Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

5er posted:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/4...9ba1d-152197665

Welp. The fuckers are going to get me to play this one a third time probably.

I wonder if it would be exposed to modding or other gamesharkery?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Of course cheat engine will work on it. I doubt anyone will care.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Nakar posted:

<Useful stuff>

Alright, this is great. I'm already busy getting some innocents, but I'll save the stat innocents for later.
There's just SO MUCH TO DO

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Okay - it's official. I hate innocent breeding.

I got up to a statician lv 900 in no time, with two lone staticians in the farm regularly producing new ones. With each new subdued one, I merged them with the existing ones, so that I'd always have two staticians in the farm (with all unsubdued ones on some other item to hunt in the item world). I read somewhere that time passes for the innocent farm by turns taken, meaning just clearing each item world floor in one turn doesn't pass time at all, so I had at least one turn on every floor, might as well. Worked fine.

But now I switched to Managers and it's broken down for some reason... Two lone Managers in the farm, not a single offspring, I've gone through 40+ floors at this point. I've never used these two for breeding at all, so no idea what's going on there. This is maddening. Isn't there some reliable way to trigger child innocents?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
That no turns passed thing sounds a little dubious going off my own experience.

What I never understood is how the breeding selection triggers. As in, should I be loading up my farm with a bunch of innocents I want and leave a spot open, or should I only put two innocents of the type I want.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

There was someone on Reddit (I know) talking about how he played for 8-10 hours and no innocents bred. He then restarted his PS4 and they started breeding again. It sounds like maybe there's some bug related to innocent breeding that can manifest if you don't restart the game from time to time. Who the gently caress knows though.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

...aaaaaand of course, just as I'm playing this game again for half an hour, I get three child Managers in quick succession. RNG is a fickle mistress.

Oh well. I got Platinum in Nier. The random number generator can't be worse here.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
You should get a badge on your avatar for having a Platinum in Nier.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Rascyc posted:

You should get a badge on your avatar for having a Platinum in Nier.

Hahahahahaaaaaaaa I got all the random drops :shepicide:

Aaaaand now I've got my Lv300 Manager (maximum cap per character is 300, right? Nothing like getting three separate 300 Managers stacking to 900?), so time to get those Instructors + Mentors and level up ridiculously. I already got a nice setup for getting max Weapon Mastery - I discovered a little Armor Knight Evility called Swift Stance, where people counter a bazillion times when defending, so I just had my Armor Knight attack somebody defending with the same Evility with Galahad's Shield on Invincible panels, and presto, endless (max counters is 20, I think???) counter chains...

I'd also like to give to protocol that Majorita is REALLY good, and it's kinda funny how you just have whacky hijinx with an unrepentant mass murderer going on

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Managers stack to 1900. They're the only ones that multi-stack. No, I don't know why.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Why would you even need that much mana?

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Clarste posted:

Why would you even need that much mana?
Leveling skills. You need millions of Mana to cap things out and can only hold 9,999,999, so it only takes about 4-5 Manager stacks at 1000% to max it in one battle, but you do need some extra Managers to get to that point quickly. Getting skills up to +8 costs over a million, and getting them to +9 costs slightly more than 5 million so you basically need to be able to get max Mana in a single battle to level a skill to +9 once.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Well, I think I discovered a bug. At least I think it's a bug, because I have no other explanation... :shrug:

I've tried mastering all classes on several characters after unlocking Carnage Dimension. For this, I attempted the usual trick of taking a character with Geo Blast into a 20-star Carnage item world, Magichange four of my mainstay characters reincarnated as monsters onto them and Geo Blasting a Lv9999 Geo Symbol for ridiculous class EXP. And sure enough, that works really well. I discovered that resetting via Geo Change unfortunately sets all Geo Symbols to the user's level, so I'm quitting + re-entering until I get symbols - that's fine. But strangely, every third visit or so... I get Geo Symbols at a much lower level. :raise: Ridiculous Lv9999 enemies all around, but the Geo Symbols are all Lv411 and give poo poo EXP. I experimented a bit, and it gets weirder: at 20 stars, I sometimes get stages with all Geo Symbols at Lv411; at 19 stars, I sometimes get stages with all Geo Symbols at ~Lv2200. I have no idea what causes this, but it only happens occasionally, so... Hm.

In any case, Land Decimator is a drat godsend in this game. Is there any way of raising its accuracy beyond 50%? Seems to be capped there. Christo's Evility doesn't boost it, but maybe his Overload might? If so, that still wouldn't be very reliable... It doesn't seem to work with the Sniper's unique Evility, either. Is there any way to go beyond 50%? I want to be exceedingly unfair to this game.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Nothing raises it above 50%. What you want to do is give the Sage more attacks.

Nameless Fool
Aug 29, 2008
Outside of a fancy movement animation and giving anyone equipped with one flight, what's the draw of an Axel Gear again?

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Nameless Fool posted:

Outside of a fancy movement animation and giving anyone equipped with one flight, what's the draw of an Axel Gear again?
That's it. A regular item with the UI that sets movement type to flying does the same thing. It also has very high Movement I guess. Actually leveling its stats is an exercise in insanity though, don't try it unless you've been locked in a bunker with five years' supply of food and no games other than Disgaea 5.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

News to follow Disgaea PC: The people who run SteamDB did some data mining, and found a future store page (or something, I'm not super clear on these things) for Phantom Brave on Steam. Apparently these data mines are pretty credible but not guarantees. So look out for Super Sad Girl Adventures on a computer near you maybe.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1151748 - the list of leaked titles

projecthalaxy fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Dec 8, 2015

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
If they're going to port their decade-old back catalogue instead of games that are actually good, I hope they least get around to doing an English version of the Makai Kingdom rerelease.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

FractalSandwich posted:

If they're going to port their decade-old back catalogue instead of games that are actually good, I hope they least get around to doing an English version of the Makai Kingdom rerelease.

We know Disgaea PC will be Afternoon of Darkness, I assume this will be Heroes of the Hermuda Triangle, so if they go chronologically through the PSP games, Makai Kingdom would be next, followed by Dark Hero Days.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
As usual, La Pucelle gets no respect.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!

FractalSandwich posted:

As usual, La Pucelle gets no respect.

Good.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

I know basically nothing about La Pucelle except Priere is in it and she wrecks shop especially in Disgaea 4.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

projecthalaxy posted:

I know basically nothing about La Pucelle except Priere is in it and she wrecks shop especially in Disgaea 4.

Goofy battle nun who had an optional bad ending where, if you ground too much time into the optional Dark World content, she got renamed queen of darkness, to her consternation. And all subsequent appearances of her have had her as the queen of darkness, so they made it canon just for yuks.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

projecthalaxy posted:

Full disclosure: I also know basically nothing about it. It's me, I'm the hypocrite.

Hayarigami? Marl Kingdom?? No-one appreciates the classics.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!
La Pucelle was a garbage game and it gets no respect for good reason. I played it after Disgaea put NI on my radar and hated it the whole way through.

Nameless Fool
Aug 29, 2008
I've tried La Pucelle and it just feels like a clunkier version of Disgaea 1, which by comparison to the later Disgaeas, already feels pretty rough around the edges. Sadly, I have yet to play many of NIS's other non-disgaea games like Makai Kingdom, or Phantom Brave. The only non Disgaea NIS game I've played and enjoyed is Soul Nomad... I wish that had a PSN release.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Nameless Fool posted:

I've tried La Pucelle and it just feels like a clunkier version of Disgaea 1, which by comparison to the later Disgaeas, already feels pretty rough around the edges. Sadly, I have yet to play many of NIS's other non-disgaea games like Makai Kingdom, or Phantom Brave. The only non Disgaea NIS game I've played and enjoyed is Soul Nomad... I wish that had a PSN release.

Soul Nomad was the best (Gig 4 lyfe) and I'd give anything.. well I'd give a lot.. well I'd give some double-digit amount of USD currency for a PC release of that one.

This may be rose-tinted goggles talking

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Makai Kingdom was fuckin' weird, and its 'strategy' ended up loving stupid, but drat if it didn't have some mechanics i'd like to see return someday. Dropping a house on people, that's full of people? Yes please. Something like a dozen different weapon types that use weird stat combinations, like Balloons, Pies, and Syringes? Double yes. MOTHERFUCKING TANKS AND MECHS?! Yes yes yes yes yes.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
Soul Nomad is the best NIS game.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Based on the good reviews, I grabbed this game as part of a sale, but I've never played any of the series (or even FFT for that matter). Is there an idiot's babby guide to Disgaea/Tac RPGs somewhere I could begin with?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Syrinxx posted:

Based on the good reviews, I grabbed this game as part of a sale, but I've never played any of the series (or even FFT for that matter). Is there an idiot's babby guide to Disgaea/Tac RPGs somewhere I could begin with?

Basically the things to keep in mind:

A single strong character is almost always superior to multiple weaker characters until very late in the game.
Most of the mechanics are there to allow you to power-level in some fashion and you don't have to engage with all of them to just finish the story. Arguably the story missions are more fun if you don't.
Levels are very important and also very unimportant. As you progress you'll hit plateaus where it is trivial to return to a specific high level. If you find any area where you feel you can reliably gain a lot of levels don't hesitate to Reincarnate your characters that gives them very large boosts.
Don't stress out too much. Disgaea is a game about getting big numbers and there are a lot of ways to get big numbers. Unless you're doing the super-absurd post-game content you should just find a way to gain power that feels fun to you and stick with it.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Syrinxx posted:

This is the single most important thing you should know before playing Disgaea 5: there's an NPC in the hub that lets you change the background music there. You will probably want to do this as soon as possible.

It's also good to know that the main story is tuned to be completable without ever repeating a map or doing any other kind of grinding. You have that option if you're having a hard time, but you can trust that the game never requires or expects it.

Apart from that, the in-game tutorials cover the basics pretty thoroughly. I'd suggest just giving it a shot and asking in here if there's anything in particular you don't get. There are no "noob traps" or irreversible mistakes.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

This game is pretty rad. I bought Metallia from the DLC shop and holy god she is like cheating. She's easily 10 times more powerful than anyone else I have.

Is there a place I can store my weaker characters and mons so I don't have to sift through a big list every time I go into a fight?

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
If you have research expeditions, you can send them off on research expeditions. If you don't have research expeditions, keep playing until you get research expeditions.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Syrinxx posted:

This game is pretty rad. I bought Metallia from the DLC shop and holy god she is like cheating. She's easily 10 times more powerful than anyone else I have.

Is there a place I can store my weaker characters and mons so I don't have to sift through a big list every time I go into a fight?

You can make deployment squads so you have a short list to sort through.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Erg posted:

You can make deployment squads so you have a short list to sort through.

You can also rearrange your list manually to put the people you like most up top

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

I'm stuck on the boss level of the 3rd world - Poisonland or something. Instead of going back to grind is it worth picking up a couple of the DLC levels (assuming they would scale to my current level)? Do they come with new characters to use?

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
If you didn't know this about that stage already: you only have to kill the guys with the red health bars to win. The yellow ones will attack you if you get close, but if you stay out of their way you barely have to fight them at all. You don't even have to touch the "boss".

The DLC stages do scale to your current level, and they do come with new characters to use. I don't think any of them are as strong as Metallia, though.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

They were all red, but I managed to beat it by doing a mass capture with Mettalia :D Thanks for the info, I may try out a couple DLC if I find myself wanting new mons to check out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Almost got my Platinum trophy. :toot: I took down Baal in the normal world with 0 stars without any trouble, so that's nice. All that remains is getting 50 One-Time Bonus (shouldn't take long), the legendary weapon (I think I can get that while leveling one of the ultimate weapons on Mystery Room route...) and max level for an item, which is 500, I believe. The end is in sight!

I don't know if I've got it in me to get a crew ready to take on Carnage Baal, though... I got max aptitudes only on one character so far, because getting to 300% in the chara world is INSANELY boring. I hate that board game and its randomly appearing wrestler panels SO, SO MUCH. Biggest waste of time in the entire game. I guess I could stomach doing that for two more damage dealers, but... dear god, it's mind-numbing.
Five of my dudes have max level + max shard bonus, doesn't take too long to get that for others. That leaves only one thing to do:

ITEMS. :stare:
How is that supposed to work? I've got all the R40s I need, and my Trapezohedron is on the way. Is Training Bonus even required once you've hit Rarity 100? I've only stayed on the Mystery Room route for the chances of running into the duplication event again. Other than that, I've been running through at 15 stars, killing everything in the hopes of getting that Kill Bonus (I think 400 is max?). It's about ~2 cleared levels for +1 Kill Bonus. Once I get 400, I guess I'll just run through instead of killing everything, to get quicker levels and maybe duplication events. I have placed all my 50k double-stat innocents on the Trapezohedron; no idea if they're needed for leveling, I just want to have them ready in case I run into the duplication event.
The main hurdle here is getting that drat Kill Bonus... Leveling is a piece of cake, but meticulously clearing every level gets annoying fast. I need 3+ Land Decimators plus cleanup crew to clear a level in one round, which is - naturally - way slower than just running through with Item Adventure Squad + nuking every Level Sphere in sight. Is there any way of speeding that up? And do Mystery Room stages count towards the Kill Bonus at all? ('cause if I don't need the Training Bonus anymore, I might as well skip any that doesn't give me anything else...)
I guess I could make my Sage even beefier so that I need less Land Decimators, but I've already got 300% aptitudes / max shard bonus / max base stats / Evility + Squad bonus, so I'm around 40 Million stats without equipment... And since this is my first Trapezohedron, I don't exactly have any equipment to boost that much higher, so I've been tagging along with Magic Boosts + Magichange to nuke everything a normal Land Decimator doesn't get.

I could just leave this out, but I'd like to take down Carnage Baal anyhow... Any tips?

• Locked thread