Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

The Lord of Hats posted:

It's pretty easy to agree with Rorschach on your first read through Watchmen; it's something you have to read multiple times to really get different characters' takes on the situation, and Rorschach's very, well, comic-book view of the world is easy to comprehend: Ozymandias killed a ton of people, therefore he is Guilty/Evil/Scum. That said, if you go around declaring him your favorite character and talk about how right he is you pretty clearly haven't thought about Watchmen that critically!

basicaly everyone is piece of poo poo in watchmen in one way or another except Hollis Mason and Bubastis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

The Lord of Hats posted:

It's pretty easy to agree with Rorschach on your first read through Watchmen; it's something you have to read multiple times to really get different characters' takes on the situation, and Rorschach's very, well, comic-book view of the world is easy to comprehend: Ozymandias killed a ton of people, therefore he is Guilty/Evil/Scum. That said, if you go around declaring him your favorite character and talk about how right he is you pretty clearly haven't thought about Watchmen that critically!

Rorschach's whole deal is absolute blind adherence to the letter of the law, except when it applies to him. You should really be able to figure out pretty easy that he's not supposed to be good.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

The Lord of Hats posted:

It's pretty easy to agree with Rorschach on your first read through Watchmen;

Or if you are Zach Snyder.

There's a great BBC special, "In Search of Steve Ditko", where Moore talks a lot about all this, and he says he's not surprised about Rorschach's popularity: the character's politics are "mad", but he has a "ferocious moral integrity." I'd add that the story is built around a horrific secret, the knowledge of which destroys an apparently equally-sociopathic character in the beginning, but doesn't even ruffle Rorschach at the end.

Obvious parallel to self-image of 'race realists'.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Dapper_Swindler posted:

after looking, i found a review of the new star wars movie by him. http://www.staresattheworld.com/201...f-a-broken-boy/ SPOILERS abound also he doesnt like finn or rey. and you learn in the comics that his favourite scifi/fantasy characters was Rorschach which explains alot.

This wasn't bad at the start then he stopped actually talking about the movie and began ranting about stuff.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Oh, so Steve Ditko is the guy behind this weird poo poo: http://www.dialbforblog.com/archives/297/

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Dec 28, 2015

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Doc Hawkins posted:

Or if you are Zach Snyder.

The way he rewrote the flashback scene with the child murderer and the dogs pretty much says everything about Zach Snyder.

GottaPayDaTrollToll
Dec 3, 2009

by Lowtax

GunnerJ posted:

Oh, so Steve Ditko is the guy behind this weird poo poo: http://www.dialbforblog.com/archives/297/

Alan Moore posted:

A few years ago, I was in a local rock band called The Emperors of Ice Cream, and one of our numbers that always went down very well live, was a thing called, "Mr. A", says Moore. "The beat and the tune of it were completely stolen from "Sister Ray" by the Velvet Underground, but the lyrics were all about Steve Ditko ... One of the verses was, "He takes a card and shades one-half of it in dark, so he can demonstrate to you just what he means/He says, 'There's wrong and there's right, there's black and there's white, and there is nothing, nothing in-between.' That's what Mr. A says." [laughter] And then we'd go into the chorus. Yeah, it was a Velvet Underground thrash, but with lyrics about Steve Ditko.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tdaw1GFdIU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Like, I'm just scrolling through some pictures of these Mr. A comics and I even if I didn't already know I could have told that an Objectivist made them just because they cram these walls of text into goddamn comic book speech bubbles (or speech boxes in this case). Who the gently caress picks up a comic book to read all that?

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

GunnerJ posted:

Like, I'm just scrolling through some pictures of these Mr. A comics and I even if I didn't already know I could have told that an Objectivist made them just because they cram these walls of text into goddamn comic book speech bubbles (or speech boxes in this case). Who the gently caress picks up a comic book to read all that?

Steve Ditko.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

GunnerJ posted:

I've read really wordy comics by Alan Moore, Neil Gaiman, Grant Morrison - the usual suspects. The purity of Ditko's outsider art phase is really interesting and I need to find the essays I've read about it - it's so CLEAR that it's scary: http://comicsalliance.com/steve-ditko-self-published-comics-mr-a-summary-spider-man-objectivism/

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Borgesesque? pretty much, Rorschach is an interesting somewhat tragic character but if you take him at face value and want that to be your role model. you may have issues. Then again i liked hosed up characters too (like tywin lannister, stannis barrathion, the galactic empire, the impirum of man other weird nerdy poo poo.) but then again i dont view them as role models to use for life choices.

One of the issues is that good guys are boring. This is why antiheroes have become increasingly popular. First off the world doesn't run on the stark black and white morality that comic book logic likes to portray. Second off "well I always do the right thing because it's the right thing to do!" isn't very dynamic. It's why bad guys rant and good guys say "dear bad guy: I will stop you! Also, shut up."

Archetypical heroes basically all have the same personality. You can just do more with villains and antiheroes.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
If I ever get a time machine, I am travelling back in time to tell Manfred Von Richtoffen that in the future, he will be remembered mainly as the nemesis of a cartoon American dog.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Red Baron was a cool game back in the day.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

The Lord of Hats posted:

Rorschach is far and away the best-developed character in the book, so it's not that surprising.

bartlebyshop posted:

The Borgesian Effect

:golfclap:

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Anticheese posted:

Red Baron was a cool game back in the day.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

divabot posted:

Rorschach is far and away the best-developed character in the book, so it's not that surprising.

He's the guy who's figuring out the mystery and even if you don't agree with his sacrifice at the end, it still puts him in the position of someone who's refusing to compromise his moral principles and will die for it. There's a strong narrative reason to sympathize with him.

I mean he's also a paranoid smelly nutbar who probably has a manifesto and spends his time fulminating about whores and homosexuals so he's not the kind of person you would want actually existing anywhere in the world and the paranoid smelly nutbars who spend their time fulminating about whores and homosexuals identify with him largely for that reason. But he's definitely not portrayed as straightforwardly negative in the text.

It's like the Breaking Bad or Mad Men. It's perfectly geared to appeal to both reactionaries and their critics.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
I always sympathized with Dan, who's clearly the most human character. Rorschach's 'virtues' aren't very useful outside of a stereotypical comic book world, and I never got the appeal of the moral clarity thing. On my first reading I saw Ozymandias' point, even if that soured a bit after 9/11. Doctor Manhattan's view of time is also starting to make sense.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

blackguy32 posted:

This wasn't bad at the start then he stopped actually talking about the movie and began ranting about stuff.

pretty much, the dude has major issues with women and minoritis which is an understatement.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

pretty much, the dude has major issues with women and minoritis which is an understatement.

I know you just made a typo but "minoritis" sounds hilarious and/or depressing. Imagine Donald "Maybe it says he's a Muslim" Trump shouting that to Make America Great Again we must cure her of her "minor-itis"

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Suitaru posted:

I know you just made a typo but "minoritis" sounds hilarious and/or depressing. Imagine Donald "Maybe it says he's a Muslim" Trump shouting that to Make America Great Again we must cure her of her "minor-itis"

probaly.

back on fake kane. reading more of his stuff (gently caress me) apparently his view of women is that they should just be mothers and babymakers and thats it.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Eve allows herself to be tricked.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

http://www.staresattheworld.com/
his full blog.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Lady Naga posted:

She wasn't even the first woman though. The first one wasn't submissive enough so God made a second one out of Adam's dick bone.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I think it's nice that he's at least honest in that he is "trained" as a Historian as opposed to actually being competent, or even qualified, as it seems he's got his entire notion of Chivalry and Chivalric Orders from popular Romances as opposed to actual historical record, which is pretty bleak, dismal and doesn't paint them in a hugely positive light, assuming you see "being of benefit to society and the advancement of humanity" as a positive, of course, which I'm not sure he does.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Ddraig posted:

I think it's nice that he's at least honest in that he is "trained" as a Historian as opposed to actually being competent, or even qualified, as it seems he's got his entire notion of Chivalry and Chivalric Orders from popular Romances as opposed to actual historical record, which is pretty bleak, dismal and doesn't paint them in a hugely positive light, assuming you see "being of benefit to society and the advancement of humanity" as a positive, of course, which I'm not sure he does.

he probably unironically thinks westeros has a good political set up.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Ddraig posted:

I think it's nice that he's at least honest in that he is "trained" as a Historian as opposed to actually being competent, or even qualified...

What does it even mean, or what does it reflect? Does having a BA in history make you "trained as a historian"? Like yeah majoring in history will train you in the methods of historical research, sure. It doesn't give you any authority. The results of your research do, whatever level of education you've attained.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

GunnerJ posted:

What does it even mean, or what does it reflect? Does having a BA in history make you "trained as a historian"? Like yeah majoring in history will train you in the methods of historical research, sure. It doesn't give you any authority. The results of your research do, whatever level of education you've attained.

i read it that he's hedging his bets out of some unconscious low self esteem, being 'trained' in history just means, like, you went to an archive and looked some stuff up and wrote about it. history degrees are pretty bullshit degrees (don't get mad gentle reader, i have a history degree). so when describing himself and his achievements, foremost of which was graduating from college after having read a sufficient number of books and writing book reports, saying "i was trained in history" sounds a lot better than "i have a degree in history" without going into the full lie of "i am a historian" because to say that you actually have to produce new works about history

so much about aruini screams identity crisis, like how he's constantly waving about all these tokens and symbols of manhood or how he bitterly hates women with opinions. people don't keep asserting that they're big strong manly men because they're confident in their masculinity, and they don't summarize their lives with a pretty standard milestone if they're confident in their abilities and achievements

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Yeah, he clearly has issues. It's almost tempting to have a degree of sympathy for him, but then again he has a plastic skull called McArthur so gently caress him.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I know he didn't come up with it, but every time I see some piece of poo poo call Finn "Mace Dindu" it makes my goddamn skin crawl.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Who What Now posted:

I know he didn't come up with it, but every time I see some piece of poo poo call Finn "Mace Dindu" it makes my goddamn skin crawl.

indeed.

Popular Thug Drink posted:

so much about aruini screams identity crisis, like how he's constantly waving about all these tokens and symbols of manhood or how he bitterly hates women with opinions. people don't keep asserting that they're big strong manly men because they're confident in their masculinity, and they don't summarize their lives with a pretty standard milestone if they're confident in their abilities and achievements

its because he is a superficial sadbrain. He needs to feel important and not impotent like he probaly does most of the most of the time. he doesn't feel confident in himself and his masculinty and so he buries himself in /pol/ right wing bullshit to feel important because there he stronk whiteman and hate that women arnt just baby factories for his small cock.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Dec 28, 2015

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Ddraig posted:

Yeah, he clearly has issues. It's almost tempting to have a degree of sympathy for him, but then again he has a plastic skull called McArthur so gently caress him.

I feel some sympathy for sargon and some of the others, but not kane. Kane is prick.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Aurini 'studied for a degree' but I've never seen him directly mention having one. He feels like he knows enough to give advice to PhD students tho.

"He's badass, like Rorschach!" has become an in-joke among my friends.

The character is appealing to normal people because he's a wounded human being who turned to a hardline ideology in an attempt to keep his hold of his rationality, and is compelling for doing so. He's believably, flawed, humanly so. He's appealing to idiots because he doesn't compromise and kicks asses and says one-liners and injects grimdark baby nihilism directly into the captions. He possesses both the characteristics we all secretly wish we had - being right about a conspiracy, having a willingness to die for your convictions, a fairly comprehensive philosophy to adhere to, etc. - but also the sort of human downsides you would genuinely expect from a 'real' superhero-archetype. Kovacs is aware that he is insane, sad, lonely etc. and finds peace by enacting the elaborate fantasy that he 'is Rorschach'. He takes tremendous effort to convince himself and the world that he isn't crazy, that was the other guy, and he is Rorschach now, I promise! Ninety percent of his dialogue can be replaced with 'I AM A BIG BOY SUPERHERO! PLEASE BELIEVE ME!' It's essentially a commentary on Bruce Wayne, who runs around insisting he is The Night to try and shield himself from his own losses.

Trouble is, with all really good characters it's very easy to take them at face value. Ali G became a genuine chav icon, and the Pub Landlord's satire of idiots who think they know politics was taken seriously by loads of people. If you're an idiot, you might really believe that never compromising and excessive violence against 'evildoers' and grimdark baby nihilism are good things. So you'll ignore the parts of the story that function as criticisms of those beliefs in favor of the 'badass' parts and the Cool Speeches (tm). And then you'll unironically vote Ron Paul and write 'who is John Galt' in the margins of your eleventh grade chemistry books. Ctrl-Alt-Del author Tim Buckley used a Rorschach avatar and quote on his forums back when they were a thing (and still might!).

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Hbomberguy posted:

Aurini 'studied for a degree' but I've never seen him directly mention having one. He feels like he knows enough to give advice to PhD students tho.

history? because he is retard if he has a history degree. Then again my major is history and all it has done is made me some what jaded about everything.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Lady Naga posted:

My favorite part of this is that he appeals to "those of you out there who have EXPERIENCE with women" as if he's appealing to people who have been to India, or people who have worked as a airline pilot.

I mean, he knows his audience.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Ddraig posted:

The police report from when he beat his girlfriend says that she wouldn't let him wear his special helmet while watching a movie and that's how their fight started. That's everything you need to know about him, even though it raises tons of questions also.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jack Gladney posted:

she wouldn't let him wear his special helmet while watching a movie
What?

He thinks he's a patriarch but his girlfriend tells him what he can and can't wear? Like 'wouldn't let' and not just 'fine, but I think you look like a loving idiot'? And his only recourse is violence? And he has a special movie helmet for this to take place over?

Again, what?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Guavanaut posted:

What?

He thinks he's a patriarch but his girlfriend tells him what he can and can't wear? Like 'wouldn't let' and not just 'fine, but I think you look like a loving idiot'? And his only recourse is violence? And he has a special movie helmet for this to take place over?

Again, what?

Yeah. I think she wouldn't give it to him when the movie started. The newspaper article about his arraignment used to be on the first page of results under a search for his name, but he has become known for other things.

Pinely
Jul 23, 2013
College Slice

Jack Gladney posted:

The police report from when he beat his girlfriend says that she wouldn't let him wear his special helmet while watching a movie and that's how their fight started. That's everything you need to know about him, even though it raises tons of questions also.

Now I really want to know what that helmet is. Was it like a medieval movie and he was wearing a helm? Or Top Gun with a fighter pilot helmet? Or was it a beer helmet? Maybe a medical anti seizure deal?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
i'm gonna put that on my resume

"Hello, yes, my name is Popular Thug Drink. I am a graduate of State University. I have five years experience with c#, two years SQL, am microsoft certified, and i have fifteen years experience with women."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

The Vosgian Beast posted:

My favorite part of this is that he appeals to "those of you out there who have EXPERIENCE with women" as if he's appealing to people who have been to India, or people who have worked as a airline pilot.

I mean, he knows his audience.

true. he seems like the type that beats his gf if she ever disagreed with him.

Jack Gladney posted:

like this. what helmet? does he wear a loving stalheim when ever he has violent sex with her.

• Locked thread