Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!

Jastiger posted:

When you choose to do a task and someone else notices and wants to do it, but there is only one thing so now your on a time limit. I am glad you share the interest but don't you fuckin dare ask if I'm done yet.

idgi.. Can you outline the scenario?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

Sociopastry posted:

Me too, man. When I was 5, I said that cats were my favorite animal. Now, at 25, I'm still getting cat-themed gifts. I mean, I like cats, but not enough to put a fuckton of statuettes of them everywhere. I'm 25, not 60.

"What do you mean you don't like cat stuff? You have so many cat things!"

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Captain Lavender posted:

I get annoyed by those recipes shown online as a series of pictures that are just full of swearing for no real reason.

Like, "preheat that fuckin oven up to 11 (450 degrees)", "marinade that poo poo", "chop that bitch onion until it begs for mercy". I still see them all the time - dunno why it hasn't died off.

I think it's supposed to deflect away from the author's enthusiasm by insulating their dedication to the subject in ironic turns of phrase. Liking poo poo ain't cool, friend.

People on tumblr used to do that all the time, which gave way to the ever popular tag "all caps" where people could block basic information texts like "Did you know that mantis shrimp can see MANY colours?" that were worded like "LISTEN UP YOU SANDY MOTHERFUCKERS I AM ABOUT TO DROP SOME GOTDAMNED TRUTHBOMBS ON YA DID YOU KNOW SHRIMP CAN SEE LIKE A BUNCH OF COLOURS HOT drat DROP A BEAT" or whatever

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Basically, it's a dumb meme. It's :airquote:funny:airquote:.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
People who refer to animal euthanasia as murder. Especially people who work in animal rescues. Look, I rescue too, but seriously, screaming that you will like humans more than animals when it's okay to kill humans the same as we do animals, makes you sound goddamn off the wall crazy. It's like the people who scream abortion is always murder. Even for a miscarriage?

Along that line, the insane mentality of "I save more animals than YOU DO." For some people in this rescue, it's almost a mad collection to see who can take on as many as possible as fast as possible. And the week of Xmas the rescue always pushes the "Xmas Rescue" and asks that everyone take ONE more animal. It's almost peer pressure sometimes. And the group wonders why I'm backing out of fostering. poo poo, the time I complained I had seven kittens all with ringworm, I was blasted on Facebook as to how many more kittens other people had.

Some people have 30 loving cats and kittens they foster. They also have no life outside the rescue, their entire house would reek of cat piss if not for the fact they have "volunteers" from the rescue come and clean their loving houses....and most have no jobs outside of the house.

Peeve outside of rescue: the term and ideas behind affluenza. Because being rich means you never pay for anything.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

I worked with someone who constantly took in rescues and she makes probably around $1600 a month, lives in downtown Toronto, and at the moment has three cats, three dogs, a turtle, a lizard, some fish and two rats (vets here are insanely expensive: she is in serious debt). She takes in poor sad animals who have serious behavioral issues and places this excessive emphasis on their emotions, and expects every one else to do the same. It's infuriating. When she realizes one animal is too much trouble she tries to pawn them off on people, but her standards for pet ownership are so strict that she'll keep seriously lovely animals for years because no one can live up to her expectations. To top it off, she also projects her emotional problems onto her animals. Like, she has a Westie who she openly despises and constantly offers to give away to people because he's nervous and wets himself sometimes. One of my friends almost took him despite the fact that he doesn't like dogs all that much just because it was so pathetic and weird.

I bring this up because she's like 90% of the people I've worked with in rescues and foster programmes. It's a sad one-up game dominated by people who use animals to negotiate with their intense emotional problems and they exist because of a tiny minority of vapid assholes who produce an enormous influx of abandoned animals because they decided to buy an unfixed dog at 9PM while drunk*.

*: Not a joke. A guy tried to do this once at a pet supply place I worked at. He was very unhappy to find out we didn't sell dogs.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

DavidAlltheTime posted:

idgi.. Can you outline the scenario?

Ah, I think I'll get a nice drink of water here at the fountain. *three people immediately line up behind you after the fountain was there unused for hours* "Hey are you gonna hurry up?"

Ah, time to clip the ole' nails. "Hey when are you going to be done with those nail clippers, I want to clip my nails, hurry up"

Better pull over here and adjust the car seat in the car, lets get way off to this part of the parking lot no one is using *cars immediately come up behind you forcing you even further out of the way*

Hmm, I have a lot of work to do at this ATM, I'll take the one furthest from the crowd that is not being used. *people immediately come up behind, leaving the other ATMs unused*

It frustrates the crap out of me.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Captain Lavender posted:

I still see them all the time - dunno why it hasn't died off.

Because the whitest people on the planet figured out a way to monetize it

http://www.thugkitchen.com/

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Jastiger posted:

Ah, I think I'll get a nice drink of water here at the fountain. *three people immediately line up behind you after the fountain was there unused for hours* "Hey are you gonna hurry up?"

Ah, time to clip the ole' nails. "Hey when are you going to be done with those nail clippers, I want to clip my nails, hurry up"

Better pull over here and adjust the car seat in the car, lets get way off to this part of the parking lot no one is using *cars immediately come up behind you forcing you even further out of the way*

Hmm, I have a lot of work to do at this ATM, I'll take the one furthest from the crowd that is not being used. *people immediately come up behind, leaving the other ATMs unused*

It frustrates the crap out of me.

Might be along the same lines, but people that aren't interested in anything you're doing until they see how cool/fun/interesting it is. I've had friends do that where we plan a trip somewhere, someone says "can't make it, sounds boring" or something similar, then one of two things happens: they get mad because we all had fun without them, or come in at the last minute after everything is planned/paid for and expect everyone to accommodate them. Nope, gently caress that, had your chance and blew it pal.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

ElwoodCuse posted:

The main page recipe is Spiced Chai Pumpkin Scones. They ain't fooling anyone.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

ElwoodCuse posted:

This reads like bad fanfic for The Wire.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
People who have to hit the lock button on their key fob and hear the horn 8 times while they walk away from the car.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Rolo posted:

People who have to hit the lock button on their key fob and hear the horn 8 times while they walk away from the car.

My dad insists on doing this. I set my car to not honk the horn, so I just see the lights flash, because I find that obnoxious.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013
On a related note, people who over-torque screws when using a power drill.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Ozz81 posted:

Might be along the same lines, but people that aren't interested in anything you're doing until they see how cool/fun/interesting it is. I've had friends do that where we plan a trip somewhere, someone says "can't make it, sounds boring" or something similar, then one of two things happens: they get mad because we all had fun without them, or come in at the last minute after everything is planned/paid for and expect everyone to accommodate them. Nope, gently caress that, had your chance and blew it pal.

There are also people who are super gung-ho about things until the second it's actually happening, and then they end up getting pissy at everyone and complaining about everything.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

Rolo posted:

Ah, this is me, sorry. It's just that my car is 30 years old and the only way to lock it is to lock the trunk and see the little pegs go down, so when I borrow or rent a newer car, I have to hear the little toot-toot to make sure it's locked. I don't MEAN to be obnoxious, I'm just not used to cars that are more than 10 years younger than me.

KoB
May 1, 2009
My roommate regularly pushes everyone in the house to play videogames/board games together and with out fail if he starts losing he turns into a whiny baby about everything in the game. He always brings games hes played a ton and thinks he will win but gets all upset if he doesnt.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

DavidAlltheTime posted:

Also: Being tall so doing the dishes kills my back.

I'm not even that tall (5'11") and my back KILLS after only doing dishes for a few minutes.

Kitchen counters are too drat short. I think the standard is 36"? But I'm pretty sure the standard was developed decades ago, primarily for women, cause back in the day they were more likely to be doing the kitchen work.

A few more inches (let's bump it up to 40" maybe?) won't make it that much harder for the average 5'4-5'8" person to wash dishes, do cooking, etc... but it would make a world of difference for those of us taller than that.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

That awkward period of time after a snowstorm where the ice and snow has melted on main streets and it's perfectly fine to drive the speed limit but nearly everywhere you could turn off on still has slush or snow or ice and is still slippery so you have to slow down a ton just to turn or pull into anywhere and then people ride your rear end while you do so.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

DrBouvenstein posted:

I'm not even that tall (5'11") and my back KILLS after only doing dishes for a few minutes.

Kitchen counters are too drat short. I think the standard is 36"? But I'm pretty sure the standard was developed decades ago, primarily for women, cause back in the day they were more likely to be doing the kitchen work.

A few more inches (let's bump it up to 40" maybe?) won't make it that much harder for the average 5'4-5'8" person to wash dishes, do cooking, etc... but it would make a world of difference for those of us taller than that.

:eng101: The standard ergonomics measurements were compiled by WWII draft measurements, which means the standards we use today were set by teenagers in the 1940s who grew up during the Great Depression and therefore malnourished and smaller than today's average. There hasn't been a mass measuring of the general population since then so that's what we're still using.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Phantasium posted:

That awkward period of time after a snowstorm where the ice and snow has melted on main streets and it's perfectly fine to drive the speed limit but nearly everywhere you could turn off on still has slush or snow or ice and is still slippery so you have to slow down a ton just to turn or pull into anywhere and then people ride your rear end while you do so.

St Paul?

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

I have been on a lot of long-haul flights in the last couple months, and they're lovely.

I used to think the worst part of a flight was right after you'd landed, where everyone jumps up and stands around with their sweaty asses in your face and their bags dangling over your heads. That's pretty bad.

But the actual worst part of a flight is when they try to cram four courses of a meal onto a tray the size of a paperback book. Then you have to eat it without spilling any on yourself, and they sit there for a loving hour with the precariously-stacked dirty dishes trapping you in your seat, hoping that some turbulence doesn't knock a piece of greasy foil or a half cup of Coke into your lap. It makes an already-uncomfortable situation practically unbearable.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

People defending pedos and pedophilic artworks. Like naw, gently caress your coping method bullshit. You get off on child rape, and/or are defending people who do. Don't hide behind mental illness excuses.

Oh twitter.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
People who can't stand still.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

I dislike when food is called "fare." I have no reasoning, really. "Hearty American fare!" or "Laid-back pub fare!" just immediately makes the food sound 40% less appealing to me.

Autumn Angel
Jan 18, 2014

Webpages, usually clickbait articles, that have so many ads running that it ends up crashing my browser.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Autumn Angel posted:

Webpages, usually clickbait articles, that have so many ads running that it ends up crashing my browser.

That's the only reason I use an ad blocker. I don't mind seeing some ads in exchange for some free entertainment, but when every other site makes my browser crash or freeze up for a couple of seconds or the text I'm trying to read jumps out of the way to let an ad pop in, that's where I draw the line.

PeaceDiner
Mar 24, 2013

Wedemeyer posted:

People defending pedos and pedophilic artworks. Like naw, gently caress your coping method bullshit. You get off on child rape, and/or are defending people who do. Don't hide behind mental illness excuses.

Oh twitter.

When people say "pedophile" when they mean "child molester/rapist."

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

PeaceDiner posted:

Just because someone hasn't raped a child yet, doesn't mean I trust them.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
When you pull into a store with a super small parking lot at a busy time, so there's no spots, and some jackass walks into his car, turns it on... And then pulls out his phone and starts talking on it! The jackass was STILL sitting there when I came out of the store 20 minutes later.

People who are so afraid of saying the N word that they self-sensor when they're singing a song with the word in it. In the song Only by Nicki Minaj it's literally every 3 words in the chorus so it sounds really loving stupid to hear someone pause every second to avoid saying it out loud. Maybe I'm wrong here but imo there's a difference between singing a song and a context where it's used as a derogatory term.

Conversely, "well THEY can say it, why can't I?"

Also:
"All rap music is the same" "rap is all about bitches hos money and curse words" and in general the people who act all high-and-mighty and smug because they don't listen to this "inferior" music.

Thin Privilege has a new favorite as of 04:59 on Jan 2, 2016

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

PeaceDiner posted:

Related: When people say "pederast" when they mean paedophile or child molester. How did this overly-specific term come to be used so commonly in place of the more general one?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
If you want to talk to me when I'm playing a video game, watching a movie, or listening to a podcast, please say something and wait for me to turn off/pause/mute whatever I'm doing before talking. Maybe you can process three people talking about a movie, me shooting things, and hearing about whatever you're talking about at the same time, but I loving can't and adding me going waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait to the combo isn't helpful.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 07:10 on Jan 2, 2016

God Over Djinn
Jan 17, 2005

onwards and upwards

MisterBibs posted:

If you want to talk to me when I'm playing a video game, watching a movie, or listening to a podcast, please say something and wait for me to turn off/pause/mute whatever I'm doing before talking. Maybe you can process three people talking about a movie, me shooting things, and hearing about whatever you're talking about at the same time, but I loving can't and adding me going waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait to the combo isn't helpful.

I have the opposite of this. Someone close to me somehow just can't process more than one source of sound at once. If you're in the car with him, he refuses to have the radio on unless everyone stays 100% absolutely silent. If you talk to him or to anyone else in the car, the radio instantly gets turned off and won't go back on again until everyone's silent again. If he's playing a game or listening to music and you say something casual that doesn't even require a response, like 'hey that's neat' or whatever, he has to turn it off and then have you repeat yourself. He swears up and down he doesn't have any hearing problems and his hearing seems normal otherwise, like he doesn't ask you to repeat yourself a lot during a normal conversation or anything. And it makes me absolutely insane. I just want to be able to point out a pretty sunset while listening to music okay :(

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

How is it that video games with autosaves still don't have a way to find out when you last saved? When I go to quit the game, telling me that I'll lose all progress since my last save doesn't really help much if I have no idea when that was. Why not just say "If you quit you will lose all progress since your last save, which was 2 minutes ago." Or better yet, stop pretending like you can't just save wherever and just make the option "save and quit".

Or, actually far better option, let me just save whenever the gently caress I want, and create as many save games as will fit on my hard disk, because why the gently caress should I not be able to do that?

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

God Over Djinn posted:

I have the opposite of this. Someone close to me somehow just can't process more than one source of sound at once. If you're in the car with him, he refuses to have the radio on unless everyone stays 100% absolutely silent. If you talk to him or to anyone else in the car, the radio instantly gets turned off and won't go back on again until everyone's silent again. If he's playing a game or listening to music and you say something casual that doesn't even require a response, like 'hey that's neat' or whatever, he has to turn it off and then have you repeat yourself. He swears up and down he doesn't have any hearing problems and his hearing seems normal otherwise, like he doesn't ask you to repeat yourself a lot during a normal conversation or anything. And it makes me absolutely insane. I just want to be able to point out a pretty sunset while listening to music okay :(

Before I got diagnosed with/treated for ADHD I was like this. Trust me, it's just as annoying to have to ask people to repeat themselves because your brain didn't absorb what they said despite you looking directly into their eyes when they talk to you.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

WastedJoker posted:

People who can't stand still.

I'm sorry man, this is me. I have ADD and if I don't move, I can't concentrate.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Sociopastry posted:

I'm sorry man, this is me. I have ADD and if I don't move, I can't concentrate.

It's me, too. It seems like I get uncomfortable far quicker than average, so I'm always fidgeting to find new positions to sit or stand.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
People who send 100 texts in a row if you don't reply immediately.

Hey what's up
Did you get my last message?
Where are you
Are you ok?
Fine, don't answer.

And so on. Especially bad if they tie in calling multiple times in between the texts. How the gently caress do they not realize that I'm probably busy so can't get to my phone?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

walrusman posted:

It's me, too. It seems like I get uncomfortable far quicker than average, so I'm always fidgeting to find new positions to sit or stand.

Same. I can sit still, I can walk somewhere, but standing in place- hell, having to stand in place is my pet peeve. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Thin Privilege posted:

People who send 100 texts in a row if you don't reply immediately.

Hey what's up
Did you get my last message?
Where are you
Are you ok?
Fine, don't answer.

And so on. Especially bad if they tie in calling multiple times in between the texts. How the gently caress do they not realize that I'm probably busy so can't get to my phone?

I've got friends who will immediately follow a text with an actual phone call, like even if I'm on my phone when I receive the text I won't have time to read it before the incoming call hits.

Why loving bother with the text then? This was even more of a peeve back in the dark old days before unlimited texting.