is when Zaphod42 didn't use block spoilers for his huge rant that went over the same point at least three times and instead individually spoiler tagged every paragraph.

My IIMM: In The Avengers the Hulk never punches one of those big snake things so in the head so hard that the head caves in and shoots down the length of the body with explosions everywhere. I really wanted that, dammit!

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Zaphod42 posted:

The whole point though is how stupid it could be to have such a major thing be so ambiguous.

They tell you what system was destroyed by name. The name isn't Coruscant. That's not ambiguous.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

AnonSpore posted:

My PYFIIMMIIM is when Zaphod42 didn't use block spoilers for his huge rant that went over the same point at least three times and instead individually spoiler tagged every paragraph.

My IIMM: In The Avengers the Hulk never punches one of those big snake things so in the head so hard that the head caves in and shoots down the length of the body with explosions everywhere. I really wanted that, dammit!

Isn't that the first thing he does in New York

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Isn't that the first thing he does in New York

He punches a snake thing really hard, but the head shooting down the body thing doesn't happen.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Oh I see. Well now I'm upset it didn't happen.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

AnonSpore posted:

Originally I didn't spoil the middle bit about A New Hope so it made sense to spoil tag the other bits individually, then I went back and edited in a spoiler tag in case somebody draws conclusions about what is in Force Awakens based on the things I referenced in A New Hope and gets pissy about spoilers. :v:

:dealwithit:

Phanatic posted:

They tell you what system was destroyed by name. The name isn't Coruscant. That's not ambiguous.

So what was the name then? If you don't even remember then it was badly explained :colbert:

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
BB-8 explains it several times, if you were a real fan you would have brought your luminescent decoder ring from 1984 and could translate, or maybe you just thought he was a stupid droid, you racist piece of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

The only thing I remember is them saying that they were blowing up the galactic senate, which used to be on Coruscant and we literally see it on Coruscant in the prequel films, hence my saying its confusing and ambiguous. It makes sense the galactic senate could be somewhere else years and years later, but they spend zero time setting up the new planet.

darkhand posted:

BB-8 explains it several times, if you were a real fan you would have brought your luminescent decoder ring from 1984 and could translate, or maybe you just thought he was a stupid droid, you racist piece of poo poo.

Actually he was telling you to drink more ovaltine!