Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

The Macaroni posted:

Edit to cut down in length: nothing like busting your butt to get something delivered from a vendor on Dec 24, then have the person making the request still complain to your manager.

you learned a lesson i hope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

The Macaroni posted:

Edit to cut down in length: nothing like busting your butt to get something delivered from a vendor on Dec 24, then have the person making the request still complain to your manager.

Or you pay extra for rush shipping because department needs it last week. Then they don't loving use it until 6 months after you set it up.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

go3 posted:

you learned a lesson i hope
Yes, actually. I recommended that we never do this year-end process again and the requester actually agreed to it. But then they still complained.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

gently caress that person. Anything happening on Xmas Eve should trigger a "oh this guy is going out of his way" flag in any intelligent person's mind.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
It was more of a "Let's ask the vendor to do this obnoxious thing in early December, oh hey look now it's Dec 23 and if you can't make the vendor do this by Dec 24 then we will spend our holiday weekend manually performing this process!"

Okay then, even though this is a stupid, wasteful and unsecure workflow, I'll escalate as much as I can with the vendor to make this happen. Woohoo, I got them to do it! Your holiday is safe! Are you happy? No? Oh. :(

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
.... titled "Can we do something about all this unwed email I have?"

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

flosofl posted:

Do all the MSPs you guys work for not have Statements of Work and signed contracts with the customers that detail what exactly you deliver and what the SLAs are? Because every one I've worked with has had everything defined as to what the SLAs are for each severity level, what a sev 1 event is, and what is covered when the contract is signed.

The answer to this where I was was a resounding "NO!" We did whatever people asked of us whenever they asked. I once got a call at 11PM (while I was the on-call tech) from somebody because her husband has jumped in a pool and forgot to take his phone out of his pocket. His personal phone. Belonging to a person who didn't even work for the client. And she was only calling to ask me if they should go to an Apple store to get a new one.

When I first started there we did home user support*, which got axed except for "VIPs" and our "enterprise clients." The business VIPs weren't terrible, but the "enterprise clients" were actually just the poo poo slurry that fell off of the T1 desks for a huge law firm and a huge financial firm. It was entirely either home support or stuff that the law firm's T1 desk should have been able to handle in 5 minutes.

The complete lack of any scope in the contracts we signed with clients was probably the #1 reason I hated working there. So much time was spent "fixing" poo poo like iTunes not working when the answer should have been "Uh, I dunno, just live without streaming music over your residential DSL that you have your office hooked up to for some reason."

*When I interviewed I was told unequivocally it was going away in a matter of weeks, it took over a year. I made it very clear I had no interest in doing more home support when I took the job and when they broke the staff off into "Teams" I got put on the "Home Support" team. I am pretty sure I posted about it through gritted teeth and red-tinted vision at the time.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Wait so let me get this straight.

You want me to manually manipulate the repair times in a ticket to try to hide the fact that you dropped the ball big time on this?

The changes that will be logged in the ticket and will make it clear that I've done something I was very much not supposed to do? Those changes which will be egregious enough that I would probably get written up over it when they inevitably find it during the weekly ticket audit?

And I'm the rear end in a top hat for refusing?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Way to be a team player.

For content: Last oncall starts an email chain on Saturday for a hardware fault. Says "I'll call you in a bit" (gently caress you, it's the Saturday after Christmas and I have family in town, I'm sleeping in, motherfucker). Chooses not to call afterall and bugs someone else on the team who says we can leave it until Monday because it's not currently in rotation, even though it's a prod box.

We have 4-hour repair support from Dell. There's no reason why he couldn't have gone through the procedures and set up the repair for first thing this morning. I get in the office at 7am without fail every day and would gladly make the quick hop across town to do it.

No, instead, he messages me when he starts asking if I can handle the entire repair process, including contacting Dell.

Of course, I'll do the work you were supposed to do on Saturday this morning AND take over oncall AND OOO coverage for 2 out of our 6 people.

Edit: And then, of course, when I ask in the group chat for someone to watch oncall while I'm driving home tonight because it's icepocalypse outside, loving crickets.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

AlexDeGruven posted:

icepocalypse

You've got that loving right, holy poo poo it's awful outside. I'm supposed to fly to phoenix tomorrow hopefully this poo poo goes away quickly :(

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

MF_James posted:

You've got that loving right, holy poo poo it's awful outside. I'm supposed to fly to phoenix tomorrow hopefully this poo poo goes away quickly :(

Meanwhile, Buffalo, NY went from Snowvember last year, where we got upwards of 9 feet of snow dumped on us in a night, to literally no measurable amount of snow yet this year. We shattered a record that was set over 100 years ago, back when they first started recording this kind of stuff, and there's no snow in site any time soon. I personally don't mind, cause I hate shoveling that poo poo, but it's getting really depressing around here, seeing all the brown and gray that's usually covered in white.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

neogeo0823 posted:

Meanwhile, Buffalo, NY went from Snowvember last year, where we got upwards of 9 feet of snow dumped on us in a night, to literally no measurable amount of snow yet this year. We shattered a record that was set over 100 years ago, back when they first started recording this kind of stuff, and there's no snow in site any time soon. I personally don't mind, cause I hate shoveling that poo poo, but it's getting really depressing around here, seeing all the brown and gray that's usually covered in white.

And here in NYC...

I'm wearing a hoodie.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
We just got our first real snowfall in Montreal last night. We're expecting some sort of blizzard tonight, so if it's lovely outside tomorrow the boss has said we're all allowed to work from home (which I won't be doing since I still have a lot of documentation to finish before I start my new job in the new year).

Oh well, the weather was enjoyable while it lasted. I can't wait for winter to last until mid-April :(

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
8 inches. Told my guys to stay home and try not to get too high incase they have to actually go somewhere.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

larchesdanrew posted:

I'm honestly not sure on the specifics just yet. I don't start until next week and this was just something the president mentioned on the phone when I accepted the job. I figured I'd get a head start and do some research so I'd have at least some idea of what I'm going into. I'd assume it would be my school leading classes across the state. When I was in high school, it was basically a webcam and then a poo poo ton of mics at each desk, but I have no clue what the current state of distance learning is.

This is likely how it will go. Just have to figure out who in the area does this poo poo.

depends on the pedagogy model. we use WebEx and Moodle. Webcams at each end, everyone on a headset. This works with all students remote.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Renegret posted:

And here in NYC...

I'm wearing a hoodie.

It's 31 degrees here today, which is pretty much the coldest it's been so far. Christmas was 60 degrees, sunny, and breezy for most of the day. It just didn't feel right.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Boston MA. No snow this year at all. Coming from living in Syracuse, NY last winter this is weird and uncomfortable.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

go3 posted:

8 inches. Told my guys to stay home and try not to get too high incase they have to actually go somewhere.

Are you hiring any time soon?

GoatShaver
Nov 12, 2010
Its 84 and sunny.

I get paid a shitload less here, though.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Kashuno posted:

Boston MA. No snow this year at all. Coming from living in Syracuse, NY last winter this is weird and uncomfortable.

You missed our ridiculous snowpocalypse last winter. I'm perfectly willing to take 50-60 degree winters in exchange for not getting 6 feet of snow at a time every week.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Kaethela posted:

You missed our ridiculous snowpocalypse last winter. I'm perfectly willing to take 50-60 degree winters in exchange for not getting 6 feet of snow at a time every week.

I like that much snow, but then again in NY there is room to put it.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

User got upgraded from Office 2010 to Office 2013 today.

User wants his mail to be grouped by day, with the newest day at the top.

User wants each day's messages to have the oldest at the top.

:psyduck: Anyone know how to do this?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Was that even possible in 2010?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I have no idea. He insists that's how he normally did it, but today I changed which domain his laptop was a member of (from his old company we acquired) and last week he swore up and down he was logging into our domain this whole time. He's not savvy enough to know the difference.

GoatShaver
Nov 12, 2010
Yeah, I don't recall that ever being an option.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
Could be he's just confusing how his view is set up - for days, is he talking about this?

You can modify it under View > Change View > Manage Views to customize how everything shows up. Otherwise, dude's off his rocker and spewing nonsense.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

It took me a long time to be comfortable with giving the answer "No" to a user.

I walk on eggshells around my users' expectations so often that jerking my head out and realizing how minute a detail the user is asking for can be a profound experience.

"Read the mail the other way."

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Icepocalypse took out our primary and secondary ISPs by way of traffic accident somewhere in town. Also lost a few analog phone lines. Couldn't do poo poo for about 45 minutes, ended up leaving early.

Roads were pretty deserted on the way home thankfully, but it was like driving through snot. I still like it better than the 65° it was on Christmas Eve, but would really prefer snow over ice. At least it's starting to feel winter-like.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Ozz81 posted:

Could be he's just confusing how his view is set up - for days, is he talking about this?

You can modify it under View > Change View > Manage Views to customize how everything shows up. Otherwise, dude's off his rocker and spewing nonsense.

Yes, and in each of those groups the messages are to be oldest at the top. I'm testing it on my Outlook and it looks like :butt:

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Kaethela posted:

Meanwhile, down here it was 71 and humid on Christmas morning. The most snow I've ever seen was 10 inches after a freak storm. Trade?

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Larches, look up Blackboard Collaborate. I believe it's free for schools and educational organizations.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

neogeo0823 posted:

Oh of-loving-COURSE I would post this, get out from work, go "Oh, looks like it's freezeing-misting out. Ah well." and by the time I get home have this sitting out on the streets:

(lovely quality, I know, but I was pissed off and didn't wanna bother trying to take a 2nd shot)

At least it's supposed to be in the 40s tomorrow, but I was really hoping it wouldn't snow until like February or something.

Tom Swift Jr.
Nov 4, 2008

FireSight posted:

Larches, look up Blackboard Collaborate. I believe it's free for schools and educational organizations.

Definitely not free, but it's one of the cheapest ones out there. We use it, but have been looking for other options for our online classes and virtual office hours for a while now.

If you're providing your own content, I will stand behind Moodle. Just make sure whomever is writing the courses knows how to take advantage of all the features.

You didn't ask for it, but a word of warning. Teachers don't believe in copyright. They will pirate, copy and steal at every opportunity. We tell them every year what exactly fair use constitutes, but we still have to crack down at least once every other semester. This year, they were very confused why we couldn't post an entire feature film on our servers and stream it to the kids. They tried to argue that they got to show movies to the kids before the holidays at their brick and mortar schools. They don't really understand how visible posting something online can be.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Kashuno posted:

Reporting in from Syracuse: We're just now getting measurable snowfall. This winter has been so warm up to now, it's hitting my window air conditioner units.

It's weird, man.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Wizard of the Deep posted:

Reporting in from Syracuse: We're just now getting measurable snowfall. This winter has been so warm up to now, it's hitting my window air conditioner units.

It's weird, man.

So apparently the crap that hit us last night is considered sleet, because it started out as freezing rain, then turned to snow for a very brief while, then went to sleet, then thawing rain. Because of that, it's not considered measurable snowfall, and so, we continue to push back the record which previously sat at around December 12th, IIRC.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Yeah, we didn't get any 'real' snow just the same poo poo. Piles and piles of ice pellets everywhere. On the plus side, it was 40F this morning and the freeways were pretty empty.

Lots of OOO and WFH messages this morning from people who I know for a fact live closer and more urban than I do (I live in a town of 10k people 60 miles from the office and I made it in on time today, fuckers).

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Wizard of the Deep posted:

It's weird, man.

We just have sleet on the ground today. The worst kind of weather imo.

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

larchesdanrew posted:

Anyone know anything about distance learning classrooms? My first task at my new job is to deploy a bunch of them in poor districts in the state with a $500k budget.

My last experience with them was in 2002 :sweatdrop:

We use Canvas from Instructure to deliver courses to about 6k distance learning students and 30k+ on campus students. Its provided open source on git for self hosting or they provide paid hosting options.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Random Integer posted:

We use Canvas from Instructure to deliver courses to about 6k distance learning students and 30k+ on campus students. Its provided open source on git for self hosting or they provide paid hosting options.

Larches, when you present your findings, as far as you are concerned there is *only* the hosted version.

Just starting out here, you do not want to add self-hosting of an open source product to your job responsibilities right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

flosofl posted:

Larches, when you present your findings, as far as you are concerned there is *only* the hosted version.

Just starting out here, you do not want to add self-hosting of an open source product to your job responsibilities right now.
Quoting for emphasis, and I'd also urge you to go for a cloud-based option if you can. Our previous solution was single-tenant hosting, and when things broke the vendor would say "Shucks, son, looks like it's just your environment! Sorry, we'll put out a patch sometime this century." Now that we're on multi-tenant cloud/butt hosting, it's either working or it's broken for all of North America.

• Locked thread