Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
i want a longhorn so bad, if only you could get them in long scale

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...

AlphaDog posted:

I still wish that exact bass was my favorite to play because it's sure as gently caress my favorite to look at.

Apart from maybe those old Rickenbackers.

It's absolutely gorgeous.

Also it isn't actually that heavy. My old cheapo RG is heavier.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

Jeremy_X posted:

I was taught to spider walk, that's what my teacher called it. Start by playing the first four notes on your lowest string (closest to your face) one finger per fret and don't let up so at the end all four fingers are pressing down on the string, once you play those, move down to the next string, then reverse it completely meaning your pinkie goes first on whatever your last sting is. Once you've got that down the next step is to start the same way but shift your index finger down one fret each string change until you reach your last string then reverse it, like you're walking up and down stairs. Remember to move your starting position around so that you're not always starting in the same spot. Also don't over do it or you'll wreck your wrist even with proper position and make sure your action is comfortable I spent my first year playing with my action way to loving high because I couldn't afford a setup and didn't have the internet to teach me how to actually set up my bass.

I am absolutely incapable of getting my pinkie up there on the E string if I do one finger per fret :(

starting to think my hand is not built for this, but I won't give up yet!

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

organburner posted:

I am absolutely incapable of getting my pinkie up there on the E string if I do one finger per fret :(

starting to think my hand is not built for this, but I won't give up yet!

Where do you put your thumb on the neck when you're doing this?

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

The only way I can even approach getting this if I go real high on the E string is by kinda having it along the neck, like I'm giving a thumbs up.

I should probably go check out some hand positions.

Actually if I do like a thing where I kind wrap my thumb around the neck that also kinda works on the higher notes on the E-string

EDIT: Okay I might be able to do this now, just need to get more strength in my fingers so I can press down with more force so it doesn't sound like absolute poo poo.

organburner fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Dec 17, 2015

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Of the two first pictures, what are you talking about?

http://www.tempomusicards.com/articles/top-5-bad-habits-to-avoid-when-learning-guitar/

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

The wrong one apparently, back to experimenting!

EDIT: This is uncomfortable as gently caress but it is already sounding better!

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Thought so. Now, while that hand position is not the one you should be learning with, know that it's not completely bad to do sometimes. It's useful in muting the low e string while playing but on bass those times are few in far between. So for now, put your bass on your left leg and put your thumb in the middle of the neck while you build up strength in your hands. Use that pinky!

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Yeah there are all sorts of times it's useful to do a bad form thing but you should learn the good form first.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

Thanks, I think I can finally get this thing down now.

Jeremy_X
Jul 27, 2006

organburner posted:

Thanks, I think I can finally get this thing down now.

Glad they got you moving in the right direction and that I could help. Remember to stretch! That goes for everyone, protect those wrists people.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

Shugojin posted:

Yeah there are all sorts of times it's useful to do a bad form thing but you should learn the good form first.

In a more generalized way, you have to know the rules back and front in order to know when to break them.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Jeremy_X posted:

Glad they got you moving in the right direction and that I could help. Remember to stretch! That goes for everyone, protect those wrists people.

What are some good stretches for the wrist, specifically for bass playing?

Jeremy_X
Jul 27, 2006

Shageletic posted:

What are some good stretches for the wrist, specifically for bass playing?

The stretches I learned were taught to me by my father after he developed carpal tunnel syndrome so these aren't necessarily bass specific. I put my palms together then press the left hand back with the right like I'm trying to fold my hand backwards, repeat the other direction. Then I roll my hands around sort of like propellers a few times clockwise, then a few times counterclockwise. Last stretch I do, and I have no idea if this one actually has any merit but my hands feel better when I do this, I make fists then open them forcing the fingers to spread as much as they can. You need to do these gently you're just trying to limber up. I've seen a few people place their finger tips on the edges of tables and push forward. I never really felt any stretch doing that but you might.

Proper playing position and stretching will help avoid repetitive strain injuries and carpal tunnel syndrome.

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.
Do you guys use hand/finger exerciser devices? I thought I read they were worthless re: bass/guitar playing, but I saw somewhere mentioning them again so I figured I'd ask here.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
My hands are hosed up with arthritis so I have to do stretches, finger massage with anti inflammatory gel, and use a stress ball to maintain hand strength.

If you've got no problems then just some gentle stretching is good as a preventative.

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.
I want my lovely weak left hand to strengthen up.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

EvilChameleon posted:

Do you guys use hand/finger exerciser devices? I thought I read they were worthless re: bass/guitar playing, but I saw somewhere mentioning them again so I figured I'd ask here.

I used to use one of these (don't remember the tension strength) and just played with it while watching movies. It's not the single source of getting better but it helps a decent bit with fatigue while playing. Just make sure to press down with your fingertips like how you would on a guitar or bass.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

I got my first bass for Christmas!

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Philip Rivers posted:

and?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

What do you mean, "and?"?

There's not much else that the OP could add that would make this momentous event sound any more cool than it is.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Philip Rivers posted:

Right on!

I got mine a couple of weeks ago, but got an Amazon gift card for Christmas and just bought an amp with it.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

tarlibone posted:

What do you mean, "and?"?

There's not much else that the OP could add that would make this momentous event sound any more cool than it is.

I dunno, maybe like a "Oh cool, what kinda stuff are you going to start learning?" would have been better from me but a blank statement of "I HAVE THING" is kinda closed ended for conversation.

So for example, I bought a bass with my christmas bonus and have been having a blast with it. I used to play bass a lot a long time ago but sold my old one to my friend so it's been almost 5 years since I last owned one. I would always be switching from baritone tuning (b standard) to E standard so I thought a five string would be useful, no matter how dorky it looks, so I can play with baritone tuned guitars and stuff in standard tuning. I went to guitar center and started playing a squier vintage modified jazz 5 and had a ton of fun with it playing some old iron maiden songs I remembered and just riffing around with chords, so that's the one I picked up (in the natural finish, I also love maple fretboards). The low B is kinda flubby feeling so I picked up some of the steel strings I would use when in baritone tuning to see if that would help. The bass is already set up pretty decently but I'll probably tweak some stuff once I get those strings on it. The stock pickups are decent but I'll likely be changing them out, same with the bridge. Anyone have any recommendations for high mass bridges that go on fender five strings? I'm mainly going to be using the bass for home recording so I didn't get an amp as I use modelling software through a DAW on my computer so I can kinda make up for the tepid output of the pickups by modelling some fancy amps. Maybe one day I'll get a cheapy amp and a decent pre-amp pedal so I can play with other people again but that can wait.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

What about a SansAmp Bass driver? I'm thinking of exactly that for my off-again on-again playing. I've neglected my bass alot in the last year or so and going back to it after months on my Jackson Dinky makes me feel like I'm playing on bridge cables. Blood and Thunder by Mastodon was my white-whale for guitar for a while, so I guess now it will be so for bass - fast chugging on the open E and then licks inbetween chugs. I'm hedging my bets as a musician in the hope that bassists are more desirable than lead guitarists in my area; thus far ANY kind of musical interaction other than an occasional jam with friends has been completely missing :(

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
The SansAmp Bass Driver is pretty much the gold standard of DI boxes for bass. I like to think of it kind-of like the DI version of the Precision Bass: it's got a tone that's really good but nothing terribly special, and its greatest asset is that the really good tone it gives you fits in well with drat near any style of music. You can get a pretty good variety of tones out of it with relative ease. You pretty much can't go wrong with this box. When I was gigging in the St. Louis area, almost every small venue DI'ed me with one of these boxes if they didn't want to trust my amp's XLR output, and the results were pretty good.

I've never used one as an effect just for the tone, though, because I have an amp that has a great sound.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Honestly this thing looks pretty sick:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SCR-DI

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

For the same reason I picked up a head and cab for my guitar (even though I've yet to gig) is the same reason I think I'd want to bring along SOMETHING to make noise with - surely as a newbie to it all you can't just assume everywhere you go will have a backline or PA?

God I have something of a horror story: my stepfather was into bass as a kid and so boought a Jedson SG copy back in the 70's and a WEM 15" Bass Dominator: pretty respectable for a bluesy jazzer. Unfortunately, he got back into it and got talked into buying another bass before he spoke to me - he's into jazz and folk and what did he buy?

A US-built Dean Z with EMGs, brand new from a local shop at 125% RRP. And a Roland Bass Cube practise amp. And he turns off the mid and treble on said amp. And he has never changed the strings. And the action is about 1/2" at the 12th fret. Now he wants me to sell it for him so he can get something more appropriate for him, but I feel like I'm talking to a brick wall when I say 'you should change your strings every six months or so' and he says 'oh yes but I'm not a session musician', or 'The EQ is already in the bass octave so you ideally want some of the mid/highs because it's relative' and he says 'I don't like the scraping sound my fingers make on the strings'.

It just doesn't make any sense and hurts my brain.

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Dec 28, 2015

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Hey Bass Thread how's it going? While I was moving I pulled my dad's old Mustang out of the closet and decided to finally start messing around with it, put new strings on and borrowed an amp. I got a babby's first guitar book of Amazon and am getting started with basic exercises (that spider one where you move each finger to each string one fret apart). HOWEVER I don't actually want to learn the guitar, I want to play bass. I've been taking drum lessons for a few years and I've always been more interested in the rhythm section in general, plus I don't have full range of motion in my left hand from an old school injury which I'm afraid would eventually interfere with the (usually) more active and chord-happy melodic play of guitars.

So my question is, for a total guitar newbie is there enough overlap between guitar and bass that it would still be worth it to go through a beginner's guitar book, or since I want to move over to bass anyway just pick up some starter gear and proceed directly to the low end?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Southern Heel posted:

...he says 'I don't like the scraping sound my fingers make on the strings'

I don't like this either. How do I stop doing it?

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

AlphaDog posted:

Trim yr nails

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

My nails are cut as short as they possibly can be three times a week before BJJ classes. Incidentally, BJJ has strengthened my fingers to the point where it's nearly impossible to fatigue them playing bass.

I might have misunderstood the original thing, but it's fret-hand noise from changing position that I can't seem to stop. Do I just need to practice completely lifting my fingers until I'm fast at it?

Takes No Damage posted:

I don't actually want to learn the guitar, I want to play bass.

...or since I want to move over to bass anyway just pick up some starter gear and proceed directly to the low end?

I'm a barely adequate bassist, but this seems like a no-brainer to me. Some guitar stuff transfers over, but if you're a beginner at both and actually want to play bass, get a bass and play it. I found bass much more fun, and I haven't regretted not improving my guitar skills except sometimes when I'm camping, drunk, and someone's brought a guitar.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Dec 29, 2015

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Takes No Damage posted:

So my question is, for a total guitar newbie is there enough overlap between guitar and bass that it would still be worth it to go through a beginner's guitar book, or since I want to move over to bass anyway just pick up some starter gear and proceed directly to the low end?

http://www.studybass.com/

The site layout is kinda horrendous now but click the Lessons button in the top right and you'll get to them. They're not really the same instrument, but that will get you started on the theory and role of the bass, and you can use the guitar to try that out (just ignore the two thinnest strings). You can do the fretboard learnin' exercises too

But if you want to play bass, get a bass. It's a big, physical instrument and takes a different approach and different muscles, and learning guitar will only get you so far. There are definitely transferable skills, so you're not wasting your time or anything, but in the end you gotta make the jump. Go pick one up in a store and feel the magic

AlphaDog posted:

My nails are cut as short as they possibly can be three times a week before BJJ classes. Incidentally, BJJ has strengthened my fingers to the point where it's nearly impossible to fatigue them playing bass.

I might have misunderstood the original thing, but it's fret-hand noise from changing position that I can't seem to stop. Do I just need to practice completely lifting my fingers until I'm fast at it?

Are you dragging your fingers along the strings when you change position? With bass it's especially important to mute strings when they're not meant to be sounding, so maybe you need to get your picking hand in there and make a conscious effort to lift your fingers up. The type of strings you have makes a difference too obviously

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Dec 29, 2015

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

I like this site because it's easy to read even with ADHD.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

AlphaDog posted:

Lift your fingers more when changing positions. Or flatwounds.

Unrelated, a new set of strings sounds amazing. I have no idea why people never change bass strings. Steel strings are also awesome, it cured the flabby sounding B string.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
It's because of Jamerson and that story of him making the dude fish the old strings out of the dumpster.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

AlphaDog posted:

The answer is always flatwounds

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Except when it's tapewounds.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Flats/Tapes, tone knob all the way down, welcome.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Steel strings, every knob all the way up, frowny face eq. No fucks given

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Kilometers Davis posted:

Flats/Tapes, tone knob all the way down, welcome.