Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Question for the the thread,

When's the next expected Macbook / Macbook Air / Macbook Pro update? Is it really WWDC 2016?

That's not until June :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They will be refreshed to Skylake whenever. It could be tomorrow.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

LionArcher posted:

Any reason not to upgrade via the refurbished store? The price for what I want (15inch retina, 16 gig, 256 to 512gb SSD) is so much cheaper than new.

Nope, lots of happy goons have used the refurb store. When Apple does the refurb, they do it right.. it's like getting a brand new machine with the major kinks already removed. If the possibility that someone else before you used it upsets you, don't do it, but if you dgaf about that it's a great deal, and you can still get the full 3 year AppleCare extended warranty for it.

quote:

Also is there any real important difference between 2014 and 2015 years? I am a writer as my primary day job, (This includes photo shop) though in the coming year I may be doing some 4k video editing as well.

No real difference other than the rMBP 2015 has twice the SSD speed as the rMBP 2014 (as long as your SSD is bigger than the 256 GB size) and that the 15-inch 2015 can support a 5K monitor (if you get the Radeon GPU.)

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
I bought this because I've always wanted one (the Mac, not the PVM)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Ha! I remember seeing one of those back in the early '00s. Post a pic of the crazy connector.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

lmao

Real answer:
We spend so much time here steering people toward the refurb store and repeating the same litany of praises that I found your post painfully ironic.

Yes, absolutely get your rMBP through the refurb store. From a physical standpoint, it'll be completely 100% indistinguishable from a brand new machine. Any component that isn't gets replaced with a new one. The warranty and AppleCare option are identical to what you get with a new machine for a reason.

Our go-to answer for the 'refurb 2013/2014 vs brand new 2015' question regarding MacBook Pros *with just integrated graphics* is that the CPUs got a negligible power bump and the 512gb SSD is now extraholyshitfast instead of merely holyshitfast (seriously, unless you're moving lots of data you probably won't ever notice the speed difference). Aside from those the only big change is that new witchcraft trackpad, which isn't necessarily worth the extra bucks just yet. Battery life is the same.

If you're planning on editing 4K or doing lots and lots of Photoshop or Lightroom work, then you might want to consider the 15" with the extra discrete GPU, which is otherwise identical to the lower-tier model. The 2013/2014 packs an Nvidia 750m but Apple switched to an AMD M370X for 2015. Whether it's a huge improvement over the Nvidia or just a marginal one/non-improvement/step backwards depends on your use case.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I'm convinced that the Apple laptops that get returned are crushed into tiny cubes and that all refurb stock are new units with cheaper prices to scoop up the segment of consumers that refuse to pay retail.

Also I had such a good experience with my refurb Macbook that I figured all manufacturers would be pretty close to the quality on their refurb stuff so I bought something from the Lenovo outlet store. Holy hell that thing looked like a turd and should have never been resold, never again.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

pzy posted:

I've never been more jealous of a SA post in my life. Good job! I've always wanted one of those too.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

pzy posted:

How much that run you?

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

empty baggie posted:

I've never been more jealous of a SA post in my life. Good job! I've always wanted one of those too.

I understand the sentiment but I've always found those to be very ironic machines. They were supposed to be very posh and exclusive, limited production run and high pricetag etc., but they were trailing edge Mac technology at a time when the Mac was lagging the PC badly, so as an ultimate computer they were always a bad joke. There wasn't much original engineering either, it was a rush job so they basically took a bunch of existing boards designed for other Mac models with radically different enclosures, laid them flat on top of each other, and constructed the world's most hideous ribbon cable harness to tie it all together. They ended up having to sell them at fire-sale prices (relative to their original price) to move even the limited production run.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Tab8715 posted:

The higher-end Mac Mini's have a Intel Iris GPU which give near-dedicated GPU Performance.

Granted, consumers and business alike should expect Intel's latest chips and it's unfortunate Skylake isn't readily available in the entire Apple PC lineup but it's still a very capable machine.
There's Iris and Iris Pro, the higher end Mac minis have the former, while the latter is the one that you're thinking of. There's a major difference between them (plus the Iris Pro stuff is only available with the quad core chips, which would be another nice boost).

Probably won't happen (cause it generally lags and/or is a dumping ground for older/spare notebook parts) but if they're taking their time with it I wouldn't mind if they skipped Skylake and went straight to Kaby Lake with them next year.

BobHoward posted:

They ended up having to sell them at fire-sale prices (relative to their original price) to move even the limited production run.
But did they still come with the limo delivery and white glove setup service?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

They will be refreshed to Skylake whenever. It could be tomorrow.

I'm under the impression that the Macbook Air is due for a Retina upgrade and given how integrated the display is to the processing components a whole physical overhaul is required. Otherwise, we'd just have Skylake with the same display but beyond Early-2016 every PC Laptop will have a 4k+ display.

I wouldn't mind Kabylake given how lackluster Skylake has been but from the history of Intel's launches that wouldn't be until October.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Tab8715 posted:

I'm under the impression that the Macbook Air is due for a Retina upgrade and given how integrated the display is to the processing components a whole physical overhaul is required. Otherwise, we'd just have Skylake with the same display but beyond Early-2016 every PC Laptop will have a 4k+ display.
Depends what the plan with it is, cause the MacBook is already like an airier MacBook Air. They could drop the MBA, or give it one last basic spec bump (like the 2012 non retina MBP) or some major redesign to keep it around. Between the MB and MBP (itself also becoming airier over the years) I'm not sure how much space there is for the MBA, particularly if the MB expands to a two size lineup.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

So after reading the last 10ish pages, I am double check my purchase before I gently caress it up.
I am ready to replace my 3 year old lovely $300 Samsung laptop. After tons of research, I have realized it is time to switch to a Mac. I want something sturdy, with good battery life, and do little to no gaming/photoshop type stuff.

I am leaning towards a 13 in Mackbook Air. The specs I have read to go for are the default processor, 8 gigs ram, and the 256 hard drive. Am I missing anything other then waiting on the new Intel processor that may come out tomorrow/ in July?

Any big things I am missing at all?

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

Snowmankilla posted:

So after reading the last 10ish pages, I am double check my purchase before I gently caress it up.
I am ready to replace my 3 year old lovely $300 Samsung laptop. After tons of research, I have realized it is time to switch to a Mac. I want something sturdy, with good battery life, and do little to no gaming/photoshop type stuff.

I am leaning towards a 13 in Mackbook Air. The specs I have read to go for are the default processor, 8 gigs ram, and the 256 hard drive. Am I missing anything other then waiting on the new Intel processor that may come out tomorrow/ in July?

Any big things I am missing at all?

That it has a low res display. But if it doesn't bother you, it meets all the other criteria.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Air display is ancient. It has low resolution and bad viewing angles. Get the Retina.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hello. This is the correct Mac to purchase.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

fleshweasel posted:

Hello. This is the correct Mac to purchase.

Thank you for the quick replies! So are there any reasons to get a Air vs Macbook? Battery life, and you hate the retina display?

I am glad I asked!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

The refurb 4GB Air is $849 ($300 less than the refurb 8/256GB Retina, and you can get it new at Best Buy for $799 quite often. It has it's place still.

Cozmosis posted:

That it has a low res display. But if it doesn't bother you, it meets all the other criteria.

Low resolution would be the 1280x800 display in the old 13" Pro. 1440x900 is pretty nice, which is what I run my Retina at.

Mu Zeta posted:

The Air display is ancient. It has low resolution and bad viewing angles. Get the Retina.

It's still better than most of your other TN panels (Thinkpads etc). It's also not glossy like the Retina

I'm not saying to get the Air over the Retina, but it is cheaper and does have its advantages. A little longer battery life, the Retina screen is beautiful but it can look 'weird' especially if you like things like pixel art games.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The battery life on the Air and 13" Macbook Retina are just about identical for stuff like web browsing and music/movie streaming.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

That is even more awesome detail.

It seems like about $200 more for a 8/256. For a nicer display and way bigger processor, it seems like $200 well spent.

I need to go play with both of them and see if the "glossiness" will bother me or not.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If you're new to Macs you should consider using Safari instead of Chrome. Google is working on it but right now Chrome uses up a ton of battery.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!

Djarum posted:

How much that run you?

I got it for around $800 on eBay, but the guy packed it like an idiot and the subwoofer/power supply suffered a bunch of cracks, a missing plastic chunk, and dents all over. It was literally thrown into a box with whole loose magazines and junk mail as padding, rolling around with the CPU unit face-down on the bottom of the box. Yeesh.

It did come working and hardware-complete though which is all you can ask for I guess, also the bonus of the peripherals box with leather CD case, rainbow apple stickers, Comm slot and PCI risers (so friggin hard to find), pristine manuals and paperwork... good stuff! Now I just need to find the external box if I'm truly insane.

Mac OS 7.6.1 is as glorious as I remember! I ordered 128MB RAM and am currently trying to get it online. Apparently any old RTL PCI ethernet card will work, but I can't figure out a good way to get the driver onto the machine - I'm going to borrow a USB CD burner and see if I can get that to work for moving files around.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
So I have a late-2013 13" rMBP. Didn't buy it with the intention of doing much gaming and I know the severe limitations of the hardware, but I have been traveling for work a lot more and want to try booting into Windows to see if I can run a few more games while I'm on the road. Nothing cutting edge. I know it's far from ideal but I really don't want to upgrade as the laptop is perfect for everything else I use it for, and probably just old enough that I'd take a good hit on selling it.

I've read a few guides that seem to imply I can set up an instance of Windows to Go on a SSD in an external enclosure and just boot from that. Has anyone in here done that or heard of it being done? I know Boot Camp Assistant itself will not install to an external drive, but it seems that it's possible to create one from a Windows machine and just copy over the Boot Camp drivers as discussed here.

Or should I just use Boot Camp to create a Windows partition on my internal SSD and use the external solely for storing my Steam library? If Boot Camp, how small can I get away with making the partition for a fresh install of Windows 10 if I'm not planning to install any applications to the partition? I'm thinking 30 GB or so?

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Tyro posted:

So I have a late-2013 13" rMBP. Didn't buy it with the intention of doing much gaming and I know the severe limitations of the hardware, but I have been traveling for work a lot more and want to try booting into Windows to see if I can run a few more games while I'm on the road. Nothing cutting edge. I know it's far from ideal but I really don't want to upgrade as the laptop is perfect for everything else I use it for, and probably just old enough that I'd take a good hit on selling it.

I've read a few guides that seem to imply I can set up an instance of Windows to Go on a SSD in an external enclosure and just boot from that. Has anyone in here done that or heard of it being done? I know Boot Camp Assistant itself will not install to an external drive, but it seems that it's possible to create one from a Windows machine and just copy over the Boot Camp drivers as discussed here.

Or should I just use Boot Camp to create a Windows partition on my internal SSD and use the external solely for storing my Steam library? If Boot Camp, how small can I get away with making the partition for a fresh install of Windows 10 if I'm not planning to install any applications to the partition? I'm thinking 30 GB or so?

just make a small boot camp partition on your internal drive, it's less of a ballache than futzing around with external stuff. 30gb should be more than enough.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009
The buyers guide website (http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#Mac) says don't buy a MPB and caution for buying an Air.

First time mac buyer, how much of a change will the new versions be? Will it really be worth holding off for? Or is it just going to be a slightly faster CPU and a slightly different look?

EvilElmo fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Dec 28, 2015

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:
Currently using an '09 Macbook Pro and wanting to upgrade to the 13-inch Air (I really can't tell resolutions apart so the Retina upgrade wouldn't affect me much), but not wanting to pay 100 big ones for the extra 4GB of RAM. Is it still an enormous pain in the rear end to grab some aftermarket RAM sticks and put them in Macbooks, or is it finally as easy an affair as it is for upgrading PC components?

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

Heavy Lobster posted:

Currently using an '09 Macbook Pro and wanting to upgrade to the 13-inch Air (I really can't tell resolutions apart so the Retina upgrade wouldn't affect me much), but not wanting to pay 100 big ones for the extra 4GB of RAM. Is it still an enormous pain in the rear end to grab some aftermarket RAM sticks and put them in Macbooks, or is it finally as easy an affair as it is for upgrading PC components?

RAM on current MacBook Airs are soldered and not upgradeable. And you definitely want the 8GB, so... just have to suck it up and pay the $100.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

GokieKS posted:

RAM on current MacBook Airs are soldered and not upgradeable. And you definitely want the 8GB, so... just have to suck it up and pay the $100.

Oof, that sucks. If that's the case I might have to go with the thread favorite Macbook Pro, the difference in price between the two refurbished models is only 130 bucks which makes the Retina display effectively cost about as much as a nice dinner for one. Thanks for the tip! It was posted all of last page ago, but just to confirm, this Pro is definitely the model to pick up, right?

e: It was on this page and is definitely that one; ordered now. Thanks thread! :)

Heavy Lobster fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Dec 28, 2015

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

EvilElmo posted:

The buyers guide website (http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#Mac) says don't buy a MPB and caution for buying an Air.

First time mac buyer, how much of a change will the new versions be? Will it really be worth holding off for? Or is it just going to be a slightly faster CPU and a slightly different look?
Basically... :iiam:. MBAs could get killed off or spec bumped or revamped entirely (one of my recent posts is about that). I’m guessing MBPs would get a spec bump (2016 GPUs could be a nice bump if available on time), but they could also do something crazy with TB3 (USB-C) ports for all we know, like replace the standard USB-A ports.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Just give me quad core minis please!

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Heavy Lobster posted:

, or is it finally as easy an affair as it is for upgrading PC components?

Mac has been steadily moving away from making their machines upgradable at all for years now. If long term upgradability is what you want you're going to have to look elsewhere.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Cyrano4747 posted:

Apple has been steadily moving away from making their machines upgradable at all for years now.

Fixed. "Mac" is a product name, not the name of the company.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

The 13" is at 1440x900 and while isn't much it's still an improvement over 1280x900. Hell, the old PC Standard was 1366x768. Its non-glossy and while might be a TN it's a good TN.

Bob Morales posted:

The refurb 4GB Air is $849 ($300 less than the refurb 8/256GB Retina, and you can get it new at Best Buy for $799 quite often. It has it's place still.

If only Best Buy carried the 13" with 8GB. :smith:

EvilElmo posted:

How much?

It'll be an entire overhaul and new physical chassis. It'll probably include a Retina or High-DPI (>1080P) display and maybe some kind of Force Touch Trackpad.

Skylake was a little uneventful but there are modest improvements in graphic and battery life.

I'd pick up a Macbook Air if it was >$900 for a i5/8GB/256GB but otherwise I'll wait. The new Macbook seems cool ahead of it's time. Is there even a functional USB-C Hub yet that does mDP, charging and USB 3.0?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Tab8715 posted:

Is there even a functional USB-C Hub yet that does mDP, charging and USB 3.0?

http://www.theverge.com/2015/12/16/10285954/macbook-usb-c-hub-charging-neo-c

http://technology-port.com/minix-neo-c-usb-dock-c-for-continuum-the-test-hdblog-it.html

Coming in January 2016 according to vendor.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Dec 28, 2015

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/nonda/get-your-macbook-ports-back/posts/1341145

No chip exists, project is on hold.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
Who else remembers that horrible and hideous version of IE? Good times.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Just saw that, look above you, the post.. it has been revised

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
That pinstriping brings back memories, and they are not good ones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Tab8715 posted:

It'll be an entire overhaul and new physical chassis. It'll probably include a Retina or High-DPI (>1080P) display and maybe some kind of Force Touch Trackpad.
So...the MacBook :v:

quote:

Is there even a functional USB-C Hub yet that does mDP, charging and USB 3.0?
Eh, well here's some others that come short until that comes along:

OWC's 2016 one has HDMI: https://eshop.macsales.com/preorder/OWC-USB-C-Dock/

MS' phone dock supposedly works on the MacBook...but only USB 2.0, and sounds like DP over USB-C anyway:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/mobile/accessory/hd-500/

And another possible contender from Dell, vague/sparse on details though (along with a TB3 dock for that matter):
http://www.dell.com/learn/us/en/vn/press-releases/2015-08-10-dell-xps-just-got-better