Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

Mu. posted:

This is Monom Gulnasnish. He is never the slightest bit cheerful about anything, and he is conflicted by this as he values parties and merrymaking in the abstract.

Well god drat, I'd suggest a drink but apparently he's annoyed by inebriation!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I feel bad for that poor dwarf.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
Noted UX idiot Tarn Adams decided that I want the ability to declare the number of cheese pieces or crossbow bolts I want to trade for. Which means I need to add another key press for every one of those.

Also, it's really quite lovely that he's set it so regular dwarves have the rage virus for were-creatures and attack them as quickly as they can. Normally these dwarves are so scared at the sight of a cave crocodile eight levels down that they can't even use the stairs, but when a werekoala shows up every one of them throws themselves at it so that you're constantly dealing with a half-dozen infected dwarves.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Now that they're constantly boozed up, nobody in my fort seems to give a second thought to fistfighting any wildlife that wanders by.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Sober fortresses might've just become a new challenge type. Just make an "alcohol" without inebriation effects. Like fruit juice or something.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
You appear to be describing elves

the pole or the dole
May 21, 2009
Got a Goblin siege led by a headless dwarf.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

TildeATH posted:

Noted UX idiot Tarn Adams decided that I want the ability to declare the number of cheese pieces or crossbow bolts I want to trade for. Which means I need to add another key press for every one of those.

Also, it's really quite lovely that he's set it so regular dwarves have the rage virus for were-creatures and attack them as quickly as they can. Normally these dwarves are so scared at the sight of a cave crocodile eight levels down that they can't even use the stairs, but when a werekoala shows up every one of them throws themselves at it so that you're constantly dealing with a half-dozen infected dwarves.

Didn't someone add in a functionality to hit shift-enter and have it mark Trade and move down a row, even if it was a cheese/bolt stack? I know Masterwork had it but I don't know if it was specific to MWDF or if it was a DFHack thing.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Mad Pills posted:

Got a Goblin siege led by a headless dwarf.

Did he immediately suffocate?

the pole or the dole
May 21, 2009

Tarezax posted:

Did he immediately suffocate?

I don't know, I unpaused and his hat and crossbow was lying where he was standing, but his corpse was nowhere to be seen.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Prop Wash posted:

Didn't someone add in a functionality to hit shift-enter and have it mark Trade and move down a row, even if it was a cheese/bolt stack? I know Masterwork had it but I don't know if it was specific to MWDF or if it was a DFHack thing.

DFHack's got it.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Mad Pills posted:

I don't know, I unpaused and his hat and crossbow was lying where he was standing, but his corpse was nowhere to be seen.

Oh I guess he just collapsed into himself and out of existence. Makes sense :shepface:

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Moridin920 posted:

DFHack's got it.

Thanks! I was playing 42.01 right after it came out and really missing the lack of functionality on the trade screen. Glad to know it'll be back soon, along with spawning magma sources, the confiscate/clean commands, and the always-popular exterminate elf command.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Demiurge4 posted:

You always have easy access to magma. Most of the time a straight stairway to the magma layer is actually shorter than the trip from the dining room to a dwarfs bedroom. People tend to forget that because it takes a lot of clicking < to get there, but that's why the game has shortcuts. I usually set 1 for surface entrance, 2 for dining rooms, 3 for crafting rooms, 4 for kitchens and 5 for the magma forges. It's super easy to skip around your fort with those shortcuts and helps you move a little away from super compact forts.

How do you set shortcuts?

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Met posted:

How do you set shortcuts?

under the H menu

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

:frog: posted:

A zombie nerf has arrived. The animated critters no longer block, dodge, parry, wrestle or sprint, and they do charging attacks whenever possible. Zombies no longer receive positive defense adjustments for body part types, and they don't seek or prevent combat opportunities. Their strength bonus has been reduced. Severing all non-smashed heads on a zombie kills it (smashing already worked), and severing or smashing any working grasp on a headless zombie kills it. Zombies can still be reanimated if they have a working grasp. So it's a bit confusing there with the overall grasp situation on headless zombies (it's better to target their arms than their bodies if you can't smash them entirely), and they still have some undue benefits they share with wild animals (you should be able to strike or stop many unarmed attacks with weapons), but it is much better than it was. I still sometimes get those invincible unsmashable zombie heads. I'll try to figure that out.

In an arena test, my competent sword+shield human was able to defeat ten zombies at once, receiving only minor injuries. It took some judicious selections, and some dodging to other squares, but it isn't hard if you stay away from multiple opponents. I also set six sword humans against twenty zombies, and they won without any losing anybody. On the other hand, I set ten unarmed unskilled humans against ten zombies, and the zombies won without losses. That sounds about right to me -- the zombies have many advantages in unarmed combat. So you'll have to keep your squishy civilians safe. Incidentally, one unarmed unskilled elephant person was able to kill ten human zombies without any trouble, since they have smashing power. Then an elephant person zombie was able to kill the elephant person...

I fixed sparring as well. The cautiousness personality check got flipped around with the new facets, which wouldn't normally be a problem (just a strike frequency shift), but the new drunken dwarves were 100 percent not-cautious (which made them all 100 percent cautious in the flipped check). The roll failed every time for them, so drunken sparring partners just sat there without throwing shots. That's normally reserved for super rare pathologically deliberate dwarves absolutely on one end of the curve, and that's not even much of an issue if their partner isn't the same way.

Bring on the zombie hordes!

reading
Jul 27, 2013

Toady posted:

I fixed sparring as well. The cautiousness personality check got flipped around with the new facets, which wouldn't normally be a problem (just a strike frequency shift), but the new drunken dwarves were 100 percent not-cautious (which made them all 100 percent cautious in the flipped check). The roll failed every time for them, so drunken sparring partners just sat there without throwing shots. That's normally reserved for super rare pathologically deliberate dwarves absolutely on one end of the curve, and that's not even much of an issue if their partner isn't the same way.

What the hell does any of that mean? :???:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

reading posted:

Drunken dwarves are supposed to say 'hold my beer and watch this'
Instead they just sat around holding their beers.

Legin Noslen
Sep 9, 2004
Fortified with Rhiboflavin

reading posted:

Drunk dwarfs were being too chicken to throw blows while sparring, which was the opposite of what he wanted to happen. Such a thing should only be reserved for the most cowardly of dwarfs, but this would only be an issue if two cowards were fighting each-other.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

Alehkhs posted:

Bring on the zombie hordes!

This all sounds rad but I don't really get the changes to headless zombies. So if you have an intact zombie without a head and you cut off a hand or whatever, they'll drop dead?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Legin Noslen posted:

Drunk dwarfs were being too chicken to throw blows while sparring, which was the opposite of what he wanted to happen. Such a thing should only be reserved for the most cowardly of dwarfs, but this would only be an issue if two cowards were fighting each-other.

I like that this means regular dwarves will gladly beat the poo poo out of a cowardly dwarf that's too afraid to even throw a punch while sparring.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

SirPenguin posted:

This all sounds rad but I don't really get the changes to headless zombies. So if you have an intact zombie without a head and you cut off a hand or whatever, they'll drop dead?

Yeah basically the way toady reasoned was as follows:

Unreasonable Zombies:
* Zombie Leg
* Zombie Spleen
* Zombie Liver

Reasonable zombies:
* Intact Corpse
* Headless Horseman
* Morte The Skull
* The Disembodied Hand That Strangled People

So he basically said 'hey, to be raised as a zombie, the target corpse needs at least one of these:
A) A brain
B) A grasper, like a hand or something.

He's now added the rule
"If it had a brain, cutting the head off will kill the zombie. If it didn't have a brain, cutting off the grasper will do it."

So if you cut the head off an undead body, you'll end up with a dead headless body and a dead head. But a necromancer could still say 'ARISE!' and get a zombie head and a headless zombie.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
I checked out legends mode today and found multiple corpses which were revived as zombies and subsequently married other zombies. Also, the updates to vampires means that the human civilization I've been dealing with randomly accepted that their vampire law-giver was actually someone else (she convinced them all that she was actually whatever her pseudonym is now) and totes not a vampire at all, guys! My legends have a disproportionate (somewhere around 70%) number of notable warrior women of various species, many of whom were cursed by the gods for blasphemies. The dragon that beaned itself on a stone-fall trap at my fort was actually quite accomplished -- he was the very first of his kind and had murdered the hell out of the world before he met his end at Swordold.

Retiring and immediately unretiring meant that all of the mercenaries, performers, and scholars who had hired on but not become citizens left; most of the books in my fort also disappeared. A number of artifacts still show up in my fort's stocks, but I can't locate them in the fort and can't construct them (for constructable items such as thrones, etc.) or assign them (for weapons and the like in the military equip screen). No guests at the fort showed up hostile, though, so Toady really did resolve that issue.

reading
Jul 27, 2013
I asked this before but what are my dwarves, who have no skill at all as readers (i.e. they are illiterate right?) doing in the library reading my scrolls and books? Are they eventually going to gain Novice Reader skill?

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
I'm pretty sure they won't get the skill and technically they're illiterate but I guess Toady thought it would be more fun if the dwarves did things with the libraries instead of doing nothing with the libraries and I can't disagree.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Maybe they're looking at the pictures.

Cat Planet
Jun 26, 2010

:420: :catdrugs: :420:
I'm playing the stable LNP version and I have an issue - my woodcutters won't cut trees. They have the axes equipped and are not in a burrow. They just go up to the tree and stand nearby (one did manage to chop down a small one). The status screen shows that they are on the "Fell tree" assignment. They used to do it, but then I started getting message spam ("unable to find path" or something). I don't know what caused this to happen. I've already tried all the options - saving and reloading, trying with autolabor on and with it off, same with autochop. Any ideas how to remedy this?

E: Ok, it turns out that somehow I assigned a tree to be chopped down and that tree was inside a wall deep underground. Weird.

Cat Planet fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Dec 28, 2015

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

TOOT BOOT posted:

Maybe they're looking at the pictures.

It would be pretty interesting to see the dwarven "written" language as a series of pictures instead of normal writing. Since dwarves engrave with paintings alone...

But you know, that's just sperging. Not like I have loads of points to put into some reading at embark anyway.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
Im getting confused. The newest version, I think, is v0.42.03, right? This is the one with cool taverns and such? But when I look up the 'current' LNP, it's all v0.40.24. Do I have to track down .42 and try to mess around with it without cool stuff like therapist if I want to try it?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

The Dregs posted:

Im getting confused. The newest version, I think, is v0.42.03, right? This is the one with cool taverns and such? But when I look up the 'current' LNP, it's all v0.40.24. Do I have to track down .42 and try to mess around with it without cool stuff like therapist if I want to try it?

Yes.

All of those convenience things are hacks, that have to be re-made whenever Tarn releases a new version, and it's a huge chunk of work and analysis for major versions.

Also, it's not much "tracking down", just go to http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/ and hit Download.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

The Dregs posted:

I hadn't updated the big huge banner in the OP yet. Sorry about the confusion.

scamtank fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Dec 28, 2015

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
If you want the latest version of the starter pack with what tools have been updated you can find it here. It's for version 0.42.03 , it hasn't updated for 0.42.04 yet. .Be warned, it may cause more crashing and stuff if you use dfhack. However, Therapist is working fine with it and I haven't run into any issues using it.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
As far as I can tell the alpha/test of DFHack for .42.03 works just fine. I haven't tried to use workflow or the siege stuff but everything else I've done so far (liquids, exterminate, probe, reveal, DFusion, clean, a few others) works fine with no crashes or save game corruption.

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

With these changes to zombies, I might actually consider playing in an evil region for once. The idea of raising a small army of well-equipped Dwarves against a massive zombie horde sounds awesome! :black101:

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Never mind tower intrusions. Lag ebola aside, cleaving your way through a hundred meat bags is going to be something to watch.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

VerdantSquire posted:

With these changes to zombies, I might actually consider playing in an evil region for once. The idea of raising a small army of well-equipped Dwarves against a massive zombie horde sounds awesome! :black101:

I just decided to embark away from a Tower this time since it was impossible to deal with. gently caress.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
Can I get some help? I caught a troglodyte in a cage trap, but I can't assign him to any built cages or chains.

Also, my dwarves are happy to haul dead kea, yaks, elk, and the like to my corpse stockpile, but they never get butchered. I've got two soldiers rotting in the pile despite twenty unclaimed coffins ready to take citizens.

Cat Planet
Jun 26, 2010

Is playing with DFhack autolabor on a bad thing that will teach me bad habits? I'm new to DF and I usually like the challenge, but I find spending two hours clicking on squares tedious. I only turn it off when I need something done now in order to give my dwarves the requred profession for the time being. How bad is it at optimizing your fortress compared to manual management?

Also, are there enough material colors in DF to build the rainbow? I want to build a psychedelic hippie castle :catdrugs:

Is magma forging worth it if I have tons of fuel? And if it is, what are the precautions for doing the magma pump stack thing?

Oh, and what can I do to reduce stress on a particular dwarf aside from giving them a pimped out room covered with aluminum statues? My mayor seems to be acting up. Thanks in advance :v:

Cat Planet fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Dec 28, 2015

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

So Math posted:

Can I get some help? I caught a troglodyte in a cage trap, but I can't assign him to any built cages or chains.

Also, my dwarves are happy to haul dead kea, yaks, elk, and the like to my corpse stockpile, but they never get butchered. I've got two soldiers rotting in the pile despite twenty unclaimed coffins ready to take citizens.

If you're on the new version it's because something is bugged and no sapient creature can get assigned to your cages or chains. You won't be able to do it with any gobbos or trolls you capture as invaders, either, and so on. The only thing you can do right now is manually build that cage the troglodyte is in but you can't pit it or assign it to a cage/chain.

Make sure the coffins are actually marked as ready for burial, otherwise I dunno. Sometimes a dwarf will haul a corpse to the stockpile and it will take a little while before another dwarf gets the job to carry it to the coffin but it shouldn't take too long...

Not everything that gets killed will get butchered. I want to say something is butcherable only about half the time the military kills it or a random civilian kills it - the only guarantee that something will get butchered is if a hunter kills it and hauls the corpse back.

Cat Planet posted:

Is playing with DFhack autolabor on a bad thing that will teach me bad habits? I'm new to DF and I usually like the challenge, but I find spending two hours clicking on squares tedious. I only turn it off when I need something done now in order to give my dwarves the requred profession for the time being. How bad is it at optimizing your fortress compared to manual management?

I don't think it's bad but if you can get it to work properly then kudos. For whatever reason it works fine for a bit and then inexplicably decides I need 0 miners and turns off all the miner labors even if I specifically do 'minimum X miners' in the command line. It requires a bit of set up but if you're willing to do it then it's probably just as good if not better than manual management. I don't really bother with super detailed manual management anyway though - I don't use Therapist and the only time I really care about if a dwarf would be suitable for the job or not emotions/personality wise is if I am drafting them.

quote:

Also, are there enough material colors in DF to build the rainbow? I want to build a psychedelic hippie castle :catdrugs:

I believe so... you might need a tileset though.

quote:

Is magma forging worth it if I have tons of fuel? And if it is, what are the precautions for doing the magma pump stack thing?

Eh, probably not. The pain with fuel is you have to constantly go back and say 'make charcoal' or 'make coal' but if you have workflow and autochop on then that's basically 100% automated for you. I still like to use magma because it is more dwarf-y though but there is no inherent advantage to it afaik.

As far as the magma pump stack goes, make sure everything in the pumps is magma proof (forging iron pipe sections and corkscrews is easiest, use magma safe materials or forge iron blocks for the casing/body of the machine). Make sure there is a lever hooked up somewhere else (use iron or magma-safe rock mechanisms in the bits that will be near magma) that you can use to emergency halt the whole thing in case magma starts spilling places where it shouldn't.

Magma is not pressurized like water is though so there's a little less worry there. You don't need to make it go diagonal or whatever, it won't rise past the z-level that it enters on (ie a big reservoir of magma that feeds into a shallow trench won't overflow due to pressure like water would).

Oh, and what can I do to reduce stress on a particular dwarf aside from giving them a pimped out room covered with aluminum statues? My mayor seems to be acting up. Thanks in advance :v:

Not really all that much unfortunately... See what the dwarf likes to eat/drink and see if you can stock any of that stuff (they should grab it before other stuff without you needing to mess with burrows and whatever). Otherwise pimp their room out and general surroundings. An artifact statue in the main entrance/walkway that everyone walks by will cause happy thoughts even if it isn't designated as anything.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Dec 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Planet
Jun 26, 2010

Moridin920 posted:

I specifically do 'minimum X miners' in the command line

You can do this? I should read up on that then. Thank you :v: