Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Hmm, fresh prey.

They are not done yet it seems.

Our battleships arrive at Iba to begin softening it up.

There is another day of hard fighting at Clark Field. While we take more losses, they take a lot more destroyed squads – so this is a win in our direction.

Kuantan continues to draw in enemy planes.

We get some good kills here.

Guess who's doing their job properly now!

The Royal Navy is going down!

Its not a good day for the Dutch Navy either.

We then go after the convoy the Dauntless was protecting.

Thought you could shoot our ships and live did you?

Rabaul is ours!

A massed force advances into Changchow, then shock attacks the city. The is a incredibly brutal day of fighting, but we kill over three to one. The enemy are forced from the city with 50% losses.

That was a good day! We are advancing rapidly – I'm going to rest the Clark Field force for a day or so, as we are already doing much better than last time, and I think some rest will help them crack the field.

Any day you sink a cruiser is a good one. (unless you lose a carrier, of course.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
There's an armour division at Clark Field, right? Those little pixel men are running across the open fields at tank guns.

Also, holy poo poo boyo. Getting the super-deathstacks rolling a bit early. That is an insane day of combat, 100k men storming a city.

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014
Setting the KB to do SFA while they transition to position then unleashing the aircraft once they are spotted works really well against people in PBEM.

Not sure about against the AI though...

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

So nice to see the Kido Butai actually doing something now that their orders are set correctly. Also yay Rabaul! Get working on turning that place into a premiere submarine base.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
The first really brutal day in China. Over 20K lives lost. Grey, what's your long term objectives for China? Going to try to cut off the main supply train from India?

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

It's not really 20k lives lost though, most can be revived with necromancysupplies no problem.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Yeah, you actually can lose more men then there were people alive in Japan at the time and be fine as long as you have lots of supply to create replacements.

There's a reason that WitP makes good fodder for basing a Call of Cthulhu game on.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
785 combat squads is a lot of terrible Chinese infantry. What was the figure for how quickly they produce new ones?

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
To expand a little for those who haven't played the game:

When a squad gets disabled, it's not able to fight anymore but it's still there. With some rest and supplies, it can become active again. It's also ripe to get destroyed by enemy forces in future days of combat.

When a squad gets destroyed, it's gone, and can only be replaced by drawing from the nation's pool of replacement squads, of which there are a finite number. This happens automatically but at a slow rate (and requires the containing unit to be within a certain distance of an HQ, etc.)

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

goatface posted:

Also, holy poo poo boyo. Getting the super-deathstacks rolling a bit early. That is an insane day of combat, 100k men storming a city.

China's Chongqing or bust. If he can get enough converging on there fast enough, then he's won Asia. If not, he's going to have millions of men tied up for the next few years slowly bleeding.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

China is an exception to this. To quote the manual:

"Chinese infantry units that are totally destroyed are recreated. When destroyed, the unit is set
to return to Chungking 30 days later at 1/3 of it’s TO&E strength. These replacement units do
not use up any units from the replacement pool. They represent the almost unlimited ability of
China to replace infantry units if needed."

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

team overhead smash posted:

China is an exception to this. To quote the manual:

"Chinese infantry units that are totally destroyed are recreated. When destroyed, the unit is set
to return to Chungking 30 days later at 1/3 of it’s TO&E strength. These replacement units do
not use up any units from the replacement pool. They represent the almost unlimited ability of
China to replace infantry units if needed."

Yeah, but if you take Chungking, China as a theater is basically over.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Clunk! Mwah ha ha.....

Ha... ha... Dammit.

Another one bites the dusk.

Arr! To Davy Jones's Locker with thee!

We deliver more shells to Iba.

The air war here continues.

We pick off another destroyer today.

A fuel filled freighter follows her down.

Our tanks overrun Georgetown.

Brunei also falls.

We keep on moving forward.

Quite a few ships went down today.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.
That was a surprisingly sturdy freighter all things considered. If all of those Kates were using the same bombs, she took 4 long tons of explosives to sink.

Somehow, this bodes poorly.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Arbite posted:

China's Chongqing or bust. If he can get enough converging on there fast enough, then he's won Asia. If not, he's going to have millions of men tied up for the next few years slowly bleeding.

Very much like the actual war. In fact, until the US embargoed them, Japan was hoping to use us as a neutral party to hash out a treaty to end the war in China just like we had a couple decades earlier for the Russo-Japanese War.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
6650 tons of boat, assuming she's the Wilhemsen Troja.

I think those pilots may have been overstating their hits.

fredleander
Dec 7, 2015

Zeroisanumber posted:

Very much like the actual war. In fact, until the US embargoed them, Japan was hoping to use us as a neutral party to hash out a treaty to end the war in China just like we had a couple decades earlier for the Russo-Japanese War.

Everything considered that might have been a better solution than how it turned out. Would that have satisfied the Japanese appetite for the "co-prosperity sphere?"

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014

fredleander posted:

Everything considered that might have been a better solution than how it turned out. Would that have satisfied the Japanese appetite for the "co-prosperity sphere?"

Considering that the subjugation of the entirety of Asia to Japan was an explicit requirement of their 1943 ' An Investigation of Global Policy with the Yamato Race as Nucleus' government report I seriously doubt it.

However, my daughter thinks unicorns are real, so I guess anything is possible...

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

fredleander posted:

Maybe for the army, which wanted coal and iron and grain, but not for the navy, which wanted oil and rubber from DEI and Malaysia. And yeah, the pretty borders faction wanted Siberia and the Phillipenes.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Since the USA was embargoing oil to Japan at the time and a sometime ally of Chiang Kai-Shek, it is not likely the USA would have acted as a neutral arbiter to help Japan secure peace with China.

Japan had crazy ideas about who to ask to act as a go between for them. They'd just kicked Russia's rear end, but for some reason hoped Russia would act as a go between to USA for them. :psyduck:

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

sullat posted:

Maybe for the army, which wanted coal and iron and grain, but not for the navy, which wanted oil and rubber from DEI and Malaysia. And yeah, the pretty borders faction wanted Siberia and the Phillipenes.

You can't ship oil/rubber from the DEI to Japan without controlling the Philippines. The US was planning on stationing hundreds (150-200+) B17's in Luzon/Mindanao which would make shipping impossible.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

fredleander posted:

lol no.

uPen posted:

You can't ship oil/rubber from the DEI to Japan without controlling the Philippines. The US was planning on stationing hundreds (150-200+) B17's in Luzon/Mindanao which would make shipping impossible.

This is another reason for the attack on Pearl. If Clark Field had gotten up and running to the degree that was originally planned, the Philippines would've become an impossible obstacle to Japanese ambitions.

Zeroisanumber fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Dec 30, 2015

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

For those unaware, Japan was very open about wanting to be British Empire Mk. II: Asian Boogaloo.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

LLSix posted:

Japan had crazy ideas about who to ask to act as a go between for them. They'd just kicked Russia's rear end, but for some reason hoped Russia would act as a go between to USA for them. :psyduck:

They didn't really have many friends, or even neutrals, to call upon. They were belligerent with pretty much all of their geographical neighbours, which also happened to include most of Europe because they had colonies and enclaves that were being threatened.

One of the perma-neutrals like Switzerland or Sweden, maybe? If they could be convinced to get involved.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

No supplies for you!

Here we continue to see lots of small raids losing one or two planes a time.

A small brigade of Indian troops slows our advance in Malaya.

I so wish I could build more subs.

Surface attacks a few miles from their capital, they really are powerless.

An American sub gives up on its torpedoes and machine guns one of our ships. It seems more effective.

I order an attack here, and despite being outnumbered, our troops are surprisingly effective.

A force reaches Nanning, but is forced to retreat by a larger Chinese unit.

These Zero pilots care nothing about being outnumbered!

This one seems to have been filled with fuel.

Lots of sub action today. We also took a lot of losses in the air – I'm going to switch strategy here and hope I can do something about it. All my planes will hit a single base in one unstoppable wave!

At least we sunk some ships.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
AG is an auxiliary; general, (I assume this one) so it may well have been carrying munitions and fuel.

The excellently named Iron Knob is a fairly generic 4kt cargo ship, the Doryssa is probably this one which seems to have been a merchant marine oil tanker.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est

Aw, you changed it :(

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Grey fixes things

eventually.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

LLSix posted:

When had Japan "just kicked Russia's rear end" during the time of the Second Sino-Japanese War?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The Russo-Japanese war in the early 1900s

Russia lost, humiliatingly so.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
"Just" implies recently. 30+ years and a regime change later is hardly "just kicked Russia's rear end".

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Yeah in the context of 20th century history "30 years", "Russia" and "recently" don't really go together. Every fifteen years let alone thirty was a major major change.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It involved the destruction of two Russian navies by a "minor" power. There were probably some people around who were still quite angry about that.

Chunky Monkey
Jun 12, 2005
Kill the Gnome!
I got a good chuckle out of the Seadragon going "gently caress the torpedoes. Man the .50cal!"

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

more importantly than a war 30+ years prior would've been the undeclared border war, including a battle with tens of thousands of combatants on both sides and tens of thousands of casualties too, that at this point was less than three years in the past https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battles_of_Khalkhin_Gol not to mention that japan lost that battle

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Errata - Sydney is no more Australia's capital than Brisbane. The city you are looking for is Canberra that was built deliberately 100 kms from the coast to avoid 'diplomatic' naval bombardments.

My only regret is Japanese subs (other timeline) didn't do more damage to Sydney/Brisbane.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Cartoon posted:

Errata - Sydney is no more Australia's capital than Brisbane. The city you are looking for is Canberra that was built deliberately 100 kms from the coast to avoid 'diplomatic' naval bombardments.

My only regret is Japanese subs (other timeline) didn't do more damage to Sydney/Brisbane.

I wonder if the I-400s can reach Canberra. Not that procing infinite renforcments would be a good thing, but the WTFery of that strike. :allears:

Jalak
Nov 23, 2013

goatface posted:

They didn't really have many friends, or even neutrals, to call upon. They were belligerent with pretty much all of their geographical neighbours, which also happened to include most of Europe because they had colonies and enclaves that were being threatened.

One of the perma-neutrals like Switzerland or Sweden, maybe? If they could be convinced to get involved.

Near the end of the war, Japan started sending diplomatic overtures to the Soviets to try and have them broker a peace deal between them and the Allies and even mentioned how America was going to be a major player in global politics and having a "grateful Asia" would be in Russia's best interests. A week later, Russia invaded Manchuria, so that fell apart pretty quickly.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Ardeem posted:

I wonder if the I-400s can reach Canberra. Not that procing infinite renforcments would be a good thing, but the WTFery of that strike. :allears:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I-400-class_submarine

quote:

The Seiran was specifically designed for use aboard the submarines and could carry an 800 kg (1,800 lb) bomb 1,000 km (620 mi) at 475 km/h (295 mph).
Yes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014

I have lived in Canberra for years, the joint was as filthy as all gently caress with AAA, mountains, weed and insane locals back in the day, most of those things are true today too.

Go on, fly your wierd poo poo in here and watch it get shot down and stripped by the locals for scrap metal to buy booze.