Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
No trailers and a program? thanks Quentin!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

McSpanky posted:

Trancers 6? Trancers 6?! How have I not known that Trancers was a franchise before now.

1-3 are all rad as hell and worth a watch. After that they just kind of... gave up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6YTPF5Tnl4

Even my JACK DETH ULTIMATE COLLECTION doesn't have Trancers 6 though. I've never seen it.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Trying to watch an avant-garde film now and it's just not working. This genre is a total blind spot for me.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

corn in the bible posted:

1-3 are all rad as hell and worth a watch. After that they just kind of... gave up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6YTPF5Tnl4

Even my JACK DETH ULTIMATE COLLECTION doesn't have Trancers 6 though. I've never seen it.
That's because Jack Deth isn't in it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

FishBulb posted:

No trailers and a program? thanks Quentin!
Right? It was so dope going straight into the overture with no AMC preshow stuff or anything.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Vegetable posted:

Trying to watch an avant-garde film now and it's just not working. This genre is a total blind spot for me.

What were you watching and what would you consider "avant garde"? I feel like it's a pretty loose term.

Give Koyaanisqatsi a shot if you haven't, that's very accessible

Punch Drunk Drewsky
Jul 22, 2008

No one can stop the movies.
I usually stick to the "Recommend Me" thread but I finished up something ya'll might appreciate.

My three favorite movies of the year as they stand are The Midnight Swim, Creed, and Magic Mike XXL. I was happy with my TMS and Creed writing but kept feeling like I was missing something with MMXXL.

So I watched it about five times and wrote a big piece about how Gregory Jacobs and Steven Soderbergh used allusions to seminal queer cinema to impart sex-positive lessons about respecting diversity, . Curious as to ya'lls thoughts here or there.

My "cheer up" movie used to be Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure but I think MMXXL has supplanted it. Didn't stop grinning and laughing during any of those rewatches.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Avant-garde isn't really a genre...

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Vegetable posted:

which film?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

morestuff posted:

What were you watching and what would you consider "avant garde"? I feel like it's a pretty loose term.

Give Koyaanisqatsi a shot if you haven't, that's very accessible
I was watching Those Who Feel the Fire Burning, a new documentary about refugees in Europe. It's gotten some good reviews but I couldn't bring myself to care for it. The film's certainly experimental, maybe not avant-garde?

I know Sans Soleil is a classic, and yeah, I've seen Koyaanisqatsi. It was enjoyable for sure.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Punch Drunk Drewsky posted:

I usually stick to the "Recommend Me" thread but I finished up something ya'll might appreciate.

My three favorite movies of the year as they stand are The Midnight Swim, Creed, and Magic Mike XXL. I was happy with my TMS and Creed writing but kept feeling like I was missing something with MMXXL.

So I watched it about five times and wrote a big piece about how Gregory Jacobs and Steven Soderbergh used allusions to seminal queer cinema to impart sex-positive lessons about respecting diversity, . Curious as to ya'lls thoughts here or there.

My "cheer up" movie used to be Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure but I think MMXXL has supplanted it. Didn't stop grinning and laughing during any of those rewatches.

I think Film Crit Hulk names it as one of his favourite movies ever this year because it's so much about celebrating women of all kinds and their pleasure. I loved MMXXL and it's a shame that I think people are generally happy to dismiss it a bit too easily.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Snak posted:

Avant-garde isn't really a genre...

Yes it is, historically.

Just get down with the Brakhage, vegetable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5P5vkegmvU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

what would avant garde be if not a genre?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

what would avant garde be if not a genre?

An idiom.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
Quick reminder that Scanners has 4 sequels inexplicably.

Punch Drunk Drewsky
Jul 22, 2008

DrVenkman posted:

I think Film Crit Hulk names it as one of his favourite movies ever this year because it's so much about celebrating women of all kinds and their pleasure. I loved MMXXL and it's a shame that I think people are generally happy to dismiss it a bit too easily.

Glad to see a fellow MMXXL lover. My infatuation with Film Crit Hulk ended hard but I appreciated some of his thoughts. The writer I really dug on it was Outlaw Vern's - specifically "What makes the movie so unique is its effortlessly respectful, even worshipful view of female sexuality. It’s all about men taking very seriously their profession of titillating women of all types."

It's what convinced me to go deep diving and I'm really happy I did.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Do I need to see Magic Mike first to fully appreciate MMXXL?

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Very interested to check that out now. I thought Magic Mike was one of the better Soderbergh flicks (I'm not the biggest fan of his) and passed off the sequel as a cashgrab.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Very interested to check that out now. I thought Magic Mike was one of the better Soderbergh flicks (I'm not the biggest fan of his) and passed off the sequel as a cashgrab.

Soderbergh filmed and cut XXL, and it was written by the same guy. I'd say it's a Soderbergh movie in everything but the name on the tin but I wasn't there and don't want to diminish Gregory Jacobs' contributions.

I liked it quite a bit (even though I never got around to seeing the first one), but thought a lot of the dance scenes were weirdly disappointing

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

if Soderbergh is for real retired from feature films, Magic Mike would've been such a better movie to go out on than Side Effects.

although, actuslly, was Behind the Candelabra post-Side Effects? that one was pretty good.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

if Soderbergh is for real retired from feature films, Magic Mike would've been such a better movie to go out on than Side Effects.

although, actuslly, was Behind the Candelabra post-Side Effects? that one was pretty good.

Yeah, at least in terms of release date. I think BtC sat around for a while.

Also Side Effects rules

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

morestuff posted:

Yeah, at least in terms of release date. I think BtC sat around for a while.

Also Side Effects rules

i strongly disagree. one of the very few Soderberghs i outright dislike.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Yeah, Behind the Candelabra was his last.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

you know what was fuckin dope? Contagion

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I liked Side Effects. I haven't seen either MM yet.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i strongly disagree. one of the very few Soderberghs i outright dislike.

I know a lot of people were turned off that it wasn't a stronger indictment of the pharmaceutical industry, but I loved the ambiguity of it.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

morestuff posted:

I know a lot of people were turned off that it wasn't a stronger indictment of the pharmaceutical industry, but I loved the ambiguity of it.

i was just turned off that it goes on a dime from nuanced and mature to Adrian Lyne territory like halfway through. such a disappointment. in retrospect, it felt like the movie some people accused Gone Girl of being.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

morestuff posted:

I really liked the idea that the movie was sold as an indictment of the pharmaceutical industry, but ended up being about a character exploiting people's bias against big pharma for their own devices. I think that was a really clever misdirection.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i was just turned off that it goes on a dime from nuanced and mature to Adrian Lyne territory like halfway through. such a disappointment. in retrospect, it felt like the movie some people accused Gone Girl of being.

I've feel like I've posted about this a lot, so sorry for being repetitive, but that read as part of the larger point to me. As a society we're getting better equipped to handle mental health issues that are self-destructive, but when that turns outward we fall back into old patterns.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

morestuff posted:

I've feel like I've posted about this a lot, so sorry for being repetitive, but that read as part of the larger point to me. As a society we're getting better equipped to handle mental health issues that are self-destructive, but when that turns outward we fall back into old patterns.

if the movie felt like it did anything interesting or outside-the-box with that, instead of just using the mid-film shift to turn into a subpar knockoff of Primal Fear, i might be inclined to agree with you

hell, if it even turned into a good 90s thriller i might enjoy it - i do enjoy Primal Fear, for what it is, but it's not the kind of movie where you want to catch yourself saying about something else "well, it was no Primal Fear"

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Dec 28, 2015

Punch Drunk Drewsky
Jul 22, 2008

Ror posted:

Do I need to see Magic Mike first to fully appreciate MMXXL?

Nah. There are some visual / audio callbacks and Tatum's first routine is a variation of the Ginuwine "Pony" dance he gives in MM. Everything else you would need to know is explained in MMXXL efficiently.

morestuff posted:

I liked it quite a bit (even though I never got around to seeing the first one), but thought a lot of the dance scenes were weirdly disappointing

I'm a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge fan of the Step Up movies including and after the second one. Depending on the day I may say Step Up 3D is in my top 20. The dances in MMXXL I love but don't quite hold up to the Step Up standard. That said the only one I was disappointed in was "Candy Shop" as it didn't incorporate one of the stripper crew's talents like Tarzan's art or Ken's amazing singing voice.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

if the movie felt like it did anything interesting or outside-the-box with that, instead of just using the mid-film shift to turn into a subpar knockoff of Primal Fear, i might be inclined to agree with you

hell, if it even turned into a good 90s thriller i might enjoy it - i do enjoy Primal Fear, for what it is, but it's not the kind of movie where you want to catch yourself saying about something else "well, it was no Primal Fear"

Weirdly enough I just watched Primal Fear for the first time the other day. It's like 90% of a really good thriller torpedoed by everything about Norton's character.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Are we talking about Magic Mike XXL? Because that's one of the best films this year that nobody's talking about. No, you don't need to see Magic Mike to get it. I didn't see Magic Mike.

It's insane how sex-positive it is. Like it should be played in high school classrooms. Kids need to learn.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

morestuff posted:

Weirdly enough I just watched Primal Fear for the first time the other day. It's like 90% of a really good thriller torpedoed by everything about Norton's character.

Norton's character is the kind that obviously only exists in fiction but it's just about a mechanically perfect performance of that character

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Cinema Discusso continues to influence the critical conversation:

https://twitter.com/neonwario/status/681138204196646912

Corek fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Dec 28, 2015

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Right now it feels like my UMass job is Glenngary Glenn Rossing me. With the job they give me a stack of randomly selected addresses and I have to get the survey filled out at those addresses. The vast majority of addresses I've had either contain print that don't speak English or just have no interest in doing a survey, even for $20. It should be noted that we aren't supposed to press that hard and we are supposed to take "no" for an answer. My immediate boss was telling me that she knows I'm doing every thing I can but if I don't start getting better results soon, they might have to let me go. It's like god damnit, YOU get results with these poo poo leads :mad:

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The fuckin' leads are weak? You're weak.

e: sorry

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Man I still need to see Step Up: Revolution and Step Up: All In

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Punch Drunk Drewsky posted:

I finally saw The Midnight Swim and loved it so I can finally read this.

• Locked thread