Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Germ posted:

Lost in the shuffle and never answered. Help!

"Units that cannot be deployed via deep strike, either by having access to the rule themselves or because they cannot be carried in a transport vehicle that has it (infantry in drop pods, for example) may not be chosen as part of the army" Page 15 Legion Astartes Crusade Army list book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Although it doesn't state specifically you have to deploy them by deep strike. In ham culture however, that is known as a dick move.

Germ
May 7, 2013

Much obliged! Wasn't sure if I could buy the transport for them and then not deploy them in it (provided it wasn't a dedicated transport). If that's frowned upon, I'll stick to list building with the decapitation strike to get my combination of infiltrating infantry and drop pods.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Germ posted:

Much obliged! Wasn't sure if I could buy the transport for them and then not deploy them in it (provided it wasn't a dedicated transport). If that's frowned upon, I'll stick to list building with the decapitation strike to get my combination of infiltrating infantry and drop pods.

Never not decap strike. (In all fairness, RG is probably the legion who has the easiest time switching to the other RoW. They aren't really dependent on it as much as other legions.)

Sivores
May 25, 2008

All about that bass,
that smooth jazzy bass.
So my gaming group is playing a narrative campaign from Conquest and I will be playing alpha legion, what do you think of this list:

+++ Alpharius would be proud (2500pts) +++

++ Legiones Astartes: Crusade Army List (Age of Darkness) (2500pts) ++

+ HQ (520pts) +

Armillus Dynat (200pts)
··Master of the Legion [The Coils of the Hydra]

Legion Praetor (185pts) [Artificer Armour, Combi-Weapon, Digital Lasers, Iron Halo, Melta Bombs, Paragon Blade, Power Dagger]

Legion Centurion (135pts) [Artificer Armour, Combat Augment Array, Melta Bombs]
··Consul [Saboteur]

+ Troops (540pts) +

Legion Tactical Squad (180pts) [9x Legion Tactical Space Marines, Nuncio-Vox]
··Legion Tactical Sergeant [Artificer Armour, Melta Bombs, Power Dagger]

+ Elites (960pts) +

Apothecarion Detachment (195pts)
··Legion Apothecary [Artificer Armour, Augury Scanner, Power Dagger]

Contemptor-Mortis Dreadnought (180pts) [Two Kheres Pattern Assault Cannons]

Lernaen Terminator Squad (255pts) [4x Lernean Terminator, Plasma Blaster]
··Harrower [Power Dagger, Venom Sphere Harness]

The Rewards of Treason (330pts)
··Pyroclast Squad [Melta Bombs, 9x Pyroclast]
····Pyroclast Warden [Power Dagger, Power Fist]

+ Heavy Support (480pts) +

Legion Artillery Tank Squadron (480pts)
··Legion Medusa [Twin-Linked Bolter]

+ Legion +

Legion Astartes [XX: Alpha Legion]

Everything infiltrates, Medusi handle blobs or really anything that so much as looks at my guys wrong, pyroclasts infiltrate near super heavies to nuke em, lerneans deepstrike near tough targets such as quad mortars to put an end to those, saboteur outflanks on turn 2 blows up there best spartan and the harasses a flank if he survives, and the mortis holds the middle field. What do you guys think?

The only thing I might have trouble with is deathstars but then again medusi.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Speaking as a salamanders player you need a proteus or transport for those pyroclasts or they won't do dick, even if they infil. Maybe look at tyrant seige terminators instead.

Sivores
May 25, 2008

All about that bass,
that smooth jazzy bass.
Would deepstriking them work? Cause I can do that and just infiltrate the lerneans. I just want them to get close enough to charge the inevitable typhon and melta bomb it to death.

I am going to be using Tyrant seige terminators but my first game is tomorrow and I dont have enough missile packs to make those so pyroclasts are my next best option, as I see it. I can also take lerneans with them, which is cool since I made models for them. (and they seem like they would be the first thing to go in the list)

Sivores fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Dec 27, 2015

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
How do people feel about Erasmus Golg? He looks pretty good on paper

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
His warlord ability of terminator troops without a RoW has been really fun, he's only 18 points more that a praetor of the same kit with all the goodies, harsh taskmaster has done nothing for me though and fear for a warlord trait is just eh.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
I'm considering taking him as my Warlord if I actually get the boxed set, as the Praetor is armed exactly as Golg is. I'd imagine just buddying him up with a Terminator squad and going to town.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Iron Warriors have real good characters and special units but lol those rules.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
Seriously, I've never been disappointed in my lascannon havocs or tyrants, and never been let down by any of the characters.

Hencoe fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Dec 27, 2015

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

Sivores posted:

Would deepstriking them work? Cause I can do that and just infiltrate the lerneans. I just want them to get close enough to charge the inevitable typhon and melta bomb it to death.

I am going to be using Tyrant seige terminators but my first game is tomorrow and I dont have enough missile packs to make those so pyroclasts are my next best option, as I see it. I can also take lerneans with them, which is cool since I made models for them. (and they seem like they would be the first thing to go in the list)

If you DS them then they're a tasty bunched target unless you run them, which Salamanders aren't very good at and means you aren't going to get a shot off on the turn you arrive.

Don't get me wrong they're loving awesome but if you want a full Melta bomb squad then why not take veterans and DS them as its cheaper

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Real loving psyched for Justaerin to get 2W, which will make them enter The Own Zone.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

panascope posted:

Real loving psyched for Justaerin to get 2W, which will make them enter The Own Zone.

Yeah, like thats going to happen.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Another points reduction seems more likely.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Do you have 5 minutes to hear about our rightful master, The Emperor?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I bought the Black Templars upgrade kit at a hobby shop the other day and the special weapons don't have hands on them. I shouldn't have been surprised, but I'd rather not chop up my bolters with hands that I have in my bitz container.

Which mark of power armor would be good for some Black Templars? I realize that they weren't really a chapter during the Heresy, but surely they'd have some old power armor if it was still good, right?

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Star Man posted:

I bought the Black Templars upgrade kit at a hobby shop the other day and the special weapons don't have hands on them. I shouldn't have been surprised, but I'd rather not chop up my bolters with hands that I have in my bitz container.

Which mark of power armor would be good for some Black Templars? I realize that they weren't really a chapter during the Heresy, but surely they'd have some old power armor if it was still good, right?

IV and III. Sigismund and the first company secured amazing numbers of Mk IV from Mars and the IF in general loved III. Sigismund himself wore III

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

DJ Dizzy posted:

IV and III. Sigismund and the first company secured amazing numbers of Mk IV from Mars and the IF in general loved III. Sigismund himself wore III

I like the look of MkIV over MkIII. MkIII is too bulky, so I'll go with the MkIV.

A decision I could have made on my own, but having that bit of fluff goes a long way. Both 30k and 40k take their symbolism in design way over the top already, but the MkIV looks more like a space suit for space marines rather than a suit of medieval armor.

Sivores
May 25, 2008

All about that bass,
that smooth jazzy bass.

Lord Twisted posted:

If you DS them then they're a tasty bunched target unless you run them, which Salamanders aren't very good at and means you aren't going to get a shot off on the turn you arrive.

Don't get me wrong they're loving awesome but if you want a full Melta bomb squad then why not take veterans and DS them as its cheaper

Yeah I dont know if I'll be running them again, nice cheap bodyguard unit but slow as all hell, if they walk they die and infiltration (as I learned today) is not viable unless your doing city fight with tons of terrain .

Anyways played three games today, two were unfortunately killpoints only and I lost both times, the last was a rescue mission for a character which I won by sitting in my fort and taking things out as they came towards it also retooled my list and took a lightning and quad mortars, holy poo poo those things are broken/good. Also having air superiority is a thing and dropping the rewards of treason on coils of the hydra was actually a good idea, I dont know if I'm going to be running CotH in the future. Lerneans performed well every time, but medusas were too fragile though and are to many points to be that fragile and have battles hinge on them.

So the first game was elimination with dawn of war deployment against my groups most experienced guy playing stone gauntlet with 2 sicaran venerators. The map barely had any cover in the middle and thus my force of infiltrators was out in the open for the most part. He kept the medusas from firing by just pouring fire into them and even with them being in the most cover I could grab in my deployment they were gone by turn 3 and had fired 2 shots. In short I got my poo poo kicked in.

Game 2 was blood feud against raven gourd with 2 units of termis 1 in a spartan and 1 in a dark wing duckship. We counter infiltrated each other. His 4 vet squads then proceded to hide in cover and whittle down my troops with rending bolt shells. My medusas did pretty well all things considered but they were in ruins with a list with very little anti tank. but with my whole force walking towards his (the play mistake that cost me the game) he won by kill points. Although my praetor straight up ganked his and I proceeded to blow up both his death stars.

Game 3 was a rescue game against the same raven guard with his coll guy medicae being captured/ welcomed back to the alpha legion by me. I won this game as we both switched up lists and took more guns, and I ruled the skies with a lightning. My Saboteur did his job finally and nuked the RG's Spartan (the only other time he was able to use it he blew up a void shield instead of the spartan). It turned into a 5 turn game of attrition as he whittled down all of my units with his vet squads all in all I had Dynat and my praetor with a tac squad in the fort that would assault out into anything that came onto the battlements and then proceed to slaughter them. I won and re activated my sleeper agent/ killed his medicae.

All in all a fun day of hamming and learned alot from my first battles of 30k. Back to the drawing board though.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

DJ Dizzy posted:

pretty neat, though I'm way more excited for the HH masterclass finally coming out.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Can a Moritat use the Chain Fire ability if he's only equipped with one pistol? Thinking about outfitting my Death Guard Moritat with a Lightning Claw and Plasma Pistol. I know it's not optimal, but I think it will look pretty dang cool.

EDIT: drat nvm, Moritats can't be equipped with Lightning Claws.

DrPop fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Dec 28, 2015

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Also I need a holstered bolt pistol, preferably Phobos pattern but any will do. Anyone wanna trade for it? Got a bunch of random bits I can send off for it including heads, Forgeworldski MK III legs, and other weapons.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Hey wow, I ended up giving GW money after all. I saw some Emperor's Children lists earlier, so I'll probably build my Calth models in that direction. I also ordered some cheap Kakophoni and Palantine blades! Yay.

The condensed books are out of stock - so I think my best bet is to just paint what I've got and hope to be done by the 2016 rebalanced ones. Does that seem right?

I want to use magnets on the blades' backpacks and characters (for jump option) and the dread's weapons. Are there any other quality of life improvements I should be looking into in the pre-build stage?

E: And where do I find out which armor these guys wore? The 40k EC look like they were wearing up to MkV, but the HH stuff seems to be all MkIV and earlier.

moths fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Dec 28, 2015

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
Just opened my calth box, and having never played 40k I'm looking for suggestions on which chapter I should go with. I think I wanna make them loyalists, and think I don't like Ultramarines, but that's as far as I know.

Also waiting on some magnets in the mail so gotta choose the paints I wanna buy!

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Moose-Alini posted:

Just opened my calth box, and having never played 40k I'm looking for suggestions on which chapter I should go with. I think I wanna make them loyalists, and think I don't like Ultramarines, but that's as far as I know.

Also waiting on some magnets in the mail so gotta choose the paints I wanna buy!

Imperial Fists are going to be the most *iconic (aside from Ultramarines). They'll make great use of both power armor and terminator marines. They get fantastic rules for shooting and amazing characters for HQ units.

That said, they're a yellow colored army and painting yellow is a massive pain in the rear end.

If you want easymode with some fun and fluffy rules, but a Primarch that everyone knows for certain is deadder than dead, Iron Fists is a great legion with good rules and they're pretty baller in 40k if you wanted to play some babby's 30k games against good people who aren't going to powergame the poo poo out of it. They're also a black colored armor legion, so priming black with grey line highlights or a black base followed by grey line highlights and you're done.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Moose-Alini posted:

Raven guard is a good one since it looks like they will be getting a bunch of releases soon. I'd pick them if I wasn't going for emp chitlins.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Moose-Alini posted:

Imperial Fists - Extremely versatile legion. Their unique units are somewhat of a letdown but their Legiones Astartes benefits are fantastic across the board. If you like the idea of doing the simple, effective things better than the others then this is your army.
Iron Hands - They are tough. Like really drat tough, but they pay for that by being slow and having extra restrictions on their army composition. If you like vehicles, infantry blobs that don't go down and robbits, these are your boys. Their unique units are kind of bleh overall, but the terminators can be fun.
Salamanders - Also slow! But they get a bunch of different benefits and units that collectively result in a close-range shooty setup. Also great for vehicles.
Raven Guard - "Look at your army, now back to Raven Guard, now back at your army, now back to Raven Guard. Your army has been murdered." Raven Guard basically go for maximum murder at maximum speed before your opponent gets a chance to defend himself.

Personally if I did a loyalist force I'd pick IF.
And the yellow is honestly not that difficult to deal with. [url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4l0k8TeHgeA"]Here's Duncan painting a Morkanaut and everything he does there you can apply to Imperial Fists[/url].

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
Awesome thanks guys! Can I do a traitor force and have them never be all chaos corrupted? And if so can that translate to 40k at all?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Moose-Alini posted:

Awesome thanks guys! Can I do a traitor force and have them never be all chaos corrupted? And if so can that translate to 40k at all?

There are a wide variety of "traitor" Space Marine factions in 40K, who may cooperate with Chaos-corrupted out of necessity but are otherwise just out for themselves and not the Imperium. The Red Corsairs are the largest faction but by no means the only one. Feel free to make up your own!

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Moose-Alini posted:

Sure! As of the current progress in the Heresy, it's only the Word Bearers who are drinking too much of the chaos kool-aid. Later on more legions would get tainted, but these are pretty massive groups, so there's no reason why you couldn't have death guards without mutations in 40k.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Moose-Alini posted:

This it the 30k thread, but in 40k, Soul Drinkers, Celestial Lions, and Relictors, and Badab-era Lamenters, Executioners, and Mantis Warriors.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

PierreTheMime posted:

There are a wide variety of "traitor" Space Marine factions in 40K, who may cooperate with Chaos-corrupted out of necessity but are otherwise just out for themselves and not the Imperium. The Red Corsairs are the largest faction but by no means the only one. Feel free to make up your own!

But don't I have to use one of the 18 OG legions for 30k?

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

Moose-Alini posted:

But don't I have to use one of the 18 OG legions for 30k?

Not necessarily. You can play with generic legion rules, or play with a counts-as if you want your pretty space princesses in a different color.

Additionally, (especially with the Isstvan traitor legions) there are loyalist and traitor leaders, so it should be easy enough to choose to be, Sons of Horus, for example, and use Loken as your loyalist HQ, or Ancient Rylanor for Emperor's Children, Nathaniel Garro for Death Guard, etc.

Generic Praetor XLVI can also be a loyalist HQ with his ragtag cadre of marines on the run from their own Legion and trying to find loyalists to side with. It's basically how the dudes like the Red Corsairs, Lamentors, Executioners, etc. all came to be.

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
Will reign this way again
I've also just got the Calth set (unexpectedly awesome present for my dear goon wife Namenlos), and I figured I'll paint them as Death Guard. Planning to model most of them as basic bolter marines with combat blades, to build a solid core of troops that I can develop into an army when time and money allow. Recent painted this guy for the oath thread, partly for the fun of building him, and partly as a test piece in case I started 30k:

Will build an Isstvan force, battered (naturally) and with some mismatched armour pieces from MkIII and other suits. One question though, does anyone bother with chaplains in Death Guard armies? With the morale immunities the DG get, some of the abilities would be lost, but I found a sweet rogue-trader era chaplain model while searching my boxes for parts, and he'd fit very nicely.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I've been taking Chaplains for a long time and only recently have the mainstream podcasts come around to saying 'yeah its a good HQ why don't more people take him more often?' It really depends on your list, but if you have A) a bunch of dudes who want to smash into other dudes B) want a cheap HQ to run with said dudes then the chaplain is the battle bro of choice

DJ Dizzy posted:

Proof positive that Stanyer69 picked the wrong legion.

Sivores posted:

All in all a fun day of hamming and learned alot from my first battles of 30k. Back to the drawing board though.

How didn't your medusas utterly delete his cover hugging marines? They are ordinance barrage so unless they scattered poorly you should have deleted a squad each turn.

Sivores
May 25, 2008

All about that bass,
that smooth jazzy bass.

BULBASAUR posted:

so unless they scattered poorly

You answered yourself, also I was trying to pop his Spartan to get at the juicy deathstar inside and remove what I thought was the biggest threat to my army.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Germ
May 7, 2013

DJ Dizzy posted:

When does this thing happen? I have a need for this thing.