Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
The correct answer is gently caress Blitzball. Play Blood Bowl instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunatic Crossing
Jan 21, 2007
IMO, the biggest problem with the first blitzball game is that it starts out with the movement on auto, which is useless, and on your first playthrough, you may not notice that there's a manual movement mode.

Second, your starting team is super garbo, which makes the first game serve as a terrible tutorial for the minigame. It's kind of hard to figure out what's going on when your dudes are just getting wrecked the whole time.

TheRealestMatt
Jun 27, 2014

The Boss. The CEO. The J-Cup Lover.
I should make a Bliztball only video, then just cut to cutscenes of FFX where characters talk about Blitzball, since those are way more fun than actually playing.

Defend the rules or stats, or the hours you need to sink into it for it to be fun, but the entire point of mini-games, I think, is to provide a fun, immediate distraction than anyone can pick up and play. So in a world of Triple Triads, Ocarina of Time Fishing, or literally anything in Yakuza...Blitzball does not cut it.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
Blitzball sucks. I want more sports announcers denouncing their humanity and creating generations of weirdos.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I wish there were more exploring and finding weird poo poo in the Xenoblade X video but it's still a good video

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

I like to think this is a video.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

To be fair, why isn't that mixed into a bowl? gently caress eating dips out of jars.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Wiseblood posted:

To be fair, why isn't that mixed into a bowl? gently caress eating dips out of jars.

http://boobs-in-a-bobsled.tumblr.com/post/136081021613/oh-my-god-you-big-babies-stop-sending-me

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

Man, being a parent sucks

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
Blitzball more like Shitzball.

I can say this because I played that drat minigame to the point where the Al Bhed Psyches was filled with Ronsos, Kilika Beasts had all the original Luca Goer...goers, and every game consisted of me scoring a point and then just breaking the AI so that they would never score a point.

Thank god the timer goes 2x fast.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Visidan posted:

Man, being a parent sucks
To be fair, not every baby is as helpless and needy as Pat. Only most special ones.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

ApeHawk posted:

and every game consisted of me scoring a point and then just breaking the AI so that they would never score a point.

That's how anyone who's played more than 3 games of it does things. Immediate Jecht Shot in round 1, hang out in the goal for "10" minutes.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

TheRealestMatt posted:

I should make a Bliztball only video, then just cut to cutscenes of FFX where characters talk about Blitzball, since those are way more fun than actually playing.

Defend the rules or stats, or the hours you need to sink into it for it to be fun, but the entire point of mini-games, I think, is to provide a fun, immediate distraction than anyone can pick up and play. So in a world of Triple Triads, Ocarina of Time Fishing, or literally anything in Yakuza...Blitzball does not cut it.

I dunno, I think there's room in video games for more elaborate 'minigames' like that AND the short and sweet stuff you're talking about. Maybe side games is a better term for things like Blitzball/Chocobo Breeding and Racing/Chocobo Hot&Cold.

That said I'm not a huge fan of BLitzballs because it's super easy to just buy one or two of the best players then run roughshod over the league over and over on computer control. If anything gets to difficult you just reset the league/stats so everyone's back at base level and your guys are still the naturally gifted gods they always could were. Blitzball is a neat idea (Trying to make a FF theme Bloodbowl inside a traditional FF) but it's got wonky execution and that's what holds it back, not the idea that it takes time and effort to get into it.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I dunno, I think there's room in video games for more elaborate 'minigames' like that AND the short and sweet stuff you're talking about. Maybe side games is a better term for things like Blitzball/Chocobo Breeding and Racing/Chocobo Hot&Cold.

That said I'm not a huge fan of BLitzballs because it's super easy to just buy one or two of the best players then run roughshod over the league over and over on computer control. If anything gets to difficult you just reset the league/stats so everyone's back at base level and your guys are still the naturally gifted gods they always could were. Blitzball is a neat idea (Trying to make a FF theme Bloodbowl inside a traditional FF) but it's got wonky execution and that's what holds it back, not the idea that it takes time and effort to get into it.

I think that's the core problem with Blitzball, and I like Blitzball. Not only is it a big 'take a few hours to learn this minigame' thing, but it's a big hour long thing that can be either completely cheesed or totally gently caress you for no real reason, and whenever that happens, even when you win, it's like 'well what's the loving point of all that learning'. It's a dense game that doesn't even reward learning its dense systems.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

It also doesn't help that the tutorial for it isn't even right before the first game. You get the tutorial, then you have to do about a half hour of stuff which is just long enough to forget about everything it tells you.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I am so sorry you had to suffer 47 minutes of Rodea the Sky Soldier, Matt.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The original version actually looked pretty drat fun though, it's a shame no one will be able to buy it now.

Kinda wish I had preordered it, since the only thing I saw until their video was the flaccid 3DS/Wii U version.

Also that is one of the most blatant publisher fuckery I've ever seen, literally everything different is worse.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Rodea is looking super freaking fun so far in the video, I hope it's not too expensive to find it on gamestop later on.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
It's almost impressive how the Wii U version of Rodea looks like a Gamecube game

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFl9Aefdvtg

attn all ghosts: yous a BITCH

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

rated pg-13

Remf
Jun 28, 2008

REALLY NOT FEELIN UP TO IT RIGHT NOW. SORRY.
Lightning just won't stop returning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFmSk0hQx9k

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
God bless, Tetsuya Nomura

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Of course Woolie thinks Kimahri is cool

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

HORNLESSSSS, HORNLESSSSSS

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Baal posted:

Of course Woolie thinks Kimahri is cool

The actual worst FFX opinion, agreed. Blue mages in FF games are always shits tho.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
You could put a huge rock in front of Woolie and as long as it had markings of some sort and braids he would think it was the coolest poo poo ever

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Baal posted:

You could put a huge rock in front of Woolie and as long as it had markings of some sort and braids he would think it was the coolest poo poo ever

lol

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
tbf that would be a hella cool huge rock

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I'm all about dumping on Woolie, but the dynamic of him and Matt kicking Pat while he's down and keeping the video going so he can focus on playing is BASICALLY perfect and I don't ever want a 2 person Soulsborne video again

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It would be cooler than kimahri that's for sure

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Rodyle posted:

I'm all about dumping on Woolie, but the dynamic of him and Matt kicking Pat while he's down and keeping the video going so he can focus on playing is BASICALLY perfect and I don't ever want a 2 person Soulsborne video again

yeah it's really good. wanna hear about yharnam radio all day

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Dias posted:

The actual worst FFX opinion, agreed. Blue mages in FF games are always shits tho.

In FFV they broke the entire game just by grabbing a few abilities here and there. In 7 the Blue Mage Materai got soem abilities you could easily use to decimate the game from when you leave Midgar to about the return of midgar. Quina in 9 is also super fantastic if you take 5 minutes to get a few spells (You can get 6-7 right outside where you first get them and one of those is Mighty Guard.)

Blue mages actually are super rad in most of the games they appear in. It's just they're pretty lovely in 8 and 10 because they're limited to limit breaks so there's no point in ever getting them at all.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

In FFV they broke the entire game just by grabbing a few abilities here and there. In 7 the Blue Mage Materai got soem abilities you could easily use to decimate the game from when you leave Midgar to about the return of midgar. Quina in 9 is also super fantastic if you take 5 minutes to get a few spells (You can get 6-7 right outside where you first get them and one of those is Mighty Guard.)

Blue mages actually are super rad in most of the games they appear in. It's just they're pretty lovely in 8 and 10 because they're limited to limit breaks so there's no point in ever getting them at all.

You misunderstood, they're poo poo characters, the class is actually pretty good.

Human
Jun 9, 2004

REAL HUMAN. SAFE TO APPROACH.

Big (Mighty?) Guard was still really good in X, especially against certain bosses where the elemental immunities were pretty great.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Dias posted:

You misunderstood, they're poo poo characters, the class is actually pretty good.

Quina owns, fuk u

Human posted:

Big (Mighty?) Guard was still really good in X, especially against certain bosses where the elemental immunities were pretty great.

Shame you don't need it because X is easy as piss

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Man, I just watched the Phantom Menace Plinkett Review finally earlier because the internet won't shut up about it, and aside from the creepy rape dungeon gimmick he's got going on when not actually talking about the movie, it's a really entertaining and wholly correct analysis of TPM.

This combined with watching the XenoChronX video, it's made me realize that the SBF really like that review and they've used "What's wrong with your FAAAAAACE" a helluva lot

And it's still funny, especially now that I'm imagining that creepy anime marker girl's face being under that weird star wars mask

edit: :lol: this fuckin' girl, "I've been writing some giant robot fanfiction, let me read it to you..."

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Dec 29, 2015

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Dias posted:

Kimahri is actually pretty cool cause he doesn't give two shits about this religious nonsense he just wants to protect his adopted daught and is the first dude to follow Tidus in and with no hesitation breaks church rules and poo poo to help him. Plus he just loving stabs seymour while he's talking because gently caress wasting time.

Quina is rad as heck and Strago is pretty cool as well. They're kind of the only blue mage characters and that 3/4 who are cool and good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Captain Invictus posted:

Man, I just watched the Phantom Menace Plinkett Review finally earlier because the internet won't shut up about it, and aside from the creepy rape dungeon gimmick he's got going on when not actually talking about the movie, it's a really entertaining and wholly correct analysis of TPM

It pretty much is. Like I don't blame you for holding off because of the gimmick and his voice but yeah I watched all of his PM review and it's really really good.