Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Sometimes the bote gods are with you, we loving dominated again, for the third time in a row. I think the Gremyashchy is quite nice, durability of a Kiev, with more concealment, and it's firepower is almost as strong, just needs a captain with turret rotation skill.

DD Pressure is a real thing in matches :pwn:, it's hilarious watching pubbies trip over themselves to run away from your DDs if you buzzsaw through their initial picket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

you can still see his pre-hidden stats here: http://warshipstats.com/na/player/WARBEASTY

what the heck does this guy do to be literally the worst wows player?

Nascent AI.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Anyone have advice on playing the Tirpitz. I get the feeling that it's better up close because of its powerful secondaries and torpedoes, but it always seems like my teammates prefer to play while hugging the edges of the map. Do I sorta need to play like a destroyer and hide near islands or something?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Anyone have advice on playing the Tirpitz. I get the feeling that it's better up close because of its powerful secondaries and torpedoes, but it always seems like my teammates prefer to play while hugging the edges of the map. Do I sorta need to play like a destroyer and hide near islands or something?

Tirpitz is good at middling to short ranges, its armor is penetrated by 16 inch guns though, so be careful how you engage with it. The torps are pretty much just a sucker punch to someone who gets too close, it's not really meant as a primary method of attack, just a way to add more damage.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

Krogort posted:

Yamato hands down.
Montana has squishy armor and poo poo secondaries.
Iowa has been nerfed hard and US superior anti air isn't as usefull as it used to now that carriers are less common and threatening. So the grind isn't better on the US line.

Hey you, I think I love you.

This was my first Yamato game since the game went live.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Hammerstein posted:

Hey you, I think I love you.

This was my first Yamato game since the game went live.

How much did you immediately turn around and spend on repairs and ammo?

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

Tokyo Sexwhale posted:

How much did you immediately turn around and spend on repairs and ammo?

227K :saddowns:

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

IMPROVED TIER X ECONOMY

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.
Just got blessed with two Iowa's on my team. They had no other tier 9 competition, easy steam roll right?

Turns out both of them couldn't kill a single ship, looking at their stats they both almost play BB exclusively, and average 35k and 40k damage respectively with this prize US ship. Keep plugging pubs.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
So just before Christmas I started getting a lot of client crashes:

http://imgur.com/YACnMtC

They're now happening every time I start the client, the instant my port finishes loading. To resolve this, I have tried:

- Uninstalling and reinstalling my video drivers
- Rolling back to a previous video driver version
- Uninstalling and reinstalling WOWS

Does anyone have any other suggestions? The official forums have been, as one might expect, completely unhelpful. There do seem to be others out there getting this error, but not as consistently as I am getting it.

I'm running Windows 10 and have an nVidia GTX 460.

TSBX
Apr 24, 2010
Could be an HDD issue. I would download and run THIS and run a short, then an extended test. Outside of that it might be a good idea to start a thread under House of Tech Support in SHSC.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
After many hard fought battles, many pubbies slain, torpedoes hit and missed, and many a loss pried from the jaws of victory, I've finally made it to my first T10 boat. I mean, I could have gotten it a longass time ago, but :effort:

Now I've just gotta rebuy my Fubuki, sell the Kagero, and replenish my credit stockpile, as its run rather dry after this purchase. Next T10 on the list is between the Des Moines, Gearing, and Yamato.

Edit: One more glamour shot cuz i can

Hazdoc fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Dec 28, 2015

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

Thanks matchmaker, enjoyed ending my night just shy of my Iowa because of poo poo like this.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
Holy poo poo what server are you on?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

cheese posted:

Holy poo poo what server are you on?

NA, I played with him earlier.

And that's more tier 10s than I've seen in my last few tier 9 games.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

jownzy posted:

Just got blessed with two Iowa's on my team. They had no other tier 9 competition, easy steam roll right?

Turns out both of them couldn't kill a single ship, looking at their stats they both almost play BB exclusively, and average 35k and 40k damage respectively with this prize US ship. Keep plugging pubs.

3 pubbie BBS and me steam up the edge of the map around the corner of an island and find half the other team's BBs neatly lined up, showing their broadsides. I fire and take half the health off an Izumo, "Easy pickings !".

And then I look on the mini-map and suddenly find that I'm alone. The rest of the pubs stopped at the edge of the island and started playing peek-a-boo (as if this was WoT) while I had steamed ahead.....:stonk:.....

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Hammerstein posted:

3 pubbie BBS and me steam up the edge of the map around the corner of an island and find half the other team's BBs neatly lined up, showing their broadsides. I fire and take half the health off an Izumo, "Easy pickings !".

And then I look on the mini-map and suddenly find that I'm alone. The rest of the pubs stopped at the edge of the island and started playing peek-a-boo (as if this was WoT) while I had steamed ahead.....:stonk:.....

We had a match where we were three kongos in a match dominated by tier sevens. We said gently caress it, charged forward, and actually won our flank as a result.

The rest of the team didn't and died horribly.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
I wanna give this game another shot, what ship type/country is the most fun for a newb to try out?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

GaussianCopula posted:

I wanna give this game another shot, what ship type/country is the most fun for a newb to try out?

American or Japanese cruisers for tier 2/3/4/5, the American ones are better but both are fun. The only one that doesn't whip around like a terrier on amphetamines is the St Louis, but instead that one has chainsaw guns that piss fire and an armour belt that holds up to same tier battleships.

The destroyers are pretty similar in the terrier on amphetamines department, but because torpedoes are all or nothing, and they are made of glass, they vary between fun and frustration a lot more, especially at low tiers where torpedo ranges are usually shorter than your camo range.

TSBX
Apr 24, 2010

GaussianCopula posted:

Really depends on your personal preference. (It's late and I don't feel like doing all categories for this poo poo right now. Will update later.)

Do you want to:

DD:

• Make enemy BBs and CVs wonder where the gently caress the ninja torps came from? [IJN -- Isokaze/Minekaze\
• Gun down enemy DDs with precise high damage shells and spam torps into chokepoints within 6km?? [US -- Clemson/Nicholas/Farragut]
• Gun down enemy DDs with decent damage and high ROF and be able to push a school of torps at some sucker within 5km? [RUS -- Isyaslav]

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

TSBX posted:

• Gun down enemy DDs with precise high damage shells and spam torps into chokepoints within 6km?? [US -- Clemson/Nicholas/Farragut]

Worth noting that the Nicholas is very not fun, because on top of having torpedoes you basically never get to use because the range is so short, you spend most battles getting absolutely reamed by the million different types of Omaha hull that fill every tier 5 battle. At least the Minekaze has good torpedoes you can fire without being spotted, so you get those fun games where New Mexicos just sail in straight lines.

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

There are five fucks at the edge of a cliff...

If you're a destroyer and the map is fault line, capture point B for some reason or another you'll be in a prime location to strike from anywhere, and thats what happened. lovely gun damage admittedly and most of these kills were actually low health snipes, but it feels good to shine once in a blue moon :v:

Edit: this is with the christmas skin, and the 50% xp flag

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

I feel a little scrubby posting this after the above, but it's warranted.

I wanted to update you on my relationship status with the matchmaker on NA. Things got a little heated last night, and we both said and did things we regretted. This morning we decided to reconcile and had a little make-up sail. Let me tell you, it was quite the sendoff for my final game in the North Carolina.

Rank 1 flags, xp flag.

Nice new shiny Iowa sits in my port now. So more tier 9 elitism talk can be expected when forming divisions.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I have a slight correction: the most fun ship for everyone always is my new Atlanta

UV_Catastrophe
Dec 29, 2008

Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are,

"It might have been."
Pillbug
I just recently returned to this game after a few months, and it seems like the whole ship meta has been turned on its head. People used to play CV/CA all day, everyday. Now it's way more BB/DD heavy. I think it's better than it used to be, but game balance still feels out of wack.

Also, going from the Colorado to the North Carolina has been totally loving me up. After playing through the rest of the US BB line, it really feels like the NC has a glass jaw. I don't think I've ever melted so fast in a battleship before the NC.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

UV_Catastrophe posted:

I just recently returned to this game after a few months, and it seems like the whole ship meta has been turned on its head. People used to play CV/CA all day, everyday. Now it's way more BB/DD heavy. I think it's better than it used to be, but game balance still feels out of wack.

Also, going from the Colorado to the North Carolina has been totally loving me up. After playing through the rest of the US BB line, it really feels like the NC has a glass jaw. I don't think I've ever melted so fast in a battleship before the NC.

Nose in, all day, every day. This is your only hope.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

UV_Catastrophe posted:

The meta is still weird and evolves with seemingly every patch. The best thing they ever did was forcing the matchmaker to give each side the same number of carriers of the same tiers. I may start the Langley tonight just to grab a x3 and plink away at that line when im bored. Tirpitzes seem way tougher to me than NCs right now, so you're not the only one who feels that way.

Just had my first game in the Hatsuharu. Took a guess and nailed a Farragut (good player name shoutout BadassNipples) with a bow shot, clipped a crippled Atlanta with my turrets then dumped three torps in a Tirpitz who died from the flooding. Does anyone not use the second Hatsu hull? Sure you lose 20% firepower, but I think the other bonuses are enough to make up for it.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Yeah, there are going to be many situations in the NC where you have to ignore that rear turret and stay angled. You're only losing 1/3 of your firepower versus 1/2 on the Colorado.

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

There are five fucks at the edge of a cliff...

Holy loving poo poo, why does Hull C cost 4 million credits for the Colorado? :aaaaa:

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
So, I'm coming back after a few months. Anything change meta-wise? And can someone give me a run-down for nazi cruisers and russkie destroyers? Only thing I found so far is that the Derzki is basically useless at anything except being a hilarious suicide bomber. Also, what the gently caress is a Blyskawica?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Magni posted:

So, I'm coming back after a few months. Anything change meta-wise? And can someone give me a run-down for nazi cruisers and russkie destroyers? Only thing I found so far is that the Derzki is basically useless at anything except being a hilarious suicide bomber. Also, what the gently caress is a Blyskawica?

It's Błyskawica. There's a little thing going through the 'ł'

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Magni posted:

the blys is a polish DD, its a boat

Major meta changes are that BBs own the poo poo out of everything, CVs aren't hilariously overpowered at all the tiers now (except 9-10 still but :wargaming:), capping is actually worth it now. HE was nerfed somewhat, and torpedoes just got a buff to their detection radius, making them harder to spot early, though this was only a tiny buff for low tier torps, much larger for high tier torps (where DDs needed it much more badly).

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Most importantly, its another premium ship thats considered overpowered. Its supposedly nearly as shooty as a Kiev, but has far better torpedoes with a useful range.

I know these things change at the drop of a patch, but whats your preferred skill setup for a carrier captain (USN)? Are the tailgunner and dogfighting skills necessary? Are they still useful at later tiers, etc?

Lakedaimon fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Dec 29, 2015

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Cool. I like how you point this out as if it matters, without telling us how to pronounce it or anything.

OSad
Feb 29, 2012
I hear this game has some anime titties on it now. Have they buffed the Izumo at all? What is the current state of HE and cruisers compared to six months ago?

I might jump back just for the titties, honestly.

drizzle
Jul 7, 2004

The world is a fine place and worth the fighting for and I hate very much to leave it.
Is there any trick to fighter combat. It's weird how I lose all my fighters in 12v12 engagements and am only able to shoot down 2 or 3. Is it just a RNG or what.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
In case it ends up being useful to anyone, I was eventually able to fix my EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION issue by:

1) Uninstalling all Visual C++ 2012 Redistributable runtimes.
2) Uninstalling WOWS.
3) Accidentally installing WOWS from worldofwarships.eu, which would only allow me to select the EU server in the dropdown.
4) Uninstalling WOWS again.
5) Installing WOWS from worldofwarships.com.

:iiam:

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Is it jsut me or did they change the T8+ upgade in the same category as the concealment mod? It looks kinda interesting now.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

OSad posted:

I hear this game has some anime titties on it now. Have they buffed the Izumo at all? What is the current state of HE and cruisers compared to six months ago?

I might jump back just for the titties, honestly.

My understanding is the anime boobs thing will be officially unlocked through some kind of event in January. But I think the voice files are already in your game directory so people have found a way to kludge those into the game now somehow.

I think the only buff the Izumo has gotten is that it earns 9% more base exp and 5% more silver than it did before. However, it helps that the Iowa is now not as durable as before (it was bugged), so thats an indirect buff. The Target Acquisition Module (available at Tier 8) now adds +20% to torpedo detection range, so that should help offset the recent buff to torps.

HE is not nearly as brutal as it was a couple months ago. Someone said the damage calculation now takes armor thickness into account, so its harder to smash up a BB unless it is in pristine shape and has all its deck mounted modules ready to be popped. It feels (in my opinion) that you get way more shells hitting a moderately/heavily damaged ship and doing 0 damage than you did before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Magni posted:

Is it jsut me or did they change the T8+ upgade in the same category as the concealment mod? It looks kinda interesting now.

Yes, the Target Acquisition upgrade is now no longer useless.