Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

http://kotaku.com/boy-opens-christmas-playstation-4-finds-a-block-of-woo-1749852904

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

also elite dangerous does in fact own

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
so i was gonna buy undertale but it's only $2 off so i'll wait until i have more time for video games

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot

quote:

From Kristin’s Facebook post: “This has ruined his belief in Santa.”
ahahahahahahahaha santa drew a dick on a block of wood

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

its you're posts!!

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
i tried elite dangerous on a friends oculus and it was cool but the lovely resolution was v noticeable also the fact that the hands didn't move like my hands kinda ruined it also i couldn't see the keyboard which was kinda lame well thats my elite story hth

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

bump_fn posted:

i tried elite dangerous on a friends oculus and it was cool but the lovely resolution was v noticeable also the fact that the hands didn't move like my hands kinda ruined it also i couldn't see the keyboard which was kinda lame well thats my elite story hth

is the retail version (or the vive) gonna have a higher res cause if so i'm very horned up to fly in the cold gay depths of space

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

angry_keebler posted:

i guess what i don't understand about assassin's creed is why does he keep doing the training? by now doesn't he have enough vr missions under his belt to finally go explore big shell or whatever

ive had a few drinks

tbh that was the premise of ac2 and he p much did that after 2

here be ye modern day stories following 2

ac2: desmond basically goes and relives ezios life so he can become a competent assassin. he p much does so, but at the end of 2 junos all like hey ezio I got a message for some dude named desmond who will see these memories in like 500 years

ac: brotherhood desmond continues to relive ezios life to figure out what happened to the pieces of eden and figure out a way to save the earth from the giant solar flare in december 2012

ac: revelations desmond has spent so much time as ezio that his mind refuses to believe that desmond actually exists, so desmond gets sent to a point where ezios memories will end (read: ezio finally gets laid) and gets a lead on the 2012 disaster

we also learn via geometry platform simulator that desmond was raised in a barn and then drunkenly slept his way to the big city and probably fathered a kid

ac3: desmond et al locate the needed way to save the world in upstate ny, but it's missing a key piece and unpowered. desmond relives the memories of templar grand master haytham kenway and his half-native american son conor

desmond locates the needed items and shoots up and kills a bunch of templars office from the first 2 games in one of the most satisfying payoffs, while conor supports the american revolution, eventually leading to the exile of his people and chattel slavery. eventually he gets drunk and dies in a ditch

ac4: you are a new "researcher" for astergo entertainment, the video game arm that the templars made with ubisoft, investigating the memories of edward kenway, haythams father and pirate. you get blackmailed by the world's worst it guy to do corporate espionage for the assassins

ac rogue: as a result of the ac4 dude, poo poo goes down in your office, and you set off a virus that leads you to investigating memories of an assassin turned templar. you also meet the badass dude who you technically were playing as in the ac2 multiplayer

unity and syndicate are pretty much just researching stuff, this time using consumers of abstergo media, and not employees, since the dude from ac4 ended up dead

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
someone drop a small res in cainhurst so I can kill this martyr

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
should also point out that desmond dies at the end of 3 which is why you now get a random nobody each game

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

ayn rand hand job posted:

ive had a few drinks

tbh that was the premise of ac2 and he p much did that after 2

here be ye modern day stories following 2

ac2: desmond basically goes and relives ezios life so he can become a competent assassin. he p much does so, but at the end of 2 junos all like hey ezio I got a message for some dude named desmond who will see these memories in like 500 years

ac: brotherhood desmond continues to relive ezios life to figure out what happened to the pieces of eden and figure out a way to save the earth from the giant solar flare in december 2012

ac: revelations desmond has spent so much time as ezio that his mind refuses to believe that desmond actually exists, so desmond gets sent to a point where ezios memories will end (read: ezio finally gets laid) and gets a lead on the 2012 disaster

we also learn via geometry platform simulator that desmond was raised in a barn and then drunkenly slept his way to the big city and probably fathered a kid

ac3: desmond et al locate the needed way to save the world in upstate ny, but it's missing a key piece and unpowered. desmond relives the memories of templar grand master haytham kenway and his half-native american son conor

desmond locates the needed items and shoots up and kills a bunch of templars office from the first 2 games in one of the most satisfying payoffs, while conor supports the american revolution, eventually leading to the exile of his people and chattel slavery. eventually he gets drunk and dies in a ditch

ac4: you are a new "researcher" for astergo entertainment, the video game arm that the templars made with ubisoft, investigating the memories of edward kenway, haythams father and pirate. you get blackmailed by the world's worst it guy to do corporate espionage for the assassins

ac rogue: as a result of the ac4 dude, poo poo goes down in your office, and you set off a virus that leads you to investigating memories of an assassin turned templar. you also meet the badass dude who you technically were playing as in the ac2 multiplayer

unity and syndicate are pretty much just researching stuff, this time using consumers of abstergo media, and not employees, since the dude from ac4 ended up dead

didn't one of the asscreeds reveal that stalin was an assassin

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot

Silver Alicorn posted:

its you're posts!!
nice to see mass effect 4 is going to be getting self-referential

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Space-Pope posted:

ahahahahahahahaha santa drew a dick on a block of wood

The kid was 9 anyway, why is he still believing in Santa

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

tis-100 is GOTY 1987 why did i not play this before

best massively parallel subcomputing ide ever

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
co op rom is fun as gently caress really liking chikage bloodtgine build

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Improbable Lobster posted:

didn't one of the asscreeds reveal that stalin was an assassin

nah, tesla was kind of sort of one, but stalin was a neutral party

why do i know this

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot

tesla was kind of sort of one
lol of loving course he would be in an asscreed

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Space-Pope posted:

was the pigeon he wanted to gently caress a templar

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Space-Pope posted:

i don't think he was in that AC but karl marx is a quest giver in the latest one

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
don't forget killing german templars with winston churchill in the midst of a zeppelin bombing raid

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
I don't know what's made up and what's true with those games at this point

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

nothing is true everything is permitted

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot
http://store.steampowered.com/app/370540/

:stare:

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i got imperial assault for christmas and i am awash in little plastic army men, cardboard bits and cards both large and small

can't wait to roll dise to shot mans

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

the whole premise of asscreed is dumb and needlessly complicated hth

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Al! posted:

I don't know what's made up and what's true with those games at this point

i'm a history teacher and this is a key topic in class - telling apart what actually happened* from what the writers added to movies, video games, etc.

after watching/playing these, the kids (as well as most adults) have a very certain idea of what actually happened (which is called their "Geschichtsbild") which may or may not be true. my 8th graders actually asked me whether we could talk about the new asscreed when we dealt with the french revolution this year because robespierre is in it. so we did, and we tried to figure out which parts are historically accurate (spoiler: not a lot) and which aren't. i could go into more detail but this isn't cjs

*as far as we can tell, ofc

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Katana Gomai posted:

their "Geschichtsbild"

goddamnit german has a word for everything

and please go on, sperg about how much assassin's creed got the french revolution wrong, I'm legit curious here

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Space-Pope posted:

supplementary comics

he caused the tunguska incident doing an experiment for the assassins

Katana Gomai posted:

i'm a history teacher and this is a key topic in class - telling apart what actually happened* from what the writers added to movies, video games, etc.

after watching/playing these, the kids (as well as most adults) have a very certain idea of what actually happened (which is called their "Geschichtsbild") which may or may not be true. my 8th graders actually asked me whether we could talk about the new asscreed when we dealt with the french revolution this year because robespierre is in it. so we did, and we tried to figure out which parts are historically accurate (spoiler: not a lot) and which aren't. i could go into more detail but this isn't cjs

unity didn't really use the events of the revolution in its story, it mainly was the setting

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Katana Gomai posted:

i mean

i'd be really interested in knowing more details~

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Symbolic Butt posted:

goddamnit german has a word for everything

and please go on, sperg about how much assassin's creed got the french revolution wrong, I'm legit curious here

well alright then, but i gotta preface this by saying that i haven't played any asscreed for more than half an hour except for black flag (which owns) because they're all terrible

so well first we watched this animated short https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQcOo8vR-s4 and since we had already dealt with the french revolution for a while, they were able to figure out which of the things presented are historically accurate and which aren't. since the shtick of the film is that "behind this story, a different one will be told", it's actually surprisingly accurate, albeit heavilty condensed of course

since i didn't play the game myself i had to look for a summary of the story and i gave them a (german) text; the kids who played the game said that the summary was correct. basically, the story takes the terreur ("reign of terror"), drops a few real names (robespierre, de sade, napoleon, louis xvi) and historical dates and just wings it for the rest. as far as i can tell, they never really bothered actually tying the PC into historic events, he always shows up right before or after something noticeable happens. he gets incarcerated at the bastille but isn't part of the storm; he shows up to question robespierre before he gets his head chopped off but he doesn't participate in it, etc. basically,

unity didn't really use the events of the revolution in its story, it mainly was the setting

asscreed just plays with history and that's fine, because they make it extremely obvious that it's just fiction (see the trailer above). what's really troubling is poo poo like cod (both old and new), because they paint a picture of war (and history) that kids subscribe to, without knowing that it's heavily romanticized. i haven't played any of the newer cods but even in the old ones, the simple fact that the player character never truly dies (you can always respawn) leads to a false idea of historic events. a huge amount of soldiers who were part of the first wave on d-day died right at the beach, but if you play that mission in cod2 (i think), you will keep respawning until you beat it. the cod soldier always wins and that alters kids' ideas about what war means

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Katana Gomai posted:

asscreed just plays with history and that's fine, because they make it extremely obvious that it's just fiction (see the trailer above). what's really troubling is poo poo like cod (both old and new), because they paint a picture of war (and history) that kids subscribe to, without knowing that it's heavily romanticized. i haven't played any of the newer cods but even in the old ones, the simple fact that the player character never truly dies (you can always respawn) leads to a false idea of historic events. a huge amount of soldiers who were part of the first wave on d-day died right at the beach, but if you play that mission in cod2 (i think), you will keep respawning until you beat it. the cod soldier always wins and that alters kids' ideas about what war means

People have had the same complaint about popular entertainment going back at least as far as Chaucer, who satirizes Froissart's (among others) romantic view of chivalrous knighthood during the Hundred Years' War.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

at the date posted:

People have had the same complaint about popular entertainment going back at least as far as Chaucer, who satirizes Froissart's (among others) romantic view of chivalrous knighthood during the Hundred Years' War.

don't get me wrong, i'm not saying they should stop doing it; games are an art form and dictating what art can and cannot do is regressive and highly problematic. i'm saying it takes good educators to teach kids to think critically so they can deconstruct historical narrations such as these

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

also I teach english as well (every teacher in germany teaches two subjects) and while i'm familiar with chaucer i didn't know that bit so thanks, i'll look into it

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
speedtree is ok but I really prefer herointree

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
the lock on for paarl is loving bullshit

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Katana Gomai posted:

the cod soldier always wins and that alters kids' ideas about what war means

idk watching protagonists slowly die in first person without being able to do anything except maybe limp for a few painful meters before expiring was kind of introduced by the mw james

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

.....im listening

but holy beans, never pay more than (4 times) twenty bucks for a video game, laffo

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Silver Alicorn posted:

its you're posts!!

its me!

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
How the gently caress did he talk to Robespierre when his lower jaw was behind held together by a handkerchief?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

apparently people are using valve's source film maker to make some really great stuff. i thought it was just for TF2 models or something.

:nws: :nms: A Gross And Bad Link :nws: :nms:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Dec 29, 2015

• Locked thread