Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

FactsAreUseless posted:

Blue Mages have inherent Learning, they'll learn attacks when they get hit by them. You can also put Learning as your secondary skill on other classes after like... a level of Blue Mage.

Or you can master Blue Mage and Freelancer will gain Learning as a permanent passive :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

NikkolasKing posted:

Do you think you can ride this chocobo?

A bit of a cliche response to listing XIII-2's positives but sometimes a cliche is the best answer.

As for other reasons to play XIII-2...uh....I'd say Caius but that tends to be a Love It or Hate it subject. I liked Noel but again, L/H. Hm. It's an extremely bizarre romp where the developers were clearly just throwing poo poo at the wall to see what stuck. It has puzzles, QTE's, quiz games, multiple endings, time travel, and much more. It's hard to pin down exactly why I like the game, to be honest.

But yes, Lightning is nowhere near as cool as Raiden. She reminds me more of the old Dante who the writers clearly though twas so cool but in reality he was anything but.

First off, by old Dante, you mean "before snarky little poo poo Dante from DMC4"?

Secondly, I'd rather take a cliche since well... apparently XIII is the one that seems to literally take the title "Worst Final Fantasy game in the series", excluding spinoffs.

And thirdly, ow the edge who thought this was a good idea

Not sure on the chocobo. Get back to me on that.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I never played DMC4. I was forever sullied on the character by 3. I wanted nothing more than to punch him repeatedly but even if I could he'd just pull an "awesome" dodge and make a "badass' quip.

He wasn't this intolerable in the first game and he barely even talked in 2. But apparently the guy who made the character wasn't even around by 3 and 4 so I guess they just made up a whole new persona for him but decided to keep calling him Dante. It's like Leon from Resident Evil 4 but not good.

On the matter of XIII-2, as Imp says, the game is very self-aware. A lot of it is absolutely ridiculous and the characters comment on it.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Dec 28, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

widespread posted:

And thirdly, ow the edge who thought this was a good ide

It is supposed to be comical.

NikkolasKing posted:

I never played DMC4. I was forever sullied on the character by 3. I wanted nothing more than to punch him repeatedly but even if I could he'd just pull an "awesome" dodge and make a "badass' quip.

He wasn't this intolerable in the first game and he barely even talked in 2. But apparently the guy who made the character wasn't even around by 3 and 4 so I guess they just made up a whole new persona for him but decided to keep calling him Dante. It's like Leon from Resident Evil 4 but not good.

You really, really, really misunderstood the game. DMC3 Dante is a giant dork who tries to act cool. That is the point of him. He's an immature kid trying to be a cool guy and everyone around him basically treats him as such. People think he is cool and funny because he is a completely self-confident dude who acts like a giant spaz without caring but the game is absolutely in on that. The opening is him trying to save his pizza from danger and failing at it.

Like there's an entire scene in DMC4 where he has a giant goofy opera-off with a joke character and it is funny because both of them are playing it entirely straight despite it being fundamentally ridiculous. DMC3 takes the idea that a guy who makes quips like "Flock off, feather face" and occasionally screams about filling your dark soul with LiiiIIiight is in fact exactly that kind of dorky dude.

(It's also why nobody likes DMC2 where he lacks any form of personality at all and is in fact a boring 'cool' guy.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Dec 28, 2015

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

widespread posted:

Since everyone won't stop talking about pink-haired female Raiden, I would like for someone to sell me on any of the trilogy. Keep in mind, I only played FFIV a bit- post Mist Dragon murder and subsequent bombing- and have most of my FF hours sunk into FFRK. And as far as other genres go? Well... I like the shoostings and Diablo 3's mechanics are warming up to me.

I said sell me on it not further ruin it for me

just play lightning returns. it's good. it's an open world jrpg with good combat and funny writing

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Crazy Chocobo and DMC3+4 Dante are tryhard edgy now? Did I wander into the Bad Opinion Zone again?

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Augus posted:

Crazy Chocobo and DMC3+4 Dante are tryhard edgy now? Did I wander into the Bad Opinion Zone again?

No, you didn't. It's just I absolutely forgot pretty much everything about DMC3 and most of 4, then went off of 5.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Augus posted:

I've been running into that all month.

But DMC3+4 Dante is extremely cool and DmC Dante is the definition of tryhard edgy. Crazy Chocobo is awesome because you're absolutely not meant to take it seriously and the concept is ridiculous enough to be funny.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
What the gently caress is happening in this thread

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Baal posted:

It makes perfect sense.

Cloud is from Final Fantasy
Final Fantasy is in Smash Brothers with Fire Emblem
Fire Emblem is in #FE with Shin Megami Tensei
Shin Megami Tensei guest-starred Dante.

Ergo Dante is Final Fantasy.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Baal posted:

I asked people to sell me on "Lightning's FantastIcal Journey: The Final Fantasy 13 Trilogy", then someone made a Dante comparison, my mind went to Donte instead, and now we got this far.

Related, but should I stick to XIII-2 and LR then?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Play whatever video games you think you should play or want to play

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

widespread posted:

I asked people to sell me on "Lightning's FantastIcal Journey: The Final Fantasy 13 Trilogy", then someone made a Dante comparison, my mind went to Donte instead, and now we got this far.

Related, but should I stick to XIII-2 and LR then?

Honestly just play LR if you're not going to play FFXIII. XIII-2 is really not worth it on its own.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

ImpAtom posted:

It is supposed to be comical.

You really, really, really misunderstood the game. DMC3 Dante is a giant dork who tries to act cool. That is the point of him. He's an immature kid trying to be a cool guy and everyone around him basically treats him as such. People think he is cool and funny because he is a completely self-confident dude who acts like a giant spaz without caring but the game is absolutely in on that. The opening is him trying to save his pizza from danger and failing at it.

Like there's an entire scene in DMC4 where he has a giant goofy opera-off with a joke character and it is funny because both of them are playing it entirely straight despite it being fundamentally ridiculous. DMC3 takes the idea that a guy who makes quips like "Flock off, feather face" and occasionally screams about filling your dark soul with LiiiIIiight is in fact exactly that kind of dorky dude.

(It's also why nobody likes DMC2 where he lacks any form of personality at all and is in fact a boring 'cool' guy.)

DMC3 is supposed to be comical and I don't know what kind of lack of a sense of humor you'd have to be to not see that

https://youtu.be/YfL1s-W2ZbE?t=4m36s <---- surfing on rockets

DMC3 Dante is a literal B-movie action hero, like Ash Williams from The Evil Dead.
And yeah, by DMC4 they go hardcore on it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7a28MvHXHo <--- Dante is more extravagant than the monologue from V for Vendetta here, singing and confetti.

its all on purpose and it works great. Its hilarious and over the top.
Good satire is also an example of the thing its satirizing.

Wait why are we talking about this in the FF thread :confused:

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Dec 28, 2015

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Honestly just play LR if you're not going to play FFXIII. XIII-2 is really not worth it on its own.

Fair enough. I wasn't gonna play XIII anyways since a) I can't be hosed to hook up my 360, and b) the PC port is still 60 loving GB why can't they just compress it in a patch god dammit

Zaphod42 posted:

Wait why are we talking about this in the FF thread :confused:

Someone compared Lighting to DMC1/2 Dante. Plus I dunno maybe Lightning's getting a schemata of Dante's outfit

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

NikkolasKing posted:

Has anyone here actually just played only Lightning Returns? Just skipped right ahead to the third game in a connected RPG trilogy?

I played twenty minutes of XIII, saw the then-growing internet opinion, and never picked it back up. Just recently got LR because it's a Tri-Ace product.

Probably won't get any further than the hour I've already played for awhile, got Hyrule Warriors for Christmas and oh my that game is incredibly fun. Haven't gotten down with a Musou game in ages.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I mean, 13-2 is also a Tri-Ace product.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

widespread posted:

Someone compared Lighting to DMC1/2 Dante. Plus I dunno maybe Lightning's getting a schemata of Dante's outfit

Lightning is just female Cloud

I mean comeon

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Lighting is my waifu

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Raiden was the initial comparison and I merely amended the analogy to Dante, who I hate. And who I will always hate because clearly I 'm bigot full of irrational hatred. I just never saw any of this "endearing goofiness" you guys did. I saw big, flashy cutscenes that I'm sure Capcom included for a reason. Big,flashy sword fights between bishie anime characters are usually, ya know, included so you think the fighters are oh so cool. As for jumping on rockets, see how well that worked out for Solid Snake. It didn't make him any cooler, that's for sure.

To bring things back home to FF, what about the Laughing Scene? We've all explained time and time again that it was intentionally that way. But does that make people hate it less? No. I'm afraid it's that way with me and Dante. I understand what you're saying Imp and maybe if I ever beat all other video games on Earth I'll replay DMC3 with this mindset but I still hate him.

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

I played twenty minutes of XIII, saw the then-growing internet opinion, and never picked it back up. Just recently got LR because it's a Tri-Ace product.

In the post-Infinite Undiscovery and Star Ocean 4 world, it's rare to see a person who will pick up a game because it's tri-Ace. And I don't even hate SO4, I'm just saying it's a surprising motive.

Also XIII-2 is tri-Ace, as noted.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Dec 28, 2015

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Do you realise that Dante is not real

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
The duck is the Laughing Scene

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

To bring things back home to FF, what about the Laughing Scene? We've all explained time and time again that it was intentionally thatway. But does that make people hate it less? No. I'm afraid it's that way with me and Dante. I understand what you're saying Imp and maybe if I ever beat all other video games on Earth I'll replay DMC3 with this mindset but I still hate him.

What? I would never say that the laughing scene (assuming you're talking about FFX) was intentionally goofy. I would just say that's a misstep because it was literally the very first final fantasy game with voice acting. They went from a bunch of text boxes to having thousands of hours of recorded dialogue. You're going to have one line in there which sounds stupid, poo poo happens. No biggie? And its kinda funny how bad it is in retrospect, but I wouldn't say that was intended to be bad at all.

Lol you're getting awfully bent out of shape over a video game character.

Dante's just an action hero who hits stuff. I don't know why its such a big deal.

NikkolasKing posted:

I will always hate because clearly I 'm bigot full of irrational hatred

Uh okay guy. Dante Dante Dante!

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

In the post-Infinite Undiscovery and Star Ocean 4 world, it's rare to see a person who will pick up a game because it's tri-Ace. And I don't even hate SO4, I'm just saying it's a surprising motive.

Resonance of Fate came out years after those games.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I didn't try Star Ocean 4, but wasn't there something about it that was much worse on the PS3 version to the point some people preferred dealing with the disc swapping of the X360?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

NikkolasKing posted:

Raiden was the initial comparison and I merely amended the analogy to Dante, who I hate. And who I will always hate because clearly I 'm bigot full of irrational hatred. I just never saw any of this "endearing goofiness" you guys did. I saw big, flashy cutscenes that I'm sure Capcom included for a reason. Big,flashy sword fights between bishie anime characters are usually, ya know, included so you think the fighters are oh so cool. As for jumping on rockets, see how well that worked out for Solid Snake. It didn't make him any cooler, that's for sure.

You're fuckin dumb, sorry man.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Tae posted:

Resonance of Fate came out years after those games.

I've heard of that game but I recall nothing in detail. Was it really good?

Saoshyant posted:

I didn't try Star Ocean 4, but wasn't there something about it that was much worse on the PS3 version to the point some people preferred dealing with the disc swapping of the X360?

Not that I know of. I played the PS3 International version and it's largely agreed, by the five or so people who like SO4, that it's the definitive version. Increased difficulty, some gameplay breaking stuff being nerfed, Japanese audio track, and some other minor stuff.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

NikkolasKing posted:

Not that I know of. I played the PS3 International version and it's largely agreed, upon the five people who like SO4, that it's the definitive version. Increased difficulty, some gameplay breaking stuff nerfs, Japanese audio track, and some other minor stuff.

Well then, I should look into getting that one at some point.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

I've heard of that game but I recall nothing in detail. Was it really good?

One thing I've noticed about that game is the ridiculous gun mods. Like, you could put a scope on top of a scope on top of a silencer which was in front of a silencer which was oh god I've gone crosseyed

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The laughing scene is interesting because, despite intentionally being bad, it still manages to be so bad it transcends its intention and is just straight-up laughably bad in so many ways.

I still like it because Final Fantasy is best when it embraces how fucky goofy its genre is. We just watched a dream whale's children get fought off by some guy's creepy fish demon summon and then the already-emotionally-distraught protagonist finds out the dream whale is actually his father and the only thing keeping him sane is the cute summoner chick urging him to laugh so what the gently caress might as well laugh like a loving idiot because my entire god drat life is hosed up what the gently caress is even going on anymore just loving kill me.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Resonance of Fate is a fun game that suffers from having a plot that is literally incoherent. Not FFXIII "dumb-incoherent" but "the plot literally makes no sense" mixed with a combat system that has a lot of depth that doesn't really need to be exploited unless you're playing on a higher difficulty mode which is only unlocked after you finish the game once.

I liked it a fair but not in the least because of an absurd anime dressup customization system but it can get pretty repetitive on a first playthrough since a lot of enemies don't need you to master the mechanics.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

It has the best dub though, a shame Nolan North doesn't do more jrpgs.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I've been playing Dissidia again and Laguna feels like absolute poo poo to do anything with and Yuna is even worse. I'm having fun with Vaan and Lightning tho, Tifa's p eh and Kain's fun if only because hitting anything with one of his HP Attacks that trail on is hilarious especially if you do the air drill from the highest point of the stage since it just racks up BRV.

The voice acting is better than I gave this game credit for too, but Tifa's voice actor is not good at the acting part and Kuja's voice actor is alright but his voice is way too loving high-pitched.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Game developers need to stop having fun with the games they make, because gamers don't like having fun and will get annoyed and take the scene where confetti shoots out of the ground 100% seriously.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
The Final Fantasy thread has always been home to bad opinions.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Baal posted:

I've been playing Dissidia again and Laguna feels like absolute poo poo to do anything with and Yuna is even worse. I'm having fun with Vaan and Lightning tho, Tifa's p eh and Kain's fun if only because hitting anything with one of his HP Attacks that trail on is hilarious especially if you do the air drill from the highest point of the stage since it just racks up BRV.

The voice acting is better than I gave this game credit for too, but Tifa's voice actor is not good at the acting part and Kuja's voice actor is alright but his voice is way too loving high-pitched.

I'm not sure but I think Laguna might literally be at the bottom of the tier list

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
He is, but I haven't played 012 consistently since it came out and didn't really assess how characters felt in the game back then.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

I'm not sure but I think Laguna might literally be at the bottom of the tier list

Bartz is the bottom of the list IIRC but Laguna is just above him.

I think the top is like Ultimicia, Prishe, Lightning, Exdeath and Squall in some variety of order.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Also the change to running around the open world is a bad change because using the game's normal movement for an open plain sucks rear end and so is encountering rando Manikins, that being said the board game style poo poo got tedious as hell too so there's not really a good middle man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Resonance of Fate is a fun game that suffers from having a plot that is literally incoherent. Not FFXIII "dumb-incoherent" but "the plot literally makes no sense" mixed with a combat system that has a lot of depth that doesn't really need to be exploited unless you're playing on a higher difficulty mode which is only unlocked after you finish the game once.

I liked it a fair but not in the least because of an absurd anime dressup customization system but it can get pretty repetitive on a first playthrough since a lot of enemies don't need you to master the mechanics.

Would you say it's inferior to NieR and Lightning Returns? Those are my RPGs for January. I'll get RoF later sometime if it's not as good.