Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Zoness posted:

Ok but in the interest of trying to understand - which magic hall of famer isnt smug then?

personally? Kai

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Rimusutera posted:

Speaking of Magic Duels, the server is currently unavailable. Yay?

That was my experience trying to play Duels a few months ago. I just couldn't be bothered when the server shits out frequently, when some quests needed you to play multiplayer and good luck getting 4 people to stay connected, and sometimes quests would just break and never get completed and I cannot be bothered to message your support to get this poo poo resolved I'm going back to Shandalar.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So Magic Duels is better the Magic Online?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Turtlicious posted:

So Magic Duels is better the Magic Online?

Yes.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Turtlicious posted:

So X is better the Magic Online?

Yes.

Basically anything you replace X with would still make the answer Yes.

Even Shandalar, a game from the annals of history, when dragons roamed the sea and fire was uphill, is better than Magic Online. Better supported too, with all the mods.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Hellsau posted:

That was my experience trying to play Duels a few months ago. I just couldn't be bothered when the server shits out frequently, when some quests needed you to play multiplayer and good luck getting 4 people to stay connected, and sometimes quests would just break and never get completed and I cannot be bothered to message your support to get this poo poo resolved I'm going back to Shandalar.

You're vastly overstating how bad things are unless you were somehow uniquely unlucky. (Or played on iOS, which for some people was straight up offline for multiple months)

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Rinkles posted:

You're vastly overstating how bad things are unless you were somehow uniquely unlucky. (Or played on iOS, which for some people was straight up offline for multiple months)

I don't think "played on iOS" is so unusual?? "You drank Coca-Cola? Unlikely you invented the recipe, don't see how you'd have had one unless you bought it at the store."

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

rabidsquid posted:

I don't think "played on iOS" is so unusual?? "You drank Coca-Cola? Unlikely you invented the recipe, don't see how you'd have had one unless you bought it at the store."

iOS was completely broken, not in the way they described.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Then there's the PS4 version that was supposed to come out not too long after the other versions, that was quietly removed from their website.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

hi guys would you like to see what twoo has been up to, because apparently it's videos like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=965sM3YoTsI

better watch out for that hair industry!!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Elyv posted:

hi guys would you like to see what twoo has been up to, because apparently it's videos like this

Did he actually unironically say "wake up sheeple" without actually using that phrase? Good god.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I actually love everything about this.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRBH3ZMj8qA

In this video it appears that he's wearing fingerless gloves, a short sleeve shirt under a sweatshirt with the sleeves rolled up, a really large scarf, and basketball shorts.

GottaPayDaTrollToll
Dec 3, 2009

by Lowtax

Elyv posted:

Even better, he's got a book on deckbuilding out, complete with MS Paint charts!

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

White is never in surplus or shortage. There is always an exact balance of supply of it around.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Ramos posted:

White is never in surplus or shortage. There is always an exact balance of supply of it around.

it's travis "an actual neo-nazi" woo. To him, you can never have too much white.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

He clearly drew it in white.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Just once I wish I could get as high as Travis Woo seems to be all the time.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Mezzanon posted:

Just once I wish I could get as high as Travis Woo seems to be all the time.

Then you'll walk backwards up stairs in home-made ninja tabi and say maybe Hitler had good ideas.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Then you'll walk backwards up stairs in home-made ninja tabi and say maybe Hitler had good ideas.

Yeah I wanna get that high just once, just to see what it's like.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Mezzanon posted:

Yeah I wanna get that high just once, just to see what it's like.

AFAIK it feels like getting fired from CFB.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I thought 14 was the best because modding? And I should play the online game where you buy cards (Magic Duels?) Or the single player offline (Duels of the Planeswalkers?) To actually learn and understand the game?

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

MTGO, AKA Magic Online, is the one you need to buy cards for. It's only for experienced players and is ridiculously old.

Magic Duels is the free one where you can buy cards if you want, or you can just do daily quests to get more gold for more booster packs in game. It's a free to play model but has an extensive and very useful tutorial.

And you're not going to get a true "best one" because that's how Magic goons roll. If you want free, go grab Magic Duels off of Steam and see how it does for you. There's a bunch of campaign and randomly generated AI matches to play against to get yourself familiar regardless.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

The Real Foogla posted:

personally? Kai

I remember reading an exerpt from a Jeff Cunningham article about how Ben Rubin (when the latter was still relatively unknown) refused an ID with Kai when they would both T8 and it quoted Kai as being incredulous at that.

I mean, that's basically commonplace but I think that's the most "unhumble" anecdote about Kai I've heard. I'm sure people who aren't fans of him have worse since magic pros are, realistically, still people, etc.

anglachel
May 28, 2012
Hmm so Tunnel Ignus as sideboard tech against Amulet Bloom. Thoughts?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Might be OK for burn vs bloom but seems very narrow. Also sometimes they can land the combo before you can play it.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

anglachel posted:

super narrow for a matchup that might come down to them just casting a hive mind. i think you just want destructive revelry

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

anglachel posted:

All Tunnel Ignus has done is trick people into playing it.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
:thurman: Cheon Touchdown Unbelievable :thurman:

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I
Anyone have that pic Cheon showed of Nathan Holiday somehow storming for 30 goblins turn 2?

anglachel
May 28, 2012

AgentSythe posted:

super narrow for a matchup that might come down to them just casting a hive mind. i think you just want destructive revelry

Already run 4 in the sideboard. Seems like it would be good against Scapeshift too though (though Scapeshift will usually have more answers to just get rid of it)

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Ahaha this is great, Conley's opponent attacks with Jace into an untapped leaf gilder to play wingmate roc with raid

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
When a creature deals damage in the form of -1/-1 counters for poison, is that 1 -1/-1 per power on the creatures (Phyrexian Juggernaut deals -5/-5) or what ever damage it does, it's now doing -1/-1?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Turtlicious posted:

When a creature deals damage in the form of -1/-1 counters for poison, is that 1 -1/-1 per power on the creatures (Phyrexian Juggernaut deals -5/-5) or what ever damage it does, it's now doing -1/-1?

Are you asking about Infect?

It does damage equal to its power (for stuff like lifegain and stuff), but that damage is dealt in the form of -1/-1 counters (for creatures) or poison counters (for players).

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
When infect and wither creatures/sources deal damage to creatures, they put a number of -1/-1 counters on the damaged creature equal to the damage done. So the phyrexian juggernaut puts 5 -1/-1 counters on the blocking creature (for a total of -5/-5, but it's important because -1/-1 and +1/+1 counters cancel out).

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That sounds rad as hell! You can also put infect on anything with instants and the like right?

Would a Red Black Infect deck work? What's the way to share decks / collections to get advice? I have the Decked Builder and I have all my cards uploaded onto a data base, but I'm not sure what I want to add to my Eldrazi deck. I may just make a new one based around infect.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Turtlicious posted:

That sounds rad as hell! You can also put infect on anything with instants and the like right?

Would a Red Black Infect deck work? What's the way to share decks / collections to get advice? I have the Decked Builder and I have all my cards uploaded onto a data base, but I'm not sure what I want to add to my Eldrazi deck. I may just make a new one based around infect.

Modern Infect is a pretty popular deck. Usually they play really cheap creatures with infect, and then just dump their hand to make them enormous to win the game instantly in a turn.

E; i think its usually Green and black

Bread Set Jettison fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Dec 28, 2015

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Green/Blue. Blue is for Blighted Agent and some filtering/defense.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Yup that makes more sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
It needs to be green for all the giant growth effects, since they let you pay for infect damage without the premium that goes along with infect cards. Suddenly +3/+3 or +4/+4 becomes +6/+6 or +8/+8.

It also gives you the best infect creature in glistener elf.

• Locked thread