Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I want to do something crazy and make an all-melee Black Templars list where they roll up in land raider crusaders and go to work. Would they die before reaching their target? Most likely.

Would it be hilarious? No, not really. Just expensive as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Star Man posted:

I want to do something crazy and make an all-melee Black Templars list where they roll up in land raider crusaders and go to work. Would they die before reaching their target? Most likely.

I mean, if they're all in Land Raiders they might actually make it, but doing something once they're in assault is the question.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SRM posted:

I mean, if they're all in Land Raiders they might actually make it, but doing something once they're in assault is the question.

I've played against it a couple of editions ago, and it really depends on the luck of the (penetration) die. It is kind of an all or nothing game, if you get 2 or 3 landraiders knocked out before you get there you might as well pack up.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

big_g posted:

I've been following this thread since its first incarnation burning spiders in the name of the Emperor in GBS, but rarely post as I tend to stick to the scale modelling thread. I've just been working on a Tau Ghostkeel though and as it's just about done I thought I would share some pictures. Just a small snagging list then it's done.

gently caress me, this is a sexy stealthy robit. I love the super crisp digicamo on the back array. How did you do that? Just freehand?

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.

ineptmule posted:

gently caress me, this is a sexy stealthy robit. I love the super crisp digicamo on the back array. How did you do that? Just freehand?

I airbrushed it with a pre-made masks it's the first time I've tried doing digi cam and I'm pretty happy with how it came out.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

big_g posted:

I've been following this thread since its first incarnation burning spiders in the name of the Emperor in GBS, but rarely post as I tend to stick to the scale modelling thread. I've just been working on a Tau Ghostkeel though and as it's just about done I thought I would share some pictures. Just a small snagging list then it's done.

A good robot in a good post.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

Star Man posted:

You're also spending a ridiculous amount of points on the Land Raiders themselves. Not that the tank won't put in work, and the Crusader is the most pro variant, but suddenly every squad is costing you 450 points and welp you ain't got enough dudes.

That said, you should do it anyway. I've tried the same concept but with Deathwing Terminators, and it ate poo poo every time, but it was rad as hell.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
The problem is that melee is just not an easy thing to pull off. You have to get across the board, hope your ride doesn't get blown to bits, and you've got to chase the unit you're after while they play keep away from the tank full of crusaders and a very angry Emperor's Champion.

But it would be the bee's knees to pull it off once.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Caestus seems like the best way, plus it can hold 10 terminators.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Star Man posted:

The problem is that melee is just not an easy thing to pull off. You have to get across the board, hope your ride doesn't get blown to bits, and you've got to chase the unit you're after while they play keep away from the tank full of crusaders and a very angry Emperor's Champion.

But it would be the bee's knees to pull it off once.

One way to go is to go mostly Land Raiders, but also include a dangerous unit in a Drop Pod to confuse their target priority on the first turn/approach. Pop smoke and flat-out the Land Raiders and force them to choose which to deal with.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Bite the bullet and take a Skyhammer.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

raverrn posted:

Bite the bullet and take a Skyhammer.

Seriously, if you want assault, this is one of the best ways to get it. Assault Marines aren't exactly world-endingly good, but assaulting on arrival is killer and you can use your Devastators to open up transports or wreck potential hazards for your infantry. It's just such a powerful and versatile Formation.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
devestator centurion heavy bolters make very good underslung weapons for a land speeder

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

PierreTheMime posted:

Seriously, if you want assault, this is one of the best ways to get it. Assault Marines aren't exactly world-endingly good, but assaulting on arrival is killer and you can use your Devastators to open up transports or wreck potential hazards for your infantry. It's just such a powerful and versatile Formation.

What about with an ordo xenos inquisitor with rad grenades and a chaplain?

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

It's a force multiplier, sure, but it's better not to put too much in one basket, especially in a meta where there's a good number of Interceptor weapons and strong Overwatch. Better to spread things out unless you enjoy losing everything in one go.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
What about an ordo xenos inquisitor with rad grenades and a chaplain in a Caestus?

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008
So I had some time today, and wanted to lay out my Catachan infantry to decide exactly how Hixson's new Squat recruits would fit in and be armed - don't want anyone sitting out on the sidelines of an Apoc battle because they were odd man out of a legal squad build. This turned into laying out my entire army for a group shot. This then turned into laying out ALL my armies for group shots.

Here's 3,157pts of JP Regiment Catachan.

2,999pts of Catachan allies (Deathworlders, Mercenaries, Dendromancer and Jungle Daemons, Mechanicum Squats, Imperial Knight).

4,543pts of Craftworld Mata Nui Eldar (including 500pts of allied Wraithsuits using Tau Battlesuit rules).

And a mighty 6,857pts of Splinter Fleet Wyvern Tyranids (plus a few Genestealer Cultists to mix into Catachan/Eldar armies when allying).

...guess I've spent a lot of time on this hobby, huh?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
fukken owns

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

SRM posted:

fukken owns
Thanks - having lots of fun with my latest 500pt detachment. Those who wanted me to make more dino riders are going to be happy!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Great art but oh my god putting all those in and out of cases!

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

It's not bad, actually - I have a dresser right next to where the table sets up, and I'm working on laser-cut drawer inserts. Eventually I'll have a slot cut for every model, and a brief identifier (say, "FD" for Fire Dragons) written in each circle. Makes setup a breeze, and the models don't rattle around when opening/closing drawers.

My Catachan live in a nice tackle box, so they're my grab-and-go army for away games.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

BuffaloChicken posted:

It's not bad, actually - I have a dresser right next to where the table sets up, and I'm working on laser-cut drawer inserts. Eventually I'll have a slot cut for every model, and a brief identifier (say, "FD" for Fire Dragons) written in each circle. Makes setup a breeze, and the models don't rattle around when opening/closing drawers.

My Catachan live in a nice tackle box, so they're my grab-and-go army for away games.

that's not a bad idea. where do you go to get that done?

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

that's not a bad idea. where do you go to get that done?
Got a buddy who does it for work - I can email him a file, next time we hang out he brings me lasered goodies. Same guy working on this laser-cut Necron board:

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

LingcodKilla posted:

A lot of nights when I go gaming I just bring my Dark Angels or whatever because I can't bring myself to haul three KR cases of Valhallans just to unload.

So I got a bunch of old Orks, new in blister, in an eBay auction a while ago for a hell of a good deal. In there I found a few of the old Kannons, and since they're so cheap and fit the military theme of my Blood Axes, I had to put them together! Unfortunately the two blisters were both missing a grot gunner, so I called up GW and that same day a pair of resin Kannons were on their way, no questions asked! I also used the Forgeworld grot crew models to fill out some bodies in the squad, and they're wonderfully characterful models.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

The assault marines won't be able to use their special rule in order to charge on the turn they Deep Strike onto the table if they have an IC attached, since the character doesn't have the special rule. I was thinking about attaching a Captain until I realized that it wouldn't work. They're still pretty useful though, especially against fragile fire support units.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Phyresis posted:

The assault marines won't be able to use their special rule in order to charge on the turn they Deep Strike onto the table if they have an IC attached, since the character doesn't have the special rule. I was thinking about attaching a Captain until I realized that it wouldn't work. They're still pretty useful though, especially against fragile fire support units.

IC rule says "While an Independent Character is part of a unit, he counts as part of the unit for all rules purposes"

First the Fire, then the Blade says "Assault Squads can charge even though they arrived from Reserves this turn", the IC is part of the Assault Squad per the IC rule, so the IC should be able to charge too.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

"While an Independent Character is part of a unit, he counts as part of the unit for all rules purposes"

Yeah, he counts as part of a unit in terms of like receiving unit-wide buffs/debuffs but he doesn't count as part of the Formation and will not benefit from First the Fire, then the Blade. And since he can't charge, the assault marines won't be able to charge. In fact, the assault marines wouldn't be able to use Shock Deployment to automatically come in from Reserves to begin with.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Phyresis posted:

Yeah, he counts as part of a unit in terms of like receiving unit-wide buffs/debuffs but he doesn't count as part of the Formation and will not benefit from First the Fire, then the Blade. And since he can't charge, the assault marines won't be able to charge.

dis:agreed:

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Attaching an Independent Character to a unit does not confer that unit's special rules to the IC, except for those special rules which are explicitly conferred to a unit if "at least one" model in that unit has them (Acute Senses, Adamantium Will, Counter-attack, Crusader, Fearless, Hit & Run, Infiltrate, Monster Hunter, Move Through Cover, Night Vision, Outflank, Preferred Enemy, Shrouded, Scout, Skilled Rider, Slow and Purposeful, Split Fire, Stealth, Stubborn, Tank Hunters, Zealot)

Phyresis fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Dec 29, 2015

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Phyresis posted:

Attaching an Independent Character to a unit does not confer that unit's special rules to the IC, except for those special rules which are explicitly conferred to a unit if "one or more" models in that unit have them.

basis?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I think the classic example would be a unit with FNP joined by an IC.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

That's just the rules of the game, which are of course explicit, not implicit. There's no general game mechanic that would allow such a thing. "While an Independent Character is part of a unit, he counts as part of the unit for all rules purposes" just means that together they still form a "unit" for gameplay purposes; special rules exist (and are checked) on a model-per-model basis and many existing mixed units are comprised of models that have different special rules. Sometimes the veteran has an extra special rule or two, such as in the case of Eldar Aspect Warriors.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I mean I'm okay with it because the formation is dumb as gently caress but still

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

http://www.blacklibrary.com/collections-and-bundles/citadel-collections

Interesting idea but I have no idea how much how you actually save from this considering the pretty decent pricetag on most of these.
Although I noticed that there is no IG bundle. Not even one that combines the IG codex and the Scion one. Feels like a glaring oversight because I would've assumed IG had gotten a whole bunch of formations by now.

Oh and they have apparently fixed the issue with the IG codex FAQ and made it into a proper PDF.
Now only if they could make the FAQ page readily accessible on Black Library's website so I don't have to go through a newletter link to find it.

Edit: One change. One goddamn change for this errata update. :geno:

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Dec 29, 2015

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Cooked Auto posted:

Interesting idea but I have no idea how much how you actually save from this considering the pretty decent pricetag on most of these.
Although I noticed that there is no IG bundle. Not even one that combines the IG codex and the Scion one. Feels like a glaring oversight because I would've assumed IG had gotten a whole bunch of formations by now.

I see Tyranids for 90 bucks and was not expecting 1 codex and 2 supplements. Yikes!

Could you imagine if Age of Sigmar wasn't "free"?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

So I noticed an odd discrepancy, the Scion codex isn't available on the Black Library site but is via the GW store page. :raise:

LordAba posted:

Could you imagine if Age of Sigmar wasn't "free"?

Like the nay sayers even need any more fire.

Speckled Jim
Dec 13, 2008
First of my new Nightlords Chaos army. Maximum lightning claws! I expect to lose a lot of games, but at least they'll be pretty.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
You're gonna lose in style, that lightning is dope as gently caress.

Germ
May 7, 2013

That whole model is incredible. I love the color scheme, and the red on the face provides an awesome color contrast and a great focal point. Also:

SRM posted:

that lightning is dope as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Cooked Auto posted:

Oh and they have apparently fixed the issue with the IG codex FAQ and made it into a proper PDF.
Now only if they could make the FAQ page readily accessible on Black Library's website so I don't have to go through a newletter link to find it.

Edit: One change. One goddamn change for this errata update. :geno:

Codex: Chaos Space Marines and Codex: Chaos Daemons are also missing from those bundles. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that those armies are getting new codices soon.

• Locked thread